Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  09:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I took a decorated table-top tree to a friend back home that was unable to set one up this year due to illness. I decorated it with snowmen and bows.

It turned out great. She had a big smile on her face. She loved it. I was happy to make someone so happy during the Christmas season.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“"Walking meditation" is focusing your mind on the act of walking. It's one of the best meditations for high blood pressure.

I spent a month learning different meditation techniques, such as walking meditation, deep breathing, and sitting in silence.

I'm working to continue my meditation practice and solidifying it as a daily habit. I felt much calmer after a month of regular meditation.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“I repaired my childhood vanity table, then refinished it for my daughter. I replaced the stripped screws, stripped the old paint (using a water-based stripper) and stained the wood with some water-based stain I already had. I then decopaged some sparkly tissue paper I'd saved from a previous gift I'd received (I have bags of tissue paper waiting to be repurposed). I then sanded the entire table top and sprayed it with glitter I already had (who doesn't have glitter), then sealed the entire table and stool with a water-based sealer. The whole project took well over 20 hours to complete and I posted before, during, and after photos.

It turned out fantastic! I gave it to my daughter for Christmas. Within an hour she had taken it back to her room and found space for it. Then she proceeded to organize all her girly essentials onto it. She even shopped the house for a lamp she like to give her good light. Despite the hours spent sanding and finishing to get the top perfect, it turned out pretty darned pretty.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2020 :  08:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Margaret King (Farmgirl 74, #7975) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“For the beginner level, I’ve acquired a kit that includes all of the basics, like scissors, pins, needles, buttons, thread, and miscellaneous notions.

For the intermediate level, I chose a project with purpose. A friend gave me the pattern for these "Dog Bones" (named for their shape) that she used to make for cancer patients when they received their intravenous meds. As they sat in recliners, the bones were placed at the nape of the neck to keep their heads from rolling from side to side. My husband volunteers for a Hospice Group in Spokane and I asked them if they could use these dog bones. "Yes!" So, I made ten in different colors of scrap material (found flannel to work best).

To make the dog bones, I used a pattern and cut 3 pieces, sewing the first two, right sides together with a straight stitch on my sewing machine. The third piece is attached to the second and the last remaining side to the first leaving a hole large enough to put your hand into. The project is turned right side out and stuffed with polyfil. Then the opening is slip-stitched closed.

A trick I learned from a 102-year-old-lady that I showed one of the "dog bones" is to make notched little cuts in the seams before turning them so piece would lay flat better without showing "dog ears," on the curves. Then press them with a steam iron so they lay flat. It made it easier to stuff. I also thought it would be fun to have each side a different fabric prints instead of just one, so I mixed it up!

A massage therapist who volunteers with Hospice reported that a man with ALS has four dog bones and loves to use them behind his knees and under his elbows. The RN's use them to support patients arms when administering pain meds.

I'm pleased that I am doing my bit to help and will continue to make them as long as they can use them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  09:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I've been wanting to become a stargazer for a while. I finally purchased a book, and I 've been learning how and what to look for. We went on vacation to Utah, and went stargazing when it grew dark. Mars was so close that I got to see why they call it the red planet! It was so neat!

It went great! The night was beautiful and bright. The air was so clear and fresh and I think it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  09:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“My older son finally moved out and I turned the basement into my craft room. I'm loving it! When I started moving my things downstairs I discovered a bag with forgotten crocheted squares and a box with some cut out and some sewn yoyo's. I've been working on finishing both projects and will post a pic on the forum when I'm done.

It's going well. I'm especially excited to see how I'm going to use the squares to make an afghan.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“A few years ago our town started a recycling program. I thought it was about time they did so, and I read up on everything that can and cannot be recycled.

It's going well even though I drive some family members bonkers! I'm always stopping them from throwing things away when I know they can be recycled. I always try and recycle as much as I can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  9:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I got so tired of throwing out plastic bags every time I shopped, so I bought eight recyclable bags and I am loving it. A lot of the stores where I live are going bag-less or they are charging you to purchase a recyclable bag. I think it's a great idea! I just have to remember to bring my bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  9:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“For this badge, have attended five different meetings and have voted in five different elections. I have also posted in the "merit badge chit chat" section of the forum regarding what I have learned.

The main thing that stands out to me in this area, opposed to others, is that this area seems to run on the "good ole boy" system. I have not run into this way of thinking in politics prior to living in this state. Perhaps I misinterpret or misunderstand how things are truly run, but that has been my impression.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“Running for office is not something in my wheelhouse. However, I was more than happy to support someone running for office! For the 2018 election, I did just that. I helped promote the individual and discussed his stance on different topics.

The gentleman I supported for that election won by over 2/3rds majority. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“For the 2018 election for Wyoming, the gentleman I helped support won the election by over 2/3rds majority vote. I then started reading the book "Free Lunch," by David Cay Johnston.

I found the book an easy read... but extremely disheartening. We have come such a long way from what our forefathers originally envisioned for this nation. While I suspect this book encourages some to get involved more in politics, for myself, it has driven me further away from that desire. I want little to nothing to do with politics. I will stand behind those that run with similar ethics and morals, but that will be the end of my political interest.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“There are multiple parts to earning the expert level of this badge. The first step was to visit at least two homebound and/or elderly people, making sure they get fresh groceries. I actually took this a step further, and not only brought them groceries, but also brought them already prepared meals for their freezers, that they could simply put into the oven to heat up ... much like a "TV dinner," but much healthier (and better tasting!).

The second step was to plant flowers or window boxes for the same individuals. My children and I actually planted both window boxes, as well as vegetable gardens for them, and took care of them so that they continually had fresh food to eat during the growing season.

