Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  11:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level I Should Have Been in the Movies Merit Badge!

“I chose to start working on this badge because I was asked to do a seed germination presentation for our Brentwood Farmgirl Chapter. I went in the bathroom and I practiced in front of the mirror. I made half size poster boards for six visual aids and a week prior, I started some seeds germinating using different methods for examples. I wrote down my experience in the journal and I've included pictures.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level I Should Have Been in the Movies Merit Badge!

“I practiced in front of the mirror for the beginner level and then I practiced in front of my husband. I gave my presentation at our Brentwood March 17th chapter meeting. Everyone basically just said good job. One way to improve is instead of being on a computer zoom meeting where I could only show half of the board on the screen at a time I would present to a live audience, have a table set up with all my supplies and use an easel to display my presentation boards. In the picture collage, you can see the Zoom computer meeting screen during the meeting and one of the comments that a Farmgirl sister posted on our Facebook page. It was good.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Beatriz Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I borrowed MaryJane's Ideabook from the MJF library and made a chandelier following the instructions in the book. My chandelier is not exactly like MaryJane's, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I didn't have an old garden gate but I did have some old chicken fencing that I was able to use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  11:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Beatriz Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I split wood using MaryJane's "Brains, Not Brawn" method. Before I was splitting wood the way my husband showed me (brawn force). I ended up just wearing myself out and chasing the wood every time it fell off the block.

Using MaryJane's method of splitting is some much easier. I was able to split wood and add to our wood pile.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Beatriz Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I split wood for our outdoor wood stove using our wood splitter. When our splitter broke I used MaryJane's "Brains, Not Brawn" method to finish splitting the wood I needed (a cord) to earn this badge.

Stacking is my favorite part of splitting wood. I guess you could say I'm a little OCD. Everyone who comes over can't get over how nice my wood pile looks. We start cutting wood early since we have an outdoor wood stove.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Gabrielle Campbell (#7820) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I've gone into great detail studying famous photographers. My favorite photographer is Dorothea Lange. Dorothea Lange was an American documentary photographer whose portraits of displaced farmers during the Great Depression greatly influenced later documentary and journalistic photography. I connect with her images in a significant way. My great grandfather lost his farm the the Great Depression. She was a significant part of documenting farm life as it was. I currently live and raise my children on my farm. I have photos of my family's farm in the years that Dorothea Lange was traveling. I often wonder if she ever crossed Iowa in the Great Depression.

It turned out wonderful. I have a great appreciation for farm life and photography.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Gabrielle Campbell (#7820) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I've been a professional photographer for over 10 years. I have photographed many families, weddings, high school seniors, newborns, maternity shoots.

I have also volunteered my time in clubs that I volunteer in such as 4H, Pony Club, Girl Scouts and Horse Shows. It's wonderful. People love photos and documenting!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I recently read the Sister Issue online and found I had only submitted one badge requirement in 2021! Then to my dismay, I had let my membership expire in October! Oh my! I have some catching up to do pronto! I paid for the membership renewal and have started on the badge requirements again. With this first merit badge requirement, you’ll understand why I am so behind on everything!

Preparing to leave my childhood home I inherited thirty-three years ago has been a daunting task! The exciting part has been clearing the clutter, tossing what could not be used, recycled, repurposed, or given away has been a cleansing experience. I found I had numerous identical kitchen utensils, more coffee cups than I would ever need, chipped dinnerware intermingled with the good pieces, too many plastic bowls with and without lids, stray lids, warped lids, split lids and more lids, gravy urns (?), pots & pans, and mismatched metal and glass lids. The microwave died just before the big move and went into the metal recycling bin. I went through the cupboards and threw away canned goods and old flour and grits. I boxed everything I wanted to move and nothing else.

I officially moved into my small double wide mobile home on the same property in November, just before Thanksgiving. The new kitchen is filled with natural light with white kitchen cabinets and faux white/gray marble countertops, new stainless appliances (yes, everything works) and plenty of cabinets to house those needed items. I've designated a small room off the kitchen as a working "Butler's Pantry". It is still a work in progress. This room houses my antique Hoosier, enameled top table with bottom storage, and an old white metal kitchen cabinet. The kitchen pantry closet has new shelving in place and canned goods organized. I now have a totally functioning kitchen where everything has its place. Hooray!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I looked through The Complete Book of Herbs for an overview of herbs and their uses.

I researched the uses of basil, chives, fennel, thyme, and spearmint in cooking and learned which foods they best enhance.

