Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I started a journal on how much TV is watched in my house. I spent a week tracking it. At the end of the week, I came up with a total of how much time we were in front of the TV. It came to 21 hours. We as a family made a pact to reduce TV by 20%. The TV shows that we watched are shows that we enjoy. We watch how-to do shows on YouTube. In my family, we are all very crafty, so we make a lot of different things, which is the reason we watched so much TV.

My husband likes documentaries so he watches quite a few documentaries. I tend to go on YouTube and watch videos on how to make different crafts such as cards or wreaths or handmade books from scratch. I love designing my own scrapbooks so I go on YouTube to learn different techniques to make flips and flops and different kinds of pockets in it. We managed to cut out a few hours out of our TV and my husband and I went out and had dinner. My husband also likes who dun it shows so a lot of times he will stay up late at night and watch those. While he's watching his shows, I usually will get out the switch and play Animal Crossing or Zelda. that's my silly activity that I like. This was fun to do.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I lent a hand to a friend who was recently moved to another state. I helped her pack for her trip purchased the items that she needed for her trip. Also organized her bag for the airplane so she had her record for her COVID shot, her identification, and her medicines that she would need in case the suitcase gets lost. I then prepared her for the trip. She has dementia so I had to sit with her and explain to her several times over a period of two weeks what was going on. I spent a total of about 10 hours helping her get prepared and organized for this trip. When her son came to get her, she was very excited about going. I kept a record of all the things that I did do for her. This went well.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I went back and did step one of the beginner level for five months. I tried several new things that were organic. I love salads and fruits and vegetables so I decided to hit the produce aisle. I tried lettuce, bananas, oranges, cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, potatoes, watermelon, and onions. I then decided to go down some of the middle aisles and check out some of the things that could be organic. I bought some pasta and sauce so I could make spaghetti. I found hot dogs and buns to go with that in the organic section at Sprouts. I mainly have been shopping Sprouts to get my organic things. It seems that they have better variety and choices. I shopped at Trader Joe's also and they have a lot of organic things such as cereal. However, the cereal is not that tasty. Oh well. Macaroni and cheese was pretty good—all I had to do was add my own cheese to it which was organic also.

I found out the more organic I ate the better things tasted and I felt better too. I spent some time talking to five different families trying to convert them to buy organic. I took each family a little basket of different things that they could try that were organic. I mainly took them fruits and vegetables because I figured that's one of the easiest things to do. I took them some organic crackers and cheese as well. They seem to have liked it quite a bit and hopefully, I may have converted them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I gathered all my supplies for water-bath canning and made two different jellies—mixed berry jam and blackberry jam. I shared my recipe with a few of my friends and gave them some. It turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I caned two different low-acid foods using a tested recipe in my pressure cooker. I made pickled celery and pickled eggs. I shared some of my preserves with a friend. We both love the eggs. The celery was not bad at all.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I familiarized myself with ways to decorate my home that are green. I came up with ways to make subtle changes. I have low energy light bulbs in every room in the house now. I have a smart meter in my home to help save energy. I make my own cleaners and use those, so no chemicals go back into the environment. I buy recycled products like toilet paper, boxes paper, cups, and containers. I will also be purchasing some plants for my home which is a wonderful, green way to decorate your home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I shared what I discovered about decorating your home green under Merit Badge Chit Chat. In the beginner part of the merit badge, I shared ways to decorate my home. One of the ways was to recycle things such as your table. If you don't want your table anymore as opposed to chopping it up and throwing it in the trash, you can put it on a freecycle website and someone will come pick it up. Or you could sand it down and refinish it and make it a new product for your own home. Also, if you get a smart meter, you could save energy on your home, which I did. You can make your own cleaners so that you don't put bad things back into our environment. I buy recycled toilet paper, recycled paper plates, recycled paper for my crafts, and recycled cups. There are even recycled paper eating utensils. If you buy plants for your home it's a green way to decorate your home and make it look beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  2:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I researched different horse rescues in my area. I found 5 rescue groups.

1. Rescue Me in Clayton
2. Horses Healing Hearts in Danville.
3. Contra Costa Animal Services in Martinez.
4. Angel's Mini's in Walnut Creek and
5. Hold Your Horses in Brentwood.

I spent 2 days at wild horse equestrian grooming a mini horse named Diamond. He had a lots of mats and knots in his mane and tail. I also helped at their CHSS barrel racing practice day.
The horse rescue I decided to get involved in is called Hold Your Horses in Brentwood.
They are an emergency evacuation rescue team for horses and livestock.

