Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  4:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"Ok, this is where MJF has really changed my life! I didn't think I could do this, but am so glad I did. At the grocery store in February, I remembered seeing this merit badge and started with organic...onions! (Yes, onions!) But they tasted, lasted, and looked better than conventional ones. The following weeks I added more things organic instead of our usual staples, including tomatoes, lettuce, milk, fruit, (apples are soo much better, the peels aren't bitter on the organic ones), then breads, eggs, meats. We even bought the beef MaryJane recommends, and will be hard pressed to eat any non-organic hot dogs or beef again! Whenever we run out of something, we are trying hard to replace it with an organic counterpart.

This is a lifestyle change for us. We feel better and have more energy. We have learned to read labels on EVERYTHING, including our body lotions, deodorant, etc. We are also on a budget, but if one looks for things on special, you can get organic products and still stay on budget. For example, I got organic ketchup this week for $1.00 - cheaper than the "conventional" one because it was on sale!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected more than 50 different buttons.

I also inherited a tin full of my Grandmother's buttons. I went through my mother's sewing machine drawers and found some older ones too. I asked friends and family for any buttons they wanted to give to me and my kids. The younger girls are still collecting buttons for their own collection."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a bracelet and a set of earrings with buttons and jump rings.

I already had the jewelry tools so this was easier than I thought it would be. I loved this project so much that I am continuing to move on to expert level, and research the buttons I have from my grandmother. I love wearing my jewelry and will help the girls make their own jewelry."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My daughter and I are getting ready to move back to Washington and need to be able to take our craft on the road. This was the perfect chance for us to throw together a road worthy sewing kit. We went out and picked up a pencil box that could take the wear and tear, found some small sharp scissors (you can never have to many scissors), poked through the local second hand shop for some small spools of thread and buttons (and a bonus of needles). We then went home and took a Vermints (wonderful organic mints) tin and filled it with straight pins, then collected all the safety pins we could find (three stringers worth) and put it all in our box. Since the traditional tomato was not going to fit in our box, I tried my hand at replicating a pin and needle keeper that my mother had given me many years ago. My daughter chose pink fabric and I knocked it out in about 2 hrs. It's not as easy as it looks.

All in all, our portable sewing kit turned out pretty darn nice. We are going to put it in the car with our emergency road kit. After all, a farmgirl never knows when she is going to blow her britches fixing a blown tire."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I had some time to kill before I had to be at work, so I stopped by my local quilting shop (I don't smoke, so I make up for it by getting fabric and thread) and found the most wonderful pansy quilt fabric. I decided that it really needed to be an apron, so I adopted a couple of yards, and some thread, and some needles, and other assorted "can't live without" things..... I remembered that wonderful apron on the front of the first magazine I picked up, so I proceeded to replicate it. (I have a pretty good spatial perception, makes my mother crazy) It took me about 4 hrs from start to finish. It's difficult to sew with a 5 yr old in your lap.

The apron turned out fabulous! My daughter immediately adopted it and was horribly put out when I told her it was mine and that she would have to wear the beautiful one her aunt had made her. I almost always wear aprons when cooking, and have a tool apron I wear when making repairs around the house. They are better than jeans when you need a napkin. Time to go break in a new apron and make a wonderful smoked salmon, dill, and cheddar quiche for this upcoming week."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Tracey Riddell (Marmee, #1471) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased several reusable shopping bags. Two fold up into small pouches which hang on my purse, so I don't need to worry about forgetting my bags at home or leaving them in the car. I sometimes forget to tell the cashier that I do not need a bag, but even if he or she has already begun putting my items in a bag, I apologize and tell them I brought my own. They usually are very accommodating and simply remove the items from their plastic bag and put them into my reusable bag.

It's been wonderful!! I wish I would have done it sooner. I'm going to give reusable bags as gifts to friends and family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have discovered many good recipes for cleaning products on the MaryJane's Farm website and in the widely available “green” living books I've been able to find at the library. Some of my favorite cleaning products are made from vinegar and baking soda, both very inexpensive but effective.

I make window cleaner with 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water mixed together in a spray bottle with just a couple drops of dishsoap added.

I mop my wood and tile floors with hot water (1 gallon) and vinegar (2-4 cups). A few drops of essential oil can be added to this if a pleasant smell is desired, or the water may be steeped with mint leaves and then strained before adding the vinegar.

