Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  3:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read Blogging for Creatives: How Designers, Artists, Crafters and Writers Can Blog to Make Contacts, Win Businesses and Build Success by Robin Houghton. Then, I decided that I wanted to start a blog for my piano students and their families.

To be honest, I was not excited to read the book, because I have little interest in the subject matter- or so I thought. I found the book to be very interesting, and it actually jump-started a desire within me to participate more in the online world. One of my favorite pieces of advice from the book is to write out a schedule of what you want to post and when. I think that I will be more apt to stick with blogging if I have a plan laid out before me. Thanks, MJF, for recommending this book and coming up with this merit badge.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  3:29:12 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“Using the Blogger platform, I started a blog for my piano studio. I have posted some practice tips and method reviews, created a page with our studio calendar and student schedule, and included links to my favorite music resource sites. Due to concerns for my students’ privacy, I chose to make the blog available only to my students’ families and have not added the blog to GirlGab.com.

This is a fun way to communicate with my students, and I think they like the opportunity to get on the computer. I look forward to adding recital pictures and other pages to the blog.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I downloaded a tree identification guide from state.sc.us/forest website.
Because I am a native of SC and an "outdoor" woman, I am very aware of the trees around me. I only had to walk out my back door this morning to identify three native trees to South Carolina.

A huge Sweetgum tree with its copper-colored balls stands tall near the wood line of my property. It is considered a nuisance tree by many but not to me. Birds and other wildlife eat the balls. What remains on the ground eventually decomposes. Yellow Pine fill the wooded area. The very tall trunk are indicative of this native tree as is the resinous sap. The third tree I identified was the Live Oak. The Live Oak is the tree seen in most Southern-made movies. It has sprawling branches, leaves that clutter the ground every spring before producing the new growth, and small acorns for wildlife to eat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“I wish I had taken a picture of my small but beautiful garden! I purposely planted more than I can use to give to the elderly lady next door. When I was raising my children on a limited income, she and her husband always gave me vegetables out of their garden. Now it is my turn to return the giving. I delivered extra zucchini and yellow crookneck squash to her yesterday. Next week, I will share the first of the tomatoes and soon there will be fresh corn, onions, and green beans.

Although I plan to can some of the extras out of my garden, I have to remember my next door neighbor, Ruby. She is a widow now in her late eighties and not in good health. After several strokes, she is unable to tend a garden. She is so very excited every time I share produce with her. She knows there will eventually be canned homemade vegetable soup for the winter. I prefer to give back to her; I know where my produce is going and she is in need this time of her life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  3:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I purchased my first milk bottle from a yard sale about 38 years ago. The elderly man told me the bottle was delivered to his house for the children in the 1940's. Childhood memories flourished. Born in 1952, I was raised on Carnation Evaporated Milk! I remembered the milkman delivering milk in bottles to my aunt across the road in 1962. It was cold, delicious and creamy milk! I also remembered my mother once had milk bottles in a shed that had been thrown out, so I paid the $1.50 and brought the bottle home for her. My mother was excited but insisted that I keep it and start my own collection; she would even sometimes bring a milk bottle home for me. I haven't spent much money over the years. Some of the bottles still have purchase tickets inside. Little did I know where this would lead, collecting anything MILK related! It all started with a 3 cent deposit bottle!

I am still learning about the history of milk bottles. I belong to a milk bottle collectors' group and plan to attend the convention next summer. I read articles on the internet and have made friends who also collect. My bottle collection stands at about one hundred fifty now. I've been cleaning part of my collection today, boxing bottles I want to sell, and wrapping a few to give away. More on that later. Some of my bottles are priceless to me; the cream top bottle from Chevy Chase my mother's friend gave. She and my mother had lived there during WWII and she had returned home with the bottle. Yes! My collection reminds me of a slower time in life; a time with the sweetest, freshest milk I ever drank! Just a note, I'm excited to share pictures in the Intermediate and Expert Level!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“The first thing to do when planning a windbreak is to decide what purpose it will serve. Shade, wind protection, fruit and nut production, protection from drifting snow, containment of animals, shelter for wild life, shielding living spaces from obnoxious noise and even odors. In my case, I wanted my property shielded from the fire station next door. The trees help to block the noise, provide privacy, and shelter and food for the birds. I also recently planted azaleas on both sides of the line of trees to keep vehicles from crossing over my property during voting days. The American Holly tree provides a good windbreak and property line for me. The red berries provide food for the birds; the dense foliage provides cover for nesting and raising their young. The foliage also provides decoration for Christmas.