We did a training and mock practice evacuation drill at my property and I taught them how to catch, halter, lead, and load llamas and alpacas in case of emergencies such as a fire. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“For my beginner project, I chose to do a doll quilt. I bought my fabric on sale and purchased the batting and binding. I went down to the senior center for 3 weeks to work on my project and then I tied it with yarn to secure the top through the batting onto the backing. It turned out nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2021 :  11:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“My husband and I decided that we wanted to install a shower in our downstairs bathroom. When we purchased our house, we had a half bathroom but all the pipes and drains were pre-done for us. At the time we couldn't afford to pay to have the shower fully installed. So, we decided just to use it as a closet. So, for 19 years that closet was there and it held all my crafts. We are getting ready to sell our home to move from California to Texas so we can afford to retire. At that point, we discussed converting that closet into a shower. So, we started ripping out the shelves and sheetrock and removing all the insulation. We revealed the pipes and the drain needed to put in a shower. We realized after we pulled everything out that we needed more insulation so we headed to Home Depot and purchased some to put back in between the walls so we can put the shower insert in there. My husband and I purchased a higher R-value insulation for the shower. I installed it into the walls. This was hard work but it's going to look so good when we are done.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  09:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I continued to try and eat organic foods for 5 months from 5 months from April 25th through September 25, 2021. Eating organic food was new for me this year. I shared organic foods a few times with my friend when I would visit her. I brought her corn, blackberries, avocados, nectarines, and peaches. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  09:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“I researched the native plants in my area and I wanted to plant fescue, ryegrass, and sedges. My local nurseries did not carry what I wanted so I ended up planting purple fountain grass, fescue bluegrass, Monrovia, golden variegated sweet flag grass, Lilytuft super blue, and mondo grass. I had an area near my front door that needed plants so it was a perfect spot to plant my grasses. Native grasses are important for soil stabilization and erosion control. Native grasses are vital to preserving biodiversity. They also helps sustain living landscapes for birds and other animals. I posted about this badge on the Farmgirl Connection under Merit Badge Chit Chat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Weather on Earth is caused by heat from the sun and movement of the air. All weather happens in the lower layer of Earth's atmosphere, which is a layer of gases surrounding Earth. The sun's heat warms the air in this layer to different temperature levels in different places. Warm air rises, and cold air then rushes in underneath to replace it.

A high-pressure system works downward and brings with it good weather, while a low-pressure system works upwards and brings bad weather.

A barometer is a scientific instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure, also called barometric pressure. The atmosphere is the layers of air wrapped around the Earth. That air has a weight and presses against everything it touches as gravity pulls it to Earth. Barometers measure this pressure.

Wind forms when the sun heats one part of the atmosphere differently than another part. This causes expansion of warmer air, making less pressure where it is warm than where it is cooler. Air always moves from high pressure to lower pressure, and this movement of air is wind.

An air mass is a large volume of air in the atmosphere that is mostly uniform in temperature and moisture. Air masses can extend thousands of kilometers across the surface of the Earth and can reach from ground level to the stratosphere —16 kilometers (10 miles) into the atmosphere.

Weather fronts are the primary cause of meteorological activity because they are transition zones. These boundaries separate two masses of air with different temperatures, humidities and densities. There are several types of weather fronts. The type of front that forms depends on the direction of flow of the air mass and its characteristics. A frontal zone may be 20 to 100 miles in width, and there is a marked contrast between conditions on the leading side and the rear side; this includes temperature differentials, dew point, wind direction, weather conditions and cloud cover.

I researched all these terms and started a weather log for the month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  10:16:03 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“In honour of MaryJane's father, I got my oil can out and walked around the house, oiling up our door and window hinges. While oiling the doors, I also took the time to clean the tracks for our glass sliding door at the front of the house. Both my husband and I have bikes, so it is important to give the chains a regular oiling too.

I took the time to clean any excess soil from my garden implements before oiling the metal ones. We keep them in one corner of the garage out of the weather. My husband helped me to replace a wooden handle on the rake.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  10:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“After oiling our door and window hinges, I went one step further, checking all the locks in our house. Most of them are relatively new since we have extensively renovated our house over the past few years. We have antique brass spur latches for our casement windows, Square casement fasteners for our French Doors onto the sleep out, and antique brass door knobs for the interior doors of the bedrooms and bathroom.

Our back door gets stuck at various times of year, depending on the weather. The house is on stumps, so will move in wet weather. This means the back door can become tight to close. My husband helped me sand the timber on the top of the timber door so that it would open and close more smoothly. The lock still works fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  10:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“We are so fortunate to live in a rural area with very little light pollution. Our night skies are smothered with stars and it makes for incredible stargazing. I referred to my husband's book "Skywatching" by David H. Levy when working on this merit badge.

The 5 brightest objects that I noticed in the night sky were Venus, Saturn, Vega (star of Lyra), Rigil Kentaurus and Hadar (Beta Centauri).

By definition, a star is a celestial object that emits its own light due to a chemical reaction at its core. A planet is a celestial body that orbits around the star in its solar system and gets its glow from the suns light reflecting from the planets face. Stars are constantly twinkling and shimmering while planets do not.

My favourite constellation is the most famous southern constellation, the Southern Cross. It also appears on our country's flag. Its distinctive pattern of stars helped guide sailors for centuries, the upright of the cross pointing the way to the south celestial pole. The cross contains the most striking pair of opposites - the Jewel Box and the Coal Sack - embedded within the southern Milky Way. The Southern Cross is made up of Acrux (alpha crucis), Gacrux (gamma crucis), Decrux, and Becrux.

