Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read the book called BEEF: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World. It was a very interesting book to read. I also looked up a local rancher my friend Candy told me about: Hanson Family Farm. They are local and the animals are grass-fed. It turned out good.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I went to Hanson Family Farm and interviewed the husband. He said that he was in 4H and loved to have animals. He also said that he went to school, later on, to learn how to farm. He is now retired and runs a full ranch. I got a small tour of his ranch. He raises cows, goats, sheep, and chickens. I liked talking to them. I saw how great he takes care of all the animals. I purchased some meat. My family really enjoyed the beef that I purchased. We made tacos.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“My friend Candy invited me and Rea to her house to do a little glamping. We glammed up the motorhome to look very girly. We decided to do a Hawaiian theme. Candy purchased us hats and leis. We each wore our own aprons to this big event. It was such a fun time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I read MaryJane's book Glamping with MaryJane. I really enjoyed reading this book a lot. My friend Candy, Rea, and I got together and with the motorhome that we glamped up, we had an evening of fun. We made snacks to share. We made a recipe card so everyone could take it home. I made the candy popcorn. I think it was the best one out of everything that was made. We had such a fun time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I did my research on how to meditate while walking. This is what I came up with. First, you pick a place. Then you perform mindful walking in a safe space where you have enough room to move comfortably, and start walking. Take 10 to 20 steps in a line, moving slower than your normal pace. Pay attention. Notice how your legs feel when you lift them into the air and when they make contact with the ground. Practice. I practiced doing this type of meditation for a month. I also did several other types of meditation throughout the month. I felt relaxed after doing this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I did some watercolor painting I did four small pictures. I then took those pictures and cut them down to make a set of four cards. I layered the cards with three layers. I also stamped sayings on the cards. I really enjoyed doing this project. I like to paint and watercolors it was fun to do.

I also went on an art walk around downtown Brentwood. There are lots of different paintings on the walls that artists have done. A local artist painted many other items in downtown Brentwood. The electrical boxes are one of them. I personally know of a person who painted those boxes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“I have spent a total of at least 7 hours volunteering at a senior citizens housing development. Several of the residents have their own little box garden that I helped them water and weed. This past week it's been over 100 degrees in my area, so I've been doing a lot more watering for the senior citizens. I will continue to help them even though I fulfilled my hours because they are very fragile people and they need a lot of help. I really enjoy helping them a lot. It's nice talking to them and hearing the story of their past. They love me coming to help them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry my herbs and spices. I got some parsley, oregano, and basil. I chose to dry my spices in the microwave this time. When all three were done I crushed them, up got rid of the extra branches and parts of the leaves that were really tough. I put it in a few zip lock bags for a gift for my friend. I gave some to my friend so she can use them. I then used some of it in my spaghetti sauce for dinner. The spice blend really turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I prefer to read non-fiction and biographies the most. It's been hard to find a good fiction genre that I enjoy, however, books about travel and authors that can add a bit of comedy have been enjoyable. It was nice to get back into some poetry for this merit badge. I hadn't read poetry for quite a long time and I really appreciated the talent of some of the poets I read.

The books I read were:
* "The Happiest Man on Earth" - Eddie Jaku;
* "Protein Power" - Mary Eades & Michael Eades;
* "Happy Hens & Fresh Eggs" - Signe Langford;
* "On Mexican Time" - Tony Cohan;
* "Mexican Days" - Tony Cohan;
* "A Man's Got to Have a Hobby" - William McInnes;
* "Lines to Time - A Senior Poetry Anthology" - John McKenzie;
* "Australia's Beating Heart - An Anthology of Traditional Bush Poetry" - Melanie Hall & Susan Carcary;
* Australian Poems That Would Flummox a Farmer" - Philip Rush;”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“F-stop – otherwise known as aperture, the f-stop regulates the amount of light that can pass through a lens at a given shutter speed. Assuming nothing else changes, a small aperture will let in less light than a larger one, so it will take longer for the same quantity of light to pass through the sensor.

