Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“Stewardship of the Earth is important to me because I want the earth to be healthy for the next generation. If the water becomes polluted from the litter, we can no longer use it for drinking or recreation. Animals may mistake the items of litter floating in the water as food and could choke on them or they may get entangled in it. Litter can be very dirty. Not only does it not look nice but, it may carry germs. In addition to the cost, litter-strewn roads have a negative impact on everyone. Litter spoils the view, degrades the environment, attracts vermin, and endangers people and wildlife. Litter has the potential to cause harm to human health, safety, welfare, as well as the environment. The harmful impact of litter includes trapping or poisoning animals, killing aquatic life directly through choking, and indirectly through its impact on water quality.

The city's overflowing waste causes air pollution and respiratory diseases. One of the outcomes of overflowing garbage is air pollution, which causes various respiratory diseases and other adverse health effects as contaminants are absorbed from the lungs into other parts of the body. Littering causes a threat to our health and can cause harmful germs and bacteria. Littering can cause fires and also sends a message that people really don't care about the Earth. Littering has a negative effect on everything. Animals get injured and swallow toxic things like oil and pesticides. So we need to keep our Earth clean.

It was good to know even more about what I can do to save our Earth. I was a Scout Master in the Boy Scouts, their motto was Be Prepared. One of the things we always did was, Leave no trace. Leave it better than you found it. I stand by that.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“For this badge I researched three types of canning.
1. Pressure canning is necessary to kill botulism in foods with a ph of 4.6 or above. It's good for vegetables. Need to heat to 212 degrees.
2. Water-bath canning is good for jams and jellies also needs to be boiled at 212 degrees until jars seal tight.
3. Atmospheric steam canning traps the steam inside and needs to be brought to 15 pounds above the sea level and can be used for almost everything.

This was an interesting badge it reminded me of my mom using a pressure canner to put up jars of vegetables and fruit.

In my closet I found Marinara sauce with olives which is pressure-canned. I also found pressure-canned jam which can be a water-bath process. Next I will try the water bath method for canning!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  09:59:07 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry herbs. I hung the rosemary up to dry outside. I put the basil in the oven for 2 hours on low. The parsley went into the microwave for a few minutes until dry. Then I put oregano and thyme outside to dry.

I made an Italian blend of parsley, oregano, thyme, basil and rosemary.

The spice blend turned out great. I used the blend in my dinner of baked chicken with the spice as a rub and seasoned the potatoes with the blend as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“For this project I made dried liver for my 14 year old Australian Shepard.
In working with raw meat, it's always good to have all of your supplies ahead of time. When you start to cut up the liver you don't want to be reaching in drawers for extra items.

1. Start with a clean surface
2. Cutting board one that is dishwasher safe.
3. Sharp knife, cookie sheet
4. Plastic gloves and have your hair tied back!

After cutting up the liver and putting it in the oven, you are ready to clean up.I put all items in the sink with 10 percent bleach and soap.

Wipe the counters down with vinegar or bleach.

Always extra precautions when working with raw meat.
Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly fo 20–30 seconds.

Well, the dog loves her liver treats. So I guess this project was a success! And my kitchen once again smells of bleach and vinegar.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“Keeping a journal of community service is a good way to track your endeavors. The three organizations that I like for community service is Meals On Wheels, Linus Project, and Rotary.

The one that I feel I can donate the most time to now is the Linus Project. I've made 5 blankets for this project. This is the objective of the Linus Project. "Project Linus is a national non-profit organization with a two-fold mission: First, to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets, lovingly created by volunteer "blanketeers."

This is a great project for the "quarantine time ". It is a chance to be indoors and make blankets for those in need. I like using flannel material and fleece. I feel the flannel is always so warm and cozy when make baby size quilts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I started my Community Service Journal. I did my research and different organizations that I can volunteer at. Oakley Senior Center, Brentwood Senior Center, and Brentwood Neighborhood Church. I chose the Oakley Senior Center. I Helped to unload the food truck. I organized the placement of where the food needs to be. I then handed out the food to about 150 people who came through the line. I helped to clean up after all the people had received their food. I did this 3 different times for a total of 10 hrs. I did my report on the Farmgirl Chapter of what I did. It came out good. I really love to help people out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I've been working at the Oakley Senior Center and did another 20 hrs. I talked to Connie—she is in charge of food desperation. The way they accept the volunteers is to talk to them and if they can come when they need them they are welcome to join the group of us. They need to listen to her and just do what she wanted them to do, not what they think they should. I have been tracking my progress in my journal. I got my food handlers license and my covid-19 food handlers license so they have someone else who has a license. Connie was very pleased I did that. I gave my report in the Farmgirl Connection chatroom on how it does help out the people.

I really enjoy helping out the community. But it is so sad to see some of them are so sad. I see it in their eyes. I put a picture of who helps at the Center. I am the one with the dark pink shirt on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I've been writing in my journal. I looked up five different needs that I could fill. Delivering food to people who can not leave their homes. Cooking meals for seniors and delivering them to them. Grocery shopping for seniors who can't get out. Cleaning homes for people who cannot do it for themself. Drive people to doctor appointments.

