Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  2:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Kibler (#8421) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I researched different ways to make candles. I decided I want to try to make some with beeswax and coconut oil. I'm going to choose not to dye mine, but if I did I would use turmeric to keep it a natural color and a natural ingredient. I’m also going to try some without any essential oils and some with. From what I read, the beeswax in coconut oil will have a natural fragrance but I’m curious how much more fragrance I can get an a candle with essential oils.

I already have beeswax from our hive and coconut oil in the pantry so I’m excited to get started with ease. I just have to get some cotton to make wicks and I am going to collect some cans in the same mason jars as my vessel for my candles.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Kibler (#8421) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made my own laundry detergent, soap, and cleaners! It turned out good! I can’t wait for my soap to cure so I can use it! I made a mulled orange cleaner with vodka, orange peels, and mulling spices on January 2nd and finally bottled it today and used it, it smells so good!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  2:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Kibler (#8421) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked all faucets and underneath cabinets to make sure I had no leaks. I also installed a water saver shower head! We're trying to shorten showers by one minute. My one son isn’t enjoying the shorter shower concept, but it’s going ok, lol!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  2:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Kibler (#8421) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I found out we do not have any insulation in half of our house. I talked with a company who was referred by a friend about coming out to insulate. They can’t insulate until we get our siding redone because we have aluminum siding and it could break. So we have that on our 2024 project list!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I cross-stitched a simple project and I taught my granddaughter, Madison, to cross-stitch. I know how to cross-stitch and made a small wall project to frame for my house. I taught my Granddaughter to cross-stitch by letting her practice with the needle, floss, and fabric. She's excited to get to make her first project!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I grew a vegetable garden. I didn't use any pesticides or synthetic fertilizer. I researched organic pest control. I read Montrose: Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin.

I grew tomatoes and zucchini! I didn't use and pesticides or synthetic fertilizer. I found out about organic pesticides, but I did not need to use any of them this time. The book was interesting to me, but I found that I had to look up so many plant names that I found it difficult to read and enjoy it at the same time. I wanted to know what plants she was talking about ... there were only drawings of a few of them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I learned some new techniques and knitted some sweaters and caps for my granddaughter's American Girl dolls. I also knitted in the company of a friend for a total of 5 hours.

Madison loves the sweaters that I made for her dolls. Each doll got two sweaters and a cap. The girls' caps have holes in the top for their ponytails. The boy's cap is beanie style. I worked on the doll clothes during visits with my friend.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I started and finished a project of expert level. I made socks for myself! I taught at least 5 people to knit.

I love making and wearing my own socks! When I was a teacher, I taught a whole after-school class of 15 students to knit. The boys were more excited with their finished scarves than the girls were. They all enjoyed practicing their new-found skill.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I learned how to freeze three different types of produce. I put away three different types of produce for later on, and I shared the new knowledge on the chatroom.

I researched how to freeze different types of produce, strawberries, corn-on-the-cob, and zucchini. I grew the zucchini in my garden, bought the berries from a local farmstand, and got the corn from my grocery store. The corn was locally grown as well. I froze them. I also made tomato sauce and froze it. My husband and I have used all of it in cooking meals, and they taste great! I shared my new found knowledge with my Farmgirl Sisters on the chatroom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I organized my kitchen cabinets. I worked through all of my storage containers. I recycled all of the ones that were broken, lidless, or bottomless. I weeded out all of the things that were doubles or that had not been used in a long time. I offered them to my family. My Daughter-in-law took my extra measuring cups, and the rest went into the yard sale pile.

My kitchen cabinets are clean and organized! I can find my things now! I also made room for the things that I need to get to complete my kitchen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I made a kitchen needs list and have been adding to it. I've given extra and unneeded items to family and friends. I gave an extra crockpot to my neighbor, and I've added some of my unneeded items to the yard sale pile.

I was glad to see that I do not need too many items. I'll continue to add to the list as I need to do so and will be happy to get the things that I really need. Soon, I'll have a great kitchen to work in!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I learned how to sharpen my knives. I keep them sharp!