Astronomers measure angles smaller than 1° (degree) in arcminutes, or “minutes of arc”. There are 60 arcminutes in one degree, so 1 arcminute is 1/60 degree. The symbol for arcminutes is a single apostrophe ( ' ). So the full Moon, for example, is about 31' (thirty one arcminutes) across.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I learned the 10 different basic kinds of clouds and how to recognize them. I am including the clouds in my daily weather records as I work on the expert level badge.

We are enjoying a beautiful, mild fall with moderate temperatures and low humidity. The skies are clear in the morning, with altocumulus clouds forming as the day heats up. Photo is of clouds over my front yard today.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“Some green ways to decorate my home are by using plants and diy projects that utilize natural materials such as wood and other things found in my area.

I’ve attached a picture of one of my handmade signs using a piece of scrap wood and leftover horseshoes from a farrier friend. I’ve also used a wild persimmon tree branch as a curtain rod held up by more horseshoes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I shared what I learned in my Heritage Farmgirls FB group. I just started the chapter and sharing this helps encourage them to jump in and get started.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“Rhythm is the beat or tempo, melody is the pitch or theme, and harmony is produced with a chord, consonance, or even dissonance.

I listened to a group called 40 Fingers perform a song called Libertango. They are four guitarists playing a style that blends contemporary songs with flamenco. They take turns with the rhythm, melody and harmony in a way that is awe-inspiring!

In the blues genre, I listened to Sue Foley perform Hurricane Girl.

Lastly, I listened to Home Free (a capella country group) perform Seven Bridges Road which is best classified as country rock, I guess.

I love music in a lot of different genres, so this was a joy to revisit some of my favorites and discover a new favorite in 40 Fingers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“Composer: Igor Stravinsky was a Russian (later French & American) composer, pianist and conductor. He composed more than 100 pieces during his career, including operas, ballets, concertos, sonatas and symphonies. I picked his song called Ragtime to listen to and was fascinated to hear something that sounded like classical trying to break out into ragtime.

Musician: The 1920s are when jazz and blues became popular, starting a move away from the more classical music. The first great soloist of the 1920s musicians, Louis Armstrong's legend rose because of the New Orleans style jazz that strove for a more collective sound with all instruments playing in harmony.

I shared it on the forum!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“As rural as we live, curbside recycling is not available to us. The nearby towns do not have a recycling center, other than a metal scrapyard.

There is a local man who offers to clean up any scrap metal you have and we take him up on his offer when needed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I have had a great time in the kitchen experimenting with MaryJane's ChillOver Powder. I started by making some of MaryJane's recipes. I made the "Make Your Knees Weak Chocolate ChillOver" featured in the MaryJane's Ideabook. This turned out to be more of a soft-set chillover. For my next attempt, I made the "Vanilla-Bean Panna Cotta" featured in MaryJane's Farm magazine June-July 2021 issue except I substituted the whole milk with coconut milk and the sugar for 1/4 cup raw honey. I increased the amount of ChillOver Powder to make a firm-set recipe. I served it with a cumquat sauce that my friend had made. My third endeavour was the "Peach Nectar & Cream ChillOver" recipe also featured in the June-July 2021 magazine. I couldn't find peach nectar, so I used apricot nectar instead. This recipe was a little more complicated to ensure that the nectar poured in around the cream centre, however, it turned out and the taste was delicious.

My husband, sister and her children were my taste-testers. The chocolate recipe was a hit with the children and my husband. My sister liked the vanilla panna cotta, complimenting the beautiful smooth texture, and I liked the fruity addition of the apricot nectar & cream ChillOver.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  12:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I continued my ChillOver ComeOver merit badge journey by creating my own ChillOver recipe. I made a "Mango Mousse" with 2 ripe mangoes, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 tsp ChillOver Powder, 1/2 cup hot water.
The beauty of this recipe is that it contains no added sugar. There is enough sweetness from the ripe mangoes. We are heading towards summer here in Australia and fresh mangoes are always a hit in the warmer weather.

I have shared the complete recipe on the Farmgirl Connection under Merit Badge Chit Chat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  1:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I ordered some of MaryJane's Gluten-free Budget Mix and I used it to experiment with some BakeOver recipes. I read through the BakeOver section of the MaryJane's Ideabook for ingredient ideas.

My first BakeOver was a Strawberry, Blueberry, and White Mulberry BakeOver. I used my own strawberries and mulberries from the garden, and I added some cream cheese to the fruit.

The second BakeOver that I made utilized sweet potato, eggplant, mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese and salami. I added a thicker base to this recipe which held together better when I flipped it out of the pan.

Once again, my family members were willing taste-testers. They actually enjoyed the savoury recipe the most. If I had told my husband that it contained eggplant, he probably wouldn't have eaten it, but it was a great way to disguise some of the vegetables and he enjoyed it regardless.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page