Shutter speed is how long an image is exposed to light – it can be milliseconds, or even minutes. The average camera speed is usually 1/60. Speeds slower than this are hard to manage as they almost always lead to blurry photographs. As a rule of thumb, your shutter speed should not exceed your lens’ focal length when you are shooting hand held. For example, if you are shooting with a 200mm lens, your shutter speed should be 1/200th of a second or faster to produce a sharp image;

ISO (film speed) – ISO originally referred to the sensitivity of film – it’s “light gathering” ability. The higher the ISO rating, the greater the film’s ability to capture images taken in low light. For digital photography, ISO refers to the sensitivity – the signal gain – of the camera’s sensor.

Depth of Field is the distance between the closest and farthest objects in a photo that appears acceptably sharp. In a photograph with a narrow DOF, only a small slice of the image is in focus. Conversely, with a large DOF, much more of the scene is sharp.

Framing is the technique of drawing attention to the subject of your image by clocking other parts of the image with something in the scene.

Rule of Thirds describes a basic compositional structure of a photograph. Taking an image, you can split it into 9 elements by using 3 vertical and 3 horizontal lines – the rule indicates that you should place key elements of your scene at one or more of these areas in a photo.

Leading lines are lines that appear in a photograph that have been framed and positioned by the photographer to draw the viewers eye towards a specific point of interest.

I went about taking various photographs which demonstrated the farmgirl lifestyle. I have shared some of these on the Farmgirl Connection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched the government of Hungary. I found out about the system of government and the governing entities. I also learned about the basic doctrines and economic system and trading in the country.

I learned that Hungary has a system of government called a parliamentary representative democratic republic. Government officials are elected by the National Assembly. There is a Prime Minister and other ministers of the government. There is also a two-tiered local system. The document of the government is called The Hungarian Basic Law, but it is not considered to be a constitution. The economy of the country is labeled as a "high-income mixed economy". Hungary has the 57th largest economy in the World, ranking 40th in terms of GDP per capita. The largest economic partner of Hungary is the European Union. Slovakia, Romania, Italy, and Armenia are also trade partners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I looked up the definition of "Jubilee". I thought about a special Jubilee in which I had participated and shared it. I read about the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth, the events that took place, and how regular people were included in the celebration. I shared on the Farmgirl Connection Chatroom two ideas that I had for celebrating our Farmgirl Jubilee.

I participated in my parents' 60th Wedding Jubilee by attending a large family dinner. We shared stories, dancing, and family songs. We heard from my Dad about how he had met Mom, their courtship, and life together over the years.

Queen Elizabeth's 2012 Jubilee was a whirlwind of travel, parties, and parades. The final tribute being a balcony appearance by the Queen and Prince Philip.

My Ideas for celebrating our Farmgirl Jubilee was to have a family barbecue and to give all of my daughters aprons of their own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I bought a tree identification guide because I wanted to be able to keep it. I identified trees in my neighborhood.

I finally have my own tree book! Now I can carry it with me when I go places. My husband is a woodworker, and I have really enjoyed learning about the different woods that he uses. I was surprised to learn that many of the trees in our neighborhood are not native to our area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

“Being a retired school teacher, I already had a globe. I knew about the continents, oceans, and most of the capitals. I researched the history of cartography.

In our house we have always had a globe and maps. I taught geography when I was a History teacher because I knew that the students needed to know about the world around them. The new countries in the world are amazing! The history of mapping is very interesting. Maps have been in use for so long.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I was committed to finding out whether or not our vet practiced holistic and natural medicine. I checked the labels on our dog's food to see what the food contained.

Our veterinarian does practice holistic and natural medicine. He is amazing. We really like him as a doctor and a person because he takes time to care for our dog as if she were his own.
It was surprising to discover what was in dog food, but our dog is a very old dog. We have struggled to get her to eat. We change food all the time in an effort to get her to eat anything.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I reviewed what I know about the atmosphere and how it contributes to weather conditions. I revisited information about atmospheric pressure and the differences between high and low pressure. I also reread about barometers, air masses, and fronts.

