Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level of the badge, I was to create two BakeOver recipes and share them with my Farmgirl Chapter. I created a Machaca BakeOver and a Southwestern Beef BakeOver.

Our family really enjoyed these two recipes!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, I was to create and share four more BakeOver recipes. The first recipe, for breakfast, was a veggie BakeOver topped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. For a lunch recipe, I created a taco, cheese, and pasta BakeOver. For dinner, I created a Chicken Pot Pie BakeOver. For dessert I created a peach BakeOver.

Out of all the recipes, I think the kids enjoyed the breakfast recipe the most. It was almost an eggs benedict, but with veggies instead of meat.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“There are four requirements to acquire the expert level of the "Know Your Food" badge. The first is to share with a Farmgirl Chapter how buying from local farmer markets, co-ops, natural markets, etc helps impact the local economy and our personal health. I shared with the Wildflower Virtual Chapter.

The second requirement is to buy local or organic foods as much as possible, shooting for 50%. We purchase grass-fed local cow once a year, two pasture raised sheep, and raise our own pork, chickens, and eggs. We also have a large garden, where we grow heirloom veggies. When we need something we do not have, we purchase from our Farmers Market, or, in the winter, organic veggies from the grocery store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (Firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I set up a reusable bag swap on 1/9/19. Seven ladies joined. Mail out was 2/15/19. I feel it was a successful swap. I've used the bags at several places and told others where they came from. I believe it was successful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“Although I have a very helpful husband at home, I'm a do it myself type person. Since I'm on spring break this week, being an elementary school teacher, I thought I would try to get a few things finished up. I loved the Book Dare to Repair. I often use YouTube to help me repair things, but not always sure exactly what the tool is called or where to find it. The book gave me great pictures of the exact tools needed and what they were called. I decided to take an 80's bathroom and update it with new shelving, light fixtures and paint. I may try to retile the floor over summer break when I have more time.

I love the bathroom! I added some cute pics of our 4 dogs to the shelves and I'm amazed at how much more room we have in our bathroom and how clean and organized things are now. I repainted the walls a light gray and the trim a bright white. I took down an old mirror and added shelves using 1X2's for makeup storage. I used to use an old brass and glass shelf that stored my bottles of stuff and an old crate for my washrags, but built a new unit that holds it all and its tucked back behind a corner so the unsightly bottles are hidden away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:42:07 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Like a lot of Sisters I love quilts! I love the idea of their history, the time and effort put into them, and their usefulness. I'm always on the lookout for a quilt and try to find the proper name and reason for its name. I have the Drunkin Path, 9 patch, wedding ring, double wedding ring, flying geese, log cabin, and my prized crazy quilt embroidered with the 1890 on it along with the various names from the family. I try to find quilts prior to the 1930's and they are all one of a kind since they are all handmade. I've tried to find the flour sack quilts, but am told its very hard to know for sure unless I can find the sack printing edge and those were normally cut away. I don't have a history of quilt makers in my family and I have attempted to make quilt topped pillows, but find that I'm awful at sewing any project! There are a lot of groups around my area since I live in a predominantly rural retirement area, but most teach others to sew. I've called up the local quilt shop known as Betty's Quilt shop in Idaville, Indiana to get some history lessons on a quilts I couldn't find the names for. I've collected 15 quilts so far, but I know I'll never be finished.

My prized quilt, the crazy quilt, was a gift from my husband. He collects old cast iron pans and I collect old quilts, so we are a pair when we hit the flea markets and estate sales. The crazy quilt was sewn in 1890 and has some of the most luxurious fabrics of its time. There are many small pieces of velvet, silk, and shiny golden threads. There are also initials of unknown people and stamped advertisements placed here and there. The quilt was never used for warmth, but was hung on the wall as a display piece, so it is in wonderful shape. I have it hanging on my stair well high above for everyone to see, but not touch. Every time I look at it, I find a new piece sewn in that I hadn't noticed before. It's truly a prize I cherish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“My husband and I are junkies for the makeover shows. We of course love the Gaines family and their show Fixer Upper. I am always amazed at the wonderful outcomes. Our home is an old 1900 built farmhouse and we often try to take it back to the farmhouse style, which has become easier and easier since it is a new trend. We have replaced our lights with old milk buckets and older feeder bins, made a coffee cup rack from an old piece of wood found in the back of the barn, and even built our own farmhouse table with seriously heavy 4X6 boards we found in the barn. This newest project is our headboard for our bedroom. We found an old piece of picket fencing in the hayloft of our barn. It was the perfect size to fit our queen size bed. We stained it a dark walnut, added some new but old gate hooks and 4X4 posts on the side.