There is a park close to where I work. It’s a great place to relax and to eat lunch. Recent construction has removed some of the loblolly pines but a few remain. Southern Magnolia, with it’s huge fragrant blossoms, grows in the park. Leland Cypress has recently been planted. These trees are all native to South Carolina.

My windbreak is very useful as noted previously. I researched trees and bushes to plant that were indicative to South Carolina and would provide for wildlife in my yard. My windbreak has also provided beauty to my community!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  4:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I lost quite a bit of kitchen supplies after a family misfortune. Up to now I've been making do but this merit badge helped to start over. I've made my list of needed supplies and it's relatively short. First up was a cast iron skillet. Oh how I'd missed my old one. Next is a Dutch oven. My wish is a food dehydrator!

A work in progress but I'm so glad that I now have focus to overcome the difficult memories.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  4:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made a trellis for my peas using stakes and fence wire. For my bean teepee, I used tree branches.

The wind blew my teepee down once. Hopefully, I have it secured now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  5:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I made chips from sweet potatoes that had been grown organically.

I tried with different seasonings. I liked the brown sugar best.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“As all my older generation is gone, I sat down with my son and his daughter and talked to them about what I remember of my early childhood. The things that we didn't have when I was 10 years old that Kayleigh takes for granted.

She was amazed that I had grown up, I think.
We'll do it again I'm sure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (Kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I've been growing a vegetable garden for years and have always done so without chemicals. I have several seed starts ready to be planted after the snow goes away!For pest control, I try to pick off squash bugs and stay on top of weeds that get into the gardens. I'd like to start using some other types of control, all chemical free, of course! I just finished reading "Montrose: Life in a Garden" and particularly enjoyed the bits and pieces about the cats and the day to day life in the garden. The illustrations were beautiful!

It turned out great! I love gardening and feeding my family fresh produce!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner and Intermediate Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“Applying for both beginner AND intermediate.

It's garden time here so I took note of the bugs I found while turning my garden, and watering my containers.

The bad bugs:
Bertha Army-worm cocoons
Aphids
Leaf Hoppers
Spittlebug eggs
Earwigs

Good bugs:
Honey bees (not many yet)
Bumblebees
Lacewings
Ladybugs

Yellowjackets are kind of good but also bad. So they belong under ugly (lol).

One way I control the army-worm cocoons, which live in the soil, is just to unbury them. I take it a step further by tossing them onto the garden path. If the cold doesn't kill them the crows will. I control earwigs and ants by sprinkling diatomaceous earth around my plants. Some ant colonies keep and herd aphids (like humans with milk cows), and the ants 'milk' a sugary substance from the aphids. So getting rid of the ants can help get rid of aphids.

When I need to get rid of aphids I mix in a spray bottle full of water: 1 tsp baking soda, a drop of dish soap, 10 drops of lavender oil, and 10 drops of tea tree oil. I've been using this recipe for a few years, and it also helps roses with fungal infections. The smell of tea tree oil also seems to bother the leafhoppers, who spread disease.

The only hard part about controlling pests is remembering to keep up the treatments. Also, because I rent my raised beds, I have to pay attention to my garden's health; because if someone's garden bed is neglected, the bugs (and diseases) will easily spread to the other garden beds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  2:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner and Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Applying for beginner AND intermediate.

I found a list of native birds that live in the temperate rainforest region of Oregon. I kept my wishlist realistic and chose birds that I would most likely see in my area.

I bought a finch food sock but I'm saving it till the rainy reason ends, but I did make 2 different bird feeders using peanut butter on paper towel rolls and pine cones, then I'd roll them in bird seed.

The birds I saw: Pine Siskin, Gold Finch, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Black-capped Chickadee, Blue Jay, Anna's Hummingbird, Rufous Hummingbird, American Robin, Canadian Geese, Rock Pigeons, and Band-tailed Pigeon. We also have common Crows and a Mourning Dove in the neighborhood, but I won't count the dove because I've only heard them and haven't seen them!