Used chives in my cottage cheese at lunch. It was just like my mom used to make it. I'm anxious to start on intermediate and expert tasks!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I bought an AeroGarden to grow our own herbs. They have done fairly well. We grew genovese basil, thyme, parsley, mint and oregano. These are all mostly used for cooking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“With our AeroGarden we grew more kinds of herbs to use in our cooking. We're growing different varieties of basil to go on homemade pizzas. We're growing Thai basil, purple basil, and lemon basil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I embroidered my Farmgirl Merit Badges onto a jean jacket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  11:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“For the Farmgirl Shutterbug badge, I choose a photographer named Graham Owen.
His pictures are typically close-ups of flowers and insects. I went to some of my favorite places to try and capture his technique. I probably took 100 pictures of flowers leaves and insects.
I read the book World Through My Lens by D Ramirez which gave some good pointers on lens focus and contrast to background light.

This was a fun badge. Getting out in nature to some of my favorite places was great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  1:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I read the introduction to zero-waste concept and the general overview of the path to zero waste. It turned out good and the reading was interesting and I was excited to start the next phase of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  1:50:59 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I performed a waste audit. This audit has shown me where our biggest amount of trash goes. It surprised me how fast the trash piles up.

I noticed that most of the waste was trash, the second amount of waste was compost and the third was recycling like bottles and lightweight cardboard packaging. In under a week we had zero bottles or cans to take to the recycling center.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I made my chandelier. I really had fun creating it. It turned out so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I learned to split wood using MaryJane's method. You'll need a good chopping block, gloves, safety glasses, splitting maul, and a sledgehammer. You can use an ax also. The way that she teaches is so much easier than I thought. When I was young and lived on my family ranch, we cut our own trees and split the wood to sell and to use for our own fireplace, but we had a wood splitter to do a lot of the work for us. I was 13 when I ran the wood splitter and could do 4 to 5 cords a day. I was so tired when I finished. I do know how to do it the hard way also. But when I read how MaryJane does it, I am liking it much better. It was so fun to learn a new way to chop wood.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I ordered MaryJane's Budget Mix in bulk. I committed to shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. I bought almost everything organic. I made a budget and stuck to it for a month. I used the Budget Mix as the basis for my meals. I made biscuits with gravy and eggs. I made pancakes, white bread, banana bread, carrot bread, pizza two different times, biscuits with ham and eggs, waffles, and sausage snacks. Everything was tasty.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I continued to perfect my eating plan. Again, I used MaryJane's Budget Mix as a basis for my meals. I bought all organic veggies and fruit. I have noticed that the food does taste better. I saved some more money but not too much, food is going up in prices now. But I know that I did save some money. I save all my receipts. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“We moved to Texas in December 2022, and this is the first time I have ever watched the weather. In California I did not need to keep an eye on it. Every day I get up I look at my guages outside of my window so I know what the day will be like. With that said here are the answers to the questions.

The boundary between two air masses is called a weather front. Here, wind, temperature, and humidity change abruptly, producing atmospheric instability. When things get “out of balance” in the atmosphere, storms develop, bringing rain or snow and sometimes thunder and lightning too.

Areas where the air is warmed often have lower pressure because the warm air rises. These areas are called low-pressure systems. Places where the air pressure is high, are called high-pressure systems. A low-pressure system has lower pressure at its center than the areas around it.

The barometer is an instrument measuring atmospheric pressure, used especially in forecasting the weather and determining altitude. During the day, the air above the land heats up faster than air over water. Warm air over the land expands and rises, and heavier, cooler air rushes in to take its place, creating wind. Air temperatures ahead of the front are warmer than temperatures in the cold air mass behind the front. A cold front forms when a cold air mass pushes into a warmer air mass.

Cold fronts can produce dramatic changes in the weather. They move fast—up to twice as fast as a warm front. Air masses create weather as they are moved by winds around the globe. Fronts develop at the boundary where two air masses with different temperatures—and, usually, different humidities—come into contact with each other.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Clouds form when the invisible water vapor in the air condenses into visible water droplets or ice crystals. For this to happen, the parcel of air must be saturated, i.e. unable to hold all the water it contains in vapor form, so it starts to condense into a liquid or solid form.

Names for clouds are Stratus/Strato: flat/layered and smooth. Cumulus/Cumulo: heaped up/puffy, like cauliflower. Cirrus/Cirro: high up/wispy. Alto: medium level. Nimbus/Nimbo: rain-bearing cloud. I have been looking at the clouds here in Texas, I can classify them pretty well. I have been able to predict the weather pretty good also, but I am no expert at it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I have seeds for more than five root veggies, but was surprised to find only five in Costco. Interesting bit: I found sweet potatoes marked in large letters Product of USA. In small print, I also found producto de EU.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I studied the Ball Book of Canning and learned about ph and heat, and how they relate, and why some things can be canned with boiling water, and some must be pressurized.

At the grocery store, three-bean salad appeared to have been pressure canned, while chili peppers and apple sauce could have been done with the boiling water method.

