Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“My Kitchen Adventure continued: Maple Syrup Making! For background, you make syrup by collecting sap produced by trees in the spring and boil it down until it is syrup. There are no additives in Pure maple syrup, it is simply tree sap boiled for a very long time until the water is reduced, and it is becoming syrup. On average, it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It is a natural, healthy, and delicious source of sugar in our home; and we share it with our family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR MAKING MAPLE SYRUP: You need different equipment for the different “steps” in making maple syrup. Those steps can be broken down into (1) sap collection, (2) boiling, and (3) finishing.

(1) For sap collection, you need the following equipment:
- Maple trees! We tap sugar maples, silver maples, black maples, and red maples. You can also tap box elder trees and black walnut trees – but you should keep sap from those trees separate as they produce a very different tasting syrup than the various maple trees produce. Walnut syrup is by far my favorite.
- An electric drill gun with a 5/16 inch drill bit (assuming you are using smaller diameter spiles like we do).
- Spiles (we purchase commercially made plastic ones).
- Collecting Buckets (we use food-grade 5-gallon buckets with lids).
- Tubing (purchased from a local maple syrup supplier).
- A rubber mallet (to pound the spiles into the tree).

(2) For boiling, you need the following equipment:
- Evaporating Pan (our first and second years, we used catering pans over a home-made cinderblock “oven”. This year, we purchased a real evaporator from a maple syrup supplier. Some people use turkey fryers).
- Heat source (we boil over wood outdoors; some people use propane-fueled turkey fryers).

(3) For finishing, you need the following equipment:
- Finishing pot (for boiling the concentrated sap indoors until it is finished into syrup).
- Thermometer (you reach syrup at 7 degrees Fahrenheit over boiling temperature ~219 degrees).
- Hydrometer (syrup is finished at a very specific density, and so a hydrometer is used to measure that density).
- Filters (we use orlon filters produced specifically for filtering maple syrup)
- Containers (mason jars, glass bottles, etc.).

This is now our third year making maple syrup, and we have kept detailed notes every year – on when we started collecting sap, how many trees, and how many taps we used, and how much syrup we produced. We have learned an unbelievable about each time we do this –even within the same year from boil to boil we are always becoming more efficient and experienced.

The first year that we made syrup, we boiled it to 219 degrees Fahrenheit and then bottled it – but the issue is that it is not finished until it reaches 7 degrees over boiling – and the boiling temperature is not a consistent thing year to year or day to day, or even geographically. So, the second year we purchased a hydrometer so that we could boil to the correct density instead of to the correct temperature. This made the syrup go from a watery consistency to the correct syrup consistency.

Next year, we plan to purchase a brew kettle with a spout on it to use for bottling our syrup – currently we pour it into bottles using a plastic food-grade funnel.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“My Kitchen Adventure continued: Maple Syrup Making! For background, you make syrup by collecting sap produced by trees in the spring and boil it down until it is syrup. There are no additives in Pure maple syrup, it is simply tree sap boiled for a very long time until the water is reduced, and it is becoming syrup. On average, it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It is a natural, healthy, and delicious source of sugar in our home; and we share it with our family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

It has taken 3 years, but we have made edits along the way and have finally gotten our process just right. Investing our money in professional maple syrup production supplies and purchasing a professional evaporator has been the last step to really streamlining and making our process nearly perfect. With practice and experience, we become more efficient and confident in our craft. We have been making a greater effort to invite out members from our community, friends, family, and co-workers to see the process and get involved. You would not believe how many people drink a glass of maple sap – a clear liquid that tastes like slightly sweet water and are just amazed by the finished product of maple syrup. It is a labor of love – with the amount of energy and time it takes to boil down sap into syrup – but we absolutely LOVE doing it. Our long-term goals (5-10 years away) are to buy a new property with 10+ acres of woods and to build a sugar shack – a building meant solely for boiling and processing maple syrup – instead of boiling outdoors in the elements.

My favorite way to use maple syrup – outside of topping our pancakes, waffles, and French toast with it – is to use in my baking and cooking as an alternative and healthier sweetener. We have also been playing with different recipes to make more than just syrup. If you keep boiling beyond the syrup brix (measure of density), you can boil the sap down into maple butter, maple candy, and maple sugar. My favorite way to enjoy pure maple syrup is as a topping on a vanilla ice cream.

Attached is a photo of our evaporator hard at work boiling the sap down into maple syrup.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“CHICKEN MATH: We started keeping a backyard flock of chickens in the spring of 2018 – starting with 6 little chicks that we picked up from the local farm store during one of their chick days. Fast forward to spring of 2021 – we now have 17 hens and 1 rooster in our backyard flock – chicken math, am I right?