The hardest part was trying to take a picture of these birds, as soon as I got my camera they'd fly away! So I didn't get many pictures. I'm sure my cat, who follows me like a dog, didn't help anything.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  2:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner and Intermediate Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“Going for Beginner AND Intermediate.

I learned the difference between a star and a planet. Stars stay in a fixed position, while planets will slowly move to a new position each night. Also learned about degrees of arc and how to measure them.

The brightest objects that I could see where Venus, Jupiter, and Mars. The only others stars that catch my attention is the eye of the Bull constellation and Orion's Belt.

I kept a log by marking my calendar, and to be honest, most of the days are cloudy. That's what happens when you have an 8 month rainy season.

There closest I've had to a stargazing event was driving with my dad and I would show him which stars were planets. We also got to see when Venus and Jupiter were right on top of each other, which happened in August 2016. I also found Orion and the Bull constellations in November 2016. Orion and the Dippers are the only constellations I know by heart.

Because my area has such a long rainy season, I chose to work longer than required, to make up for those nights when you couldn't see the night sky. I had a picture of Orion, but I must have deleted it by mistake.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  3:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (Kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“Outpost: Rocks and Minerals: Rocks are made up of minerals which are solids that have a single, definite chemical composition. Rocks can be made up of multiple minerals and other organic matter.

The three types of rocks are sedimentary (you can see the different parts of the rocks), metamorphic (created underground by pressure and heat so it looks like its one solid particle), and
Igneous (from cooled lava).
Rocks and minerals are useful in things such as roads, brick, and making metals stronger, health benefits, beauty products, and a multitude of other things!

This was helpful! I teach about rocks and minerals but still learned more when researching!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I learned the basic embroidery stitches and did a sampler.

Since I hate doing samplers, it turned out medium.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  10:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I completed the day of the week patterns on tea towels.

They turned out better than I thought. I thought using fabric with it would be difficult but it turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  10:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I have a tree identification guide for Virginia. The trees in and around my yard are White Pine, Sour Cherry, Hemlock, Spruce, and Sumac.

All but the cherry trees are native to my area of Virginia. The cherry tree was introduced into America.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I joined Weight Watchers and have logged my food for a month. I am down 12.6 lbs. I also have my fitbit linked to their app so I get to see the benefit of all my movement. The two encourage me to move more.

I can do it if I put in the time and energy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  11:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I wrote letters of gratitude to the county sheriff, the volunteer fire and rescue squad that works our area of the county, and the county commissioner. I wrote a letter to the editor expressing my views on these agencies. I am also a little over three quarters of the way of Book of Awesome.

It was a satisfying exercise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  12:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“This is rather a large topic. However, I am excited to tackle and tell you how this merit badge went.

First, the atmosphere is made up of several layers: the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, ionosphere, and exosphere. Closest to Earth is the troposphere. Most of the clouds you see in the sky are found in the troposphere, and this is the layer of the atmosphere we associate with weather. Extending up to 10 miles above Earth's surface, the troposphere contains a variety of gases: water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and others. These gases help retain heat, a portion of which is then radiated back to warm the surface of Earth.

Above the troposphere is the stratosphere, which includes the ozone layer. The stratosphere extends from about 10 to 30 miles above the surface of Earth. Ozone molecules, which are concentrated in this layer, absorb ultraviolet radiation from the Sun and protect us from its harmful effects.

Thirty to 50 miles above the surface is the mesosphere, the coldest part of the atmosphere. Above the mesosphere, in a layer called the ionosphere (also called the thermosphere), things start to heat up. Temperatures in the ionosphere, which extends about 50 to 180 miles from the surface of Earth, can reach up to several thousand degrees Fahrenheit. Beyond the ionosphere is the exosphere, which extends to roughly 500 miles above the surface of Earth. This is the outermost layer of the atmosphere, the transition zone into space.

I learned all of this from when my son was Homeschooled. Luckily, I still have his Science book!

As for pressure, I have always been understood it that high pressure is generally associated with nice weather, while low pressure is generally associated with cloudy, rainy, or snowy weather.

A Barometer is an instrument measuring atmospheric pressure, used especially in forecasting the weather and determining altitude. I remember making one with my son many years ago. This is a great activity to do with a young child. Easy too. Many weblinks can teach you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah8F-xmvB2k

Now onto fronts...

