Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I'm an avid reader and read most genres of books. I love reading short stories, especially written by southern writers. For my summer 2021 reads, I chose fictional short stories because my attention span was limited to short spurts of reading. I had so much to do in such a short time frame. The first book I chose was Downhome, An Anthology, a collection of short stories by Southern writers. The second book I chose was a collection of Mark Twain’s short stories. What a great writer of satire! These books did not leave me disappointed. I laughed, I cried, and I was inspired to write.

In early June 2021, a young male friend made the comment to me that it would take a “spectacular” man to come into my life at this point. I agreed! With thoughts racing, I began writing by defining a spectacular man. What were the qualities and requirements of a spectacular man? Could the spectacular man actually be an altered reality? Could women my age settle for less? And if so, why? I furiously wrote for several nights, then added hilarious examples of my own exploits. I knew I wanted this short story to be a satire at the end. Have I succeeded? Only time will tell because I keep adding and editing my short story.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  3:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Watson (#8290) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I'm not very interested in government or politics but when I saw this badge, I decided that now was a good time to review things I learned in school and to learn new things. I took all of the questions under all three levels, Beginner, Intermediate and Expert, then researched everything until I found all of the answers. So, I have completed all three levels.

I feel that I have revisited information I learned in school many years ago and that I've learned some new information. Hopefully I can carry on somewhat of a conversation with someone with my acquired knowledge.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Roseanna Nicholson (Roseanna N., #8415) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Hello to all of you! I'm in my 70s and participating in this program to help my grandchildren learn of new hobbies, past times, and a good work ethic. I have fed and observed back yard birds from childhood. This time of year, we can find at least 15 species of birds at our feeders and have kept lists of birds found on our property for years.

Wish List: A Kentucky Warbler on our own property, Eastern whip-poor-will, Connecticut Warbler, Red-headed woodpecker and a Long-tailed Duck. I'm waiting for the arrival of my little house wrens to return this spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I thought of several ways reduce my trash through reusing and reducing. This includes composting and reusing several items.

This merit badge turned out good. Attached is a list of item that I have used to reduce our trash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I planted herbs in AeroGarden and in my greenhouse. I ate spearmint on pears; it was a bit weak on the flavor. I'll try again when more grows. Had fish with marjoram (and lemon pepper)—it was really good! Now I'm waiting for more to grow to complete expert.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I started by researching rennet both animal and vegetable forms as well as mesophilic culture to make hard cheese. I tried the white cheddar cheese recipe.

It didn't turn out like I would have wanted but I'll try again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“For this badge I made cream cheese with herbs, Manchego, ricotta and mozarella cheese. I enjoyed making the soft cheese, it was quickly rewarding. The hard cheese take time to ripen so you need patience.

This was fun. I learned a lot and I know I will continue to make the soft cheese for my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“The different types of clay available are earthenware, mid and high-fire clay, stoneware clay, ball clay, and porcelain clay. I researched how each one was fired.

The pottery supply store is called the Mad Potter's which has all types of glazes and pre-made ceramics to paint. Allie got us some clay and we started working on our clay pieces.

The book was very informative. It made going to the ceramic shop more educational.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“The three most common types of kilns are electric, gas and wood. Electric kilns are probably the most common type of kiln used in ceramics.

Oxidation firing is typically done in an electric kiln, but can also be done in a gas kiln. Oxygen is free to interact with the glazes when firing.

High fire clay is stronger when it's mature than mid fire clay.

I made a couple of pieces and went to them Mad-Potter and spoke with them. They explained about the different glazes. I purchased some different colors, then painted my pieces and had them fired.

It was interesting to learn so much about different types of clays and firings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I chose to research Elizabeth II. Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926) is Queen of the United Kingdom and 14 other Commonwealth realms. Elizabeth was born in Mayfair, London. She was educated privately at home.

When her father died in February 1952, Elizabeth—then 25 years old—became queen regnant of seven independent Commonwealth countries: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, and Ceylon, as well as Head of the Commonwealth.  There are very few in her walk of life that have been in power for 70 years. She has had and amazing life from being crowned at a young age to a leader in the world of politics. Her biography is full of interesting stories and details of her very colorful life. A beautiful woman in power today.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“The atmosphere protects life on earth by shielding it from incoming ultraviolet (UV) radiation, keeping the planet warm through insulation, and preventing extremes between day and night temperatures.

High-pressure areas usually are areas of fair, settled weather. Low-pressure areas are places where the atmosphere is relatively thin. Winds blow inward toward these areas. This causes air to rise, producing clouds and condensation.

A barometer is an instrument that measures atmospheric pressure.

During the day, air above the land heats up faster than air over water. Warm air over land expands and rises, and heavier, cooler air rushes in to take its place, creating wind. Air temperatures ahead of the front are warmer than temperatures in the cold air mass behind the front. A cold front forms when a cold air mass pushes into a warmer air mass. Cold fronts can produce dramatic changes in the weather. They move fast—up to twice as fast as a warm front.

I liked doing the research it gave me a clear picture of the weather forecast.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Clouds form when the invisible water vapor in the air condenses into visible water droplets or ice crystals.

