Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2021 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Italy has an elected President who serves a 7-year term with one re-election and second term possible. The current President of Italy is Sergio Mattarella, since 2015. The President is elected by the Houses of Parliament which include the Chamber of Deputies (630 members) and the Senate of the Republic (315 members), the groups responsible for making laws for Italy. The President appoints a Prime Minister and 5 judges to the Constitutional Court. The President has the power to veto bills and monitor constitutionality of laws. The President alone has the power to declare war, but works together with Parliament to establish international treaties. The President is also Commander of the Armed Forces and Supreme Council of Defense.

The Court of Cassation is the Supreme Court in Italy, and they make sure that laws are enforced in the lower courts. There is a network of criminal, civil, and administrative courts that work together across the country, under the jurisdiction of the Court of Cassation.

In reading about government in Italy, I'm struck by the similarities between their rule of law and that of the United States. I really had no idea that this was the case.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2021 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Italy became a Republic in 1946, replacing the monarchy, and established the current Constitution in 1948, replacing a constitution established by King Charles Albert which had been the basic law for the king’s commonwealth. Leading up to World War II this constitution held little value due Fascist control, therefore once the monarchy was replaced with a republic, a new set of laws were drafted.

The Italian Constitution is very similar to the U.S. Constitution in establishing and protecting the unalienable rights of sovereign individuals. It is protected by the Constitutional Court just as ours is protected by the Supreme Court. Some of the personal freedoms established in the Italian Constitution are:
• The right to travel at home and abroad
• The right of association (assembly) and freedom to choose religion
• The right to hold public meetings
• Freedom of press and speech (within guidelines of morality)
• Equality of spouses in marriage and equality of children to one another

Since I hope to visit Italy someday, I am comforted by knowing that they have similar style of government and rules as to that of the United States. Their constitution takes the sovereignty of their people seriously and seems to be aware and intent on protecting the rights of all people, just as we have here in America.

(pic is of Quirinale Palace, built in 1574, and home to the Italian President)”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Geography Merit Badge!

“I am fortunate to have a number of pen pals around the world (Germany, USA, New Zealand, Israel). I love old-fashioned hand written letters and it's always a delight to learn about people and places throughout the world. More recently I have started corresponding with April from Redmond, Oregon. We connected via the Sisterhood Chatroom and decided to be pen pals. I also signed up with the Connected AU Letterbox Project which coordinates the delivery of hand written letters from the wider community to people feeling isolated and lonely. I have recently been connected with Susan - a 76-year-old lady from NSW who lives alone. She enjoys puzzles, bush walking, national parks, and writing.

I have been planning a trip to Cambodia for about 2 years now. I was initially signed up to join a medical mission team who were travelling to Phnom Penh in 2020 to complete 10 days of eye surgery. Unfortunately, our trip was cancelled when the COVID pandemic hit, but I have continued to plan my trip and will reconnect with the team once international travel is permitted again.

After 10 days in Phnom Penh, my husband was planning to join me and we would explore the city, visiting the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda and the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek - which tell the story of the tragic legacy of the Khmer Rouge. From Phnom Penh, we would take a riverboat to Siem Reap on the Tonle Sap river. This passes by rural villages where you can watch quiet moments of daily life play out in front of you on the water. In Siem Reap we would visit the temples of Angkor (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, the 'Great Royal City', and Bayon Temple. Here we would also visit the Sala Bai Hotel School where underprivileged local youths learn skills that enable them to find gainful employment in the hospitality industry. Other sites around Siem Reap are the Ta Prohm temple, Srah Srang Lake, Banteay Srei, and the vaulted corridors of Preah Khan.

There are a lot of accommodation and dining recommendations in the Lonely Planets guide. One that really grabbed our attention was the Foreign Correspondent's Club in Phnom Penh - this landmark location is a fine place to recapture the heady days of the war correspondents. The rooms are exquisitely finished in polished wood and include fine art and vintage Phnom Penh Post covers on the wall. The rooms have breezy balconies with prime river views.