This project is perfect for our home. We were able to attach the 4X4 posts to our bed frame and even found an old piece of wood to hang above our bed for an added light to read at night. This type of project is what makes our home OUR home. eAll the little touches of homemade and knowing the pieces came from the barn means it has been here a long time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I love the idea of heirloom seeds, but they do take work. I first got an interest in this type of seed when I read about the Beekman Brothers planting a garden for each decade based on their location in Sharon Springs New York. I thought it would be wonderful to see history decade by decade growing right in the backyard. Then I read the book “Gardening with Heirloom” seeds over the winter and it gave such wonderful stories and history of different plants. I love the odd names people came up with for the plants of that time. The book was much more than just an educational type read, but gave the history of each plant. I love history! I decided to get my seeds from the oldest known seed company in the United States, Landreth from 1784. Their online catalog has the original dates the plants come to the US and from what country. I would love to plant each variety of these seeds and then hope to save the seeds to pass down to my own kids when they are old enough to move out. I've often thought there are so many things they won't ever have the privilege of knowing because it has become extinct. Since it's still cold here in northern Indiana I have only started to plant my early vegetables under a low hoop house, but can't wait to get started on more when the weather warms up.

I've planted the Spanish Black radish, Kentucky wonder brown bean, San Marazano Tomato, Cocozelle Green striped summer squash, snowball early cauliflower, and the scarlet half carrot. I'm so excited to start these seeds that I doubt I'lll make my way to the big box store to buy the GMO seedlings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have about 4 acres of land, a 1900 old farm house and a 1905 old red barn, and an original well house. The old well house has now been made into the chicken coop. We can't seem to stop at just a dozen. There are so many varieties of chickens we just keep ordering more!! I love the idea of having a heritage breed and we are going to try and incubate a few of their eggs and raise our own. We found a great deal on a used incubator on ebay and plan to give it a try as soon as they start laying. We now have about 75 hens and 3 roosters. One rooster is a Polish so I'm not sure he counts as he can't even see where he is walking, but we keep him around for entertainment. We live in the country, but on a busy road in a tourist town. In the summer we have people stop lost on their way to the amusement park and the city people are always mesmerized by the free range chickens.

We are now getting about 30-40 eggs each night. It's wonderful! We have some that are older and probably not laying much anymore and our new younger ones are just starting to lay little eggs. We keep the little eggs for ourselves and set up a self serve station just outside our house. We made a little shack with a mini fridge and self serve sign. We put the eggs out every morning and every evening when we return it is empty and cash left in the box. We've never had a problem with stolen eggs or stolen money.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I've always been very aware of the food I eat. When I met my husband I told him it was the only thing I'm willing to spend extra money on because it has an everlasting effect on my life. I loved the book! I couldn't imagine taking on such a journey to only eat local or grow your own everything! The book gave some funny stories as well as a lot of insight on options people can take to eat locally. Our family has switched from any hydrogenated oils to only using coconut and olive oil as well as trying to use only honey and occasionally, raw sugar. We've completely taken out all pop and artificial sweeteners. We did try to sprout and even purchased special lids to help rinse out our seeds. We found we didn't like the sprouts as well as our chickens. We have since expanded the sprouting to fodder for our chickens, but not for ourselves.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“To start, I'm a first grade teacher in a small rural school. The majority of our students speak Spanish and are from El Salvador. I have 21 students in my class and 4 don't speak any English, 8 speak both English and Spanish and the rest are native English speakers. It is tough, but I've learned a lot from their culture and find many of their traditions to be a wonderful addition to my own. For the Hispanic culture their number one priority is their family. Some people will think it unconventional that they have 20 people living at their house, but thats because family is important and they take care of each other. My children grew up in a house that each had their own room and it was never a question of who would make dinner. In the Hispanic culture the kids share a room and learn skills of negotiation to get their space and the responsibilities are divided. I had one very bright little boy tell me he can't wait to start working because then he could send money back to his grandma who lives in El Salvador. They grow up knowing they will always help their family. I have learned lots of words in Spanish out of necessity and I love it when the six year olds tell me that I was able to say something correctly in Spanish.