I did start a project with my organization where I and 4 others do home delivery of food to the people who cannot get out, or have small children. This is such a big success. I really enjoy doing this. I make 6 home deliveries a week and serve at the senior center 2 days a week. I put in 15 hours a week doing this. I did a total of 45 houses on this merit badge. I will continue this for a long time. This one of the things that I'm passionate about. I really love to help people. I spend time listening to them and don’t judge them at all. Some people just need to talk. I gave my report in the Merit Badge Chit Chat.

This was and is such a positive thing for me. With the covid-19, people need to be loved and cared about. If I can bring a little sunshine into their life, it is so worth it. I also am being blessed with helping out people. I am very passionate about this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read the book Blogging for Creatives. I chose my topic which was Crafting. I had started the blog a long time ago, so I went back to it and started to blog again. I have a bunch of teaching people how to make different things.

It was easy to do this only because I had already had started one. I am so glad that I started this merit badge, it's going to be fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I started to blog and added some pictures to the blog. I made it a pretty color purple; it's my favorite color. The name of my blog is Allies Krafty Krafters. I sent an email to be added to MaryJanesFarm's GirlGab.com.

I think it turned out good. I will enjoy blogging.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“I did 5 separate trash clean-ups. I took a bag and gloves every time I went for my walk by the creek. I even had some bags for my friend who went with me on the walks. We all picked up trash as we got some exercise and, of course, we wore our masks. We then took the trash to the park that had trash cans and we all disposed of the trash into the correct spots that they were supposed to be in.

Doing this made me feel so good about trying to keep our earth clean, protecting the animals from getting sick also keeping our water safe for the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“I did research on ways I can get involved in my community efforts to control littering.

1. Make sure your trash is secure. Newspapers, cans, and other light-weight waste materials can be easily picked up by the wind and scattered far away from the correct waste and recycling receptacles.
2. Participate in a community clean-up day.
3. Educate others.
4. Keep a litter bag in your vehicle.
5. Make good use of recycling bins.

I organized a 2-hour hike and clean up on the back trail in my area. I did it with my home daycare and my daughter. We had gloves and a trash bag each. We all had such a fun day.

I did my research on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Wow, it's so crazy this is what I found out. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is a collection of marine debris in the North Pacific Ocean. Marine debris is litter that ends up in oceans, seas, and other large bodies of water. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also known as the Pacific trash vortex, spans waters from the West Coast of North America to Japan. That the patches are almost entirely made up of tiny bits of plastic, called microplastics. Microplastics can't always be seen by the naked eye. Even satellite imagery doesn't show a giant patch of garbage. The microplastics of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch can simply make the water look like a cloudy soup. They are working on getting it cleaned up. It is going to take a long time. The Ocean Cleanup is developing a passive cleanup method, which uses the natural oceanic forces to rapidly and cost-effectively clean up the plastic already in the oceans. With a full fleet of cleanup systems in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, we aim to clean up 50% of its plastic every five years.

This was fun to do. I got my daycare involved and they really enjoyed doing the trash pick up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I have a lot of birds in my area. Here are just a few of them. Turkey Vulture, Rock Pigeon, California Quail, Great Egret, Mallard, Wild Turkey, Red-tailed Hawk, Ring-billed Gull, Steller's Jay. I would like to observe these birds in the wild.

It was fun doing the research to find out the different kinds of birds in my area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I made a birdhouse and a bird feeder. Then hung it in my backyard and filled it with food. I watched the bird for several days. I usually did it at 10 am everyday. I saw American Crows, Band-tailed Pigeon, Stellar jays, and California Thrasher. They are all so cute. The Steller's Jay was a little mean to my cats—they kept chasing my cat and they kept pecking him.

I think it went well. I had fun watching the birds and making the a feeder and a birdhouse.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I went on a bird-watching expedition with some friends. We all looked at the birds and identified them. We saw Canadian goose, pigeon, black sparrow, white-billed water bird, mallard duck, brown bird, red-winged blackbird, and Heron. We also did a trash pickup while we were there.

I had such a fun time. I think it turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“These are 7 different herbs and what they are used for.
1. Rosemary: Mosquito Deterrent and Hair Rinse.
2. Lemon Balm: Fatigue Treatment.
3. Marjoram: Builds Strong Bones.
4. Oregano: Fights the Common Cold.
5. Peppermint: Headache Soother.
6. Basil: Anti-Bacterial and Acne Treatment.
7. Fennel: Breath Freshener.

This is so fun to learn what the herbs are used for.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I started my herb garden and harvested the Chives and the wheatgrass used them in a salad. I also grew Aloe Vera used it on my hands with my hand lotion. I used lavender by crushing it and putting it in a bowl in my bathroom to help my family sleep better.

I was good. The wheatgrass was ok tasting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I had several burned out fluorescent bulbs I didn't know what to do with. It didn't seem right to throw them in the garbage can. I called my county's hazmat unit and they directed me to the local hardware.

