Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  10:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“Having quilted now for decades I have developed many skills, and have well over 50 hours invested in quilting and have taught many more than five friends to quilt! For 2018, in addition to helping a friend make a quilt for her new grand daughter, I have made lap robes for the Quilt Guild to donate to the local nursing home. I also made a raffle quilt for a church Missions fund raiser which was submitted for my Nellie Make-Do badge, plus I made the same pattern in Nellie Make-Do, for a raffle quilt for a local dog rescue group. The photo features the quilt I made for the church Women's Ministry to raffle in 2017. I have made the quilt for the Women's Ministry annual raffle for the past seven years as well as many other raffle quilts or quilts for Auctions.

Quilting has been wonderful! I have made many quilts (raffle & wedding), lap robes, quilted table runners and baby quilts. I have a sewing machine collection, a button collection, a scissor collection and a thimble collection as well as a fabric stash! I am always ready to teach someone to sew or quilt and I am very happy to share my supplies. I am a guild member, I quilt with friends, and I am also co-chair of the church Sewing Ministry.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  10:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have posted a photo of my TBR pile in the chatroom under Earn it! I went to the local library and renewed my library card. The library has many groups: conversational French & Spanish, poetry, writers', knitting, mahjong and a history reading club & tea time club. There are also pre-school story times and book author events. E-reader app is available for audio & e-books and RB digital for magazines. Inter-library loans are also available. The annual funding raising fair is in June (which I have attended many times).

It turned out wonderful! I actually ran into two friends while renewing my library card and plan on signing out a few required books for additional badges.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have continued to replace my regular health and beauty products with products that aren't full of toxic chemicals.

I also made soap! It's a glycerin base with French green clay, matcha, poppy seeds for scrubbiness and scented with essential oils.

It went really well! It was much easier than I thought it was going to be.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Having been sewing for decades now, it seems like my sewing room is one large sewing basket. To earn this badge, I made a sewing basket for the Sewing Ministry sewing room at church. Buttons are not needed for our project, so the basket has many tape measures instead!

The basket turned out great and the sewing team is pleased that supplies are at their fingertips! The Sewing Ministry will celebrate three years in June, so I refill the basket as necessary, i.e., hand needles, rotary cutting blades.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Gae Gundersen-Barry (GGBQuilter #7534) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have been co-chair of the Sewing Ministry at church for three years. Our main focus is on dresses for Dress A Girl Around the world. The back seam of the dress is either serged or a french seam. I have demonstrated french seams and given lessons on the serger. The gals have selected serged seams for the dresses. The dress also requires an elastic casing and bias tape for the arm area. I have taught these steps as well. The project is going well, in three years we have made 300+ dresses!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made my own laundry detergent with a recipe from a friend. I made my own soap and I made a grease-killing all-purpose cleaner that my husband raves about! It really went very well! The laundry detergent lasted much longer than commercial formulations and made my laundry fresh-smelling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have almost entirely stopped using products that don't have recyclable packaging. We don't have glass recycling in our town, so I'm learning how to repurpose glass jars and bottles.

I've learned about how to clean without toxic chemicals, instead, using vinegar, salt, essential oils and other more natural ingredients.

I have committed to using an all-purpose cleaning spray that I made up after reading about natural cleaning products. It's the best for grease!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I learned that our town recycles plastics, cardboard and magazines/catalogs. I called the Citizens Service Center and requested the largest recycling container they could give me.

Now, when I'm cleaning up, I make sure and put the recyclables in the container. No more "oh, I'll get it later!" I put the container right by the door we use the most so it's more convenient to recycle than it is to put it in the trash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have made recycling a part of our lives! So glad to be able to recycle and support our community and planet in this way!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 17 2018 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose to learn French because I recently did a DNA test and it showed that my matrimonial line is descended from the ancient people who made the cave paintings at Lascaux and the Dordogne Valley. I want to visit there someday.

I learned to count to thirty in French and to use greetings with the Duolingo app.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 17 2018 :  10:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“After my parents died, I went through all of their published cookbooks, as well as their personal handwritten recipes - no small feat, given my father's handwriting! I assembled all their recipes in a database.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 17 2018 :  10:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“We share our lives with a lab mix named Kayla. She's seven years old and was originally my oldest son's dog. He couldn't take her with him when he moved out so she stayed with us and we are so glad she did. She likes walks, playing with her toys and pretending to chase her kitty friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“When we moved into our new home, we learned that our new town recycles, and curbside pickup is included in our garbage fees. We usually completely fill our recycling cart, while our regular garbage cart is never full.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  5:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I keep an empty soda can box under the sink to refill with empty cans. We use paper grocery bags to hold our plastic and paper recyclables. When they are full, we bring them out to our recycling cart.

We usually completely fill our recycling cart, while our regular garbage cart is never full.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have been recycling in our home for more than 5 months. Our neighbor thought recycling was too confusing and not worth it for the amount of "easy" recyclables she uses. I helped her set up a bag for just aluminum and paper, because those are simple to identify.

Our recycling cart is always filled. Our neighbor now recycles at least her cans and junk mail.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have gathered 8 reusable shopping bags, more than enough to hold all our groceries for the week. My husband and I have developed the habit of ensuring we bring them. We use our cloth bags, and it's actually easier to bring all our groceries into the house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  5:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Check all taps in your house for leaks and fix any you find.

Done, including the automated sprinkler system

Research and make a list of simple ways to conserve water, like taking shorter showers or collecting in a pail the water wasted before it’s hot or turning off the faucet while you’re brushing your teeth. Estimate the volume amount of water you can save in one week. Have your family implement your plans.

