Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  09:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I continue to work on my family history. Since I've been doing this awhile, I have often used Ancestry.com, Familysearch.org and the local Genealogy Library.

I'm working to learn even more about my husband's mother and am ready to chase after an ancestor from Baton Rouge, LA.

These tools enable all researchers to make headway very quickly. The only drawback (unless you have Ancestry on your home computer) is finding a resource to utilize. Ancestry is available at the local Genealogy Library. I love the chase!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“Windbreaks can provide an effective snow barrier, an improved farmstead working environment and up to 40% in heat and energy savings. For crops windbreaks offer protection from moisture loss and hot, drying winds.

Most important is to locate the windbreak where it will be most effective and to allow enough space for plants.

For here in Illinois, the prevailing winter winds are northerly and northwesterly so the windbreak should be oriented along the north and west sides of the property. Windbreaks can be U-,L- or E-shaped and so do not have to be in straight lines.

You should plant a variety of species to guard against pest and disease outbreaks, and foliage density at different heights, longevity, and degree of downwind protection. Typically, five rows of trees make an effective windbreak, starting with a row of dense shrubs. But even 2 rows of evergreens can provide protection.

Site preparation is important and all competing vegetation should be removed in the fall prior to spring planting. Keep the plants watered during dry spells. You may also need to protect young trees from deer browse the first few years.

This information was gleaned from an article by a horticulture professor at Joliet (IL) Junior College. He is also a senior research scientist in entomology at The Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL

I took a walk through Lodge Park in Monticello, IL. It's just outside of my hometown 17 miles away. Most of the forest is old growth, but new trees are being planted all the time. The most regal are the towering White Oaks - native to our area. European white birch (obviously a transplant) dot the river bottom and really glow when the sun is out. Black walnut - native - is scattered throughout the park. Eastern White Pines (native) are usually found in groves throughout the park.

We have existing, mature windbreaks on the north, west and most of the south side of our farmstead. These were planted many years ago. So I took a walk about and compared the stands with the information I read. On the north the firs are planted in 3 diagonal rows and provide great protection from the winter winds and minimize the snow we would get piled in our driveways. The east side is planted in 2 straight rows and provides great wind protection. All these also provide erosion protection for our property.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2019 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I downloaded this fun app called leafsnap so I can identify some of the trees around me in my complex.

These three trees, and many more grow in my complex. Using leafsnap, I was able to identify: Southern Magnolia, Alleghey Serviceberry, and Coastal Plain Willow

The Southern Magnolia is not native to California, but rather southeastern United States. 

The Alleghey Serviceberry is native to Eastern Canada.

The Coastal Plain Willow is native to Mexico, Southeast United States and Caribbean.

I was really excited to learn more about the trees I see everyday. I have a fondness for them and they are so beautiful. Now I know what species they are and I want to keep leafsnapping trees around me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Jill Huyck (sheridan126, #7889) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I've enjoyed re-thinking the cleaning supplies I use, there are so many better alternatives that are "green!" For my journal, I am using a Google doc (no paper!) where I copy online articles and tips and ideas for being more conscientious in efforts to live green.

So far so good! The results I get using less caustic cleaning supplies is quite good, but they do require more elbow grease in some cases. That's fine with me, burns a few more calories at the same time! I'm getting a lot of satisfaction knowing I'm using more natural cleaning products.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  3:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Jill Huyck (sheridan126, #7889) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I stocked up with not 6, but 10 reusable shopping bags! I decided to buy them, but I'm sure I could make more when/if I need them. I've committed to storing them in my car so no forgetting! That is where I feel the challenge will be.

It's going well! I am 3 for 3 in remembering to take my bags shopping with me and using them. And not only grocery shopping, but I also used them at Bed Bath & Beyond and a shoe store! :) I got this!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I've gathered up some of my UFOs. LOL. I put them each in a bag with the supplies needed to finish them up.

It turned out well. I found out I have a more UFO's than I can bag up. I guess I better get going. I've enjoyed posting in the UFO thread.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2019 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I finished one of my UFOs! I painted 6 sets of home signs. I think it turned out well. I enjoy painting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I went to the library and checked out Julia's Last Hope by Janet Oke which is a non fiction book. I checked out One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey which is a fiction book. I checked James Whitcomb Riley's poetry book called Riley Farm Rhymes. I enjoyed reading them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  09:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“For the badge I wrote a fiction story about a group of preschoolers and their day at the zoo. I then read it to my preschool class. The poem I wrote was about the animals on the farm. I wrote a persuasive essay on why we should grow our own food and how easy it is. It turned out well. I read the and poem to my preschool classroom. I turned my persuasive essay in for a for a class I'm taking. I earned an A on that assignment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I've been working on a program to increase my skills in math through Ivy Tech Community College. I'm learning a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  09:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I made first aid kits for the barn garage and all 3 cars. I made sure each had a blanket included. I decided not to make a kit for the kitchen as the bathroom is very close and we have a kit in there already. I think it turned out well. I gave a car kit to my mom and her husband for Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  09:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I attended first aid and cpr class through my job. After earning my certificate I shared with a local 4-H how they could heip others with the knowledge. I encouraged them to take a class. I feel it turned out well. Four of the kids that attended the local 4-H meeting took a first aid class and babysitting safety course.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2019 :  09:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218, #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“On 10/01/2018 I reenrolled in my first aid and cpr course. I passed my course.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“Because of the type and location of projects for which I would use a chainsaw, I already know I wanted a smaller cordless electric. I talked to friends who have saws, looked at different brands, sizes on line at Home Depot, and visited Lowe's to handle different sizes. I then started gathering "accessories": earplugs, new leather gloves, bar oil. I already have sturdy boots and safety glasses.

