Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Annette Widmark, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I researched food banks where I could volunteer my time. I chose Birch Community Services in Portland, Oregon.

I volunteered 2 hours each day on these days:
March 4, 2020
March 18, 2020
April 1, 2020
April 15, 2020
May 6, 2020
May 13, 2020

I learned how to break down large quantities in to smaller portions for families. Picked up lots of empty boxes to recycle. Swept and mopped the warehouse. And also organized cans and shelves.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Connie Harrington (SpinGal7, #6777) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“First I bought my Ryobi Chainsaw in April followed by boots, chaps, Stihl has a great combo, helmet with shield, and ear protection and it came with the chaps and carrying case. I got that May 23.

It went great. I had to use it immediately due to a fallen tree, I have a 14 inch chain and to tell you the truth I was always afraid of them. I thought I didn't have enough arm strength to handle it but I was wrong. It's given me more confidence. Maybe I'll start using my heavier Stihl gas chainsaw.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Connie Harrington (SpinGal7, #6777) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“I looked for chainsaw classes in my area but did not find one. I went to the internet looking for the woman's only workshop but it did not come up so I wonder if there is a error. I then found several video with women demonstrating using a chainsaw and also found video of felling trees, all very interesting.

At first I was frustrated not being able to view video. But I learned some valuable information. Protection gear and a well-maintained and adjusted chainsaw, technique and a little common sense. Never operate your saw when you are overly tired, distracted and especially working in a cluttered area, or where vines or branches could trip you up. Long hair should always be controlled along with loose shirts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  09:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruth Ann Kutemeier, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I learned that there are many root veggies. The list includes beets, carrots, onions, garlic, turnips, horseradish, radishes, shallots, parsnips, and rutabaga.

I learned where root veggies are grown in the US other than in my garden. In the U.S., Washington and California grow carrots, Georgia grows Vadalia onions, and Idaho grows potatoes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruth Ann Kutemeier, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“After researching, I didn't find any native root veggies in Indiana. Our garden is full of root veggies beets, carrots, radishes, garlic, onions, purple and sweet potatoes.

I've picked and cooked many meals with our onions. We have enjoyed radishes in our salad. My garden is doing the best it has in a long time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruth Ann Kutemeier, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I love to grow root veggies. Last year we grew enough potatoes to last all year. We just finished them up. Last year I made a root cellar by digging a hole and placing a trash can in the hole and filling it up with the potatoes. This year I'd like to add to my cellar. I think my trash can cellar worked out very well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected 10 reusable bags for shopping. Have placed them in a location near door so I can take them with me as I leave the house to grocery shop. They are beautiful bags that I've collected and found during reorganization of my home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked the taps in the entire house for leaks and luckily found none. I also researched all ways I already conserve water around my home and I sat down with my family and discussed all the ways we are doing it right and what we can improve.

We were happy to notice we do a lot of good things to conserve water and we renewed our desire to increase our efforts in doing better every day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched recycling in my area. Obtained material from the county which outlines clearly what can and cannot be recycled. I relearned a lot of items regarding the topic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up a recycling system for myself. My area luckily has a lot of resources for recycling. I created a habit of recycling with my system and the system already in place by my community.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I signed up for an ecard from the library of another county and even though libraries are closed. I've been using their ebook and audiobook services.

I also compiled a pile of 9 books that I want to read throughout the summer and posted it on social media. I've started reading the books on my pile.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I have a lot of knowledge of Civics and was able to complete all questions asked in Beginner and Intermediate levels in one sitting. I was surprised that I know a lot of the answers to these Civics questions and I loved brushing on my Civics knowledge.

For the Expert level, I also completed all these questions for this level in one sitting. I love acquiring knowledge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“I accumulated rewards from keeping food journal on WW and had a huge amount of it. They offered to have the rewards donated to feed families in need other than to acquire goods with the rewards for myself. I chose the former.

I was able to donate 40 lbs of fresh produce to a family in need.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I've gathered my family's favorite and well loved recipes into a notebook. I wrote them down or printed them. I absolutely love the results of this compilation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  07:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made yogurt and buttermilk. It turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I made a list of 85 foods that I have been trying that are new to me and that I tried for the first time in my life.

I'm researching Korean cuisine. I shopped the ingredients to make chapaguri random kimchi soup and beef bulgogi and collected recipes. The making of the items will be accomplished on next level of this badge. I am so excited to start cooking Korean food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  08:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Donna Albright (#7827) has received certificates of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have a beginner's sewing kit with all the essentials. I've made over 250 face masks for friends, family and various organizations during this pandemic. Also around 179 ear-saving headbands with buttons for nurses and others who wear masks all day.