We would have to fly from Brisbane to Phnom Penh. The major airlines to Cambodia include Singapore Airlines and Qatar Airways.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“My husband and I had a delightful time trying out some new cuisines for this merit badge. We went to a Turkish restaurant in Toowoomba and dined on a Tavuklu Pide (with marinated chicken, tomato, mushroom, spinach, capsicum, parsley & kasar cheese), Sutlac (a traditional baked creamy rice pudding), and turkish coffee. When in Tasmasia recently, we stopped for dinner at a Japanese-inspired restaurant where we asked the waiter for his recommendations - he suggested we try the Nasu Dengaku (a classic Japanese dish made with eggplant sliced in half, scored and brushed with a sweet and savory miso glaze).

At home, I have been experimenting with more Asian dishes. We have particularly enjoyed a Chinese Sang Choy Bow, a Vietnamese Herbed Chicken Salad, and Thai Chicken Larb and Phad Thai.

The food of China is as diverse as the country itself, with ingredients and cooking techniques depending on the origin of each dish. In the West, they're most at home with the familiar stir-fries of Cantonese cooking. But spicy Sichuan dishes and the robust hotpots and dumplings of the Peking region are rapidly gaining ground. Vietnamese food is characterised by fresh sharp flavours. The heat of chilli and the pungency of fish sauce are countered by the liberal use of fresh lemon grass, coriander, Vietnamese mint and lime. It's a deliciously light cuisine, making the most of an abundant supply of fresh vegetables and herbs. The flavours of Thai food vary from fragrantly aromatic to fiery hot. Spicy red and green curry pastes, tangy fish sauce, and an abundance of fresh coriander, lemongrass and basil are teamed with seafood, chicken, meat, vegetables and noodles in a fresh, light cuisine that's become a favourite around the world.

Since starting this merit badge, I have also been having fun stopping in at a little Indian food market in Toowoomba. I initially went in there when I was cooking my Sri Lankan meal for my friends for the intermediate badge. They are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to spices!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My grandmother had taught be the basics of crochet when I was in primary school. Our favourite projects were Granny Squares (with chains and treble crochets) and I haven't really advanced much further than that simple technique. I had started some Granny Squares and they were sitting in my box of UFOs, so I decided to dig them out and finally finish a project.

The Granny Squares that I made were quite big (just using old bits of scrap wool) and I joined them all together to make a throw rug. The photo attached shows the end result.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  4:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“Wow! I have really enjoyed working on this badge. It's been about a 12-month project, exploring all the watchtowers, lighthouses, old mines and significant historic locations in our region. 100-mile radius gave us a huge scope of space to explore, but I think we've covered most of the significant sites.

Whilst some of the old fire towers are no longer standing, my husband's topographical maps still showed the sites, so we visited them and found some nice plaques and monuments dedicated to those involved in the initial construction of the towers and those who regularly worked in them. Some of the towers have been since relocated to various museums in the area. Those with plaques included Nudley fire tower, Turkey Mountain fire tower, Condarra Tower and the Kumbarilla State Forest Tower. The fire towers still standing and in use included the Jimna Firewatch Tower, the Pechey fire tower, the Benarkin fire tower, the Mount Allen fire tower, Beerburrum tower, Wild Horse Mountain fire tower and the Tibrogaggan tower. There a several that are open to hikers, so you can climb up and take a look from the top.

The only lighthouse within our 100-mile radius is the Cleveland lighthouse. It is only small, but there was a nice bike ride around the peninsula, so we decided to do that and photograph the lighthouse at the end of our ride.

We also visited the old Munro Tramway. Parts of the old tramway are now open as hiking trails, so we regularly walk these and my husband was involved with the restoration of the old locomotive which is now on display at the Ravensbourne sports grounds and Day Use Area. Other rail trails in our area include the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail and the Kilkivan to Kingaroy Rail Trail. There are quite a few original railway stations and ganger sheds still scattered along the trails. Some are open as museums.

Other sites that we visited for this badge include the Bunkers Hill Gold mine site, the Fort Lytton Historic Military Precinct, Helidon Sandstone Quarry, Ipswich Railway Museum and the Grandchester Railway Museum.

We used topographical maps when looking for some of the historic sites. The contour lines show the shape of the land, valleys and plains & these maps (together with a compass) make it much easier to locate sites no longer in use.

