Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Over the last year, I’ve created an inventory of most of my milk bottles along with the price I paid for each. I’ve already stored two large plastic containers of milk bottles, not inventoried, to sell with no real price attached; I just want to be rid of them. My purpose is to downsize my collection, keep only my favorites and start selling the others I’ve inventoried. I created a wish list of three bottles from local and Charleston dairies I don’t have and also a milk glass lamp like I had years ago. I check out antique shops, thrift stores, online stores, and yard sales for these items. So far, I haven’t found any of them but the fun is in the journey!

I’ve learned more about milk bottles, their history, and approximate value since joining a National Bottle Association. I’ve found many milk bottles designs I had no idea existed but not interested in purchasing anything more. I’ve seen massive collections on Facebook that are housed in entire rooms! The EXPERT LEVEL of this merit badge calls for creating a space to display my collection. So far, I have a hanging 8 ft. re-purposed wood shelf (from the old Canadys school house that closed in the mid ‘50’s) in my den that holds numerous bottles, antique jugs, an antique coffee grinder, and my dad’s old lunch box. My Carnation collection (bottles, framed advertisement from the ‘40’s, toy milk trucks) is on another 8ft. hanging shelf in my study. An antique candy display cabinet out of an old local Lightsey Brothers store houses a collection of local South Carolina bottles along with “war bond” bottles. I also have Biltmore items displayed in my dining room along with an old metal milk advertising sign from Lightsey Brothers store. My collection also contains several antique glass butter churns (one that I use), a wooden butter churn, a small green-glass electric churn, two metal milk containers used for hauling the milk to market, a hand-held milker and a milking stool, all are displayed throughout my home. The restaurant creamers are displayed beside my collection of small single serve tea pots in my kitchen. The top of the Hoosier cabinet displays other milk items such as local cardboard milk containers, cottage cheese containers, pottery butter containers, old tin spice containers, and a few milk glass pieces, along with my great grandmother’s punch bowl. My last display shelf, another 8ft repurposed wood board, is ready to be hung just as soon as the trim work is completed in my kitchen. Yes, I have milk bottles, farm animal figurines, an egg basket, my mother’s old grater and sifter, and space for those wish list items ready for placement. Is it any wonder why I have sorted and prepared for down-sizing!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I recently spent an afternoon at my local animal shelter during an adopt-a-thon registration. As a recent inducted volunteer, my job was to certify completion of the registration process and all the paperwork it entails. To the delight of both humans and animals, eight animals were adopted during my Sunday afternoon at the shelter. Afterwards, I rambled around to see the faces of the ones that remained; if I could I would have taken them home with me. All the cats and many of big dogs I’ve owned have been mixed-breed strays, discarded like trash. Over the years, I’ve cared for sickly animals, nursed them back to health, and given those homes and full lives with me. I’ve never regretted owning a mixed breed dog. My purchased full-blooded Chihuahua died in 2015 with the congestive heart problems plagued by that breed. It’s best to learn about the health issues, temperament, and exercise needs relative to specific breeds before purchasing or adopting. So many animals NEED caring homes!

An intact male cat moved into my utility shed several months ago and was not easily accepted by my female cat. “Boots” is scheduled to be neutered and given all shots in December and will return home with me. It seems I don’t have to adopt from the shelter, animals just move in on their own! I now own two cats, a large very elderly female mixed Border Collie/Lab, and another Chihuahua. Lord, please don’t send me anymore! I intend to keep volunteering at the shelter as I advocate the spay and neuter program and micro chipping those fur-babies.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Coutrygirlchrisinabur #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I made a list of 9 UFOs and have them by my recliner in a reusable bag from Tractor Supply Co. I finished my 1st one which was a round crocheted throw pillow for my recliner.

It came out better than I expected.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Mckensey Wise (Mrswise #7733) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“This year I started crocheting as a way to contribute practical things to our household that I normally would spend money on each year buying. My aunt Jackie sat down with me over the summer and showed me some basic stitches. Slip knot, Single crochet and double crochet and how to tie off the ends. My first attempts were very wavy but when I learned how to keep the tension even and eventually I was eager to make lots of scarfs this year for the kids, nieces and nephews!