Still ongoing. Will not stop until no more need. Currently working with two groups to create masks for an Indian reservation and essential workers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  08:05:37 AM  Show Profile
Susan Whitaker (Manayleavess, #4114) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I'm definitely not a professional musician but have played piano and guitar since I was kid. However, my dream was the flute. Since we had an upright piano, and basic guitars are much cheaper than a decent flute, the parental response to the flute request was always an emphatic "NO!" I started on this merit badge a couple of years ago. Rather than just learn the definition of harmony rhythm and melody, I bought an “Alfred’s Music Theory Self Study Course”. It took me a year to do all three books, but I have a much better understanding of what I'm playing.

Rhythm – speed or pace of a given piece – basically in beats per minute. The rhythm is further divided into meter – think of a waltz, which is a three beat rhythm, the march which is 2 beats.
Rhythm can be regular, irregular, or even regularly irregular (think of syncopated rhythms).
Melody is a sequence of notes the listener hears as a single entity.
Harmony is generally thought as 2 or more notes played or sung at once. It can be pleasing to the ear, or discordant.
A course in theory goes into so much more – intervals, keys, etc.

The three genres I compared are very different.
The first is Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy sung by the Andrews sisters. It was the beginning of “jump blues”. It made number 6 on the pop charts in 1941. The harmony is close, 3 note harmony, and also ranked number 6 in Songs of the Century. The song first appeared in the film Buck Privates, starring Abbott and Costello. This song has a regular, driving base with the melody carried in a upbeat rhythm, with much syncopation. The harmony is close 3 part. There's a solo in the middle of the song – as opposed to solo singer/chorus refrain composition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of3uhG1tCI

Up Against the Wall Red Neck Mother
Jerry Jeff Walker’s Up Against the Wall Red Neck Mother is country/western in genre. It was composed by Ray Wylie Hubbard and first released by Jerry Jeff Walker in 1973. It came out of Ray’s encounter at a bar in Red River New Mexico – he was the hippie in the “red neck bar”. Two of the customers in the bar were a man and his elderly mother. The bass is kept by a guitar strumming – note/chord in a regular rhythm.
The melody is more regular in rhythm than Boogie Bugle Boy. The verses are solo, the refrain is multivoice, in harmony. The harmony a fifth above the melody rather than 3 part. The lead singer’s melody is always heard over the harmony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBOcwgb4OA

Beethoven Ninth Symphony – Fourth Movement
This was Beethoven’s last symphony. It was composed between 1822 and 1824, and first performed in Vienna May 7, 1824. It's still one of the most performed symphonies in the world. He was completely deaf by this stage in his life. The text for the 4th movement is taken from Ode to Joy written by Friedrich Schiller. The rhythm is the piece is very regular. The harmony is 4 part – soprano, alto, tenor, bass. The melody is carried by the soprano

The piece builds to a huge finish. Similar to Bugle Boy is the fact that each part is blended into a whole sound that carries a melody. Where as in Red Neck Mother the main part is always heard above the melody.
One of the best renditions of the 4th movement is a flash mob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJcQYVtZMo

Very interesting to compare 3 very different genres of music. The review of music theory has definitely improved my playing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I've researched water bath and pressure canning. I learned of ph in different foods and what type of canning process is safe for each one. I learned about the role of pressure for canning beans. I've purchased Ball’s jars and rings and equipment to do both water bath and pressure canning.

I've looked at my cupboards and researched the types of canning used for each canned good I have. Included in that are some jams that were given to me by coworkers. The majority of the supermarket bought canned foods I had at home were processed in Industrial pressure canners. I looked at beans, okra and corn, condensed milk, double cream, boiled peanuts, sauces and salsas, and others. The jam my coworker gave me was processed with pectin and water bath. The spicy salmon my coworker gave me was pressure canned. Some pickled goods were just processed with water bath process. Others were pressure canned too. A jar of macerated pears was not processed using either method, but it had great quantity of alcohol and needed to be refrigerated after opening and consumed after macerating for a month.

I gathered pectin, pickling and canning salt to begin the canning process.
I looked over 7 canning books and looked at the CDC Canning recommendations.
I researched low-acid foods and what that means for the canning process.
I have learned a lot and am committed to mastering these skills.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Mentoring Sister: Heidi Schaap, JustPlainHeidi, #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I had never really used a pattern on anything except to sew simple projects, i.e. napkins that I make for our family's Etsy shop or simple doll dresses for my younger sisters.
So-o, I 'd never done something complicated like a 1950's dress. And I wanted to make something special to wear. So, I took the challenge!
It took hours upon hours of sewing, ironing, and pinning pieces together... but it was all worth it!

It turned out amazing! I love wearing my 1950's shirtwaist dress on special occasions with a fun white belt, and even got to wear it in a 50's-styled musical in November!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  09:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Mentoring Sister: Heidi Schaap, JustPlainHeidi, #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I was interested in collecting something, and really didn't have any inspiration on WHAT to collect. One day I was at a antique mall with my grandmother, and saw the cutest pair of vintage, leather baby booties! My collection was founded.