I'm also blessed to have wonderful Hispanic parents that make wonderful food for me!! This past week one parent brought in the traditional El Salvador food called a pupusa. It's a bean filled homemade tortilla with a spicy slaw on top. It makes my mouth water every time I try it. I also have parents bring in 3 leche cake for their children's birthday. It's made with 3 types of milk with a creamy fruit in the middle. It's wonderful! I am truly blessed to be able to teach in such a wonderful community. It may be difficult sometimes with our language barrier, but we never stop learning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“This badge turned out to be harder than I thought. I ordered the bags, which was easy thanks to Amazon. I remembered to put each set in each vehicle, but it was so hard to remember to take them into the store. We get into such a hurry to get in and get out that I often forget. I've recently made myself take the long walk back out to the car and get the bags that I forgot more than once now! The bags are wonderful when I do remember to take them into the store. I bought 6 large bags that will hold 40 pounds each plus 6 fruit bags that are much better than the plastic ones from the store. The fruit lasts much longer in these bags and I can throw them in the wash if they are dirty and use them again.

This is a great idea and I've read that many stores are weaning off the plastic bags and a few will even be rid of them altogether in a few years. If I do have those plastic bags from the store I always reuse them at home. I often put them in my small bathroom trash cans or clean up the super gross things and tie them up to toss in the outdoor garbage. Overall I could do without the large stash I have on hand and plan to use my new ones more often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Bryant (JennyBryant7807, #7807) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“This is a great idea! Just before Christmas I decided to clean our bathroom shower that is full of rust from living out in the country. I used the super strong stuff or Iron Out and nearly passed out just from cleaning the shower. I was ill the rest of the day. I decided then it was time to make a change. I found lots of ideas online and wrote them down in my journal. I found that most anything can be cleaned with just a few ingredients. I now have lots of vinegar and buy baking soda in 8 pound bags. I have also purchased lemon oil and found it useful on a lot of things and even replaced my goo Gone and pledge bottle with it. I also bought a small collection of essential oils and started to make our own soaps and scent my new cleaners naturally. I loved the all purpose kitchen cleaner I made using just water, vinegar and rosemary and lavender essential oils. Even my kids have commented on how wonderful things smell.

We've easily replaced our cleaners and now even make our own laundry soap using the old bars of our handmade goat milk soap. Our house is just as clean and I feel better knowing I'm not putting the extra chemicals into our house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  08:48:52 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I identified contracted recycling provider for our rural township, and found their website. I then went to a recycling bin site, and photographed their guidelines so I could refer to it at home and do this properly.

I think their pictured guidelines are clear and will be quite easy to follow. I also found a recycling center in a city approximately 30 miles away where I can take Styrofoam for recycling for a small fee.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  08:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since we have two vehicles we drive regularly for shopping, I wanted to make sure both were well stocked with reusable shopping bags so that we wouldn't forget. I gathered 6 bags for each truck, and placed them in a visible location in back seat to remind me. (No excuses!)

We have used our reusable bags for the past 4 shopping trips, and are finding it easier to form this habit, and find it actually makes our shopping trips, especially carrying groceries into the house, much easier. No longer do we have piles of bags of plastic bags that we forget to return to the store! We're committed to continue.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I've continued in my practice of daily meditation for 21 days, and feel fully committed to this positive "habit." I've used deep breathing, visualization, body scan for relaxation, prayer, and loving kindness techniques, and averaged 14.75 minutes per day.

My time in various types of meditation, especially prayer and deep breathing, have become a "normal part of my day," everyday. I look forward to it, and find my time increasing a little each day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  08:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie Lamey (SteffyAnn, #1609) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I've managed to collect more than 50 buttons and I keep them in a pretty mason jar. Some of my buttons were found, some were inherited from from my grandmother, most were purchased though.

I love buttons. I'm happy to finally have them all in one place and ready if I need them for a project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie Lamey (SteffyAnn, #1609) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I used buttons from my collection to create a button bracelet and a charm for a necklace. I used a metal chain and metal rings to connect my buttons to my bracelet. I used soft pinks and pearl colored buttons to make a sweet romantic styled bracelet. The necklace charm incorporates the same buttons dangling from a thimble. I love how they both turned out. It's great to be able to wear jewelry that I adore, that I have also made myself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected 6 reusable shopping bags, and have used them in shopping for groceries. In California it's a law that you have to pay for plastic reusable bags, so having them already has saved me money and helped the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I found a photo of an Irish country side that I loved, and drew it onto a canvas. I haven't drawn in a long time, so it's not very good but it was extremely fun.