I clean my tub and sinks with baking soda and a scrub brush. Once again, essential oil may be added for a sweet smell—just add the oil to the soda in a bag then close the bag and shake. Put soda in a tightly sealed container until needed. When I use this in my tub I follow it with a rinse of vinegar which makes the soda foam and helps to clear the grungy stuff in the drain.

An effective laundry soap may be made by mixing borax and baking soda and a few drops of essential oil (lavender or lemon are nice). Remnants of bar soap may be shaved into this with a grater for added suds.

A nice hand soap can be achieved by saving remnants of bar soap and boiling them in water until they melt down. If you own a foaming soap dispenser, you can add quite a lot of water to the pieces or less water will make a thicker soap for regular dispensers.

All of these ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find in any grocery store. The cleaners do not take much time to make, and can be made in large enough batches to last for a while. I particularly like that my house and clothes do not smell like chemicals or artificial scents. And I don't have to worry about breathing in toxicity or coming in contact with carcinogens."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:34:35 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I started earning the intermediate level of this badge this past year by seeking out a local source for naturally raised beef. I am blessed to have 2 grass fed beef ranches and 2 sources of naturally raised poultry right in Argyle! Three of the ranches/farms sell at the local farmer's markets and the other sells direct from the farm. I buy from both.

I also just finished reading the book “Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World” by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G.Fraser. I found the first couple of chapters difficult to enjoy as they were dripping in testosterone induced adjectives and metaphors; definitely a masculine view of...well, a man's world! Since I border on vegetarianism, I found it sickening to read, near the end of the book, of the authors' African “good-bye” dinner at the Carnivore restaurant in which they “chewed for an hour...on...chicken livers, ostrich balls, Chinese spareribs, and roasts of every barnyard denizen...then came lamb...sausage... turkey...and more beef....We ate our way past satiety and into hazy tracts into stupor.” Needless to say, the final chapter stressed the idea of enjoying beef, as well as all foods, in moderation! I did enjoy the pastoral chapters and the gentler art that the authors explored. I enjoyed reading about pasture management and animal husbandry. It was enlightening and educational.

I am convinced of two things concerning my own consumption of meat: I must find sources of meat that are local and naturally raised, and I must consume in moderation and with gratitude to the animal that gave its life so that I can live."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Raising my own beef is not an option for me right now since I live on a half acre which is not suitable for a beef cow. I have, however, researched the subject and have decided to pursue raising a belted Galloway if I ever get the chance! They are small, and gentle, and better suited to hobby style farms since they can be pastured in relatively small areas. I have also purchased a side of beef from a friend who can skirt some regulations by allowing his friends to purchase part ownership in the cattle. This way, I owned half of the cow and he, in essence, raised it for me for a small fee. That filled my freezer with enough beef to feed us for a year or so.

Since that time, I have gotten to know two local ranchers who offer natural, grass-fed beef, and getting an interview with one of them was easy...I covered their market during a recent family affair that left them with no relatives to cover! I've discovered that their processing is done here in Argyle, keeping the shipping and travel minimal (many farmers must ship their cows to far away processing plants), and that they will also sell a live animal to local farmers interested in raising their own beef. I also learned that both male and female offspring are used for beef, which I did not know. It is more work raising beef than I originally thought; the cows must be moved from pasture to pasture and carefully managed for good health. It has been a delight getting to know this couple as well as some of their children and grandchildren, also farmers!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Since I have FM I am not able to volunteer on a regular basis, BUT, when I was at our local VA Hospital for one of my Tuesday appointments I saw these trolleys in the hallway next to the library. This is the library that is for research and patient reading material. Locals can donate reading material to the library for the hospital and Vet’s Home residents.
Anyway, I noticed the trollys had boxes of books, old books, new books, classics and so on. I asked a fellow sorting through these why they where in the hallway.
“They’re going to be thrown out. Not enough room in the library. We’re too small to keep all the donations.”
My eyes got huge!
“Throw them out! These are just fine. And these old one’s need to go to the local historical societies. And look at this. The people at Independence Village would get a kick out of these magazines!”
What came of this was my talking to the head librarian. Every Tuesday, unless I am in real bad shape, I go down there and sort out the trolleys that have been set aside. Old magazines and paper goes to Hospice Recycling, books that are still good go to Friends of the Library or Save-a-Pet Thrift Store. Slightly out of date magazines go to local businesses like the wash house or doctors offices. Cardboard is also recycled for Hospice.
Here you can see my little truck with a load. It takes about an hour and a half to two hours to sort and box everything.