ORGANIC FEEDING: We built our chicken coop ourselves and have a predator proof run attached to it – this way if we have to go out of town for a night, the chickens can leave their coop during the day but still be safe. We usually let our chickens free-range – as we live on just over 3 acres and have a corn/sorghum field behind us, a hay field in front of us, a large section of woods to one side, and a dirt road with all the gravel a chicken could desire and almost no traffic. We have converted a large portion of our yard into an organic wildflower prairie, grow a large organic vegetable and cut flower garden, and have another large part of our yard converted to an organic buckwheat field. When the birds can forage for their own food – be if plants, seeds, fruits, or insects – they have a much more well-rounded diet. When they do sit tight in their coop and run, we built what I like to call “the chicken salad bar”, which is a squared area covered with chicken wire built up by some 2x4 wood pieces. Essentially, the vegetation under the chicken wire can grow up since the chickens are not able to get to the ground and dig up the roots. We plant a variety of seeds in our salad bar, including clover, buckwheat, a variety of grass species. The chickens can graze at what parts of the plants grow through the wire fence without killing the entire plant. While we do not purchase organic chicken feed, we do purchase a crumble mix meant for egg layers and try to supplement with foraging and organic additions as much as possible.

We really enjoy keeping chickens – they add value to our life in the eggs they produce, the pests they help keep down when they are out foraging, and the fertilizer we add to our compost piles and gardens. Plus, they are just so fun and goofy to watch. Included is a photo of our one rooster.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We moved into our farmhouse in November and had a few water issues. Some we knew about, and others we didn't. We fixed a leak under a sink, unhooked the water softener that was continuously running because of a broken part, and repaired a toilet that would not stop running. Since we are rural we need to read our own meter.

It turned out great! I was expecting a higher water bill from allowing dripping faucets during the sub-zero temps and power outage and was shocked to discover we used 1000 less gallons of water last month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We're collecting 50 gallon barrels and IBC containers to recycle for rain capture. The barn roof and chicken coop roof is perfect for capture. The home gutters need a little work before they can be used. The plan is to use them with a gravity drip system in the garden as well as a gravity valve system for watering the animals.

So far so good! We have a few barrels that are getting cleaned out with natural water from rain catch. We want to make sure they're full of clean water before use with animals and garden. There is a lot of trial and error, but it is all a very fun challenge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I mentioned it in the beginner badge. We reduced our water usage by 1000 gallons. We were using 5000 gallons a month and even with dripping faucets during the sub-zero temps and power outage we still saved 1000 gallons of water. Some of what we do is to have a dishpan of water to soak/rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher instead of letting the water run. We fixed our leaks and toilet issues. I've started using bathwater to clean the dogs and floors. I also used the capture bucket of the dehumidifier to water my plants :)

It is awesome. It only saved $10 a month, but I'm impressed with the quantity of water saved and can't wait to see if we have even less next month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“1: I learned that atmosphere is the gasses surrounding a planet and gravity keeps them in place. Changes in atmospheric pressure drive weather patterns.

2: High pressure systems deliver cooler temperatures and low pressure systems bring warmer temperatures as well as rain and storms.

3: A barometer is a tool used to measure atmospheric pressure. They are able to reveal altitude as well as predict the weather. Wind is formed when the sun causes an uneven heating of the surface of the earth. When gases in the atmosphere move from areas of high pressure to low pressure areas then an increase in wind speed occurs. The change in wind speed is greater when the difference between high and low pressure is greater. Another way wind is influenced is by air temperature. Temperatures influence the gasses in the atmosphere. With high pressure systems (cooler temperatures) the gas molecules are more crowded than with low pressure systems (higher temps) where the gasses spread out more. Warm air rises and leaves low pressure behind it. The gasses moving between high pressure systems and low pressure systems create wind. This is why tornadoes occur at the edge of systems where high and low pressures meet. Warm humid air rises and cooler air drops. These changes create spinning in the clouds. The area inside a tornado is a low pressure area and the exterior is high pressure.

We have been experiencing a lot of storms this spring. I've noticed that I get headaches when the barometric changes. That's typically when I start looking online for storms moving into the area. Now I know to look more at the clouds and wind patterns to predict on my own. It was very interesting to study this topic again after so many years. I included a photo of our clear sky sunrise, our rain gauge, and the sky the night before the polar vortex moved in. We had more than 6 inches over the last few weeks since the polar vortex moved through.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Deidre Malcom (sweetsmom, #8353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I built a sewing basket with the list of items and included threads, buttons, needles, straight pins, safety pins, quilt clips, pin cushion, pinking shears, fabric scissors, and paper scissors. I also added embroidery floss, a seam ripper, and fabric marking pencils. Both my kids now have a sewing basket. My son's is different because he is in the Army and needed regulation items.

It's awesome having everything in a sewing basket where I can find what I need when I need it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“This was so easy for me! My friends actually give them to me and I have a serious collection from Publix Markets in Florida. So, I collected 6 additional bags from: Staples, Project Linus, Menard's, Barnes & Noble, JoAnn Fabrics, and Trader Joe's. I always keep at least 6 in my car so they are always available for shopping trips.

I loved adding some new bags to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept the gratitude journal for a month and had no problem being grateful for so very many things. I so enjoyed The Book of Awesome!

It was so eye-opening to think about the things and people I am grateful for. At the end of the month I was very humbled to review the list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“This was easy for me! I have never yielded to the text-messaging abbreviations (and they make me crazy when others send them to me). Some slang and on-purpose misusage had to go and I was surprised to hear myself use them. I kept a list of unfamiliar words for 2 weeks and had a lot of fun confounding my husband when I used them in conversation!

