Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I needed to
•Gather your family’s favorite and well-loved recipes. Talk to your grandparents, parents, and aunts and uncles.
•If any are not written down, write them down now!

I must admit that this may seem like an easy badge to earn but it is difficult for me. The reason for this is because I do not like cooking, I do not know how to cook very well, and the truth is it makes me feel a bit sad to cook. There is an old saying that the heart of the family home is in the kitchen. For my biological family the kitchen consisted of terrible fighting and it was just not a happy place. After I was removed from my biological family and placed into foster care, most of the kitchen areas in the homes that I lived in were off limits and hired cooks made our meals. My favorite cook was named Ada. She would sometimes sneak Andy and me a treat if we hung out by the kitchen door. Now she was a good cook. I still have never had red beans and rice or sloppy joes that matched hers.

My husband’s mother passed away when he was a teen. Our first married meal was hotdogs on top of baked beans with cheese on top. I sorta laugh at this because we also had rice which clogged up the sink and I added liquid joy to the dishwasher. Needless to say we had very clean floors. After a while, I was lucky to have my husband’s great aunt Ruby Harman send me her personal collection of recipes. I just found them a few weeks ago. It was at this point that I had a warmth in my heart to give cooking a try again. I also want to give a bit of credit to several bloggers like:

Dolly at Hibiscus House
Dragonfly Home Recipes
Old Fat Guy Cooking
Sams Place

Oh and let’s not forget The MaryJanesFarm Magazine! I am really looking forward to making some of Aunt Ruby’s dishes. I miss her and Uncle Woody. They were such a comfort to my husband and I when we were living overseas. As I look at her recipes, I was a bit tickled to see how she added notes in the corners. Some of her handwritten notes say, favorite, easy, and special dinner. I also found my father in law’s favorite cookbook. He gave us this cookbook with his ice cream recipe before he passed away.

This was a heartfelt badge in a way because it brought back nice memories that in a way heal the negative memories that I had as a child. So I am grateful to whoever thought about creating this opportunity. Now, I have a list to make for the market!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I'm applying for all 3 levels.

Beginner: Where I live we are susceptible to earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires, landslides, but especially floods. Most people who live near the flood areas build their houses on stilts! The included picture isn't a lake, but someone's field (taken this year). Floods are common from fall to spring, and usually not a big deal. But we are still at risk for severe flooding.

The safest thing to do, based on where I live is to stay home. But in a worse case scenario, the closest high ground is a near walk away.

Intermediate:
I have prepared a 72 hour kit that fits under my plant table. It includes freeze dried food, water, large first aid kit, sleeping bag, and mini camp stove.

I also went online and printed Oregon's Emergency Passport; a little booklet that has all of your emergency information. I put one with both of my 72 hour kits, one in my car, and one near my front door. I went to the E.R. by ambulance once, I was so sick I couldn't speak, but I had my emergency booklet with me, which gave the doctor everything he needed. Definitely a life saver to have one!

Expert:
I bought a framed backpack and made another 72 hour kit, incase I needed to evacuate my home. I also bought a one person tent and small tarp that fits inside the bag. I keep a list of supplies just inside the backpack, it tells me exactly what I have, what part of the back it's located, and expiration dates.

I think it's also important to note that I put 3 different fire starters in the kit: flint and steel, lighters, and matches in a waterproof container. Living in a temperate rainforest; you are very susceptible to hypothermia, especially if you get wet! So knowing how to make a fire is important. Also included a hand crank radio/ flashlight.

As for keeping extra in home supplies, I keep extra water, and other supplies in my shed. I just went through my supplies and rotated things that needed replacing. I also added a couple of industrial trash bags to my backpack. Rain poncho or tarp anyone?”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  4:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I participated in my second Relay for Life 5k. I had a lot of fun and plan on participating in more. I seem to have more energy and love to walk. I just finished my second 5K with a better time than the first 5K.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“We have always had outdoor dogs and cats but right now, just have one cat. We have a wonderful vet in town that we use when needed. Simba is pretty low maintenance! Our horses have a wonderful large animal vet that we have had for the past 30+ years. I'm not sure what we will do when he decides to retire soon...but will have to find one with the same practices as he.

I did some research into what you DON'T want to find in your pet food ... unhealthy grains and fillers, unspecific proteins, harmful food colorings, chemicals and thickeners.

