Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full-length apron from a pattern.

I had some problems with the button holes, but it was a great learning experience!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I volunteer, along with two of my daughters, to work in the cat room at the local humane society. My mother, myself and one of my daughters, helped crochet 17 cat blankets and donated them to the same animal shelter. In addition to that, I crocheted dishcloths and donated 10 of them (so far) to a Domestic Violence Shelter. Women who leave the shelter can start their new homes with a handmade dishcloth.

We continue to volunteer for the humane society and continue to crochet items to be donated."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I taught my mother how to crochet with the single crochet stitch. I also taught my 13 year-old daughter and now my 8 year-old. I crocheted dishcloths, a scarf, and washcloths.

I am continually looking for more involved patterns to learn new stitches. I love it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I let all of my extended family know that I was making homemade Christmas gifts this past Christmas. I made the dish scrubbies that are in MaryJane's book, I crocheted slippers for all of the kids including my husband, I made homemade ornaments and gave a box to each family, I crocheted a purse for a niece and a reusable bag for my sister, and I made bookmarks. My 13 year-old daughter made macrame necklaces for her two cousins.

Not everyone was thrilled to receive homemade items, but I did it and feel very good about it. Through my actions I influenced my kids to partake in a homemade Christmas as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I researched the benefits of grass fed beef.

I have eaten very little meat, fish or poultry my whole life, mostly because I don't like the taste and texture of it. Ground beef is one of the few meats I will eat, but in limited quantities. I was amazed to find out the benefits of grass fed beef: no hormones or growth promoting additives, low stress lives mean less need for antibiotics, less fat, calories, and cholesterol, problem of manure contaminating feedlots, high grain diet used in feedlots make animals sick. I am now encouraged to try grass fed beef in the future."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"I made a chandelier for my front porch of canning jelly jars and wire. I used seven jars and some barbed wire, and candles I made of bees wax.

I believe it is very beautiful, and will light up my early mornings and evenings as I sit and think."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  12:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We purchased over a dozen reusable shopping bags, and took advantage of free offers to obtain even more.

It took us a while to keep remembering to take them in stores, but we use them for more than shopping now too. If I am taking items to a friend or family member, I carry them in my reusable shopping bags. They make great gift bags for someone moving too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have added a total of six bags to my collection; one I bought, one I received as a gift from a local merchant, and four I made from some old jeans.

I broke four sewing machine needles making the bags, but I no longer have those tired jeans collecting dust. One of the bags is currently housing the materials I need to do the embroidery badges. I used it to carry the purchases I made that day (batting, thread, fabric scraps, buttons, the usual supplies). I keep my bags in the car so I don't forget to take them in the store with me. I have also helped my 5 yr. old daughter start her collection to use with her groceries and other necessities."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I started using vinegar/water to clean just about everything. I also went on-line to search for other homemade, non-toxic cleaners. I visited the library for books on cleaning "green" as well.

We don't buy cleaners from the store now. With the pets in the house, we feel much better about what we clean with. This led me to work on another merit badge in making homemade laundry and dish detergent."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:19:15 AM  Show Profile
Sandie West Clark (#1239) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I'd wanted to make a wood trellis to bridge the gap between my fig tree and camillia bush for some time. So, inspired by the lure of earning a Farm Badge, that got me going.
I went into our back woods and gathered various lengths and thicknesses of wood and brought them to my site. I used my husbands saw when necessary. First, though, I had to purchase four, metal fence stakes, supporting rods to place into the four corners of the trellis. These, with my husbands help, put them into the ground at a good depth to support the four corner pieces. This is where I wired the tallest and thickest of my wood pieces. When they were held on fast to the metal fence stakes I began to add my side wood pieces, cutting to lengths I needed. Then I added the top pieces.

I went to my local gardening shop and purchased a good sized yellow jasimine and placed it in the ground on one end. This has already begun to climb the trellis and I can already see, in my mind, how this will someday look.
It may not win any awards, for sure, but I did it myself. Got a few blisters from using the pliers and wiring on the wood...even wearing gloves! But, it looks great to me and I DID it all by myself (except my husband did help with the metal fence stakes to get them into a good depth into the ground)
I did it, I love it, and it was one thing to cross off my list of things I'd like to see done in my garden!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"I collected wildflowers native to my area, dried them, and added them to my gardening journal with a description of each. I also researched endangered plants in my area. I photographed the ones I could find and downloaded pictures of the others.