Cloud Classification:
Cirrus
Cirrostratus
Altocumulus
Stratus
Cumulus
Cumulus congestus
Shelf cloud

The weather predictions for our area for the next few days is cumulonimbus clouds (rain clouds). this took me back to grammar school when we made cloud formations with cotton balls.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“In my community they are very aware of diffent types of disabilities. The city has had recreational class for people of all ages with diabilities. As buildings are renovated, everything has to be brought up to ADA standards. As for my house, it can easily be used for some one with different types of disabilities. I have a lot of older friends and some have mobility issues. It is just a matter of being patient and understanding.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:46:12 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I used resources to research my family roots and gained more information. I used other sources to find out more information about my family. My sister and I were able to locate a cousin of ours. She was adopted by a family in California and was searching for her birth mother. I am happy to say that we will be meeting her in person soon, and we are so happy to have a new member of our family. I plan to keep digging into the archives to find out more about our family!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I read The Book of Awesome and started a gratitude journal. This was a fantastic way to remember to focus on the good things in life. I did enjoy the book so much I read more than one entry per day. I also started a thread on the chatroom (last year when I was reading the book) and it was amazing to hear everyone's "awesome" things. Especially with so many negative events happening in the world. I have to put an end date on this but I plan to continue my gratitude journal. It's been by my bed since last year and I write in it every night to end the day thinking of something positive.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate! Merit Badge!

“For this badge I read the book The True History of Chocolate and I sampled a lot of chocolate!

This badge was so fun! Two things that I really enjoyed from the book was finding out that drinking chocolate used to be only for royalty, and all the ways that chocolate was faked - such as adding brick dust or painting pebbles to look like cocoa beans! Crazy! I loved sampling different chocolates from local(ish) chocolate shops. One is in my home town but the other two are both about an hour away. I like all chocolate (dark, milk, and white) but my favorite is dark chocolate with mint. I also like chocolate and coconut. I do not like chocolate covered bacon or chocolate covered potato chips :( My all time favorite chocolate is a cuppa hot cocoa with a couple drops of mint oil and fresh whipped cream or marshmallows. I'm looking forward to the next two levels of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“I've been making butter for years so it was fun to see this as a badge this year! It was funny to me that while I've been doing this I never looked into the history of butter. As a dairy farmer, I know the importance of keeping all your equipment clean and sanitized to prevent bad bugs from growing. I also know that the shelf life of homemade butter varies based upon how well it's washed and kneaded, what temperature it's stored at, and how long it's stored. For short term storage I find the refrigerator is best. For long term storage I keep mine in the deep freezer.

This turned out great. It was fun to look into the history of butter. A couple of fun facts I found out are: Irish butter was placed in barrels and buried in bogs for storage. Today those ancient barrels (some dated to 400 BC) are the most common archaeological finds in the Emerald Isle. And, margarine was invented before WWII. Napoleon held a competition in 1869 looking for a cheap, plentiful substitute to butter. The winning recipe was made with beef fat, milk, and salt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I found three local organizations and picked the food pantry/thrift store as my main one. The other two are the church and my quilt guilds. The guilds make quilts for babies, pillowcases for the school kids, and quilts for families who have lost homes in fires.

My journal documents my activities and I even tried to get others to volunteer as well. Some of my duties are: stocking pantry shelves, receiving donations and processing them, shopping assistance, stocking and rotating store stock, and communicating with customers on how we can best meet their needs.

I donated 10 hours of community service.

I'm not a member of a Farmgirl Chapter.

This experience was great. I continue to be involved and look forward to my involvement days. It was a great opportunity to get to know people in my community as well as to recover in a functional/challenging way after my injury. My intent was to benefit others and I was surprised when it benefited me as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I completed an additional 20 hours of volunteer work.

I talked with the volunteer director and the organizer.

I continue to track progress.

It is turning out wonderful. I enjoy chatting with our director and hearing the history of the service. I adore her heart for the community.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I chose five needs I could fill. I'm keeping some private. One I decided on was a fundraiser to provide camp scholarships for the youth group.

I'm working on my own community service to support the youth group and encourage healthy family building activities.

I worked an additional 40 hours.

So far it's going well. It's in the early stages so there is still a lot yet to be seen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“We donated a bunch of extra tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and squash. I also canned extra tomato sauce to share. As an added bonus we share extra eggs as well!

People didn't complain and seemed to enjoy the bounty.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“We got creative and did some container gardening. I also learned how to save seeds. I was not able to produce much of my own with the limitations and what I did produce I shared.

I volunteer and try to get others involved.

I attempted plant starts four times last year. Disaster struck each time! Our soil samples revealed the soil was not great. Because of my injury and inability to keep plants alive I ended up buying plants as well as contributing to other gardens. It was a little late in the season once I figured things out. The crop failures fed the animals ... that is something, I guess.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“I was unable to do my own garden because of my injury so I helped at a friend's garden. A few of us worked together to provide more 'extra' for the community and we divided the responsibilities. The harvest was donated to the food pantry as well as the church. We also personally delivered to families we knew would benefit from it.

I continue to volunteer at our food pantry as well as helping out with community meals at the church.

This year we're having a plant sale fundraiser and an option is to purchase plants to donate to a community garden located closer to town.

What we did last year was great. It was really nice to work as a team and bond as friends in the process. I'm excited to see where this next stage will go.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I keep a gratitude journal and read The Book Of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. It was interesting to read the book and helped me to get new perspectives. I read it a couple times.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  12:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (Sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I verbally thank people for their service when I see them in public and can tell they do not get it very often. I've made it a practice to carry cards and envelopes around to make gratitude more personal to the service I received.

I like to see the smiles. Those jobs are difficult and they see a lot of yucky and heartbreaking things. I know it makes a difference to them when we express that we understand what they sacrifice personally for people they don't know.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page