As part of this badge, we also went camping at Emu Creek. Sadly, at this time of year, it's more of a dry creek bed, but the surrounding forest is beautiful. It was nice to be off-the-grid for 2 nights. We also took our bikes and went cycling on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail from Yarraman to Linville (about 42km).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to can apple pie filling using the recipe from MaryJane's Ideabook. I canned spaghetti sauce and pickled bell peppers. I've never canned apple pie filling, I can't wait to make some pies this winter. Everything turned out good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry bananas, strawberries, and beef jerkey. I also did a class with a friend. I taught her how to can, freeze, and fry fresh foods. We had a fun time. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I designed my own template to make a wall hanging. I put my family name in the trunk of the tree. We now have a family tree. It turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I researched the four types of basket weaving.

Plaited baskets are woven with a flat, square, or rectangular basket. Both the spider and plaited baskets have warps and weavers. The weavers go over and under the warps, both when plaiting and twining. Weave the warps over and under, making a plain weave pattern.

Coiled basketry is using grasses, rushes, and pine needles.

Twining basketry, uses materials from roots and tree bark. This is a weaving technique where two or more flexible weaving elements ("weavers") cross each other as they weave through the stiffer radial spokes.

Rib weave is a variation of Plain weave and is created very similarly to a plain weave piece of fabric.

The wicker weave is simply woven fiber that is formed to create something rigid—in this case, furniture and other items like baskets. As you're already aware, wicker is not material itself; instead, it's the result of weaving material together in order to hold a solid shape. I spent three hours making a coiled basket. It turned out very nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“Soy wax is a slow burning wax, making it a great value. The wax is made from soy bean and is considered more organic than paraffin wax.

Paraffin wax is a very inexpensive wax and it can hold a high amount of fragrance and color.

Beeswax is one of the oldest forms of candle wax options since it's derived from bees. Beeswax is also a harder, more solid wax that's often used in pillar type candles.

Fragrance oils made for scenting candles:
Essential oils-produced naturally from plants such as herbs and flowers.
Natural scent -crushed or powdered plants, spices and herbs.

Dyes for candles:
Oil-soluble color dyes blend perfectly with wax blends liquid or block dyes appropriate for any candle wax.

Crayons are not always good for color be cause even though they are paraffin the contain other chemicals not suited for candles.

This research was very interesting. Now I will know ways of scenting and coloring for my project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I like to collect different sea shells. So, my collections come from the sea. The most unique thing about my collection is it comes from Mother Nature herself! Shells might look very much the same but each one has its own character.

Conchology is the scientific study or collection of mollusk shells. The local club would be
Pacific Conchological Club located in California.

I found out that there are many clubs to join. As well as many displays at Universities and Museums.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  5:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Susan Whitakerhill (Manyleaves, #4114) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I started flute lessons 2.5 years ago. Growing up I had always wanted to play the flute, but since we already had a piano in the house, and flutes are expensive, piano it was. I hated the lessons, mother made me practice an hour a day except Sunday. I constantly threatened my piano teacher with abandoning her for the flute (empty threat since I did not have one!). So getting close to retirement I splurged and bought myself a beautiful Powell conservatory flute. I was going to teach myself. However, I rapidly discovered the flute is not an instrument amenable to self instruction. I found a wonderful flute teacher in NYC that gives lessons online 2.5 years ago and have been with her since.

As I live in a remote area, off the grid, there are no local choirs, no open mic nights. I do have electricity (solar and generator) and internet via satellite). So I invited my neighbors over for a short concert/recital one cold winter evening. This was followed by hot spiced wine!

The program:
Menuet in F Major - Handel
Waltz in G # Major Schubert
Minuet in G# Major - Mozart
Arietta - Haydn
Scottish Dance - Beethoven
Gigue - John Clerk of Penicuik
Allegretto from Fantasia in D minor - Mozart
Sonatina in G Major - Beethoven