-We keep our watering can near the faucet to collect the warming-up water now. Our son loves using it to water the plants.
-We shower only every other day, since we don't require more frequent showers.
-We turn off the water while we brush our teeth or scrub dishes.
-We have our sprinklers aimed so they don't water the sidewalks or the street.
-When our toilet broke in March I replaced it with a modern low-flow model, which saves a whopping 3 gallons per flush.

ESTIMATED WATER SAVINGS: 100+ gallons/week

We are very conscious of our water usage, which is good since we live in a very arid place. Since most of these ideas are quite simple and require little to no effort, we don't even necessarily notice that we are 'skimping'.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  5:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Rosenberg (nic.rose #7526) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We are a military family that recently moved to a new town. Therefore, we have no family and few friends--nobody our toddler son is comfortable staying with alone. So our "date nights" are game nights at home. We do this, at least, weekly.

Because we have a toddler son, a lot of storytime happens at our house!

We spend quality time together. We have good conversations and make plans. It's a very good system!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (#6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“My son and his fiancee recently went out of town to visit her family and I got to puppy-sit! This is Remi. He's a pit bull mix puppy and the tiniest thing I've held in a good long while! My dog, Kayla, was very interested. It's hard work taking care of an itsy-bitsy puppy! He has to be fed with a bottle and he doesn't like to sleep alone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I researched the Appaloosa horse because that is my favorite horse. Of all the horses I have owned in my over six decades, the Appaloosa was my favorite. Comanche was a registered Appaloosa. He had a red roan blanket with spots and the typical vertically striped hooves, white sclera of the eye, and mottled skin around the eyes, lips, and genitalia. He had a somewhat sparse mane and tail growth compared to our other horses. Like most Appaloosas, he was ridden both Western and English style. Before we purchased him, Comanche was also a show jumper. The Appaloosa’s coloring has always intrigued me. I researched the different patterns and descriptions of each and studied the pictures to increase my knowledge of this breed. I learned significant history about the Appaloosa horse, selective horse breeding by the Nez Perce tribe as early as the 1700’s, the eventual war between the Nez Perce people and the U. S. Cavalry, the almost decimation of the breed and the revitalization of the Appaloosa after many years. My daughter and family now live on the prairie of Fairfield, Idaho; I find it ironic that my favorite horse for many years, the Appaloosa, has such a history in Idaho. The Appaloosa is the state horse of Idaho and the first state to offer a license plate featuring the state horse. I also completed the required reading.

On a recent visit to my daughter in Fairfield, I found a book to read. “The Soul of a Horse” by Joe Camp reached my soul! So much of what he believes and written in his book, I believed for many years. I never understood the shoeing of horses. I never forced a horse to do something he didn’t want to do. With love, affection, and bonding, a horse will do anything. I did learn the technique to begin to grow closer to the paint horse in my field. No, I don’t own him but it bothers me that he is such a loner. I’ve never seen this horse lay down to sleep. He is not a part of the herd. I know now he has never learned to trust! It’s not too late for Spirit. I’ll use my newly gained knowledge to implement change for him. I also learned a lot about alfalfa from this book. An interesting book always gets me thinking, and this proved to be such a book!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“On Saturday, May 5th, our unofficial farmgirl group of five got together for lunch, a bag swap, and a discussion on why we should use bags vs. plastic. What an array a bags I now have! I took reusable cloth bags in various colors I had gotten at a recent Food Service workshop. Because of my love for the beach, I discussed the recent legislation on some beaches that prohibit the use of plastic bags due to environmental consequences to sea life such as turtles, whales, and other fish. Another farmgirl in the group actually crocheted plastic bag strips into a reusable small bag to carry produce home. She took pictures of the plastic bag litter on our nearby Edisto River. My oldest granddaughter sewed colorfully designed bags out of recycled clothing for each of us. She cut cardboard to fit the bottom and made a slipcover that can be removed for washing. She touched on using the resources available to us in place of anything plastic! My fourteen year old granddaughter hand painted flowers on her used, freshly-washed cloth bags. She talked about the ability to easily carry a load in a reusable bag vs. a plastic one and when it gets dirty, just throw it in the washer. My daughter-in-law bought new, coated bags that are very strong, durable, waterproof, and easy to clean by wiping off. She discussed the multiple uses for her strong bags.

We left with new ideas for future bag swaps! We promised to use our bags in place of plastic ones and if plastic bags come into our homes (you know men), those bags will be recycled. Because we are all nature lovers, we agreed on the issues plastic bags pose to the environment. We also have ideas to educate the public about our concerns.

P.S. We also discussed a name for our farmgirl chapter if I can get the others to register!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  11:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (sabrinafaire #6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I made a body butter for my friend using cocoa butter, beeswax, avocado oil and Tamanu oil. I also made her an aromatherapy inhaler for stress, a scrubby soap, and a roll-on perfume.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2018 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (#4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Last year we raised 20 chickens: the Cross Cornish mixed male and female. We butchered them ourselves and they were quite delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  09:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Marsha Jaramillo (Marjean #308) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I spend more than 10 hours a week with my Mother on a weekly basis. I take her to garage sales and other errands she likes to do. I get her expert gardening advise and tips to help me with my organic garden.

She looks forward to our weekly adventure of going to garage sales. It is giving us both the needed exercise and fresh air as well as sunshine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Marsha Jaramillo (Marjean #308) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“My Mother has written her life story down and has now given me the task of typing it up. Wow! what a adventure this is going to be. She comes over every Sunday and I prepare a meal for her along with my husband and I. We enjoy many hours of good conversation.

I'm finding more easy recipes that I can make for her and my husband that are good for their health issues. They are enjoying all of the variety I come up with each week.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page