I've been keeping my knives sharp for a few months now—they're so much nicer to use! I plan to keep them sharp from now on!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  09:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched "gray water" and some of the uses for it. I also found simple ways to reuse water in the article from the "Attitude of Gratitude" Oct/Nov 2010 issue of MaryJane's Farm Magazine. I also devised a rain barrel system to catch water that we can use around our house.

I was surprised at the uses for gray water. I was also excited to discover and be able to use several of the ideas from the article. We rinse our food and use the water for plants. We use a bucket in the shower to catch the cold water as it warms. It's used to water outside plants. We have set up a water catchment system by our woodshed and use the water for the garden. We are also working on a system to collect even more water from our house roof. It is a bit of an undertaking, but we plan to implement it in sections as we are able to collect materials.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched answers to four different questions about the government of my chosen country, Hungary.

I was not surprised to find out that Hungary had been a Communist country before the current government took over. I was pleased to see that great strides are being made to afford the citizens of the country with many of the rights that we have in America, although they do not have rights to the extent that we have them. The Hungarian Republic was proclaimed following a revolution in 1918. Prior to that time, Hungary had been an equal partner in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. My ancestors were Hungarian. My Grandfather and Grandmother both immigrated to America from different regions in Hungary.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Conrad (DawnC, #7297) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I've replaced all hoses over the past year to be environmentally safe and lead free. All of my fences are ‘au naturale’ they have never been painted or treated.

I installed a family cemetery on my property and surrounded it with a ‘living fence’ of Thuja Green Giant & Green Giant Arborvitae, Nellie Stevens Holly and Euonymus alatus (burning bush) to create a beautiful and serene resting place.

All have worked out well. The project I'm most pleased with is the cemetery surround. It's almost maintenance free and is beautiful twelve months out of the year.

I've always composted and the last three years Mother Nature has rewarded my efforts with opportunistic Butternut Squash plants growing out of the newest piles and into the field! FREE squash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Conrad (DawnC, #7297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I pull out all my storage containers and lids at the beginning of each new year. It just makes life SO much easier when everything is organized an easy to access. Turns out GREAT every new year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Conrad (DawnC, #7297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I have all I need in the kitchen. Every year I give duplicate or unused items to the local second hand store. My yearly sort and donate activity keeps my kitchen cabinets from becoming cluttered. I always know what I have to work with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Conrad (DawnC, #7297) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I learned how to sharpen my own knives. I was amazed at how much easier working in the kitchen was when your knives are sharp. I always keep my knives sharpened now. It just makes such an enormous difference when working with a sharp knife.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“Firing converts ceramic work from weak clay into a strong, durable, crystalline glasslike form. Ceramic work is typically fired twice: it's bisque fired and then glaze fired. The goal of bisque firing is to convert greenware to a durable, semi-vitrified porous stage where it can be safely handled during the glazing and decorating process. It also burns out carbonaceous materials (organic materials in the clay, paper, etc.). As the temperature in a kiln rises, many changes take place in the clay.

Heat in an electric kiln is transferred in three ways: 1.) conduction heat transferred through physical contact 2.) convection heat rising through the air 3.) radiation heat emanating from all the kiln elements. Electricity passing through coiled heating elements (made specially for high temperatures) generates radiant heat, which rises and is absorbed by everything in the kiln.

All clays and glazes are formulated to mature at certain temperatures. Firing clay too high can cause it to deform or even melt, too low and it will not be durable. Firing glazes too high can cause run-off on the pot, too low and they will be dry and rough. To fire to the right temperature, pyrometric cones are used. Cones are made from various oxide mixtures and bend at known temperatures. In general, the following cones are used in the pottery studio: bisque fire (cone 08-05), low fire (cone 06-04), mid-range (cone 4-7) and high fire (cone 8-10).