With a cold front, a colder air mass is replacing a warmer air mass. A warm front is the opposite affect in that warm air replaces cold air. There is also a stationary front, which, as the name implies, means the boundary between two air masses does not move.

This is what causes humidity or colder weather.

Believe it or not weather can be rather interesting to learn about. Here is a great link for that.

https://weather.com/news/news/fun-facts-about-weather-20120815#/1

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“April Showers Bring May Merit Badges!

On to Clouds. Now I am not talking about the computer cloud and how data is stored but a less nerdy natural pastime. Yep. My head is in the clouds! Heck, Who doesn't love laying in the grass looking at clouds and making up a story!

Clouds form when the invisible water vapor in the air condenses into visible water droplets or ice crystals. There is water around us all the time in the form of tiny gas particles, also known as water vapour. There are also tiny particles floating around in the air - such as salt and dust - these are called aerosols.

Here are the types of clouds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cloud_types

My favorite is the Cumulonimbus! The thunderstorm cloud! This web link has some great photos!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/clouds/cloudwise/types.html

This week and all day tomorrow will be Nimbostratus! Yep.. Rain Rain and more Rain. I am not complaining! A great day to stay indoors and read a book and maybe play a game with the family!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  12:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“My son and I really enjoyed driving around the back roads in West Virginia looking for different types of horses. Most in our area are Thoroughbred since many in our area have race horses.

We did however find a few American Quarter horses and one Appaloosa. The Appaloosa was much calmer and friendly. I think this was because it had been rode often and the owners have a great understanding of their horses.

After we spoke to the owners, I called the next day and booked a four hour trail ride. More on that soon!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  1:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I first became interested with this merit badge after reading an article about Rose Quartz. In the article it talked about how having this near one's bed will help you sleep better at night. Therefore, what a great opportunity to learn about rocks and minerals.

So what is the difference between rocks and minerals? A mineral is a naturally occurring, inorganic solid with a definite chemical composition and a crystalline structure formed by geological processes. A rock is an aggregate of one or more minerals whereas a rock may also include organic remains and mineraloids. Ok, mineraloids sounds like something of a disease. Yet, it is actually a mineral-like substance that does not demonstrate crystallinity.

The physical characteristics of minerals include traits which are used to identify and describe mineral species. These traits include color, streak, luster, density, hardness, cleavage, fracture, tenacity, and crystal habit.

Geologist classify rocks into three basic groups based on how they were formed in nature.

The types of rocks are:

Igneous (Serpentine)
Sedimentary (Shale)
Metamorphic (Slate)

So what the heck do we do with rocks and minerals? We use things made from rocks and minerals every day. It is estimated that every person in the United States will use more than three million pounds of rocks, minerals and metals during their lifetime.

During the stone age we used rocks as tools and it is good to imagine the flintstones. However, our use of rocks and minerals have expanded with our knowledge. This is very clear with not only medicine but with computers. Here is a great website.

http://www.rocksandminerals.com/uses.htm

So no matter if you sleep with a rock or are looking at your watch. Rocks and minerals are very important. I really enjoyed learning about them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  1:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Five herbs and their uses:

1. Rosemary--can be used as a rub for pork or crushed and sprinkled over pork and potatoes.
2. Oregano (Greek)--added to spaghetti sauce, pizza, and pasta dishes.
3. Flat-leaf Parsley--added to pasta dishes, salads, or as a garnish. Swallowtail butterflies love this herb!
4. Chives--chopped for additions to salads, meat-filled sandwiches, or to hot, baked potatoes!
5. Lavender--a beautiful herb with so many uses i.e. sprigs added to sweet lemonade, dried leaves for sachets, flowers added to homemade jellies, a great bee and butterfly pollinator.

I grow most of these herbs in pots outside on my deck and use them all as described. The flat-leaf parsley usually lasts about two years; I will need to replant on Saturday. Lavender is one of my favorites! In the South, everything taste better really SWEET! Lavender cuts both the sweetness and acidity in lemonade and gives it a whole new flavor on a hot,summer day. I made lemonade last night, added twigs of lavender, and placed in the refrigerator to get really cold for tomorrow's work day. Saturday is another planting day for additional herbs; more on that later for the Intermediate Level.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page