I did a little research into Simba's cat food. We have always fed a certain brand of store bought cat food ... he seems to really like it and is healthy...healthy coat, he's never sick, etc.

I was REALLY surprised by how many of the BAD things were in this particular cat food! I think that we can do better for Simba!

I went into the local PetCo and had a lengthy discussion with the head of their food department. She explained different kinds of whole proteins and grains that were more healthy than what he has been eating. She sent several samples home with me to see what he might enjoy.

We tried all of the samples out and found one that I will be buying next week when I am back in town now that he is out of the old food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“We have always had our pets spayed or neutered, just as soon as they are of age. Because we adopted Simba from an animal shelter, he was already neutered.

Simba is an outside farm cat so he has several different places he likes to sleep, whether it's in the barn or the granary or in the loft of the shed. We've made sure that his beds are warm with old blankets, etc. and that he always has a place in out of the weather.

The only products that I use on Simba are wormer, when necessary, as he loves to catch all kinds of mice and other treasures. Our vet makes sure that he gets the proper kind and dosage for that. A fellow farm sister just shared a recipe for a non toxic flea repellent that I will keep on hand in case we need that, but I have never known him to have fleas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I started reading "The Book of Awesome" by Neil Pasricha the beginning of January and writing in a gratitude journal every day for the month of January.

Neil's book is pretty funny! I enjoy his sense of humor and his ability to see the blessings in the small, day to day things in life. No matter what your day brings, there is always, always something to be grateful for!

I will continue reading his book for the intermediate level of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“Our church's food bank was in sad need of reorganization. They decided that we would merge with another local church that had a thriving food bank already established. They were looking for volunteers to help. I decided that this was something that I wanted to help out with.

I met with the volunteer leader at the food bank and went through a short training. I learned how to register customers, keep the bookwork in order, "shop" with the customers, stock shelves, do freezer inventory and put together emergency food bags.
I kept track of the days and hours that I worked throughout the summer and fall. It has been a great experience for me...it has opened my eyes to some real needs in my community. I have met some gracious people and heard some interesting life stories from our customers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I continued to work at our local food bank throughout the fall and winter, keeping track of my days and hours. I learned more from the volunteer leaders about training new volunteers and also about government regulations and keeping in line with those. For instance, something that I thought was kind of ridiculous at first, but all brown grocery bags used for shopping in the food bank have to be NEW. So many people want to share their bags and recycle but we cannnot accept them. There are a lot of regulations that have to be followed. There is a lot of organization going on behind the scenes, as well, to keep the food bank running smoothly. There are different teams that do different jobs...those guys who pick up groceries at the warehouses each week, those who pick up food at the local stores each week, the ladies who do the paperwork and keep the volunteers organized and those who run the bank helping the customers.

In addition to the first 10 hours that I volunteered before applying for my beginning badge, I have volunteered over 20 more since then and recruited a new volunteer to help us out.

I shared a little bit with my farmgirl chapter about my food bank experiences!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  1:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“When I applied for the beginning level for this badge, I had mentioned that there were a group of us in our community who were very concerned about the future of our local county fair. It had been going downhill for several years, for several reasons. After attending a fair board meeting and listening to the concerns of other citizens....and talking to other friends who were concerned...I decided that we needed to get things going in the right direction and get people excited and motivated to help!

First, I attended a meeting of the open class superintendents. We discussed the upcoming fair and how to get more people involved and excited to participate, for example, more entries in the open class buildings. One superintendent was wanting to get the home brewing section up and running again. Our farm decided to sponsor a 50 lb. of malted barley to the grand prize winner.

My husband and I decided to also sponsor something that anyone could enter...a chocolate chip cookie baking contest! We provided money for first, second and third places.

I also helped the land products superintendent all day checking in produce and helped to both set up the produce display and then take it down at the end of fair and also worked with the judge in judging the entries. I also spent time during the week checking on the displays and keeping things neat and tidy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“There were three parts to earning this badge. The first part was writing a large newspaper, or to write a blog post. I actually posted a blog post for this badge back in April 2016, which was shared on Google Plus, as well as listed on the blog portion of MJF.

The second portion of the badge was to write 40 letters... this is what took the longest for me! I am pretty good at writing letters, however, I am not always timely in mailing them. Okay that isn't quite true... I am horrible, more often than not, about sending letters out in a timely manner! But they have now been mailed.