The dried flowers really turned out great and it was fun finding out about each flower that I look at every day in my pasture. I must say I look closer each time I see a flower and rush home to research it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have had a compost heap for most of my adult life. It started way back when Mother Earth News came out with it! I told you it was long ago!

It is great to be able to condition my soil organically. I love digging into my dirt & finding earthworms."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I have worn aprons since I was a little girl. I have my mom's old one that I used to wear! I have stitched my own to replace it so I don't wear it out!

I love wearing an apron-it keeps me clean & looking good!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have done embroidery & cross stitch for many years. Some of my daughters room decorations were cross stitch & some of her clothes were decorated with embroidery.

I think it just adds that little something special to an outfit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned to crochet from my grandmother. I started out making doll clothes & graduated to afghans, toys, sweaters, rugs, etc.

I am currently working on a recycle project that uses leftover plastic from the overwrap machine at work-(think bread bag rugs). It makes a great garage rug to catch the dirt!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"My mother tried to teach me to knit but struggled because I was left handed so we took a class from a German woman in my home town. I haven't stopped since.

I have made mittens, baby afghans, washclothes, sweaters, skirt, etc. I am going to tackle socks this year! My friend gave me some wool from her sheep & I am set to go!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I inherited my mom's collection of buttons & have added it to mine. I have probably three gallon jugs of buttons!

I love to make things with button decorations-sweatshirts, crochet necklaces, purses, earrings, quilts etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"In 2008 I was remarried and had to downsize to get everything to fit! Organization was the key!

Now when I need a plastic container and I have one milk crate to go to-after my freezer empties then I have two milk crates to go to but soooooo much easier to find!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I plant extra & take it to our local Teen Challenge ladies house, a nursing home & our elderly at my church.

They are always so appreciative because most of them don't garden anymore or ever!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My husband & I have had chickens since 2007. We love it! They free range most of the time but not when the tomatoes are ripening or they eat all of them!!!

We have plenty of our own eggs & meat. We sell our excess & give some to our church members."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have created a lovely sewing kit which includes scissors, needles (both for sewing and embroidery), pins, many buttons, and several different colors of thread. I made a pin cushion using a quilting technique.

It turned out great. I just used an old tackle box I had laying around and filled it with everything one needs to sew."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Our kitchen contains a complete set of food preparation utensils and simple kitchen tools of all kinds. Probably because we are fairly young-ish we didn't have extras, we have enough but not an overabundance so, there weren't extras to give away.

All is in order and shipshape."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I learned how to sharpen our kitchen knives, and man, they are sharp!

I feel pretty empowered, finally knowing how to use the sharpener in the butcher block full o' knives. It never crossed my mind to use it before for some reason.
My 11 month old -- from a safe distance, never fear! -- loved watching me zing zing zing the knives up against the sharpener, and I think my husband is impressed with my new skill."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Jean McClelland (cjeanjellybean, #1356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have known how to crochet for many years, but I tried out a brand new project, MaryJane's Hexagon, & I made a lovely dishcloth. I have taught my 8 year old daughter how to chain, single crochet, turn, & finish off her work.

My dishcloth turned out almost too pretty to use, so for now it is a table centerpiece! I started it at 11pm & finished it by the afternoon the following day! (I worked on it every time I nursed my baby boy...)
My daughter loves to crochet (I have been working with her for a while now...) So far she has made belts, necklaces, bracelets & even a basic dishcloth. I am currently teaching her how to dc & read a pattern."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"My husband and I have been dreaming for a long time of letting him quit his job for a large company and work from home. Well, the Lord is making that dream come true. We have gradually added several sources of income to our repertoire, which is now named "Baker Natural Agriculture Enterprises." You can find us on Facebook by searching for that name.

So far we are selling organic liquid fertilizer, growing a large garden with that fertilizer, signed up to sell at a farmer's market, and have bought a portable sawmill. We also have a contract to sell all-natural chicken for a small company. All these endeavors dovetail nicely with each other. We're excited about our future!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page