I had a wonderful time using a medium I rarely use to make something new. I uploaded the original and my reproduction on my blog https://farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I researched the different types of wax used in making candles. There are many different waxes used to make a candle. My research shows these different kinds:

Paraffin - has no additives, most commonly used and can be used for many different types of candles.

Soy - 100% natural and is mostly used for container jar candles

Palm - allows for creation of candles with unique textures. Used mostly for pillars, votives and tarts

Beeswax - 100% natural and can be used for any type of candle

Granulated wax - used for crafting, made from paraffin

Gel wax - made from mineral oil and polymer resin, not actually wax, but can be used for candles.

I researched the different ways to scent a candle.
Commercial making scent oils - liquid form, can be bought premixed

Fragrance Oils - 100% synthetic

Essential Oils - These are produced naturally from plants such as herbs and flowers. They have specific properties, which can be found by doing an online search or using a book on essential oils.

Natural Scents - This covers such things as crushed or powdered plants, spices and herbs, finely ground zest, etc. Some work really well with melted wax, such as ground cinnamon, crushed lavender flowers or finely ground lemon zest.

I researched the different ways to color a candle.
Color blocks - Dye chips or blocks are made from vegetable based wax with a pre-measured amount of dye, this allows them to be added directly into melted wax.

Liquid Dye - Liquid measured out to dye the candle.

Pigment Dyes - Typically used for larger batches of candles, dye flakes are a great way to achieve a strong depth of colour in your candles while maintaining fade resistance. As dye flakes are highly concentrated you only need a small amount to achieve the desired colour. Dye flakes are measured by weight as a percentage of the amount of wax.

I learned so much about candles and candle making while researching for this badge. I am so excited to make my own candles soon!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I learned about three of the basic elements of music: rhythm, melody, and harmony.
Melody is what results from playing notes of different pitches. It is easily distinguishable and singable

Rhythm is what results of combining notes of different durations, sometimes coinciding with the beat and sometimes not. 

Harmony is music that accompanies the melody and doing something else to add to it. 

I listened to three different genres of music to identify the elements of rhythm, melody, and harmony.

90s Hip-Hop - tons of rhythm and harmony in this kind of music. Listened to the 'classic' Mo' Money Mo' Problems.

Jazz "Lo-fi Chill" - this genre is interesting because it is mostly instrumental and uses a repetitive rhythm with experimental overlays as harmonies to the main melody

K-Pop - Even though I don't speak a word of Korean, I was able to identify all three parts of a musical song in this genre. This genre is so upbeat I really love listening to it! 

I was really impressed how easily I was able to identify similarities in three very different genres. This was such a fun and informative exercise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I researched on our energy provider's site to see what kind of energy generating types they use. I found that our company uses solar, wind and natural gas combined. 

I researched different methods of energy production (natural gas, hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, or sustainable energy) and this is what I learned:

Solar Energy

Pros - Non-polluting, most abundant, long lasting systems

Cons - Dependent on sunny weather, requires large physical space for PV cell panels, high initial investment

Wind Energy

Pros - non-emission, reliable, high output

Cons - not feasible for certain geographical locations, extensive land use

Hydroelectric

Pros - no emission, reliable, output can be regulated

Cons - expensive to build, environmental impacts

Natural Gas

Pros - Widely available, cleanest burning fossil fuel, can be made safe

Cons - Transportation costs high, burns cleanly but still emissions

I was really surprised to learn that our company still used natural gas. I was glad to know it is the most environmentally friendly gas though. I learned a lot about pros and cons of different energy production ways.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Per our city's website on recycling: Acceptable items include household recyclables like paper, plastic bottles and containers, cardboard, glass and aluminum cans.

Non-acceptable items include construction/demolition waste, auto parts, tires, household hazardous waste (paint, oil, household cleaners), medical or electronic waste.

I was really thrilled to learn our city accepts most items! I remember when I was little we would have to check the recycling number because our city didn't recycle some types of plastic. This badge is such a great excuse to do something I've been meaning to do forever and start actively recycling in my home!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I purchased these cute and simple to use bags so when we have recycling at home, we can put it in here instead of in the trash. We live in a tiny apartment, so this is a great space conscious option!

I'm trying to find a better space for them, but for now we are just using the cans bag since recycling is mixed in our neighborhood.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page