This made me more aware of when I use improper grammar on purpose - I'm on a crusade to quit! Thanks for this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“As an avid bird watcher I have made a list of birds native to my area and regularly mark them in my bird book. These include: robins, blue jays, cardinals, ruby throat hummingbirds, flickers, crows, great horned owls, indigo buntings, brewer's blackbirds, starlings, goldfinches, turtle doves, barn swallows, juncoes, downy woodpecker, wrens, burrowing owls, brown headed cowbirds, red-wing blackbirds -- plus some others. Some of these are winter or summer only.

My wish list to observe in the wild includes Golden or Bald Eagles, Sand Hill Cranes, Puffins and all those other Hummingbirds that are west of the Mississippi River!

It was incredible to make this long list of all the birds that I see almost regularly out my dining room window.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“This was a fun area to get into. As a sewist and daughter of a sewist, I have MANY buttons - way over 1000. I have my Mother's button box and so enjoyed pawing through all my buttons. I sorted out 50 very special ones - some from when I made baby and toddler clothes for my now 43 year old daughter. I also collected buttons from special people a few years ago and they are included in my 50.

It was fun to single out these 50 special buttons. I'm looking forward to making a tatted button necklace for the next level!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I emptied every drawer and cabinet. I sorted all containers, purged, cleaned nd organized. I tossed all the unusable containers and lids. I sent all the unwanted to my favorite thrift store which helps support a local women's shelter.

I had lots of new space and all these cabinets and drawers were cleaned and organized.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“My needs list included some food replacement items (from cleaning & purging my pantry), a new potato peeler, and 2 OXO containers for pasta and turbinado sugar. Unneeded items went to Blessingdales Thrift Shop.

I was glad I didn't need much! It was good to purge and not refill these areas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“My husband has purchased excellent knife sharpeners for my use. They are kept in a specific place. I sharpen any paring knives as needed to keep them razor sharp for service. He also showed me how to use a whet stone. It is available to me.

I enjoyed the outdoorsy-ness of the whet stone! All the knife sharpeners are now in their specific home for easy availability.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“My goals for this badge are: control my diet, walk daily (10 miles/week by April 30), keep a food journal, count calories daily, weigh daily and measure weekly. I have a weight loss goal of 20 lbs by May 30.

I have not started walking yet - but weather is changing to allow that. I have lost 5 pounds. I have achieved all the other goals - they have become second nature.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have continued to keep a daily food journal, count daily calories, weigh daily, and measure weekly. I watch portions very carefully to keep my calorie intake balanced among the food groups. I have virtually cut out sugary treats.

As of today, I have lot 11 pounds and am on track for my objective the end of May. Feeling good and feeling good about myself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I learned cake decorating basics. How to fill the bag, correct decorating bag position, using couplers, and a few more things. I have a few books that I looked at, I also went on the web and youtube to learn as much as I could. I had fun learning how to decorate cakes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I put together a basic cake decorating kit. I made a 3 layer cake and made the frosting for it all. I then frosted the cake with white frosting. and set aside 3 bowls of frosting to make different colors. I used 3 different tips to decorate the cake. I then put some sprinkles on top. It turned out pretty good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I have tried many different things to eat. I don't think I'm a picky eater. But I can't eat beef because of my health, so sometimes it limits me to what I can eat. I went on the internet and looked up some food I would like to try. I thought I would make a Chili Relleno. Yum!!! Everyone says it's good so I will try it out. I gathered my ingredients to make it. It was good. I found everything I needed to make my dish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“My friend Rosero, Maria, and I made some Chili Rellenos. We had so much fun making them. Rosero taught me how to make homemade tortillas also. Maria made the rice to go with everything. As we ate, we talked about places we have been. Rosero and I have gone on 2 mission trips together. One was to Mexico and the other was to Brazil. We tried many different foods while we were there. We talked about all the different food we have tried. I think that I'll try sushi next.

The dinner was good, the company was fun. We need to do this more often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made some buttermilk. It was so easy just milk and lemon juice. I learned about proper milk handling of milk. It should not be left out of the fridge, and to keep in its original container. The good aseptic technique with the starter for cheese is to make sure everything is clean and sanitized. To keep a proper temperature control, use a double boiler and calibrated thermometer when heating milk and maintain set temperatures. The top of the fridge and the oven with the light on are common spots. Maintain the hot water bath at 170-180 degrees F while stretching.

I had fun looking up how to get started to make some cheese.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I learned what rennet is it is made from the stomach lining of young calves, but there are other ingredients that can mimic this chemical reaction. The real use of rennet is to separate the solid milk particles from the water in the milk. I went to work on making my first had cheese. I made Manchego cheese.

It did not turn out very good. But I did have fun making it. I am going to try again. I really want it to work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I expanded my cheese making to make 4 different kinds of cheese. I made Queso Blanc, farmer's cheese, Mozzarella, and Burrata cheese. They all came out good. I tasted them all and liked them all.

I loved all the cheeses but my favorite was the farmer's cheese.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page