Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have a library card. I have had one for over 30 years now. There are so many things you can do with your card. I check out the book in person. But you can go online and gt audiobooks, that is what I like the most. I like to listen to my book and do crafts at the same time. But sometimes they are not on the audio so I have to read it. I like reading a lot. Before covid, I would go to the library to take classes. they had a beading class once a month that I just loved going to. They also have storytime for my daycare did that I did once a week with them. I started my TBR pile of books, and my TBR audiobooks. I am hoping that covid will be over so we can go back to going to the library.

This was fun to do. Picking books and starting to read them was just as much fun.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“The apple tree originated in Central Asia, where its wild ancestor, Malus sieversii, is still found today. Apples have been grown for thousands of years in Asia and Europe and were brought to North America by European colonists.

Apples are used to just eat off the tree, to make applesauce, we can them, and make juice. In my area, we have Apple Hill—they grow so many different varieties of apples.

Apples that are for eating are red delicious, yellow delicious, pink lady, gala, and fuji
Apples good for canning are apples are Granny Smith, Pippin, and golden delicious.
Apples used to make apple cider Red Delicious. Golden Delicious and Gala. The two things that I learned was where apples came from and that there are so many varieties. I wanted to try them all. I went to the store and bought 4 different kinds of apples, loved them all.

This was fun. I got to eat apples and learn the history of where they came from. I got a picture of a person picking apples off a tree at Apple Hill Farms.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have been trying new organic foods each week for one month. I tried some lettuce, apples, carrots, and oranges. I liked trying out organic foods.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I've been journaling my writing using my markers and the calligraphy holders and the nibs. I have read Modern Calligraphy. In the book, there was so much info on what you can do using calligraphy. You could make tags, cards, place cards is just a small part of the book. There are instructions on how to do almost anything you could imagine. I loved the book so much.

I really enjoyed doing this. I will be doing a lot of the things that were in the book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I did my research on the concept of gray water, on how to collect it and what I can use it for. I looked up ways to reuse the water. I made my rain barrel system and it's in my backyard. I also got my first rain and was able to see how much I got. I collected 1.3 inches in a 30 gallon can. I used it to water my flowers. The rain barrel was fun and easy to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“For two weeks, I lowered my water bill by 15%. I calculated the water for a month and it was the lowest it's ever been. I love saving money.

Wow, I learned how to save water and money at the same time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have my house all totally organized around going green. I then made a clothes line using a rope from my fence to my apple tree. I have been using it to dry my clothes for a bit now. I only use non-toxic paint when I need to do any home repairs. My carpets are not outgassing—I'm good for that part. I spent 6 hours with my sister helping her to go green. I gathered up my books into a lending library. I have given the list to my friends and family. I have a little shelf on my porch so they can come and check them out.

It was fun to do this one. I learned so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I went to Santa Rosa, my hometown. Life was so different for the people before me. Santa Rosa was founded in 1833 and named after Saint Rose of Lima. Santa Rosa Plain was home to a strong and populous tribe of Pomo natives known as the Bitakomtara. The tribe gathered at ceremonial times on Santa Rosa Creek near present-day Spring Lake Regional Park. This is the place where my family would have picnics and swim in the lake. When they lived, their life was so simple but hard. The Pomos were decimated by smallpox brought from Europe. By 1900, the Pomo population had decreased by 95%. So sad. Today we have vaccines so we won't get it now. The biggest difference from back then to now is they did not have the medicine that we have today.

It was fun going back to my stomping grounds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:09:20 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I did my research on the tribe of Pomo. They are natives known as the Bitakomtara. The Bitakomtara controlled the area closely, barring passage to others until permission was arranged. Those who entered without permission were subject to harsh penalties. The tribe gathered at ceremonial times on Santa Rosa Creek near present-day Spring Lake Regional Park. I went there as a child. I love this place. But the Pomos were decimated by smallpox brought from Europe. By 1900, the Pomo population had decreased by 95%.

The Pomo Indians of Northern California relied upon fishing, hunting, and gathering for their daily food supply. The Pomo Indian culture is famed for its tradition of intricate basketry. The Pomoan languages became severely endangered after the European-American colonization of their native territory there are about twelve Pomo language varieties that are still in use by Pomo people. I visited recently and now that I know what I know it feels so different. Santa Rosa has so much history that I never knew about. I gave a talk on the chit-chat.

It was fun visiting Santa Rosa and learning the history of the tribe of Pomo.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Sallie Dee Walker (Sallie Dee, #441) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“My 7 year granddaughter loves baking so for Christmas I made her a full size apron made from a kit to go along with her cake ball maker and some fun utensils. I had so much fin embellishing the apron with buttons and vintage bias lace in her favorite aqua color. She absolutely loved it and because it's a one-size-fits-all adult pattern, it will easily fit her through her teen years!