So far I have created 5 scarves and am ready to try some other projects. My sister just had her third baby at the beginning of September so maybe some baby booties are in order. The picture I have is of the scarf I made for my daughter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile
Mckensey Wise (Mrswise #7733) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“My husband had been asking me to go hunting with him for the first two years we were married. Finally in 2012 I enrolled in an 8-hour hunting safety course at the Athens, Ohio division of natural resources headquarters. We studied the different size ammo, we practices hunter safety with wooden guns and eight hours later I passed my exam!

After I passed my hunters exam in April I bought my first hunters license and my first turkey tag. Going into the hunt I knew turkeys had good eye sight and are difficult to hunt and they proved it! My husband and I will always remember and laugh at my first turkey hunt and the turkey that got away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I altered three favorite family recipes to remove allergens by removing the gluten. The breads had a different texture, but the taste was good. The soups you could not tell a difference in, taste or texture.

I had a wheat allergy as a child which recurred when I was a teenager, so I don't tend to eat a lot of wheat, but a lot of commercial products do contain wheat.

I used one commercial flour substitute (Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1) and one I mixed myself from a recipe out of my Duke's Chowder House cookbook. I used Bob's in the breads, and Duke's in the soups. I will try reversing them and see if I notice any difference. Mostly I found that the breads were heavier and had a grainier texture, the taste was still good however. In the soups, I noticed that it didn't take as long for them to thicken, which was nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“I photo documented 20 (per agreement with Brian) watchtowers, lighthouses, old mines, and other historic locations in your area in a 100-mile radius. (1. Sunrise watchtower, 2. Deringer School 3. Carbonado School 4. Wilkeson School 5. Point Lighthouse 6. Flaming Geyser Park 7. Paradise Outhouse 8. Fort Nisqually 9. Old barn by us [1800's] 10. Fairfax ghost town and mines 11. Port Townsend Victorian homes driving tour, 12. Greenbank Farm 13. Carbonado Mines 14. Lester, WA (ghost town) 15. Fort Casey 16. Fort Flagler 17. Fort Worden 18. Port Gamble 19 .Mt. Constitution Observation Tower 20. Buckley Loggers Museum)

Went overnight camping by the Carbonado river (not a campground).

Learned to use a map and compass to do a little hiking in search of another ghost town in the area.

There are a great many historic areas and buildings where I live. I tried to visit a good sample of what the area has to offer. This state is rich in mining, logging, fishing, and gold rush artifacts and sites. It was very interesting and informative.

I love to camp and go every year. I would go more often if I had the time. Boon-docking is my favorite method.

I had to dust off my map and compass skills, then show my daughter how to do it. Whenever I go hiking I carry a compass and a topo map of the area I am hiking in. You never know when you may have to leave the trail.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Julia Vermeulen (Indigo #351) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I researched the difference between baking soda and baking powder. I was motivated to learn because I had a batch of baking powder biscuits turn out tasting metallic. They looked gorgeous, but they were not yummy.

As I understand it, baking soda is simply sodium bicarbonate which reacts with acids, releasing CO2, creating bubbles, giving rise. These bubbles are given shape when ingredients like eggs firm up during baking.

Baking powder, on the other hand, contains two ingredients that will react to create CO2 at different stages of the baking process. The first when wet ingredients are mixed with dry. The second when it is exposed to heat in the oven. This allows for more rise and more convenience if it takes a little bit to get an item into the oven. One of the common ingredients is sodium aluminum sulfate, which, surprise, can taste like aluminum.

Looking back I realized I had been out of baking soda and put in extra baking powder when I made that batch of biscuits. I will not make that mistake again now that I understand the chemistry. Also I have switched to aluminum free baking powder. Who wants to eat that?

