Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“I looked at all my jewelry and decided my style is motion and movement—things that attract the eye, bling and glitter, and jewel tone colors.

I all ready had jewelry making supplies, so I checked to make sure I had what I needed for projects. I keep my supplies in a small tackle box. It was good to look through everything.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I made a pencil drawing of the Merit Badge planner cover. Eyes and noses are hard.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I made 4 water color botanicals. I walked around 2 towns and took photos of sculptures, paintings and mosaics. It was nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Macrame Merit Badge!

“I researched the 10 different kinds of macrame knots and watched YouTube videos on how to do the knots which are: larks head, square, alternating square, spiral, double half hitch right, double half hitch left, double half hitch diagonal, horizontal larks head, Josephine knot, and alternating halfhitch. Then I made a key chain.

Knots can be hard, you have to watch as you tighten to make sure it is in the right position and does not flip on you.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I started collecting horse brasses in 2020. They are mainly made in England out of brass. The history is pre-Roman from the 4th to 1st century BC, made out of bronze they started making them in England in 1559 are used for embellishment and parades on usually draft horses and they were originally to Ward off evil. The main club is the National Horse Brass Society. I like them, so I collect them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I'm attaching a photo of my research. Wax types are: paraffin, beeswax, soy wax, coconut wax, palm wax, gel wax. For candle scent use 10-15 drops per one pound of wax. You can use commercial scents, fragrance oils, essential oils, natural sources. For color a dye will color throughout, a pigment is used to color the outside of a candle. Excited to start candlemaking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Nichelle Miyakoshi (nne9703721, #8159) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched birds in my area using my bird book, a copy of Stokes Beginner’s Guide to Birds, Western Region, by Donald and Lillian Stokes, that I received as a gift one year.

Here is my bird wish list:
a. American Goldfinch
b. Purple Finch
c. Rufous Hummingbird
d. Cedar Waxwing
e. American Kestrel
f. California Quail
g. Barn Owl

I started reading my bird book as soon as I got it in 2017. I started identifying birds soon after. Several birds visit the bird feeders on my balcony on a regular basis: Black-capped Chickadee, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Dark-eyed Junko, Steller’s Jay, and Downy Woodpecker. In winter, I see Ruby-Crowned Kinglets. On occasion, I see Piliated Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers.

I compiled my list on 01/01/2021 based on birds I’m curious about but haven’t seen yet. There are lots more birds I would like to see in my area, but these are just the first ones on my list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“Growing up on a farm, we had lots of pets throughout the duration of my childhood. We had chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, poddy calves, dogs, minnows, goldfish, a turtle, a budgerigar, and several orphaned joeys. There were always lots of animals around and we would often have chores which would involve feeding, watering and generally nurturing these little creatures.

When I left home and started travelling the world, I never had a pet of my own and yet I often longed for the company of a pet. It wasn't until 6 years ago that my husband and I decided to get a dog. Prior to this time, we would be travelling so much that it made it difficult to have a pet. Settled on our place in Ravensbourne, we decided the time was right and P.J came into our lives. P.J was a kelpie dog - she actually belonged to my parents elderly neighbour (Don), but sadly he developed dementia and was admitted to a retirement village which left P.J with no home. We took her in and she immediately made herself part of the family. Don had trained her very well and she was a fast learner of new tricks. She encouraged us to go walking more often around our local area. She came running with me on the trails around our house. She loved her toys and would chase a ball for hours. The thing I liked most about her was that she was always there to greet you when you arrived home. I could have had a rotten day at work, and yet seeing her run out as I drove in the gateway, always brought a smile to my face. She had so much unconditional love to give. Sadly, P.J passed away in June last year and it absolutely broke our hearts to say goodbye to her. We still miss her so much. When the time is right, we may get another dog. The kelpie breed makes such a great pet. They are such a loyal breed, devoted to their family. They have so much love to give. I have shared a photo of P.J.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“ I offered to take care of our friend's cat (Thomas) and their chickens while they were away over the Christmas period for 4 days. I visited their house every day to feed & cuddle Thomas, feed & water the chickens and collect the eggs. I also tended to their vegetable garden, watering plants and picking excess produce. Fortunately, I did not have to clean a litter box because Thomas is trained to go to the toilet outside. My friends live about a mile down the road from our house and they are situated on 50 acres, so Thomas has plenty of space & is trained to come in and out of the pet door.

