Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I made a list of things I did not have but had heard of. As I went through my drawers and cabinets, I boxed up duplicates. My family went through them and took some of it. The rest I took to Goodwill. I can find things easier and have a well stocked kitchen.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I decided to do some research on the Friesian horse. They are the only horse breen native to the Netherlands. Because of their size and strength, they were originally used as war horses and carrying knights into battle. Cross breeding throughout the years caused the Friesian to become almost extinct by the turn of the 20th century. At this time there were only 3 stallions left in Freisland.

The fuel and food shortages of WWII encouraged the Dutch farmers to return to horsepower and a new breed society was formed in 1954. The society has stringent rules for their horse registration process.

The Friesian is always black, with a long, silky mane and tail and feathering on its lower legs. It also has no prominent withers, so its height is measured on a specific vertebrae.

Besides having been used for farmwork, they are popular for pulling carriages and working under a harness. They are becoming especially popular for dressage work because of their docileness and willingness to learn.

I also read Joe Camp's book, "The Soul of a Horse." I absolutely loved it!! This man has a true gift for communicating with and understanding horses.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Because I have been raised with horses all of my life, I have been involved with the daily care of them. I had heard of Equine Outreach, a wonderful facility in our area. I did a little more research into what they do.

Their main goals are to rescue, rehabilitate and adopt horses into loving homes...horses that have either been, abused, neglected or just unwanted. They have many ways to help...volunteering, donating time and resources, etc.

Our farm was asked if we could donate hay to their ranch and we did. I'm glad we could help out in that way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I continued to read The Book of Awesome for the next month. I also wrote letters of thankfulness to our local hospital ER staff, our ambulance staff, sheriff's office, fire station and local safety office with our state military.

I also wrote a letter to one of our local papers on being grateful...how changing our attitude to one of gratitude can change the world's negativity and make it and our communities a happier place to live.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I finished The Book of Awesome. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it...it makes you appreciate the little things in life and how we need to celebrate them! I also wrote over 40 letters to all sorts of people in my life...friends, family, old teachers...who I just wanted to either say thank you or just that I appreciated them and/or what they had done for me in the past. Instead of writing a thank you to my local government in applying for my Intermediate badge, here I sent a letter to both our new US president and Vice president.

I sent a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle...I'm not really sure why I picked that particular national newspaper...it just kind of called to me! I expressed the same thoughts in it that I did in my local newspaper letter. When I started this project, I really thought I would have a hard time writing to so many people and expressing my feelings and gratitude..but once I got going, it wasn't hard at all!

I'm thinking it might be a nice idea to send a random note about once a week or every 2 weeks to someone who might need a pick me up or needs to be shown some appreciation for what they do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“The influential woman I decided to research is Tulsi Gabbard. Tulsi Gabbard is a Democratic US representative from Hawaii. She was born in American Samoa. Her family moved to Hawaii when she was two. She was home schooled for most of her life. In 2003 she enlisted in the Hawaii National Guard and the following year volunteered for a 12 month tour in Iraq. In 2009 she graduated from Hawaii Pacific University with a degree in business administration. She has been a US representative since 2013.

What set her apart for me was the recent trip that she had to Syria. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this fact-finding mission. I love that she went anyway, knowing that some people wouldn't approve. There are so many conflicting stories about Syria and she went to find out first hand what was happening from the Syrians that are still there. She brought back hours of footage and interviews with real people telling their stories. I respect her greatly for putting real stories out there to try to find some way to peace.

I did not find a biography written about Tulsi. I have watched much of the footage that she brought back from Syria and I would highly recommend that others watch it as well to get a feel for what's truly happening there.

As I researched her I learned that as with most politicians there are some things I agree with her on and some things I don't. Regardless of the things I disagree with her about, she seems to have a desire for the truth and a heart for peace. We absolutely need more people like her in government.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected six (and more than six!) bags to use for shopping. Now we use them all the time for our grocery shopping trips!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I dreamed about my business, chose a name, and put it under my pillow. My mentor (Mom) taught me how to write a business plan using http://bizkids.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Kids-Business-Plan.pdf.

After deciding what I'd like to do, I presented my business plan to my Father and he approved it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I researched how to set up an Etsy business and set up my home page. I transferred money from my savings to buy sewing fabric and necessary items. I printed off business cards. I had to learn about fees, shipping options, etc.

It was nerve wracking to put all that work in wondering if anyone would place an order, but it was great practice for future online endeavors.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  4:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I launched my business on Etsy! You can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ProvidentWoodsFarm

It has been wonderful so far! I've made plenty of sales, received two 5-star reviews and been asked to create a custom order for a new product. I am learning more every day and appreciate having a way to create income from our family's homestead.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  5:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I Read Blogging for Creatives by Robin Houghton and chose my topic (photography). I learned how to create a blog and how to personalize and customize it for photography. I discovered other blogs that gave me design inspiration!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  5:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I started my blog (dassahphotography.blogspot.com) and published my first post. I also added it to Girl Gab (Photography Phun), under my mentor/Mom's name, Heidi Schaap. I loved blogging and it was fun to write those first few posts and learn the ins and outs of Blogspot!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  5:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I added pictures and customized my blog, and also published more than 10 posts. (I'm currently up to 65!) I network by visiting other photography blogs and leaving comments - and asking those photographers to guest posts and interviews on my blog.