I also made Irish soda bread and banana bread. The Irish soda bread turned out the way I like it: hearty, loaded with raisins and caraway with a texture similar to biscuit. The banana bread used half all-purpose, half wheat bread. It was good. The texture was a little more dense than I prefer. I find that sometimes baking in Florida is a challenge trying to adjust for the humidity and the effects of A/C. But it may also have been that the bananas were wetter or more substantial than other times. I don't weigh ingredients, I just measure so there's room for variation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Ann Gee (#7351) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I am helping a friend put together a quilt. I also made a small wall hanging for Halloween.

My wall hanging turned out very well. My friend is still working on quilt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“Carding is a lot of work. It's so important to get wool that's clean and doesn't have a lot of vegetable matter (VM). Spinning with your fingers does spin the wool, but isn't very efficient. It's good to do this when showing someone what spinning is, letting them appreciate the spindle, and then the spinning wheel. At a historic event, I brought different fibers, wool, Angora, cotton and had some people try to finger spin these different fibers.

Hand carding makes me appreciate sending out a fleece to a processor. We had lots of people stop by at the historic event and watch us, and some tried spinning, especially the kids were interested.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Canning Methods
There are three ways of processing food, the steam method, boiling water bath method, and the pressure canner method:

Steam canning uses a little bit of water which is vigorously boiled to envelope the jars in hot steam to raise the temperature of the jar contents. Most canning books tested their recipes in water bath or pressure canners and converting these recipes to steam canning from other canning methods might allow for under sterilization and unsafe food.

Water bath canning uses boiling water at 220F (or thereabouts, depending on your altitude) to sterilize the jar contents. However, bacteria still thrive at temperatures above 220F, but, lucky for us, they can’t survive in acidic, sweet or salty environments. So, if a food is sweet, salty or sour (e.g. jams, pickles, naturally acidic fruit) then you only have to heat it up to 220 to kill off most of the bacteria, then the sweet, salt or acid keeps the other beasties from metabolizing and spoiling your food. Certain foods like tomatoes and figs, that have a pH value close to 4.6 need to have acid added to them in order to use the water bath method. This is accomplished by adding lemon juice of citric acid. In this method, jars of food are heated completely covered with boiling water (212°F at sea level) and cooked for a specified amount of time

Pressure canning is the only safe method of preserving vegetables, meats, poultry and seafood that are low acid that have a pH of more than 4.6 and because of the danger of botulism, they must be prepared in a pressure canner.

The three jars I had were tomato sauce with meat, jelly, and pickles. The jelly and pickles could be canned using the boiling water method. Canned tomatoes could have used the boiling water method, if they were high acidic tomatoes (alot of the newer varieties of tomatoes are lower acid). Tomato sauce with meat in it, or if it was combined with other low acid foods such as onions, or bell peppers, would need to be done using the pressure canning method. Meat always must be pressure canned.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“When I went grocery shopping I bought 6 reusable bags and used them right away. When I got home I wrote out my commitment to use the bags every time I went to the store. I am also going to use them whenever I shop at any store, not just for groceries.

It turned out well. I explained to the cashier what I was doing and why. I also told them that I was trying to go green as much as possible. They were impressed with me and even thanked me for my efforts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  12:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I contacted the clerk's office in town and talked to them about my options for recycling. I was told that I could not get curbside recycling because I live in the country. They gave me the information needed to dispose of the items I wanted to recycle.

It turned out great! They thanked me for talking to them and asking questions and for my desire to recycle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I researched www.eatwild.com and learned a lot.

I will definitely look into how I purchase my meat and knowing that it also contributes to my carbon footprint makes makes a difference. I will shop locally and ask more questions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  1:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“We started heirloom seeds of sunflowers, dill, and tomatoes and grew them in my garden. We also had a good crop of tomatoes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the movie and have lilac and zinnia in my yard and am planting allium seeds that were given to me from a farmgirl sister.

I'm getting carpenter bees so next year I'm going to rent a bee hive from a local honey dealer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I visited the local library to study some reference books on birds located in Ohio. I also used the computer to research birds native to my area.