To determine length of bar needed, I looked at sizes of trees and branches I would be cutting, and discussed this with husband, as we would sometimes be working as a team. As spring progresses, and I see a lot of fallen trees, limbs, and branches on our property, I'm excited to get started! I plan to have a good supply of wood for the fire pit for the summer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I assembled first aid kits, of varying sizes and contents, for both of our vehicles, for bathroom, travel trailer, and for my "greenroom." Fire extinguisher in house checked and tilted on 4/8/2019.

I used zip top sandwich bags for smaller kits, which makes it easy to squeeze into small storage areas. For our trucks, I used pint and quart size snap top food storage containers. It's easy to see what's in the kits, and keeps them clean and neat. All kits have nitrile gloves, gauze, tape, bandaids.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Using an old wooden work bench, two found stacking bins, and water softener salt recyclable bags, I set up my recycling center in a corner of my green room, close to where I park my vehicle. I keep a small box in the house to frequently take items to the bins. Since our county's contracted recycling does not accept Styrofoam, a group of friends pools our food trays, take out containers, etc. and for a small fee, can take them to a center (monthly) in neighboring county.

The bench works well for sorting, and is small enough so I can't let it pile up. It is convenient to put bags and boxes into my truck and drop them off at large recycle bin when I am passing by. I have been more conscientious to check everything for recycle symbols.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've collected at least 6 reusable shopping bags and diligently use them! I love reusing my shopping bags. Every little bit of waste saved helps the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Canning Merit Badge!

“Canning was a big part of our summer to do growing up and when I was able to have a homestead of my own I couldn't wait to fill my storage shelves with our garden produce. Something about that little "pop" from the jars sealing is music to my ears.

The satisfaction of having my shelves filled with our gardens bounty is priceless. I love that I can feed my family healthy, organic foods throughout the winter months. It saves us money and we have a lot of memories made and many more to come! I'm pretty sure we eat more berries than we put up jam and more peas than what goes in the freezer! We pressure can venison, chicken, and stew meat from our beef as well as stock. I've also tried peas and corn but prefer them frozen to pressure canned. We water bath most of our jars, jellies, jams, fruits, and tomatoes is what we put up most. One of our favorites to share with friends and family is our hot pepper jelly! Goes perfect over cream cheese and crackers over the holidays.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received certificates of achievement in Make It Easy for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I've been working really hard since the beginning of this year. I woke up one morning and said enough is enough I need to start taking time for myself and feel good in my own skin again. I've been exercising and eating healthy for 16 weeks now! I feel better than I have in a long time. Im so happy I have found my motivation to be the best me I can. I don't see myself stopping this momentum ANY time soon!

My weight hasn't changed much in fact it's exactly the same. However, my clothes feel more comfortable, I'm not usually bloated and most importantly I FEEL so STRONG. I work on an organic farm and also run my own little homestead so eating healthy is easily achievable. My most dreaded physical activity is running but since I've been so diligent and exercising regularly I just bought myself a brand new pair of trail running shoes! New shoes feel amazing and motivates me more to get them nice and broken in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received certificates of achievement in Garden Gate for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Herbs Merit Badge!

“I've been a long time gardener and have almost always grown my own herbs. Usually annuals such as basil, parsley, and thyme and my two perennials that I enjoy are lavender and mint. Others I try and grow here and there are echinacea, elderberries although not an herb but they have wonderful medicinal properties. A few more are chamomile, rosemary, lemon balm, catnip, borage. I seem to add more to my garden each year!

I used the lavender I harvested for a nice aroma for a relaxing bath for my kids. Mint grows all over my property and I think it's totally necessary to enjoy a mojito...or two! I also dehydrate some for peppermint tea in the winter months. I love to cook italian food, I think the flavor from the fresh herbs are far superior to the store bought varieties. Again, I dehydrate as much as I can to use in the winter months.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have been owners of a chicken flock for almost 7 years, it was one of the first projects we did when we bought our homestead. We so much enjoy watching the hens run about the yard catching the bugs and nibbling on the grass. We found a great company close to use that produces non-GMO grains and we use that to supplement their diets.

The eggs are great! Nothing beats a fresh egg. We prefer brown egg layers but it is also fun to have different colored eggs. The kids get a kick out of it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Brittany Willson (BackwoodsBritt, #7897) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I've been working on this beautiful mason jar with flowers cross-stitch with plans to gift it to my grandmother for this upcoming Mother's Day. It was a nice project to start off with over the winter months, passed many snowy days away and my kids enjoyed helping a bit too! I was surprised how many hours this actually takes but thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot wait to see my grandmother's face when she sees it, as she is one to appreciate gifts that are homemade.

Not bad for a first timer! I enjoyed doing this craft and will venture out to create my own pattern my next go-around at this activity.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  09:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“I went on to Youtube and watched a few videos on furniture makeovers. I then took an old footstool and recovered it. This was the first time I ever did upholstery and it turned out pretty well. I'm actually looking forward to my next project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“I researched more advanced pottery techniques. I learned about the different types of glazes and their applications. I learned to create a pot on a potter’s wheel. I made 4 different pieces, the on the potter's wheel and two by hand. I made a toad's house using a slab and coil with a cut out door and window. I made a mug using a slab and adding a bee to the side. On the potter's wheel I made a teacup and a bowl. I used slip on the toad's house, painted a glaze on the mug and dipped the teacup and bowl in glazes. I spent over 20 hours making, baking, and glazing everything.

One of the things I learned is that I'm horrible at centering the clay on the potter's wheel. Potter's make it look so easy. I also found out that even slip can run when it is fired.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2019 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We are still using the can recycle bag since we drink a lot of things that use cans! I even got my boyfriend on board after some hesitation. I am shocked that we've filled up the bag twice in the last month. We were just throwing the cans away before but now we are doing our part and recycling!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page