The third part to this badge was finishing "The Book of Awesome" which I had already done for the Intermediate level.

I thoroughly enjoyed working on all three levels of this badge. With having chaos seemingly all around me on a normal basis, purposefully looking at what I am grateful for is a huge blessing and encouragement. I use the word "is" opposed to "was" as I have every intent to continue writing in my journal what I am thankful for each and every day. I am learning to be thankful for even the minute details of my every day life... for running water, flushing toilets, hot showers, achy muscles after a hard's day work, the clingy child that just wants the assurance of closeness and love. Even the things that seem like negatives are actually blessings... for Romans 8:28 says "...all things work together for good to them that love good,..."”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“In order to earn the beginner level of this badge, they were two parts. The first was to try to improve grammar and spelling, while abstaining from slang, abbreviations, and text-messaging language. This one was difficult for me. I have a bad habit of ending sentences with a preposition. I also found it EXTREMELY difficult to abstain from using any abbreviations, as being part of the military world, abbreviations were always used!!! But I definitely attempted to do my best!

The second part was to learn a new word each day, and to use them in my daily speaking. My first fourteen words included acquire, anachronism, circumspect, clandestine, conundrum, didactic, egregious, erudite, hubris, juxtaposition, malapropism, magnanimous, obfuscate, and ostentatious.

The second part of this badge was A LOT of fun. I home school my children, so each day, they were looking up the new word as well, trying to figure out what in the world I was referring to, as I spoke. The hardest parts in learning these new words were figuring out the correct pronunciation, as well as remembering what they mean.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“It blows my mind how many toxic items are put in products for people and animals alike. We have a dog and kitten right now that we are doing our best by.

For my dog's bedding, I made a dog blanket. It is easy to throw it in the wash and on the line, as needed.

For fleas, we have a couple remedies we use. The first is diatomaceous earth (DE). That stuff works wonderfully, including on chickens!!! Sadly, our kitten is not big enough yet for us to feel safe giving it to her, but thankfully we do not have an issue with fleas right now. The other remedy we use is adding brewer's yeast and garlic to our dogs food, and just brewer's yeast to our cat's.

For a wonderful DIY shampoo that is nontoxic, I recommend combining 2-3 T of Dr. Bronner's unscented castile liquid soap with 4 C hot water and 1 C apple cider vinegar. Whisk it together and then put it in a squeeze bottle. Only a little of this shampoo is needed, and it leaves our shepherd with a shiny coat, that is not too dry and she smells great.

Both our dog and cat are spayed rescue animals. While like many people I love baby animals, there are so many dogs and cats that are strays, that it is important to us to purchase animals from our local shelters.

While I have seven children, my animals are still my fur babies. They are still part of the family. It is for this reason that they are so important, and it is of equal importance to make sure they we refrain from using chemicals and toxic products for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“To get more interest in participating in our fair, I worked with the local paper in getting the fair premium book ready to print with the contests that our family was sponsoring. I also spent time getting those premium books out to people that wanted to enter items and helping those that had never entered anything before. People were surprised by how many different categories of things could be entered and it got a lot of new people excited about participating!

We also had a group of young farm wives all encouraging each other the week before fair, getting baking down and produce ready to enter and entering the different food contests. We really worked hard to get the word out to enter and have fun!

For my own personal challenge, I decided to enter ALL of the bread entries! I started early in the month and put things away in the freezer. I wanted to see LOTS of things entered on the shelves in the building! I also entered some quilts in the open class building next door. I had debated on doing so but was really glad that I did...as there weren't very many and the ones that I took down there really helped to decorate the empty space. Between working at the fair and all of the time spent baking, I put in far more than the 15 hours required for the Intermediate and Expert level badges. It was time well spent! I saved several premium books to start planning ahead for this coming fair. This is a picture of all of the baked bread entries before I took them in to enter. I also shared a bit with my online chapter about this experience.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Carol Ann Womelsdorf (#6607) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I've been gradually switching over to all natural cleaners and have them in use. I keep a recipe file with all the homemade ingredients and make up more as needed.

I pledge to use only green, all natural, organic cleaning products now and in the future that are not harmful to our family. I will keep my cabinets and laundry room in check for harmful ingredients. I will protect my family from them by making all my own products so I know what is in them, and pass those recipes, knowledge, and products to others w/out judgment and with love.