After caring for Thomas and the chickens for 4 days, I still maintain that I am a "dog person". While Thomas would come for a cuddle, it was always on his terms and he seemed more temperamental than any dog I have known. If he wasn't interested in affection, then he would simply disappear. I understand this may have been because he wasn't as familiar with me as he is with his owners, but I feel that dogs are more loyal to their owners. Dogs are also easier to exercise with (running, walking). I really enjoyed the times I had running on our local trails with our dog, P.J. We are fortunate in that we only live about 1 1/2 hours from my parents and they are still on the family farm, so they were always willing to look after P.J when we were away and she got along really well with their dog too.

I still love having chickens as pets. They are so easy to look after. We have a chicken tractor for them which means we are able to move their pen around to fresh grass on a regular basis. We are even able to leave enough food and water with them to last several days if we are away. Our neighbour is always willing to come and check on them if we are away for any longer periods. The bonus is that they give us nice fresh eggs every day.

There's something uncomplicated and wonderfully straightforward about the love of—and for—an animal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I chose to research Turia Pitt. She is such an inspirational person here in Australia, and she is definitely powerful/influential as a motivationalist & ambassador for Interplast.

I have just finished reading the autobiography “Unmasked” by Turia Pitt. This is the second book I have read about her, the first being “Everything to Live For”. Turia Pitt is a humanitarian, athlete, best-selling author, motivationalist and burns survivor. Turia was named the NSW Premier’s Woman of the Year in 2014 and was a finalist in 2017 for Australian of the Year. She is a judge for the Australian Woman of the Future Fund, as well as being an ambassador for the charity Interplast.

Born in Tahiti before migrating to Australia at age three, Turia went on to earn her double degree with honours in Mining Engineering and Science from the University of New South Wales.
Turia was working for Rio Tinto at their prestigious Argyle Diamond Mine when life was turned upside down in September 2011. While competing in an ultra-marathon in the Kimberley region, she became trapped by a grassfire that left her with serious burns to 65% of her body. She was evacuated and eventually sent to Concord Hospital in Sydney. Her surgeons desperately needed skin to cover her, but there was none in Australia. So they turned to America, where a life-saving shipment of skin was quickly sent. Turia soon began the painful journey of recovery and rehabilitation. Although the journey continues to this day, she doesn’t shy away from a challenge.

Since the fire, Turia has embarked on numerous challenges such as competing in Iron Man events (including the upcoming World Championship), studying for her MBA, trekking Peru, the Great Wall of China and the Kokoda Track (PNG), lead a trek for Interplast to Everest Basecamp. She published her memoirs in 2013, has graced numerous pages of magazines, runs a successful motivational speaking business and gives passionately and selflessly to causes she cares about. In her capacity as ambassador, Turia supports Interplast by personally hosting events, speaking, and leading fundraising adventures. Through this work, along with her support for other Interplast fundraising initiatives, Turia has directly and indirectly contributed to more than $1 million being raised to support our work.

She works as a motivational speaker and mind coach—inspiring thousands of people in Australia to make positive changes in their life and achieve their biggest goals. Her School of Champions 7-week program provides anyone with the tools and resources they need to set and reach any goal they want to achieve, whether it’s to lose weight, change careers, quit smoking or even run a marathon. Anything is possible once you understand the psychology behind the goal-setting process.

Turia says “sometimes I think it’s weird – the fact that I am well known because of a random accident. A few seconds of my life that have changed everything. But then I don’t think I am famous because I was burned but rather because of what I have done since. I am famous because of my resilience, my optimism and my attitude."”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (angelnurse, #6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“This is my very first apron I've made. I found this kit and sewed it up. I love it. My apron was so fun to sew and I love the way it turned out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (angelnurse, #6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I found this online stitch a along through the Crochet Crowd and fell in love with the pattern. I wanted to try crocheting this round shape. I was very excited about learning how to crochet the ruffle. I enjoyed every minute and every stitch.

My round afghan turned out beautiful. The colors I picked went great together. I have it on my bed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“Gang activity was beginning to take hold in my community. I contacted the gang task force, neighborhood preservation, & teen challenge.

Gang task force, neighborhood preservation, & teen challenge all agreed to meet with me. We explored some ideas that I had.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“While working alongside the gang task force, I began volunteering for neighborhood preservation reporting on graffiti throughout my community. In the process, I recruited others and had a team of 10+ volunteers to make our community safer.

We were able to reduce gang crime. I was able to inform my community of what gang affiliation looks like (ie logos, colors, etc).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“Gang activity in my community is near & dear to my heart. Therefore, I arranged a community meeting to educate parents & neighbors about the gang activity in each neighborhood. The police gang task force was willing to speak at the meeting I arranged. They sent 2 officers. I also invited Teen Challenge to bring an ex-gang member to the meeting. The local newspaper & news channel also came to the meeting.