Everyone enjoyed it. We had a nice social evening around the wood stove. I had to work much harder than usual for a few weeks preparing - but it was great fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  6:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I have been working on this badge since February 23rd 2021. I started all my plants from seeds including my heirlooms, then transplanted them out to the garden. I used my carrots and my onion chives in my green salad. To name just a few of the native root vegetables in my county we have: Turnips, beets, carrots, radishes. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  6:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grew more than 3 root vegetables in my garden. I did radish, ginger, garlic, carrots, 2 kinds of beets, turnips and rutabagas. The best way to store them depends on the type of root vegetable. For example, the beets you cut off the tops brush off any soil don't wash them. The carrots you cut off the tops brush off the soil store them in a cool place like the refrigerator drawer in an open container. Garlic you remove the foliage and let the garlic sit out in a dry spot for a few days to cure. Onions you remove the foliage and let the bulbs cure for a few days in a dry spot. Turnips you remove the greens and clean off the soil store the turnips in a container covered with a damp cloth in the refrigerator.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  6:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I've been raising bees on my property for about 3 months. I got the hives from my friend Mike. We visited Mike and he showed us how he separates the honey. It was very educational. I have shared my experience on the farm girl chat room.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  09:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“Beets, carrots, turnip, radishes and celeriac are all root vegetables that can grow in my home state of New York. My favorite grocery store carries each of these, and they are all sourced from the USA. Organic forms of both beets and carrots were available at the time that I did this badge, although stock was low so it is possible there would normally have been other organic options. I found parsnips from Canada. That was the extent of the root vegetables available at that time.

In my pic are celeriac and carrots that I grew, as well as my own potatoes and a couple leeks from the garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“Root vegetables available at the time of my visit for this badge:
• Root Vegetables native to NY:
• Beets: NY is second largest producer; mostly grown in Western NY
• Carrots: grown in Western NY
• Horseradish: a lesser crop grown on only a few farms
• Kohlrabi: lesser crop grown only on a few farms
• Parsnips: minor crop, grown across the state
• Rutabaga: minor NY crop grown across the state
• Turnip: minor crop grown across NY

(I did not include garlic or onions in this list because technically they are bulbs and not root vegetables, but they both grow well in New York, also)

I usually grow carrots in my large containers around the base of a tomato plant because these are companion plants and grow well together. I also find that my carrots grow longer and straighter in pots due to the looser condition of the soil. I have tried many kinds of raised beds for root vegetables and it seems that this works well if they can be watered regularly. I also grow beets and radishes each year. I like to glean greens from my beets while they are growing. If I plant a lot of them at a time I can harvest enough greens to make a meal without disturbing the growth of the root.

In my photo, I'm eating red flannel hash that I made with golden potatoes and beets. My pup thinks it smells yummy! I also made Harvard beets, and beef stew with carrots from my garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  09:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grew radishes in my porch rail planter which worked well early in the year but they didn’t like the heat of mid-July and got stalky rather quickly. I love that radish can be harvested quickly (only a few weeks to maturity) and immediately replanted. I never store radishes because I think they taste the best when enjoyed garden to table.

I also grew onion from sets which turned out well. I learned years ago to break down the onion tops once they get big so that more energy goes into the onion root. Otherwise, they can turn into big green tops with no onion underground. Onions are easy to store for the winter as long as they are stored in an airy place and not forgotten.

I also tried my hand at celeriac which went well. I really didn’t know what I was doing with it but I did harvest a crop and made a creamed soup from it. That is definitely something I will try to grow again. This soup freezes well.

I have kept root vegetables in the basement of my previous home because it was dry and cool. I used a wooden box and a layer of sawdust and was able to store quite a few veggies this way. Currently I don’t have a basement so I have to freeze foods. I typically will cook large amounts of foods and then freeze them in serving sized portions which makes it easy for me to use later when I’m busy with work and classes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My two favorite references for learning about and growing herbs are The Herb Garden by Sarah Garland (1986) and Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte (1998). Using these references, I came up with this list of herbs:
• Allium—bulbous perennial—garlic, chives—high in vitamins/minerals, trace elements; antiseptic and cleansing properties; pot herbs or flavorings; poultice
• Basil—lamiaceae family (mints), annual in my growing zone—antibacterial and antimicrobial properties; digestive aid
• Thymus—thyme, lemon thyme, T.drucei (wild thyme)—culinary herb; antiseptic and disinfectant uses
• Coriandrum sativum—apiaceae family—cilantro—culinary herb; digestive
• Calendula—annual—marigold—medicinal; soothing tea; antiseptic; promotes perspiration; petals are a culinary herb; hybrids have less medicinal strength

We bought a basil plant and grew it in a pot on our porch. We picked leaves off it periodically to use on our homemade pizza. It was delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I built an herb table planter and placed it on my front steps where there is plenty of sun. I bought basil plants and planted some seeds for chives along with some small root vegetables. This worked well but required constant watering. We got a few more basil plants and added them to a large planter with an heirloom tomato plant. This worked better and we had plenty of basil and tomatoes to layer with mozzarella cheese from the Argyle Cheese Farmer.