It’s great! People in the VA now know that their paper and cardboard goes to Hospice recycling so they put their stuff in the trolleys too. Everyone gets to read the magazines instead of them going into the landfill, and books go to people who will cherish them instead of them ending up in the dump.
I was even part of a trade. The VA librarian sent Independence Village all of the jigsaw puzzles that the Vets had done several times. The residents of Independence Village sent their old jigsaws with me back to the VA!
And as a wonderful side benefit for me – I get to read all those great magazines before I send them on to others!

Sometimes my little truck is loaded to the top with boxes of books and mags. And I have to drive right through town to get to the FotL drop-off. I must look like the ultimate in dumpster diver as I drive buy at a lowly 30 MPH with paper bits blowing off."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  11:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Judy Torola (JudyT, #599) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have not only collected 11 reusable bags but I have made some as well.

I love using them and use them every time I go to the store."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I was able to view horses up close, by enrolling my 16 year old in English horse riding lessons.

We were all given a tour of her horse stable and were educated on each of her horses, and those that she boards. The owner of the stables also receives horses that have been abused and rescues them. We were allowed to take a few photos of my daughter in one of her lessons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I went to the website to see the movie trailer for "Vanishing Bees". Watching the trailer broke my heart. I signed up to get the movie shown in my town, I hope that they do. If not, I will definitely try and see it one way or another!
I researched bee friendly plants in my area, only to discover that I already grew most of them already! Who knew?! I decided to try to grow different plants, so this year I also added peppers, and poppies.
I read "Secret Life of Bees". This story quickly became one of my all time favorites. I love how it was a fictional story, but still added facts about bees within it.

My pepper plants are getting bigger and bigger everyday. While my poppies are still bitty, I have high hopes for them!
I will pass on my copy of "Secret Life of Bees" to all of my friends. A book like this is best shared!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I disposed of any cleaners that were not "green" and replaced them with homemade cleaners.

I feel so much better. Our home environment is much healthier and it's better for our septic as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I researched homemade detergent recipes and made them. I even made homemade detergent for the dishwasher.

We've made many changes in our home. We continue to look for homemade bug and tick repellents for our pets to avoid harsh chemicals as well as cleaners."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"We already had an outside clothesline and indoor drying racks, so I installed a retractable 5-line clothesline in my utility room.

Many friends have been encouraged to "clean out" and make their homes "green." We have a few carpets that we will remove, and have donated several books to our local library. We also started drying our laundry outside during winter when possible."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:00:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Plant It Forward badge.

"We plant a garden every year, but last year we did expand our garden to twice the size.
We added extra tomato, pepper and eggplant plants. Planted extra beans, beets, carrots and type summer squash. We also added two types of winter squash and pumpkins.

We did donate the extra to a local food bank. Some extra went to some families who were in need and unable to raise their own garden.

I did help our local food bank for a time during the harvest time.

We talk to all our friends who raise gardens and to fellow vendors at our local Farmers Market about sharing the bounty and giving ideas about who that could go, which includes the all the clients and caregivers who are employees of the agency who also cares for our son who has Down Syndrome.

We give because we believe God places it on our hears and we also believe that "what goes around, comes around." It is very rewarding.

This photo is from our 2009 garden, which was twice the size, but this only shows our "pumpkin corner."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"This is an old headboard and footboard from a VERY OLD double bed. It is made out of IRON. I have been told that it was part of the bed my parents used MANY years ago. As a child growing up on our farm I remember it best as part of a fence around the farmhouse.

When I found it laying flat on the ground and not in use I claimed it, "planted" it here on my place and use as my trellis for growing a variety of things. What grows on it changes yearly . . sometimes a veggie, sometimes annual flowers.

Depending on what I plant I will also use some wire (where the upright piece of iron is missing) and string to create more trellis effect.

At Christmas I hang a big outdoor wreath with a big red bow on it!!!

We don't plant too many things in the garden that climb, however we do have and have used an old, heavy wooden carpenter/painter ladder that has four legs, is sturdy and works well to set it up in the garden for climbing plants.

I'm always up for unique, quirky and different. I've gotten lots of compliments on my "bed fence." It's fun to be creative with it.