There is a great sense of freedom from buying unhealthy products. I am in control of what goes into my home now and I love using essential oils for freshness and health. Plus it has saved myself money and the products last longer.

My Mission Statement is exactly how I feel about bringing harmful chemicals into my home. No Way! It keeps me in check as to what I put in my carriage now. It is so much fun and gratifying to make my own products. Knowing my family will not be breathing harmful chemicals or absorbing them. I love to feel that accomplishment. I've even gone as far as to take a few classes in body scrubs, essential oils and I just made hand lotion bars for Christmas gifts. Since I have Rosacea and now I can finally use my own products. My husband has a very serious case of Lyme disease and I want him to have only the purest ingredients in his products and system.

I started a journal of recycled ideas, recipes, plans & future projects to share w/someone who also change. I keep them IN categories in my journal w/page covers and I can go to it right away to find my favorites. This way they are so handy to find. I made up a basket for my daughter full of Green cleaning products since she is a newly wed and just got their 1st home. I've included the DIY recipes on recipe cards so she can make up more after they are empty.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Carol Ann Womelsdorf (#6607) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have found several good books on Green Living in my library and have made powdered laundry detergent from just a few simple ingredients. Keeping it in mason jars. Fels Naptha soap, borax and washing soda. Going to try the liquid version too some day but since it's just myself and my husband it might be too much soap.

Making my own melt & pour soap was fun because I used molds and made it by putting in rose buds and lavender w/clear soap base and different oils and colors This is for ourselves and for Christmas gifts. Otherwise I make liquid soap for the dispensers. using 1/2 c castile soap, distilled water, vit E oil, tea tree oil, lavender essential oil. There are so many different recipes that I can't wait to try.

I made my own window cleaner from vinegar and water and from alcohol, vinegar and water. put in spray bottles and gave to my husband also for his car.

For all purpose cleaner I used white vinegar and water with a drop of lemon essential oil. For floor cleaner I made a few different recipes. one was water w/10 drops of lavender oil in a gallon of hot water; another was a heavy floor cleaner using 1 cup white vinegar,1 Tbls organic dish liquid,1 cup baking soda & 2 gallons water very hot.

Making my own laundry detergent was a little work grating but it's worth it. I would like to try other recipes in the future. It cleans just fine. in cold water.

The soap making is a little more involved and time consuming. I would like to try the cold process but I will have to wait until mu sister-in-law will be making it because it involves lye. She's the expert and I will learn from her. She and I will make a 1 yr supply at a time.

Making the floor, all purpose and window cleaners were fast easy and I feel worked better than the store brands and sure did smell so sweet and/ or clean. Feeling good about ditching chemicals, especially since these get absorbed into your skin. I plan on making different kinds in the future to see if I can send some to my daughter's home. I am gradually trying to convert her to being Green.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  2:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have always loved going for walks. When I was a teenager I used to drag my cousins out and we used to walk everywhere. And we used to keep fit, too!

Now being middle ages (yikes, where did the time go?!?) I still love to go for walks. I started walking again a few years ago when more time became available to me. I started walking for about twenty minutes to start with and now, as long as the weather cooperates (no snow or rain storms, those I do not go out in) I'm up to about an hour or so a day. Best of all, I get to take my buddy, my dog Oreo with me! He loves to go for walks as much as I do!!

It's going great. I always look so forwards to going for my walk each day and so does Oreo!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  3:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“When I was younger I think my family thought that I was a bit weird. I lost my father when I was very young so I always told myself that I should spend as much time with my grandparents and elder family members as I possibly could because there was going to come a day when they would not be with me any longer. I think my family thought that I should be out doing 'young people' stuff instead of spending time with the 'old folk'

I would always ask them about how life was when they grew up, what they did for a living, how they liked their job, what the quality of their lives were like. Believe it or not, I think they were happier than the people of today. They seemed to be so much more content with much less.

