Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2021 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I'm continuing to replace my products as I use them up. I made soap and bath salts and they all smell so good. I only used organic ingredients. The bath salts smelled so good, my husband even liked taking a bath with them.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2021 :  5:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I made body lotion and shower gel. I'm working on replacing my products with organic products so I can make healthy, natural choices. I made a gift basket for a friend with bath salts, shower gel, and natural sponges. I love how my gift basket came out.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I researched the benefits of meditation on the brain and body.
Brain: Improve focus through meditation. Helps boost memory and mental clarity, may help fight age related memory loss and dementia.
Body: Relaxation response from meditation helps decrease metabolism, lowers blood pressure, improves heart rate, breathing, and brain waves.

I added 5 minutes of extra meditation every day from 1/28/21-2/3/2021.

I saw a benefit after the 3rd day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I made an Apple pie dessert, then I made fresh Apple cider. For my dinner, I had pork chops with Apple honey cinnamon glaze, Apple wedges Apple sauce Apple juice, rice and the dessert Apple pie. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I chose to complete the 2nd activity for the Expert level. The varieties that work best in my area are Empire, Fuji, Gala, Golden delicious, Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Macoun, McIntosh, Pippin, Jonagold.

When to plant in my area would be late Winter early Spring, but you can really plant all year.
How to care for trees: Prune yearly when dormant. Pest control, think pollinating bees and butterflies, full sun and Northern exposures, well draining soil. Ph soil of 5.5-7.0, and add mulch.
I planted a tree that has 4 grafts: Fuji, Bradbury, Granny Smith, Honey Crisp. This badge was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“Stewardship is important to me so that we can ensure the long term care of the earth for future generations.

It is important to keep our environment free of litter because litter is bad for the environment, animals, birds and water sources. Litter becomes carriers of disease.

Adverse effects on 3 areas
Roads: Litter causes accidents as people try to avoid hitting the litter.
Nature: Litter contributes to fire hazards and attracts pests.
Waterways: Litter has an impact on water quality and is a choking hazard for aquatic wildlife.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I went to the zero-waste living websites and read a few articles. I was especially interested in the composting articles since I'm starting that shortly with the spring gardening coming up. Finding out what a waste audit is, the goal is to be zero waste and to eliminate trash. You do an audit on your trash, recyclables, and compostables.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I performed a waste audit to see what areas we produced the most waste. I found that we do a lot of paper garbage from sale ads, envelopes and mailers.

Three significant things I learned about our habits: We are good at recycling cans and bottles. We are good about minimal garbage. We are good about not creating a lot of waste.

It surprised me when I weighed our day's garbage it was 0.0. (See photo) The average person has 4.0 pounds per day, and with two people ,we're registering 0.0 on the scale. One thing we could improve on is composting our kitchen food scraps. We did great. It was interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I've started to regrow my kitchen scraps (potatoes and onion photo). I'm repurposing my egg carton to start my spring seed germination. I have compost piles on the ranch for animal manure (compost photo). I did my research on why compost smells, Compost with too little aeration smells. Turn the compost pile to get air in and stop the smell. Add dry leaves and grass to keep the compost pile from compacting. This is something I can do when we add a third compost pile area to our garden area this spring. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked my house for faucet tap leaks and we are fine. One thing I noticed is when you flush the toilet, make sure to jiggle the handle, or it can do a slow water leak into the toilet water storage tank.
Researching ways to conserve water:
Turn off the water in between brushing your teeth or washing your hands.

When rinsing fruits and vegetables, save the rinse water to water your house and outdoor plants.

Save water in containers while waiting for the water to heat up for a shower.

Take shorter showers - 5 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

Run full loads in the dishwasher and laundry washer.

Water gardens and lawns only when needed and in the evening when it's cool and will be dark for the night to avoid evaporation.

Limit the amount of time you water outdoors or put in timers.

Buy efficient toilets and appliances (laundry washers and dishwashers).

Use native plants and drought resistant plants in your yards.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched the concept of gray water, how to collect it and what you can use it for. Gray water is wastewater without faecal matter. For example what you have after your showers, your baths using your washing machines and your dishwasher's. You can use gray water to water your outside plants.

Then I made my rain barrel system; there's a photo attached. We expect 4 days of rain later in the week, so we will see how much we collect in the barrel.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I built a birdhouse and a feeder. I waited inside the house, there are birds on the property, but they have not found the house and feeder. It turned out nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“The breed I chose to research is the Gypsy Vanner Horse. Originally bred in Great Britain by gypsies to pull caravans, it came to North America in 1996 there is a Gypsy Vanner Horse Society for the breed registry and the genetics come from Clydesdale, Shire, and British ponies to make a smaller, people-sized draft horse. Main characteristics are their flowing mane, tail and feathers below the knees down to the hocks. They are used in all disciplines. I read the book Soul of a Horse and visited the website of Joe Camp. It was a good read and I recommend the book. I liked it very much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I spent time in the kitchen getting organized. I pulled out all my plastic containers with lids, found a few extra lids to recycle. We used to do a lot of foil and saran wrap over bowls to store food, or ziplock baggies. Now we are trying to use our plastic Tupperware or the re-usable vacuum sealing bag machine we bought to be more eco-friendly. It was good to sort through the kitchen cupboards.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I have pretty much everything I need in the kitchen, and some multiples. I cannot part with Grandma's mixing bowls. We got new pots and pans for Christmas. Recently, we bought new rubber spatulas.