About 100 people arrived at the community meeting. It was very informative. Having the ex-gang member there was very enlightening as people were able to ask questions on how gangs recruit kids into gangs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“This badge is a delight to work on because I hate everything about plastic bags. The plastic shopping bags I do have, I cut them into sheets to wrap my paint brushes in when I'm chalk painting. Instead of cleaning up while the paint is drying, I wrap the wet brushes in plastic. The brush is already wet w/paint when the 2nd coat needs to go on.

Since I'm a quilter by trade, I have an excessive amount of scrap fabric. I recycle/reuse all those scraps into some hardworking shopping bags. While out & about, I am often complimented on the bags. It's not unusual for me to pay it forward by giving a bag to a perfect stranger. Makes their day brighter and I just took one more plastic bag out of circulation. I guarantee my new friend will be using their new bag w/pride.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made four snow pea trellises using compostable 100% cotton yarn. When the snow peas stop producing, I just snip the yarn and throw the whole thing into the compost.

I also made four tomato cage obelisks using finials I sourced through multiple thrift stores.

Both the trellises & obelisks turned out better than I was expecting considering this was my first attempt at any kind of woodwork.

I'll probably need to make more tomato cage obelisk because I just couldn't wait to set them up with tomatoes. I planted sweet pea seeds around them. I'm getting a patriotic start to my year by mixing three colors/sizes of sweet pea seeds: red, white & blue. By spring, my yard will smell heavenly, whistling in every bee/butterfly around, and reminding everyone that walks past my home that America is beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“Oh My Golly! This probably my greatest achievement during the train wreck of 2020. With constant lockdown in California, I used the opportunity to learn more self-sufficient ways to shelter-in-place with comfort & style.

Hubby drew up plans for raised bed planters. I took the measurements to my local mom & pop hardware store. They cut the boards (mainly so I could fit them in my JEEP).

Hubby & I popped the raised beds together in 1 day. Even was able to teach our son the business end of power driver. While hubby & I created 2 of the beds, I unleashed my son to create bed #3.

How did it turn out? Well, a picture is worth a 1,000 words (see attached). Of course I couldn't just stop at bare wood. I had to pretty them up. As a quilter, I never miss the chance to color my world with patterns & textures. I planted my chard in a 9-patch. Quilter's humor (giggle, giggle).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary Sissions (BeachGirlLakeGal, #8082) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved buttons. I used to get my mom's and my grandma's button jars and dump the contents on the floor to examine and sort. I have been collecting and saving buttons my entire adult life and have several hundred.

I recently went through all my buttons, took any out of the envelopes they came in, and then, found a pretty box that I could up cycle for button storage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Judy Curtis (Judy Curtis, #7789) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I read the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights & Amendments book. I then answered the following questions:

What is the supreme law of the land? The supreme law of the land is found in Article VI of the Constitution. The Constitution, and the Laws of the United States, which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supplement Law of the Land.

What does the Constitution do? The Constitution creates a national government consisting of three branches: legislative, executive and judicial branch. The Constitution established check and balances amongst the three branches of government. The Constitution further divides power between the federal government and the states.

The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are they? We The People

What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution? Bill of Rights

Name two rights or two freedoms listed in the First Amendment (five are possible). Free Exercise of Religion and Freedom of Speech

What did the Declaration of Independence do? Announce the independence of the United Colonies; Absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown and all political connection between its colonies and the State of Britain. As a free and independent states, the United States of America have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent States may do.

Name two rights in the Declaration of Independence (three are possible). Life and Liberty

What is freedom of religion? The right to practice whatever religion a citizen chooses to have.

What is the economic system in the United States? Capitalistic System

What is the “rule of law”? The Constitution and any law (statutes) passed that conform to the Constitution.

This was a good refresher exercise, and relevant to events recently occurring in the United States.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Judy Curtis (Judy Curtis, #7789) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I ordered and read the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and Amendments. I then answered the following questions:

Name the three branches of government. Executive, Judicial and Legislative

What keeps one branch of government from becoming too powerful? The Constitution provides for checks and balances amongst the three branches of government.

Who is in charge of the executive branch? The President of the United States

Who makes the federal laws? The legislative branch.

What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? Senate and House of Representative

How many U.S. Senators are there? 100 or two per state

Name one of your state’s U.S. Senators and one of your state’s U.S. Representatives. Kansas Senators are Roger Marshall and Jerry Moran. Jake LaTurner is the U.S. Representative for my district within Kansas.

What is the term of a U.S. Senator? Six years

What is the term of a U.S. Representative? Two years

What is the term of the President? Four years; A President is prohibited by Amendment XXII of the Constitution from servicing more than two terms, and if he has acted as President for more than two years in a term to which some other person was elected President shall only be elected to the office of the President more than one.