My local hardware store has several containers available for recyclables. I cleaned out my garage of all the things I wasn't aware I could recycle: flourescent bulbs, batteries, paint.

I have so much room in my garage now, I can get paint I actually like!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“Did you know avocados, bananas, and chick peas freeze up beautifully? I didn't until the handy-dandy lockdown of 2020 occurred.

Avocados - Remove skin & pit. Throw the meat of the avocado into a mixer and beat until smooth. I use a reusable product called SouperCubes. (https://www.soupercubes.com/)
Fill SouperCube with avocado and put in freezer. When avocado is needed, I pop out a usable amount, thaw and add to my recipe.

Bananas - Same as above

Chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) - I turn chick peas into hummus before freezing. Once my hummus is ready, using SouperCubes, I freeze. When hummus is needed for my future recipes, I only pop out what I need and the rest goes back into the freezer.

I will never, never, never be the same again. I will never become complacent and I will always be improving my life skills to care for hearth & home.

I don't have a large spread of land but I'll grow my garden in dixie cups if I have to. In my home state of California, we're still locked down.

Sorry, enough blathering. My point is, Calif is the breadbasket of produce for the rest of the world. I've never really thought about freezing, canning, dehydrating produce before 2020 because fruit stands and farmers markets are everywhere. And then 2020 happened.

What has emerged from 2020 is the new and improved me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“Living near the Pacific Ocean, I feel obligated to keep my corner of the world tidy. I keep bags in the jeep to use to pick up trash while strolling on the beach.

Another thing I discovered recently—my local hardware store recycles old paint and fluorescent bulbs.

A tidy home is a happy, healthy home. My home doesn't stop at the 4 walls. It's important to deal with the waste and hazardous materials we create in a responsible manner to keep waste away from wildlife, of off our roadways, and away from our water sources to be good stewards of our environment. My goal in life is to leave only goodness in my wake. Wherever I travel, that is my home, therefore, I leave it better than I found it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“I'm the newsletter editor for my quilt guild. Every year, I head up the annual food drive. Having approximately 150 on my subscribers list, I'm able to amass large quantities of food for my local food bank.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I'm having so much fun in the kitchen since covid lockdown. I'm almost entirely "by scratch".

I wanted to know how to make pesto. I sourced a recipe, collected the ingredients and gave it a shot.

Well, if I can make pesto, then surely I could make cilantro paste.

Nothing tastes better than homemade pesto and cilantro paste!

Tonight, I made lime/cilantro rice with PF Chang's spicy chicken. Tomorrow night, I'll be making zucchini noodle pesto with chicken. There is nothing better than making dinner for my family from scratch using only fresh ingredients.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“Since my love language is acts of service, community service is just part of my DNA and just comes natural for me. I'm constantly researching ways to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

The 5 community needs I've identified in my community are:
1. Veterans (especially those suffering from PTSD)
2. Food for families in need
3. Elderly needing well checks
4. Neighborhood patrol (especially for absent neighbors)
5. Bringing business opportunities to my struggling downtown businesses

I've been participating in filling these needs in these ways:
1. I am heavily involved with the Quilts of Valor foundation
2. During the holidays, I participate in food drives
3. I have many elderly in my quilt guild. As a quilt guild member, it is my responsibility to make sure my quilting siblings are well taken care of
4. I am the designated neighborhood watch sheepdog. I make sure my neighborhood looks "lived in". If newspapers or mail piles up, I'm on it. If excessive water is flowing from a neighbor's yard, I'm on it. I'm always patrolling and watching.
5. I started a new quilters group in my little town. Before covid lockdowns, I was going to teach how to paint barn quilts. About 30 people signed up for my class. My goal is to put my county (San Luis Obispo) on the barn quilt trail map.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  1:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“My hubby is the expert knife sharpener. He normally sharpens my big knife. One day I noticed my little paring knives were becoming dull and harder to handle. I ask him to teach me to sharpen the knives.

Oh boy! I don't know why I waited this long to learn knife sharpening. Now that I know this useful life skill, I have sharpened my sewing scissors, paring knives, and even my leatherman. I will never tolerate another dull cutting instrument again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I was amazed at the many different types of meditation. I specifically read about mindfulness meditation, spiritual meditation, focused meditation, movement meditation, mantra meditation, transcendental meditation, progressive relaxation, loving-kindness meditation, and walking meditation. I also re-read Dr. Laura Koniver's articles on the benefits of grounding as a form of meditation. She discusses how it can treat major issues such as chronic pain & inflammation, insomnia and emotional changes.

For the first 7 days of my meditation journey, I mainly chose to do some guided meditations on spotify. I could do this while listening to the birds and cicadas outside. I also did a daily spiritual meditation and have started getting back into reading a daily devotion. On one of the days, we did a mantra meditation at the end of our yoga class. We did about 10 minutes of shavasana and included the mantras "I am enough" & " I own my happiness". I am enjoying experimenting with a daily meditation practice.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page