This week, I bought wooden toaster tongs for getting that one piece that gets stuck in a hot toaster so you don't burn your fingers. Next, I should buy some new kitchen dish towels, that would be the one thing to add to my list for now.

I had fun thinking of what I might need for the kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I sharpen my knives each time before I use them. I do the old school file. I use the old knife block file. We also have the newer knife sharpener where you draw the knife through it and it can also do your scissors but I still use the old file because that's the way I prefer to sharpen knives. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  3:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I continued to replace my products with healthy natural products. For beginner I did bath salt so this time I changed to a different version by making bath bombs, see photos. It was easy. I tested my product and it worked.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“A farmgirl's best friend ... mine was my Australian Shepard "Wilson". We always had dogs and a lot of cats growing up, but Wilson was my favorite pet. He was my seventh dog, and he was 14 years old when he passed. Wilson was such a loving dog always my shadow ... I still have his mate Lacey. She also is an Australian Shepard. When I no longer have Lacey, I will defiantly get an another Australian, they are a good obedience, agility, and sheep herding breed—a farm girls right-hand mate.

When you lose a favorite pet it's always difficult. I was very glad to have such a wonderful dog. I've had many animals and you get attached to them all but some hold a special place in your heart.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Relaxation ... this can be difficult in this time of Covid. For my relaxation, I take time usually around 3 pm in the afternoon, I know stress can play havoc on the mind and body. I've followed Dr Weill's suggestions on healthy eating and taking time for deep breathing.

I find it is important to take the time even when thing are crazy around you. This why I take my 3 o'clock break to take the time to regroup and get re-energized to finish the day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I did the wild yeast mother stated in MaryJane's book, Wild Bread. When the mother was ready, I tried the beginner bread. Then onto the refrigerator mother to make the Bara brith bread. I registered on the WildBread site and introduced myself and shared my experience. The Bara Brith bread was one of my favorite breads. It turned out great. I loved the use of using tea as one of the ingredients. This is one bread that I will certainly make again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“What a fun badge. I enjoyed the encouragement to clean out my storage container box. I always think I'll be using all the plastic containers that I save. Well, it was time to clean and organize.

I love when I finally take the time to do the little things that make a big difference. I finally matched all the tops and bottoms of all the plastic ware and glass jars. The plastic and glass went into the recycle cans and I was left with a clean container box.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“Well this was a little difficult for me since I live in an area that you can find almost every type of ethnic food.

I've tried Sushi, Dim Sum, Vietnamese, Pilipino, Mexican, French, Greek, Taiwanese, Italian and Indian and many more. So I looked for something unusual so I am going to try a Fijian fish dish and Lolo buns.

The Fijian diet consists of fresh fish, seaweed or shellfish and crustaceans combined with green leafy vegetables and coconuts. The American diet has a lot of most meats, vegetables and dairy foods.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I made a Fijian Coconut Fish over rice with Lolo balls which is like a sweet dumpling.

This was fun because I've never cooked with lemongrass and coconut milk. The Coconut fish was made with lemongrass, lemon juice, fish sauce, tomatoes, and basil in a coconut milk sauce. The Lolo balls were made out of flour, brown sugar and active yeast, cooked in coconut milk. We really enjoyed experiencing something new and it turned out great. I've never been to Fiji but now it might be on my list of places to go!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“I learned cocoa beans were discovered in South American rain forests where the humid and tropical climate mixed with elevated rainfall created the perfect place for cocoa trees to grow. I learned how to temper the chocolate. It's easy to do. Just make sure you don't heat it past 115 degrees, or let water get in the chocolate. I used tempered chocolate to make candy cane hearts, and chocolate coved spoons for hot cocoa, they turned out so good. I made brownies cut into circles and decorated them to look like ladybugs.

I loved how the brownies came out. The chocolate covered spoons made really good hot cocoa.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I contacted my local power company and found how my power is generated. It's a blend of gas, wind, and solar. I did my comparison and contrast of different methods of energy production. This was not so easy. I looked up how natural gas, hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, and sustainable energy are different. All of these different sources of energy are used primarily to produce electricity. So-called dirty fuels, such as coal, are bad for the animals or plants, and are not good for the environment. Hydroelectric is not bad though. Hydropower comes from flowing water. However, facilities can have large environmental impacts by changing the environment and affecting land use, homes, and natural habitats in the dam area. The only good choice I think is solar energy from the sun, wind energy, and geothermal energy, which utilizes the heat inside the earth. Other alternative energy sources include ocean energy in the form of wave, tidal, or current energy, ocean thermal energy, and biomass from plants.

I learned so much and am very happy I did this merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page