The first firing, or bisque fire, takes around 8-10 hours. Glaze firing takes around 12 hours. So, in total, it takes about 22 hours to fire clay in a kiln. Time for the kiln to cool adds to this total too.

I attended a pottery class with my sister and my niece. The instructor provided the clay for us to work with and showed us how to shape coffee mugs. She showed us the techniques for adding a handle and various ways that we could add clay to strengthen the joins in the handle. We then made 2 spoons to go with our mugs. We were able to choose a colour for our glaze at the end of the class and the instructor fired them in her kiln. Due to the lengthy firing process, she did the firing and glaze for us and we picked up our finished product several weeks later. I was really happy with the end result and the color that I chose.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Gray water refers to wastewater generated in households and buildings except for sewage. There are many ways to collect gray water. You can put a bucket in your shower and collect excess clean water; you can wash your hands over a bowl and your sink to collect the water; and you also can use the water from the exit spout from your washing machine through the rinse cycle.

There are many uses for gray water. Perhaps the easiest use is for irrigating your trees and bushes.

For my rain barrel system to collect the water, I used a 75 gallon stock tank and placed it under the downspout to collect the rainwater and I use that to irrigate my plants as well.

This turned out well surprisingly. I collect a lot of water just from the rain. It's also amazing how much water we use everyday just to rinse vegetables, wash hands, and shower. I'm much more conservative now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled for the entire month of December. It's amazing how much you collect over the holidays. While I was visiting relatives, I put a can under the sink to collect all the recyclables. My relatives have continued to recycle.

December was a great month because of the holidays and all the wrappings from Christmas time. There's so much cardboard and plastic used—especially for toys. I'm glad the city in which I live has a very good recycling program.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Making shampoo and body lotions is rather a good idea. I have some members of my family who are very sensitive to products. Over the holidays was a good time to make lotions and bath products for gifts. My grandsons and I made bath bombs, lotion, and bubble bath
for gifts for family and friends.

The holiday was a good time for this project. This was a project I could do with my grandchildren, and an opportunity to make products that they could use because they all have very sensitive skin issues.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“When I take my grandsons to the park I always have them throw their own garbage away. As we take our walks around the park, we've picked up plastic bottles, paper bags an old shoe and many candy wrappers. The park we usually go to is next to a school, so there is always something left behind from the school kids. This was a good introduction to Trash Talk in the Young Cultivators Badge that they will be writing up! It's good to show them how to take care of Mother Nature!

This turned out to be more fun than I thought. We made a game of how many pieces of garbage we could find.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (#8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“At this point in my recycling journey, I have very little to recycle. An occasional box or an empty can is reused and turned into a valuable space-saving do-hickey. EVERYTHING I purchase and bring into my world goes through a rigorous questioning: What is the second life to this item? How can I reuse the packaging? Once I'm finished with this product/packaging, can it be recycled?

When I receive boxes in the mail, I very carefully cut the end of the box off, empty it and use it on a shelf as a magazine file. I use some pretty paper to decorate the box and then fill with office items. My electric stapler, staples, & cord stay in one box while my laminator, cord, & laminating sheets stay in another box. By choosing boxes about the same size, decorating with pretty paper, and hanging a sweet label on it, makes all that office clutter a little easier to wrangle. As for the sweet little label, I use tin can lids. Spray paint with chalkboard paint, drill a couple holes in it, tie onto the box with some jute or scrap fabric and my office closet is immediately transformed into beautiful organized chaos.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (#8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“Covid has changed the texture of EVERYTHING so this merit badge took extra effort. But that's ok because I really needed to learn canning and preparing for emergencies.

With grocery store shelves thinning out, I have self-taught myself how to can, dehydrate and powder a lot of my foods. I'm still sucking at gardening but everyday I get a little better.

Canning has been a BLAST! I've wondered why I haven't learned canning sooner. I have so many shelf-stable dinners made now, I'm bagging up a bunch to give to elderly neighbors. They love the quick nutritious meals and I make room for more canning.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page