It has been tremendously fun. I've developed my writing skills, and been challenged to take photos almost daily so I have fresh content for the blog. (I'm trying to post 3 times a week at this point.) I'm always finding new photography blogs and now use them for inspiration for my own. :) You can find my blog at dassahphotography.blogspot.com

I've also made new friends with other bloggers whose blogs I follow. It is a wonderful little world!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  3:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I made a list of what we needed to make the kitchen fully functional, then added them to my kitchen - a new pressure canner and a dehydrator. Had to order the fruit leather trays and they just came in the mail. Also got a hand wheat grinder and a "coffee" grinder to grind up roasted dandelion roots!

Now that the cupboards are cleaned out and we have all the gadgets we wanted, my daughter-in-law now wants to paint the kitchen (a pretty wine color) and get new curtains. We should be ready when Spring finally arrives!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  3:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I kept a food journal (2 months now) and enjoyed reading Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral." I sprouted wheat berries for bread, we are eating more fruits and veggies, and I finally got off the artificial sweeteners! We now use stevia or honey.

The more I read and study the more amazed I am about today's food sources!

I quit eating at fast food places! I enjoy making our food from scratch and just discovered a market that sells local beef, lamb, bison, and chicken. (We have our own chickens and eggs.)
Planning a bigger garden with heirloom plants this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“Have been converting to organic foods since New Years! Started with the fruits - bananas, lemons, limes, oranges, grapes and apples. Cost is a little bit more but well worth it.

I love the taste of the organics, but I think I get more pleasure out of knowing that I'm not putting poisons into my body! My family loves them too and I'm educating them as I continue to learn more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I have been learning cake-decorating basics from Wilton. I have done basic cakes before, but one of my Grand=daughters is getting married in July and needs help. We priced the cost of a small cake and 400 cupcakes - they wanted $600! I told her I could do for the cost of ingredients, so now I HAVE to get better!

I've been practicing for my son's birthday and 2 grandson's birthdays (all in February :-) ), so I should be ready for the Intermediate level by July!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I gathered up all the family recipes. My mom passed away two years ago and I've been wanting to get her recipes down on paper. I found several she had submitted to our church cookbook and got the rest from my Aunt Irene.

My four daughters are glad I'm doing this and they can't wait for their copies! My mom made the best homemade noodles! We have a recipe for Sweet Potato Surprise that I will have to post on the Chatroom, I've never seen it in any cookbook and I know it has been in the family for at least 5 generations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I have been baking since I was about 12 years old. I can't believe I am just now learning how baking soda and baking powder work! (I'm 61) Lately I have been seeing recipes that use both and I never understood why, now I do. I made Blueberry snack cake, baking powder biscuits, and Double Choc. Zucchini bread.

I've discovered that I like organic unbleached flour over the regular white flour and that my hand ground wheat flour makes everything much heavier. I've taken to mixing the wheat half and half with the white.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“Isn't Google wonderful?! I researched the common food allergies and statistics. Found out that there are 160+ foods that cause allergic reactions and there is no cure for them. 90% of reactions are from the top 8: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy.

I am allergic to peppers, my daughter-in-law can't have onions or garlic, my daughter has developed an intolerance to wheat, and a grandson is lactose intolerant. He loves ice-cream too, but then he throws up! These items are in a lot of products at the store, so I always check the labels for hidden allergens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“We did some research and found several recipes for homemade shampoo, and flea and tick repellants. My favorite is blending an orange, lemon, lime, and a clove of garlic. It smells so good! Sure beats the expensive brand at the pet store. We have all of our pets spayed or neutered. The dogs love the homemade recipes. We have four German Shepherds, so any money we can save really helps.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have 15 laying hens. (Started out with 18, but a hawk was killing them.) I finally learned how to butcher a chicken! One of my friends showed me how to do it without the boiling water - just butcher them like we do the rabbits! So much easier.

I feed my girls organic grain and they free range for insects and have pasture.

We have enjoyed the large brown eggs and good meat that we know is healthy. My son wants to add Russian meat rabbits this year and we are doubling our flock to include a heritage breed. (Right now we have a hybrid - Golden Comets.)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  4:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I know how to identify about 30 herbs. I use parsley a lot to dress up dishes I prepare. My other favorites are sage, rosemary, and lemon thyme. The family seems to eat more when the food looks as good as it tastes!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I took a class at Mohican Outdoor School on weather. It was sponsored by NASA and the National Science Foundation. We learned a lot about weather, checked out the instruments in a weather station, and even made our own barometers out of a canning jar, balloon, and a toothpick. I enjoy checking it at home everyday!

I am more aware of my local weather now. It is interesting to see how close my predictions are to the professionals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“Well, I did already knew what a root vegetable is, but it was fun to do a little research.

I love carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes, and russet potatoes, but I have never eaten a turnip or a rutabaga! Since I am starting this in the middle of winter, all of the root veggies at Kroger (Smith's out west) are from Mexico or California. They didn't even have turnips or rutabagas in stock the day I went. I was surprised by what was available in the middle of January! (It gave me a chance to check on all the organic produce too.)”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page