This kit took me about five hours total from cutting to embellishing! It was fun and easy to do and It turned out so adorable! One of my favorite gifts to give this year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Sallie Dee Walker (Sallie Dee, #441) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a crazy and unorganized T-shirt quilt for my daughter for her high school graduation using the many sewing skills from the beginner quilt. After she got married, she told me that her husband always wanted one for himself. As a secret, she gathered up all his special shirts that he was hanging onto and gave them to me. I arranged them in a very aesthetically pleasing way, backed the quilt with the front border fabric, and lined it with soft fleece inside for weight and warmth. Finally, I tied all corners to hold it all together. My husband cheered me on as he watched the quilt come together!

It turned out to be amazing! I was so proud of using my skills to take this quilt to the next level with thoughtful planning and layout, precise measurements, and attention to quality finishing! My son-in-law not only loved it but was so genuinely touched by the sentimental value in this quilt!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Sallie Dee Walker (Sallie Dee, #441) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I've been sewing and crafting for years and I recently I began organizing all my sewing notions as I created a new craft area. I gathered up all the leftover, recycled, collected, and inherited buttons that I have accumulated over the years and put them in a tall decorative jar. Now it is a beautiful focal piece in my new creative space and I can enjoy the buttons visually even when I am not using them!

I really love how this idea shows off my large collection of buttons! The jar is 10” tall, clear glass with etchings and together they make quite a statement. As an added bonus, having them out has reminded me to let the grandchildren look through them as they point out the attributes of each and sort them into muffin tins just as I did with my mother’s buttons when I was a child!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:09:11 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made buttermilk it was really easy. Proper milk handling: start with a healthy animal and proper equipment. Clean equipment, clean the animal, milk cleanly, cool the milk quickly, handle with care. Aseptic technique: identify key parts and key sites, protect keys from contamination during procedure, decontaminate non-aseptic key parts as required, maintain aseptic fields, perform hand hygiene, wear sterile gloves, using non-touch technique whenever possible. Proper temperature: as mesophilic cultures, they culture at Room temperature 70 to 77 degrees F. Refrigerate up to 7 to 14 days past date and can keep in the freezer up to 3 months.

It was interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I made a concentrated effort to improve my grammar in spelling and avoid using abbreviations. I did my 2 weeks of finding an unfamiliar word to add to my vocabulary. This badge was interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I created my calligraphy journal.
I ordered a professional calligraphy set.
I read Modern calligraphy and Creative lettering books.
I've made award certificates, award money envelopes, and a letter so far.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I learned the 3 basic elements of music which are rhythm, melody, and harmony. Rhythm is strong, regular repeated patterns of movement or sound. Melody is a sequence of single notes that is musically satisfying. Harmony is simultaneously occurring frequencies, pitches, or chords.

The 3 songs I listened to in each of the categories are:

Rhythm: Amanda Seyfried, Mamma Mia; Leann Rimes, Life goes on; Madonna, 4 minutes.
Melodies: Micheal, Jackson Beat It; Survivor Eye, of the Tiger; Roy Orbison, Pretty Woman.
Harmonies: Beach Boys Good Vibrations; Mamas and Papas California Dreamin'; Simon & Garfunkel Sound of Silence.

It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I bought incense sticks and went around the house to test for air leaks. The windows are fine, the front door has leaks. Good to know where you have leaks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“I did 6 different litter walks and paired them with my monthly recycling which are, paired with our weekly garbage pickups and our composting. I did this from January 18 to March 6, 2021.

It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:35:46 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“For this intermediate level I made a frog, butterfly, and crane. The crane was the most challenging. I also made a heart shape, cell base and a fan. for the flowers I choose a lily, four petal flower with center, and a tulip!

This was fun and challenging to learn all the folds and turns of the paper. It was a craft that I haven't explored much. And now onto expert level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“We had a ChillOver taste-test party! The first flavor we tried was Pomegranate/Cherry. Then we made two new flavors lemon/Peppermint and Orange/Pineapple.

I liked the Pomegranate/Cherry ChillOver the best. My friend Candy (tigger9777) liked the Orange/Pineapple.

All of the ChillOvers came out well. We put two of the ChillOvers in silicone molds and the Pomegranate/Cherry was made in a glass. I liked the look of the Pomegranate/ Cherry in the glass. I would serve this to my family, I think they would enjoy the organic version.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“The first of two dinners was a Hawaiian dinner plate with katsu chicken and rice. The second dinner was one from the Asian food market. I wandered around the store to see all the different Asian products and settled on Korean pancakes, Beancake rice crackers and Jop-Chae. Had a nice dinner taste testing and talked about places we have been and places we would like to go back to again. For me it was Italy, for my friend it was Ireland!

This was a fun day for because I like trying different ethnic foods . . . as for my friend, it was a real different experience to say the least. Also one interesting thing to know that Mexican food doesn't use seafood as much as Latin food. Thai food is definitely more spicy than Chinese food, but I like them both. It was fun to get different foods and share the experience. Now I cant wait until the new Burmese restaurant opens in my town!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“As I was reading through my MaryJane's Ideabook again for pleasure, I hadn't decided on supper for the day. So thought I'd try BakeOver. I had lots of leftovers of various veggies and meats. Put them altogether with a crust made from homemade quick mix, and adding some spices. Baked and served.