The chives absolutely thrived and I ended up moving them to the flower bed for the winter. They came back every year and offered pretty blooms to add to a vase with my wildflowers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“At my new home, I have wild thyme (T.drucei) growing everywhere. It’s so profuse that I hardly have to mow the side yard. It is very pretty and attracts pollinators which I love, except that I have a sensitivity to bee stings and spend most of my summers barefoot! I did build some new planters though. I have two raised beds on the south side of the house and two window boxes that I place on the porch rails so that I can step out from the kitchen and gather herbs as needed. In the raised beds I planted several herbs leftover from my daughter’s wedding in 2018 (she had potted them and used them as centerpieces on the tables). I wintered them indoors then planted them in spring 2019 (when she moved from NY to California so they became a Memory Garden for me as I was missing her). They did well in 2019 but I had to move them at the end of the season and only the thyme came back in 2020 and again this summer.
In the porch rail boxes I planted cilantro which I mostly use fresh because I like to make guacamole and homemade salsa. This is a very easy herb to grow, and it can be brought indoors for the winter if watered well and in a sunny location.

I also planted chives (onion and garlic) all around my house because they are so pretty when they bloom and they fill in the flower beds. They are great bug repellents and are very easy to harvest and use. I like to pick a handful and cut them up with scissors into salads, soups, and egg dishes.

If I have herbs still growing at the end of the season, I will cut them and bring them in to dry. I have forced hot air heating system so it is really easy to dry my herbs, but dust is royal pain! I have used grocery bags upside down in umbrella style on my hanging bunches of herbs and this helps a lot. I used some of these along with co-op herbs to make most of the different spice blend recipes found in MaryJane’s Farm: Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook on pages 128-131.

These were fun to make, fun to share, and fun to cook with. I didn’t like all of them but there were a few that I continue to make because they are favorites. Blends like Trelingua and European call for oregano, sage, garlic, red pepper, lavender, thyme and rosemary…all easy to grow and dry.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:06:26 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I love to read. So much so that my library card is worn and cracked! So far this year I have read The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict, a piece of historical fiction that I enjoyed immensely; Clare Booth Luce by Stephen Shadegg which was a biography of an amazing woman who grew up in my area and went on to influence the world in her various offices and capacities; How to Fly in 10,000 Easy Lessons by Barbara Kingsolver, a book of poetry on a variety of subjects that I found in audio version from my library via the Libby app, and it was SUCH a joy to listen to while painting by my window with a summer breeze blowing on me <3 I love it and I think most of the Farmgirls in the Sisterhood would enjoy that one!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I earned an Associates of Arts in creative writing in 2007 and I have been in several writing groups since, including creative/fiction and memoir writing. I read both Woe is I and Eats, Shoots & Leaves for the Farmgirl Grammar badge; both are fantastic and fun!

My short story of fiction for this badge was a silly story of a young girl who tries to get the attention of the cute boy down the street, but every attempt backfires and she becomes embarrassed instead. It is a reflection of how I saw myself as a young girl. I read this, and several other pieces of my memoir writing, at a Porch Party with a group of creatives of all sorts, including a guitarist who played original tunes, a poet who wrote of the world as she saw it, and others. It was a wonderful evening!

My poem is another reflection of myself, and I added it here in my photo.
My persuasive essay was on the effects of “grounding” and why we should all practice it. I shared it on my blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I had the amazing opportunity during my last two semesters of school of being a student coach and algebra tutor. Having started my own math adventure with MAT097 Algebra in 2017 and working my way up through college math, calculus, and differential equations in the years since, it was a great honor to be able to help other students as they were starting their own math adventures. In the fall 2020 semester I worked with two students: one who often had to miss class due to her employment and another with a learning disability. We met for two hours each week on Zoom, working through homework and preparing for exams. In the spring 2021 semester I worked with a returning adult student who also had a learning disability and we spent two hours each week going over her notes and talking through the material at a slower pace than the professor was able to do during class time, so the student was able to ask questions and get a better understanding of the techniques.

I was honored to be chosen for this position and I enjoyed getting to know the students and helping them to succeed in class. My pic is a little math humor for the nerds among us!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page