The third step was to arrange babysitting for a family struggling financially. We actually decided to have the children for an entire day, so that the couple could spend the whole day together. :)

The final step was to donate cloth diapers to a local pregnancy crisis center or similar organization. In our area, we have a Women's Resource Center. They do not accept cloth diapers, so instead we donated diapers, wipes, and clothing. The cloth diapers went to a family that is expecting their first child.

The hardest part for me was donating everything to the Women's Resource Center. While I am thrilled to help, I also donated everything that was suppose to be for our daughter Cassie, that we lost in October. It was definitely a bittersweet moment!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I needed to plant a garden and donate the harvest to the food bank, organize a gleaning party to find naturally growing food to donate, and volunteer at the local soup kitchen or food bank.

Our local food bank does not except perishable food, so instead, we donated the food to people we know were in need. I also organized a foraging party, and donated those greens.

I volunteered at the local soup kitchen, as well as the 4H group I co-lead, started a food bank in a neighboring town.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to be able to help others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“I grew a garden that was designated to be for those in our area that were tight on funds and needed the fresh produce! There is a possibility that our 4H club will be taking over and taking care of the garden this year, for the same purpose.

Most of the vegetables grew well this year. With that said, however, I had difficulty getting brassicas to grow, and I'm not sure why! I would think they would go wonderfully well in our area, but I cannot seem to get them to grow!

I'm thankful for the opportunity to be able to help others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Get 'er Done Merit Badge!

“For this level of the badge, I was to organize a team that helped one another, every month, for at least three months. We helped one another with household chores, organizing school rooms (we are all homeschoolers), and in the garden.

This is something we will continue for the unforeseeable future. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Get 'er Done Merit Badge!

“This level of the badge requires an 8 hour commitment on a big project. The larger project I completed was to make 29 freezer meals in about 10 hours for one of the members of our team of farm girls that help each other every month. This doesn't include the prep time of picking the meals, and making a grocery list.

This has actually become an every month event for this particular family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level of this badge, I was to make two different candles, using two different molds as well as different wax, scents, or colors. I was also to gift a candle to a friend.

The first candle I made was just a pint jar candle, using beeswax, that I colored red, for Christmas, and scented with cinnamon scent.

For the second candle, I got an oven-and-microwave-safe shaped mug. I used beeswax again, but decided to color it green this time and use pine as the scent. It was this candle that I gifted.

I definitely prefer using beeswax, though honestly, I think my favorite is natural coloring and scent. I have made candles using other waxes in the past, and I do not prefer the soot, or chemicals they put in the air.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I watched a lot of YouTube videos, as our Joanns no longer offers any classes. I then set about to make two necklaces, as well as a bracelet, for one of my daughters.

I made a beaded bracelet and necklace, on wire, as well as a spiral wired "charm" that also had beads, on a premade necklace. My daughter was thrilled with them and wears them often!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level of this badge, I was to reuse tin can for a project in the garden, and to build a raised garden bed. I built a bird house and used flatten tin cans for the roof. It took 16 cans. I also made multiple raised garden beds. Raised garden beds are the best way for us to plant our vegetable garden in this area, as our soil is quite poor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, I needed to make my own garden gate, as well as make cold frames or a hoop house to extend the garden season. Due to the area we live in, we are surrounded by mule deer and antelope. As such, the fencing around my garden, as well as my garden gate, need to be six feet tall. My gate is built out of wood and fencing.

We have a short growing season here in Wyoming. As such, a hoop house or cold frames are a wonderful way to extend our growing season. Our cold frames are built out of 2x6s and double walled polycarbonate. Unfortunately, I planted my seeds a little late, for my winter garden, however, I still have Swiss chard, lettuce, and spinach growing, despite the fact that we have 6 inches of snow on the ground!

I LOVE the cold frames! I'm planning to use them, as well as possibly small hoop houses to be able to start my garden early!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, I needed to do at least three tasks. To complete it, I changed a tire, changed the spark plugs, exchanged a battery, flushed and changed the engine coolant, changed the front differential fluid, and exchanged a water pump.

Personally, I feel these skills are essential to know how to do, for any driver. I'm very blessed to be married to a man that is quite knowledgeable in mechanics, and he taught me those things I needed to know.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  10:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“In order to earn the expert level of this badge, one must replace two typical dinners with something new and more exotic, the next two times out to eat needs to be somewhere new, and also find a new shop other than typical grocery shopping stores.

Our family actually eats meals of various cuisines every week. Whatever country we are studying in Geography (we homeschool), we find meals that are typical for that cuisine and make them. Since the beginning of January, we started studying South America. For Brazil, I made Feijoada (a black bean dish), Arroz Branco (rice), Brazilian meat stew, and Bobo de Camarao (a shrimp stew).

I am very blessed in that my family enjoys all cuisines. We are looking forward to many more South American dishes over the next few months as we continue studying that continent.

For new restaurants I tried an Italian restaurant called Pizza Carrello (I had the homemade pasta) and Fiesta Tequila (a Mexican restaurant).

Sadly, our area does not have any specialty shops. However, we did visit one in the next state over, about three hours away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went online and downloaded what is recyclable and what is not recyclable that is available to me. I take it to a local hall to be picked up. It works well and is super easy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have separated my recyclables for year. I have cans in one box and the rest of my recyclables into a blue box. They get sorted at the recycle site I send it to. It is very easy and have done it for years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  09:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have recycled all that I can for years. It's the only way. I also compost. It is easy, and is very smooth. It is a rule in my house, and I encourage those around me to do the same.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page