We are scroungers/scavengers to the core and use anything we can that we have, or needs a new purpose whenever and wherever it is reasonable to do so."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Shortly before my daughter was born, possibly because of nesting and such, I started to question how awful are the chemicals I was using to clean the house. Pretty awful actually. Aside from the scum/residue that most cleaners leave behind, cleaners come with hazard labels like corrosives for example. Not that I never knew this, but now a delicate little creature was going to be learning to crawl on my floors, chewing on the corners of furniture.

Not only do natural cleaners smell better and I don't have to run out of the bathroom holding my breath so not to breathe in harmful fumes, but it feels better to know that the little knees crawling across the floor aren't going to get irritated or burned because of harsh chemicals. My house feels and smells just as clean as it did when I used other products, but instead of the bleach aroma after a good day of scrubbing, its geraniums or mint."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"This wasn't a hard badge to earn. I already keep a journal, so I just made a list from one through thirty and filled them in daily with something different that I was thankful for.

For the first day that I was able to get out and work in my garden, I was thankful for finally having dirt under my nails after a long winter indoors. One night that my daughter was staying with her Mimi, I realized how thankful I was for hearing her little voice right before she falls asleep saying "Goodnight, Momma." The day I ordered my chickens, I wrote that I was thankful for my hubby putting up with all of my crazy ideas and supporting me through it all."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I've always been a pretty healthy eater. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. After reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" I was further inspired to really eat as naturally as possible. I believe that Kingslover has even pushed me to be able to care for, "harvest," and eat my own chickens and feel good about doing so. Her adventurous spirit with food got me excited to try new things that I was once leary of, such as different squash, different varieties of tomatoes, and my favorite, the made from scratch garden pizza down to the mozzarella. Such a good book.

I love making my own pizza dough and sauce. Its hard to have the ingredients on hand to make my own mozzerella, so I usually buy fresh made local cheese to put on it. Hubby and my little Sophia love it for sure! I'm growing 4 different varieties of squash and lots of other tomatoes this year with high hopes of a nice canning harvest. My mom and I are teammates on this. Giving up margarine was the hardest part, but I like shakin' and makin' my own butter so it wasn't that big of a deal."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"Since last month all of the baking mixes and such were on sale, I bought several different varieties as well as the budget mix. HOLY MOLY the scones were heavenly! My husband has been looking for more meatless recipes, so this stuff came in handy.

I made a biscuit topped meatless chili one night that I'm pretty sure could be a staple recipe. It was an all around hit. As I said before, the orange and walnut scones were so good. We also did the pancakes, some adorable farmhouse crackers, the chicken and dumplings, and the biscuits. And, I'm going to need another copy of the Farm Kitchen seeing as how it is crusty, torn, and loved a whole bunch! Unless I can copy some of the recipes if I can make out what they say. Man, thats a good magazine!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"This is going to be my favorite badge. I have been anticipating the arrival of my chicks for three months now. After problems at the hatchery and such, they are finally here!!! I picked up my peeping package of seven feathery baby girls(hopefully) yesterday and got them set up in their brooder.

They appear to be doing well. Hubby and I are working on building the coop together. Its a great project for us to bond over...or kill each other. Who knows! :-P I can't wait for the eggs!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addybelle, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Ok, first off, after watching the movie trailer, I was left feeling nervous and afraid, which I guess is good on some level. I love bees. I loved "The Secret Life of Bees." My favorite lines in the book were "Send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved." I try to plant as many flowers as I can to encourage butterflies and bees. I noticed last year a few different kinds of bees even. Without them I wouldn't have had my pumpkins!

This year, my daughter is getting her own little section of the garden to help her get in touch with nature...as much as a three-year-old can! I want her to love and respect all living things. I've got a few perennials that I love such as bee balm, achillea, echinacea, and lavendar. I like perennials...less work! :-P"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Bickman (melbick, #1475) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"We have been using green cleaners for years now, ever since my son was diagnosed with asthma and we discovered that certain cleaners set it off. We have recently developed a mission statement about it:
If it's not made naturally than it's not natural to clean with.
My journal has been going on for years it is full of stuff I have discovered as well as items passed down from generation to generation.

The hardest part to the green cleaners is converting my grandmother. She thinks if is doesn't contain bleach or ammonia than it's not a cleaner. We have compromised and she is allowed to use certain cleaners in her area of the house (although I have snuck in a few green cleaners since her eye site has gone down hill, but I wouldn't recommend putting blue food coloring in the vineger water for glass it streaks them badly)."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page