Who is the Commander in Chief of the military? The President of the United States

Who signs bills to become laws? The President of the United States

I believe this research project turned out great. The merit badge project is relevant given the events going on in the United States.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Judy Curtis (Judy Curtis, #7789) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I purchased and read a book on the U.S.Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Amendments. In the case of one question, I did my research online, since I only found Amendment X on state powers.

Who vetoes bills? The President of the United States

What does the judicial branch do? Reviews laws; explains laws; resolves disputes (disagreements); and decides if a law goes against the Constitution

What is the highest court in the United States? United States Supreme Court

How many justices are on the Supreme Court? Nine

Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now? John Roberts

Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the federal government. Name two (four are possible). To print (coin) money and to declare war

Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the states. Name two (five are possible). Police/Firefighters; drivers licenses; education

Who is the Governor of your state now? Laura Kelly

What is the capital of your state? Topeka, the city where I live.

What are the two major political parties in the United States? Democrat and Republican

What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? Nancy Pelosi

I struggled answering the question on the powers under the Constitution that are given solely to states. This was appropriate timing on this merit badge given what is going on in the United States in January.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Judy Curtis (Judy Curtis, #7789) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I retired July 1, 2020, with a goal of “having “a summer, and enjoy working in my yard. For the prior 26 years, I worked many hours in the office with fiscal year-end, annual financial reports due and the submission of budgets during the summer months. Another goal was to assist my husband in our garage door business, which has been fun and we have an awesome time working together.

With winter approaching, I was looking for indoor projects. Thus, I decided to give crochet a try, since I had not crocheted since high school (40+ years earlier). I really loved the Farmgirl Rag Yarn Scarf in the MaryJane’s Stitching Room book, so thought this would be my first project. However, I found it difficult to locate the Schulana Zigane yarn locally or online, so decided to find another project.

A good friend of mine loves to crochet, so she does it probably six hours a day. I saw a basket that Fran crocheted, so asked her if she would teach me how to crochet a basket, which she agreed. I could not comprehend, when Fran told we would use three skeins of yarn at one time for my project; therefore, I needed to purchase nine skeins. She did not tell me how large each skein needed to be.

Therefore, I started searching the internet for a basket project that I thought I could handle. I located #meganmakesdo.com - A Simple Crochet Basket-Free Crochet Pattern. I then shared the website with Fran, who agreed to using this pattern. We met at my home on November 9, 2020 to start working on our baskets. We visited as she taught me a magic loop, single chain and a slip stitch. We completed the first ten rows to the basket or the bottom, before she headed home. We agreed that I would text her with any issues that I had, and send her pictures as my basket progressed.

I was 2/3 of way with my basket, when I started crocheting in a different room in our home that had better lighting. As I looked at my partially completed basket, I remembered my home economics high school economic teach, Mrs. Searcy. I did not believe she would be impressed with my basket. Next, my philosophy—if you are going to do something, you need to do it to the best of your ability. As a result, I ripped out the sides of my basket, and started over, since I had inconsistent tension in my stitches, and an inaccurate stitch count on my rows. I had gained ten extra stitches on each row, since I did not move from one row to the next correctly. I made sure to count my stitches on each row to make sure that I maintained 108 stitches. I completed my first basket twenty days later, after reviewing Meghan’s video, other YouTube videos online of different types of crochet stitches and consulting with Fran. I used the half double crochet stitch to make the handles and learned to fasten off and weave in the ends of my yarn. Around Christmas, I decided to make a second basket so that I used my remaining yarn. I completed this basket over a three day period.

I believe my second basket turned out much better than my first one. I now have great storage for my craft supplies. In addition, I know why I hadn’t crochet in over forty years. I simply did not enjoy crocheting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I realized I didn't have a good apron for the kitchen at my parents for Christmas. I made a short apron just for the kitchen at my parents. I was able to use up some fabric mom got given that couldn't be used for quilts. I made pocket for my phone and a towel holder loop. I thought the pattern was too large and didn't really want to fuss with it more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a long apron. While I was choosing fabric for the short apron I needed, I found some double width and thicker duck. I decided to make the long one out of that. Since I didn't like the first pattern, I just winged it on this one. I serged this one as well but it took way more time because while it goes all the way around me, I had to serge then turnover neckline and arms. I still have a pocket for my phone but instead of a loop, added a large pocket to hold tools when needed.

It fits much better then the first! I forgot I hadn't taken pictures of it before I used it on a new project. I like the thickness of the duck because for a small or easy project, I don't have to change into paint clothes. Another added benefit was the cross over in back, apparently I need apron coverage there as well when painting!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page