Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2022 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I learned how to fold three different types of animals, three different types of shapes, and three different types of flowers.

I had fun working on several small origami projects as I learned how to fold nine different things. I folded a cat, a crab, and a rabbit for the three animals. My three shapes were a heart, a star, and a water bomb. So much fun! My three flowers were a tulip, cherry blossom, and azalea.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2022 :  11:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I started to organize my food drive on December 10, 2021. I advertised on our Brentwood Farmgirl Facebook page.

I refreshed my advertisement for the food drive on February 2nd 2022. Generous donations were made by Amy, Sean, and Amanda. All the items were donated to the Oakley Senior Center Food Pantry on 2/10/2022.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“1. The Constitution
2. The Constitution has three main functions. It creates a national government consisting of a legislative, an executive, and a judicial branch, with a system of checks and balances among the three branches Second it also divides power between the federal government and the states.
3. "We the People"
4. The Bill of Rights
5. Freedom concerning Religion. The right to petition the government.
6. United the colonies and declared independence from Great Britain.
7. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
8. The right to practice whatever religion one chooses.
9. Capitalism, government ownership and government regulation of the economy.
10. Rule of law is the principle under which all persons, institutions and entitles are accountable to laws that are equally enforced.

This was like taking a trip down memory lane of high school civics class.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“1. Legislative, executive and judicial.
2. The checks and balances system
3. The President
4. Congress
5. The Senate and the House of Representatives.
6. 100 Senators
7. Diane Feinstein and Jim Gomez
8. 6 years Senator
9 2 years Representative
10. 4 years President.
11. The President Chief of the military
12. The President signs the bills

It's always good to review your governmental representatives.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“1. The President veto's bills.
2. The judicial branch is the court
system.
3. The Supreme Court.
4. There are nine Justices.
5. John Roberts is the Chief Justice.
6. To print money and to create an army.
7 School- education and land use.
8. Gavin Newsom
9. Democratic and Republican
10. Nancy Pelosi

Another review of high school civics class, but always good to revisit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“For languages and cultures I researched Dr. Shinichi Suzuki. Shinichi was a Japanese musician, philosophy, educator, and the founder of the Suzuki method of music. Although Shinici's father had the first violin manufacturing company in Japan, Shinichi didn't learn to play the violin until he heard an aria of Ave Maria and taught himself how to play.

The Suzuki method of teaching was his belief that all children had the talent to learn if they were taught by loving music. His belief was music should start at birth and formal training at 3 to 4 years of age. By learning through listening to music, the children would eventually learn to play the notes correctly on the violin. After learning the sound of the music, children eventually learn to read music and then can play more advanced pieces but always by listening first to many repetitions of the song. Through his program and teachings there are many children that have learned to play the violin and the love of music.

I enjoyed doing the research on Suzuki method of teaching.

My children learned the love of music and how to play violin through this method my oldest daughter played from the age of four through college and majored in music. I will be sharing this information at our monthly meeting in 3 weeks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“The country I choose to learn about thier goverment is Japan.

1. The Government of Japan consists of legislative, executive, and judiciary branches and is based on popular sovereignty.

2. It is a unitary state, containing forty-seven administrative divisions, with the Emperor as its Head of State.

3. In two fundamental ways: the principle of sovereignty and the stated aim of maintaining Japan as a peaceful and democratic society

4. The economy of Japan is a highly developed free-market economy. It's the third-largest in the world. It's the world's second-largest developed economy. International trade partners are-Singapore, Mexico, Malaysia, Chile, Thailand, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines, Switzerland and USA.

This was interesting to learn new facts about a county I hope to visit one day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  6:41:45 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I contacted the local extension office in my area.

The peak season to forage around here is spring, fall and summer.
Here is a list of edibile plants the you can forage in the area:
Miner's lettuce - Spring
Wild Sierra Onions - Summer
Wild Blackberries - Summer
White porcine mushrooms - Fall
Pine Nuts - Fall”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose the Hungarian culture and language to study. I researched the language. I learned to count to ten in Hungarian. I also learned to say a traditional greeting.