The BakeOver turned out great! It is a great way to use leftovers in the refrigerator and make a satisfying meal. Hubby likes them as the more I put on, the better it tastes to him.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“We've been eating out of our freezer and pantry of veggies and meats that we grew or hunted. This saves alot on the grocery bill. With the money we saved on not grocery shopping, I was able to get some yarn, scrapbooking & card-making supplies.

I buy only organic lettuces and fresh fruits now and still save money.

I have always had a garden, with canning and freezing every year. But hubby always wanted to have cheap, non-organic fresh fruits and veg. This year, we talked it over and have agreed to eat out of our freezer and canning totally except for a salad now and then. My grocery bill is down to $36 every 2 weeks. And I found that our Aldi's grocery store carries all organic veggies now!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  1:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“Hubby and I took a tour with a local mushroom club and learned many valuable things. They helped us identify the mushrooms that were edible and non-edible in our area with many cautions. We then took our knowledge not only on our own property, but when we went camping we found many mushrooms. Picked, identified, clean, cooked and ate them with our meal. We also found leeks, and had fish.

In and by our garden area, we find puffball mushrooms to eat in the early fall. In our fields we find leeks. In our forests we find fiddlehead ferns (we learned about them at our last home 2 hours north of this home. The gentleman that taught us was our neighbor, who has since passed). The mushroom class was very interesting, though they didn't help us find any mushrooms that we didn't already know about. It was still good to meet with others. Then over last summer's vacation, we were hiking the trails and found oyster mushrooms on some dead logs. They were plentiful and delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  2:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“Our spring days in Mid-Michigan are filled with the endless amount of time that our Maple Syrup Making hobby eats up. I added a suggestion on the forum for a new badge idea: Maple Syrup Making! To which Heather (Farmgirl Sister #4701!) suggested that I could use the Kitchen Renegade Badge for this hobby! So, my Kitchen Adventure: Maple Syrup Making! For background, you make syrup by collecting sap produced by trees in the spring and boil it down until it is syrup. There are no additives in pure maple syrup, it's simply tree sap boiled for a very long time until the water is reduced, and it becomes syrup. On average, it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It is a natural, healthy, and delicious source of sugar in our home; and we share it with our family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

BEGINNER LEVEL
FOOD SAFETY AND SANITARY PRACTICES: As with any food-related hobby, there are always food-safety concerns to keep in mind – even with maple syrup making.

At the start of our syrup season, we clean and sanitize all our equipment – tree spiles, tubing, plastic food-grade buckets, plastic food-grade barrels, and tanks. We wash everything with soap and hot water, and then clean/sanitize with a bleach solution. We hope to explore more natural ways of sanitizing our equipment in future – by using things like vinegar instead.

The first important step related to food-safety and maple syrup is to keep your sap from spoiling. When collecting sap, we treat it like milk. Sap can and will spoil, if left to sit for too long. When we collect sap, we always make sure to store it in a cold location – early in the season, we pack snow around our sap storage containers. Later in the season, we freeze bottles and buckets of sap and create “ice cubes” to keep the temperature down. We also do not let sap sit for long. In the early season while temperatures are low, we boil the sap within 7-days of collection. As the season goes on and daytime temperatures rise, we boil the sap within 3- or 4-days of collection. If sap spoils, it becomes cloudy and will taste and smell “off” – so we always check for optimal sap conditions before we begin to boil and process it.

The process of making maple syrup requires extensive boiling, and the final product has such a high sugar content that there is little concern for 100% pure finished maple syrup to spoil. Unlike other dairy and meat products, or fresh fruits and vegetables; harmful bacterial (like E. coli and Salmonella) are unable to survive. We complete 99% of the boiling outdoors over a wood-burning fire and finish the syrup inside on our propane-fueled kitchen stove to ensure we get it finished at the perfect temperature and density to be pure maple syrup. We boil it until it reaches 219 degrees Fahrenheit, and then continue to boil until it reaches the correct density for maple syrup – which is a minimum of 66% sugar – measured with a maple syrup hydrometer. We bottle the syrup while it is hot (between 180- and 195-degrees Fahrenheit) into bottles with wax sealing lids or canning jars as you would normally can fruits/vegetables. While you do not have to worry about the bacteria, there is a possibility for yeasts and molds to grow if the syrup is not finished and packaged properly at the end – so we take care with the bottling at the correct temperature and density.

As with any kitchen food-related project, we ensure the kitchen space and materials are clean and sanitized and that personal hygiene standards are met.

The 2021 Syrup Season is still under way for us – so far, we have made ~4 gallons of Maple Syrup. We still have about 2-weeks left in our Syrup Season this year. I have attached a photo of three bottles from the first batch of syrup that we made in 2021.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page