Looking forward to the intermediate level and canning, which I will begin soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  2:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I started a food/exercise journal to track my daily consumption and activity. To lower my A1C, I needed better control of total daily carbohydrates and how my activity level affected my glucose readings. Due to wearing a Dexcom 6, a continuous glucose monitoring device, I was able to instantly see the results and record those results in the journal. I'm thankful I worked on this merit badge upon receiving the Dexcom 6. After 6 months, my insurance refused continued usage so I am back to pricking my fingertips. I often refer back to my journal when in doubt about how certain foods affected my glucose.

Do I know where my food is grown? Yes, I do. After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle twice, I'm more conscious of where my food is grown and purchase produce in season. I could probably live like Barbara Kingsolver and her family with just a few changes. I'm lucky to live in lower South Carolina where the growing season is long. I do read labels. I don’t like that avocados, bananas, and pineapple are shipped in from other countries; I still eat them. I can or freeze a lot of my garden produce, including peaches, blueberries, and blackberries for winter use. My Meyer Lemons are frozen whole or juiced and frozen. During the growing season, I pick strawberries from a local farmer, buy collard greens and sweet potatoes from another local farmer, and frequent the farmers market in my hometown for produce I don’t grow on my little farm. “SC GROWN” signs show shoppers what is available in our grocery stores. I buy fish and shrimp fresh off the boat. Venison is given to me during hunting season. I also occasionally buy free-range chicken and turkey, pork, lamb chops, and grass-fed beef from nearby farms. I also purchase angus grass-fed beef from a local meat processor at least twice a year. I fish the black waters of the Edisto River during the summer months. My son delivers fresh eggs to me and a friend delivers raw milk occasionally.

Here are ways I’ve incorporated more fruits and vegetables into my diet: I don’t drink my calories; cut up fruit and raw vegetables are always in my refrigerator as is a jar of marinated artichoke hearts; I add berries to oatmeal, yogurt, or cottage cheese; I eat an apple a day—keeps the doctor away; I replace pasta with spaghetti squash; I make ice cream using frozen fruit and buttermilk; I pureé vegetables and fruit to use in homemade muffins; I make sure my plate is colorful, and prepare my lunch for work every day!

I grew organic Alfalfa sprouts for several months, just like I use to do many years ago. I enjoyed the sprouts in eggs and in salads. Sadly, my sprouts died while I was on vacation, and I did not start the jar over. I make desserts periodically from scratch, eliminating hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners. Vegetables, fruits, and lean protein are the main staples of my daily diet because of Type II Diabetes.

The book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an eye opener to how much food is shipped in from far away destinations. There are alternatives available now more than ever. I continue to keep a food journal for a healthier lifestyle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I read Nature’s Little Wonders by Candace Savage twice during the summer of 2021 and read it again a third time this past weekend. Each time I have garnered new information. My book is filled with yellow highlights and underlined with blue ink. I'm enthralled with the honey bee! The facts: The honey bee, the Apis Mellifera, journeyed to Virginia with the English Colonists in 1622. They were prized for their honey and wax. I'd never thought of the origin of the honey bee in America. Learning about the life stages will forever change my view of the honey bee, from the mated queen who survives the winter hibernation to build her honey pot, lay her eggs, cover them with wax and keep them at a constant 85 degrees by shivering her large flight muscles until they emerge. Her offspring, all adult females, emerge and begin foraging and helping around the nest. A Queen may have one or more sexual excursions that supplies her with a lifetime supply of sperm, and lays up to half a million eggs in her two-year life span. A few of the eggs are housed in special chambers and fed royal jelly which enables them to become egg-laying queens. Worker bees perform different tasks during different life stages and only live about 60 days. Male drones are produced in late summer. A drone’s sole purpose is to mate with a young queen, then he dies after mating. And did you know bees are bilingual? I recommend reading this book to find out everything you always wanted to know about bees or never even imagined.

Bee City is approximately 10 miles down the same highway from my house. I've visited many times over the years to watch the bees make honey. I also buy raw honey from there. Raw honey is so much better tasting and healthier than the processed, pasteurized stuff. Raw honey contains the natural ingredients, including pollen and bee propolis which acts as an anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal. The heat of pasteurization destroys the bee propolis. I also buy local raw honey when I travel. My favorite remains a quart given to me by a bee keeper friend in Virginia at least fifteen years ago. Still thick and rich and darker in color than any honey I’ve seen, it has to be stirred with a wooden spoon and still is simply delicious! Raw honey tends to crystalize but can be remedied by placing the jar in a pot of hot water. Just a side note here, I thought the grocery store honey in the little honey bear container was a health benefit for my growing children. It was the Virginia friend who taught me otherwise. Now I read that raw honey is once again used to dress wounds. Amazing how the old ways are becoming new again.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page