Although my Father was Hungarian and actually went to Kindergarten only speaking Hungarian, we were never taught Hungarian, nor were we taught any of the cultural aspects of being Hungarian. We moved from New York to California when my sister and I were babies. We did not grow up living around our Hungarian family members. We ate some traditional Hungarian dishes, but we were basically raised without any Hungarian cultural identity. I greet my family and friends with "Jo reggelt kivanok" which means "Good morning". My grandson is my "kedvenc kapus" (favorite goalie). His sisters are my "kedvenc tancosai" (favorite dancers).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I completed a waste audit, however I did it for five days instead of just for one day. Three things that I learned about my habits are that we don't throw out much of anything, we recycle a great deal of our waste, and we need to reduce our footprint even more by adjusting our e-waste. I was surprised at how much e-waste we have produced over the years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I came up with some ways that I could reduce our waste and have implemented them into our home life. I researched composting, how to use it, and how to keep it from smelling.

When we cook, we add any uneaten portions to the refrigerator for leftovers or add them to the soup bucket in the freezer. When we have a full bucket of leftover veggies, meat, and juices we cook up a wonderful meal that my kids called "Trash Soup". We eat it with hot rolls. All of our meat bones are boiled for broth.

I'm working on a compost pile. I will use it for the things that do not go into my soup like onion peels, or garlic skins. To keep my pile from smelling, I plan to keep it aerated, keep the pieces small, and add leaves, paper, sawdust from my husband's woodworking, and wood ash to the pile.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I signed up for a library card and found out about the programs and activities offered at our city library. I started a TBR pile and posted a photo of it on my Facebook page.

We have a very active and supportive library in our town. Great stuff is offered for all ages. I have a large "to be read" pile. I love to read! Also glad to be able to use and contribute to MaryJane's lending library!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“This level required me to learn to sew straight seams by hand and machine. I was also to learn different types of seams, including French seams and flat-felled seams.

I have been sewing since I was little, so I taught my Granddaughters to sew. They love it! I also learned how to sew different types of seams. My favorite is the flat-felled seam for its looks and strength. I love to sew—it's so relaxing and rewarding!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Last year I researched and built my compost bin in my garden area. I have three compost areas on the ranch. I kept track of how many gallons of compost I'm getting off my animal manure pile for the year. I easily get 25 of the 5 gallon buckets from my animal pile yearly which is 125 gallons.

I have a second compost pile on my property that is for wood tree debris and then my third area is my gardening compost.

In Oakley, where I live, we do not have a composting program. You need to go to Pittsburgh to our local dump where they recycle for E-waste, regular garbage, and have a compost area. You can pick up two bags of free compost but you have to drive there to get it.

My sister likes to garden so I have been following up with her for the past year. She does not normally compost. She just puts her green waste in the bin, so I got her to start a corner of her yard for her gardening debris. She got her first bucket of compost last fall.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2022 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“In my area, the local extension office is the University of California cooperative extension and they offer a master gardener program. I went to their website and due to covid they are only working remotely, so I checked their site for compost resources and they have files available to read. I also looked on YouTube to watch videos. Because I've worked on this badge for over a year, I already had the book Secrets to Great Soil: A Grower's Guide to Composting, Mulching, and Creating Healthy, Fertile Soil for your Lawn and Garden. I read the book last spring. I liked the section on different types of compost bins, different amenities for the soil, and the the fertilizer section.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2022 :  11:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Pung (Crystal P, #8322) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I thought I was doing a good job choosing cleaners that were green. After a bit of research I found I was sadly mistaken. From there, I found a new company with clean, sustainable products. We switched nearly a year ago now and absolutely love it. In this switch I also found a new skin care line that has been amazing. Along the way I've shared samples of products with friends who are looking for better cleaners for their homes.