I only have two pairs in my collection right now, but they are my inspiration to keep my eyes open! My first pair is circa 1950's and my second pair (which I found last year in a local antique store) are probably closer to 1960's- a pair of baby leather, saddle shoes.
I haven't found anybody out there who has a collection of vintage baby shoes/booties, but you can find them on Etsy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (tchr66, #8042) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I began a gratitude journal writing at least one entry a day. When I received The Book of Awesome, I began reading it as I rode my stationary bicycle in the morning.

I've enjoyed writing the journal. More importantly, I've enjoyed reviewing the entries to discover the things I pay attention to and value in this world.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2020 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“The beginner merit badge called for reading The Elements of Style. I have MS and deal with vision fatigue, so I am only able to read a page or two at a time. I found a simplified version of The Elements of Style written by the author’s son, William Strunk Jr., 80 pages and laid out in such a way I was able to read it and use it in editing my 500-word story.

I posted my story on Merit Badge Chit Chat and ask interested Farmgirls to edit it. One Farmgirl found a wrong word – I had written mine and it should have been my. Another Farmgirl encouraged me. My sister also read it and suggested I change the name for her friend. I made the change and liked the way it read.

Murder on Hall B

No one was at the front desk when Pearl entered the Little Eden Nursing Home. She looked around, but didn’t see anyone, so went on back to Hall B and Washy Nell’s room. At the door she called out to not startle Washy Nell. On entering the room, Pearl noticed the blinds were shut and the lights off. By ten in the morning the blinds should have been opened because Washy Nell loved to see the morning sun flooding into her room. Pearl walked over to the bed and gently touched Washy Nell’s arm and drew back in horror. Washy Nell was icy cold, and Pearl knew enough about death to know she had been dead for hours.

Pearl called 911 and Sheriff Mack on her cell phone. Before help arrived, she only had minutes to look around the room. A needle and latex gloves lay beside Washy Nell’s lifeless body. She quickly took pictures of them with her smart phone.

“What are you doing in here?” May Ritter, the head nurse, shouted at Pearl.

“I’m here to see Washy Nell, but apparently you have forgotten it’s Tuesday, and I always visit her on Tuesdays. Looks like you weren’t expecting me or anyone else, and thought you had more time to get rid of the evidence before you called the authorities.” Pearl said.

Before the head nurse could answer Pearl heard the sirens as they turned the corner onto Cemetery Road. They were only blocks away. May looked surprised and glared at Pearl.

“You shouldn’t have done that”. May said.

“It was the least I could do since I wasn’t here to save Washy Nell.” Pearl said.

“Get out of this room and leave the building” May said as she reached for the needle and gloves.

“I’m not going anywhere” Pearl said “and leave those things right where they are. I’m not leaving until Sheriff Mack has them in his custody”.

Pearl didn’t know what she would do if May made another attempt to retrieve the evidence, and was surprised when May said “Well if you’re not leaving at least stay out of my way.”

Pearl heard the sheriff’s voice as he neared the room and she stepped out into the hall to have a private word with him. She told him how she had found Washy Nell, and apparently, she had been dead for hours.

“It’s all starting to make sense to me now. The insurance policies for the residents you saw on May’s desk naming her as sole beneficiary.” Sheriff Mack said.

Pearl watched as the sheriff arrested May and ushered her out the building. She stayed until CSI had cleared the room and the coroner removed the body. Emotionally drained, Pearl left too and went home to think on the events of the day. She regretted she wasn’t there to save her friend and hoped her passing was a peaceable one. Pearl knew in her heart Tuesdays would never be the same again.

Having others edit my work for grammar and spelling helped me to make the needed corrections.

Working with the 500 word limit helped me to make stronger sentences. I'm happy with my short story.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2020 :  09:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams (Kelsi R Williams, #8095) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have several reusable shopping bags that have been collected over time. I'd previously made several smaller vegetable bags to avoid using plastic ones for things like lemons, avocados, etc.

I've committed to taking a couple of my bags on the road with me when traveling. I've stowed away two canvas bags under the passenger side seat for shopping while out of town.

I inevitably end up with a few plastic produce bags from other people and I clean these out, dry them, and re-use them as many times as I can before recycling them.

I've received a lot of compliments on my canvas produce bags and they were so easy to make.

I don't see any reason to use plastic bags for grocery or other shopping and if there are only a few items there doesn't seem to be a need to have a bag at all.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (Cassie Thompson, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I learned the difference between Raw & Processed honey. Raw is only strained before bottling which leaves in some pollen and other nutrients that can be beneficial in reducing allergies. It also has antifungal properties. I also bought a couple jars of honey from members of my local beekeeper's association and read the required book.

The honey from the local beekeepers was beautiful and delicious! I find it appalling that what is found in the grocery store as honey is so often so adulterated! I also enjoyed talking to the other beekeepers about their bees and honey. The book was a lovely read for me since I enjoy the lore side of beekeeping even more than the practical parts even though there was plenty of scientific information as well.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page