Very interesting. I never would have believed the number of birds in Ohio and specifically Northwest Ohio. Some of them are incredibly beautiful and I would just love to see them. I made a list of the birds I would like to see. The list is a bit long but I am certainly going to try to see every one of them that is on the list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I took a meditation class many years ago. I'd shoved it to the back of my mind until I saw the opportunity to earn this badge. I've also practiced deep breathing. I didn't know that relaxation could do so much for my health or that stress could cause so many complications physically. I read through several different kinds of relaxation techniques and found a couple new ones to try. One of them is the visual imagery and the other is progressive muscle relaxation.

It turned out better than I could have imagined. I tried the visual imagery and it was so relaxing. I took myself to a beautiful forest full of wildflowers and a flowing stream. I need to do this more often as I have an unusual amount of stress in my life right now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I contacted the local recycling center to ask them what I could or couldn't recycle. They gave me a list to go by and I have been using it to recycle everything that I can. I've also kept out some coffee cans to make into containers for Christmas cookies. I have a great idea for decorating them.

It turned out great. The people at the recycling center thanked me for my interest and were very helpful. I have very little trash left over at the end of each week. It gives me a good feeling to know that I am helping, even if it is in a small way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I never had a pet as a child. My parents didn't want to bother with the extra cost or have an animal in the way. I did have a pet pygmy goat about nine years ago. He had a cleft pallet and had trouble eating. His legs did not grow right and he died about two years after we got him. I've often thought about getting a dog or a cat from the shelter. I know that there's work involved in the care of any pet. I spent a lot of time with my goat and I think I took very good care of him. I miss having a pet and have been looking in the shelters for just the right one.

It turned out great. It brought back a lot of memories of my little goat that I loved so much. I love animals and have contemplating getting another pet for a couple of years now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I spent time in the home of a woman who is a shut in. I heard about her from a friend who took me to the house to meet her. She gave me a tour of her home and I was shown knick-knacks that were special to her. I also went through her photo albums with her and she told me some wonderful stories about how life was for her when she was growing up. I plan on spending a lot more time with her.

It was a wonderful experience for both of us. She is a lonely woman and enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed hers. She is a lovely woman and I learned a lot from her. The elderly have so much wisdom to share if we will just listen to them. Time went by so quickly for both of us.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  11:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (Lori Beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I continued to spend time with my new friend. I helped her make Christmas cards for her children, bake chocolate chip cookies, and we watched Christmas movies together. I also helped her sort out her closet and reorganize it. I hung pictures of her family on the refrigerator for her so she could spend time looking at them.

It was an amazing time. I love being with her. I know she enjoys the company too. She gets lonely and craves the company. I learned a lot from her about bee keeping as her father used to have his own bees. I'm going to enjoy her as long as I can because she will be in a nursing home soon. Her family told me this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“The most likely emergency we might face is fire. We have had several large fires close by and in the Rim Fire a few years ago, we had a mandatory evacuation and the fire got way too close, but luckily was stopped before it got to us. We also have severe weather, in fact, we had a storm a few days ago that knocked down a 75’ bull pine near the house, last year a flood that took out our main exit to town, and a possibility of earthquakes.

After watching the news about the horrible Camp Fire in Paradise, I decided it was time to really get serious about emergency preparedness. We made a plan on how to keep in touch by having an amateur radio license and radio since cell phones often don't work in emergencies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  12:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We've created a kit of emergency supplies that should last for about a week. Contact cards have been completed. We have ordered supplies to increase to a month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  12:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We've made an emergency evacuation kit in a rolling suitcase that includes freeze-dried food, water filter, necessities, and a radio. We have ordered supplies that have added to our supplies so that the should now be sufficient for a month for “shelter in place”.

We feel better about having emergency supplies and we are scouting out alternative evacuation routes in case the main exit should be unavailable or too crowded. We're also looking into cross country four wheel drive exits.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page