Not only have I reduced the chemicals in our house, I've also reduced the amount of plastic going to the recycling center. I've also been able to teach friends about why I have chose the cleaners that I have. It’s been a great experience.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2022 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“Some of the ways you can use the leftover liquid from making butter are to use it in any baking recipe that calls for water (or even milk) for a sour tang. Add to fruit smoothies or milkshakes for a boost of probiotics and protein. Use whey to cook pasta, potatoes, oatmeal, or rice.

Washing butter preserves the flavor and keeps it from going bad quickly.

Cultured butter is made from cultured cream. In other words, the cream contains live bacterial cultures and has been fermented for a period of time. Similar to yogurt, cultured butter has a slightly tangy flavor that sets it apart from regular butter. It has a unique flavor that enhances just about everything.

Sweet cream butter simply refers to the butter’s main ingredient. It’s made from pasteurized fresh cream, as opposed to cultured or soured cream. And the word “sweet” is used mostly to distinguish it from those cultured or soured cream alternatives. I made some butter it was fun and easy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2022 :  11:17:55 AM  Show Profile

Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“The butter that I made, I put to use. I made carrot and raisin muffins, banana nut bread, oatmeal and raisin cookies, and zucchini bread. I then shared with Farmgirl connection what I learned. It all turned out good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2022 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Orienteering Merit Badge!

“I looked for some orienteering clubs in my area, they are over 2 hours away. So I could not join one. I planned out an orienteering event for myself and 2 others. We're going to do it at my house. I have an acre of land, and I've developed a fun course for us to do. I have compasses for everyone. We'll be looking for some fun gifts to find.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2022 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Permaculture Merit Badge!

“Permaculture can be understood as the growth of agricultural ecosystems in a self-sufficient and sustainable way. The other fundamental aspect of Permaculture is the notion of an optimized closed-loop system. Everything is recycled, waste is eliminated by design and transformed into resources, processes are clear and energy-saving, defined for little maintenance.

By instituting permaculture practices in my home garden I'll be really designing my garden the way it is meant to be. You'll be learning how plants relate to each other and really building up the quality of the soil. I'll get much better crops each year.

Sheet composting, also referred to as lasagna gardening is an age-old technique often used to enlarge a perennial border or convert part of a lawn into a vegetable patch. In urban gardens faced with poor or contaminated soil, it's also a great way to fill a raised bed with a healthy growing medium for edibles.

Rotational grazing is a system where a large pasture is divided into smaller paddocks, allowing livestock to be moved from one paddock to the other easily. Using this method, cattle are concentrated on a smaller area of the pasture for a few days then moved to another section of pasture.

Put simply, hügelkultur is a centuries-old traditional way of building a garden bed from rotten logs and plant debris. These mound shapes are created by marking out an area for a raised bed, clearing the land, and then heaping up woody material (that's ideally already partially rotted) topped with compost and soil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  1:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a dishcloth using various stitches and framed it with a double crocheted border. It turned out good, but I may have decreased a couple of stitches in the middle of the finished cloth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I made a cross-stitch project from a kit and used multiple colors to stitch out words and a picture.

My project turned out pretty good, and once I got into a rhythm, the project went really fast. I also taught my son how to cross-stitch and he did a pretty good job.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've collected over six reusable bags and I have been committed to using them when I shop for years. Using reusable bags is very easy as they stay in my car and is very handy for grocery shopping as well bringing things to work and other places.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“I took all my beads and organized them in boxes, along with collecting supplies for jewelry making. The boxes make it easier to find the kinds of beads that I will need to start making jewelry.

I also went through my jewelry box and looked at the bracelets that I have. I'm now ready to start making bracelets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Nicholson (Elizabeth N, #8416) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Garden Gate Merit Badge!

“I've been keeping lists of the birds I see for years; some are from when I was 10 years old. I enjoy watching the different species come and go as the seasons change. Right now, my wish list includes a Barn Owl, Pine Grosbeak, and a Connecticut Warbler.

I've seen a total of 134 species on our "farm" and am looking forward to the spring migration that's right around the corner!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page