Before I retired, I was a teacher. I taught all subjects with one of my favorites being science. Weather was one of the topics that we covered, so I'm fairly well read on that topic. I really enjoyed reviewing all of the things that happen in the world. I've always considered those things to be important to know and study.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  09:43:14 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I investigated different methods for canning food. You could either do it in your pressure cooker in a jar of course, in a water bath, or the steam method. You also can dehydrate different kinds of foods. You can either use your oven at a low temperature of about 200 degrees for three to four hours depending on the thickness of your item. You can also use a dehydrator to dehydrate bacon or anything else you want to dehydrate. When you use the dehydrator, it will take anywhere from 6 to 18 hours to get it fully dehydrated. Both ways turn out really good.

I chose to make bacon. I made it with brown sugar and maple syrup in my oven. I wanted it now. I froze three different kinds of produce: Blueberries, bananas, and asparagus. For breakfast, I made an egg stir-fry using the frozen mushrooms, asparagus, and maple bacon as my ingredients. I also did a yogurt bowl with strawberries and blueberries that I took out of my freezer. I let my husband know about how I used home-preserved ingredients for this stir-fry. My husband really enjoyed eating it with me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“Mindful meditation, which I call my break time, is that time of day when you need a quiet moment. My usual stop and rest time when I'm at home is in the late afternoon. At work it has to be on my lunch break. Taking the time to close your eyes and just being quite and centered helps re-energize the body and mind.

I'm used to taking time out and away in the afternoon where I can be quiet, take deep breaths, and clear my mind. I learned the breathing meditation technique years ago by a Dr. Andrew Weils lecture, which is a great way to learn to be calm. I choose the month of April to really make effort to be consistent with meditation every day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Caramel corn, carrot cake and potato chips are three guilty pleasure foods that I love to eat. Caramel corn is always a easy and quick snack to make. The carrot cake that I make is a vegan no-bake carrot cake. Easy to keep in the freezer and always have it ready. Baked potato chips take a little long but are always worth the wait!

I make the caramel corn all the time. I use organic popcorn and coconut sugar and homemade butter. The no-bake carrot cake, which I made for Easter, is an easy, healthier cake made with cashews, carrots, dates, coconut milk, and spices. Baked Potato chips are great when you buy too many potatoes!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry herbs and spices by reading a book and looking on the Internet. I created the spice blends from MaryJane's Ideabook, and then I package them as a gift set using an organza bag, typing up the recipe card and attaching it. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to can apple pie filling and I made MaryJane's recipe from her Ideabook. I also made a tomato marinara spaghetti sauce, and I learned how to can my own dill pickles. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:33:44 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry fruit by watching video tutorials on YouTube. I dried peaches, strawberries, oranges and raisins. I had a putting up party with my friend Rea #8284 from June 1 - June 2, 2021. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I did my beginning badge in December of 2020. Now that the fruit stands are open, it's time to get back into canning. I bought a new water-bath canner to go along with my atmospheric pressure steam canner. I made two things using the water-bath canning method, which is usually used for your higher acidic foods, so I did the dill pickles and the tomato marinara sauce. It turned out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I used my atmospheric pressure steam canner to do four different recipes. I did carrots, strawberry jam, apple syrup and apple pie filling. I did it with my friend Rea, #8284, so we shared our recipes. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  11:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I spent most of my time on this badge doing the research. I looked at the Longaburger Company based in New York City, Which is famous for Maplewood baskets. I research the plaited, coiled, ribbed and wicker baskets. Plaited are woven flat, square, and rectangular, and have warps and weaves. Coiled baskets are a wrap core material and sewing is used in the design work, especially seen with the Southwest Indian tribes.

Ribbed baskets are also known as melon, buttocks, peanut, gizard, Bow, Fanny, and egg baskets. The ribbed baskets are usually identified by a God's eye or a dojo wrap pattern. Wicker baskets use a technique of weaving from plant materials such as rattan, reed, willow or bamboo, with rattan being the most common. I watched youtube basket weaving tutorials and chose the cup weaving. I made a woven cup basket. It was interesting.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page