I especially spent a lot of time with my grandmother and my meme. I loved spending time with them, hearing about their lives and I think that is one of the reasons that I love the 30's and 40's so much. I always found it so fascinating to hear about the music, movies and other things that they enjoyed. I wish I had thought to write it down it would be wonderful to have some kind of journal. They are all gone now, but I have some of the most precious memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Wonderful! Nothing is more important than family and I was so fortunate to have had the chance to spend some time with them. I still miss them every second of every day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Keri Montgomery (herbdogs, #7127) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Last Fall I ordered chicks and ducklings and started hand raising them at a day old. The chicks were born 9/26 and the ducklings 10/31.
From the beginning, I have fed them organic commercial feed, organic herbs and fresh, un-sprayed grass and weeds from my yard. I raised them in a homemade brooder in my home until they were big enough to move out to the house and run my husband built for them.

On 2/16 we received our first chicken eggs. They are delicious! Our chicks and ducks are very healthy and seem very happy too. They have shiny. soft feathers, beautiful clear eyes and have shown no signs of ill health or lethargy. Every day we let them out into their run to play and eat at sunrise. At sunset they put themselves to bed in their house and we go out afterwards and lock it up. Raising these critters and spending time with them every day has been wonderful and rewarding. I feel very strongly about feeding them only organic food. Ive done enough research to know its the best way to go and have seen how my chicks and ducks have thrived. It's important to me also because I am eating the eggs and know that quality food in their little bodies will lead to quality eggs. I eat organic food and I am an organic gardener so feeding them organic made sense.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  3:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“My Husband gave me a Canon Rebel camera for my birthday. I would take pictures of the farm, the animals, and places we visited. But I wanted to learn more about picture taking, to get better shots. So I did some research and this is what I learned:

Shutter speed-determines how long you sensor is exposed to light.

Depth of field - amount of the scene that will appear sharp in your image.

ISO-setting controls how sensitive your sensor is to light (film speed)

F-stop-size of camera's lens opening.

framing-brings depth to the picture.

rule of 3-dividing frames into three equal segments horizontally and vertically using imagined lines.

leading lines-lines within an image that leads the eye to another point in the image.

I posted a few pictures on the merit badge chat room.

With all the information I learned I'm starting to understand the art of picture taking. And I'm applying what I learned when I take pictures.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I made a rather large coaster. It's big enough for 4 glasses. I am using it on my dining room table. I hadn't done mosaics since elementary school. It turned out really nice looking. I did a nine patch pattern, then made stripes at an angle. I am already planning on what I am going to do to a planter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  4:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“My family and I (and our community) are most likely to face earthquakes, fire, mudslides, volcanic eruptions.

We have a plan on how to respond to likely emergencies such as fire, flood, earthquakes, and severe weather. We have a house escape route and meeting place in the yard, we have removed all large trees within striking distance of the house and the well house.

Having lived in numerous states, I have always had to be conscious of the natural disasters unique to that area, such as flash floods in Arizona and tornadoes in Georgia, Alabama, and Texas. I have taught both of my children what to do in each case. We have also talked about house fires and how to get out of the house safely and where to go to. In case of fire, each person knows to wrap in one of the wool blankets before they leave (wool is naturally fire retardant). We have already managed a week without electricity with the last major snowstorm that came through several years ago. The goal this year is to get a hand pump on the well so we will be prepared for the next power outage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“Meditation helps reduce stress, lower blood pressure, help with some psychological and brain issues, and much more. There are many different flavors of meditation, to many to name. Each one affects a person differently.

I have done meditation nightly (10-15 minute sessions) for the last month.

I sleep better when I meditate. It helps me slow my thoughts and work on my breathing. It helps me regulate my heart rate. I do biofeedback from time-to-time too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  1:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I printed family recipes for my daughter, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. I made folders for each. I taste tested potato salad dressing, pimento cheese and country fried deer steaks with Jay and his dad. They were just like mom made. I usually add a little this and that at times.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  1:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“My daughter and son's family came to dinner and I made with my grandchildren's help a meat, starch, vegetable and dessert from the cookbook I gave them. No one went away hungry!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  1:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“One summer while I was spending time with my grandma, she served breakfast on some of the loveliest dishes that I had ever seen...I can still remember the fresh peaches swimming in cream in the cutest little bowls! She told me that they were "Spode"...it had been her aunt's set of china that she had given to my grandma. My love affair with Spode china had begun!

I learned that the Spode china company was founded in England by Josiah Spode in 1770. The factory was in production from 1776 until 2008. Spode pattern books list some 75000 patterns. Josiah Spode perfected under glaze blue transfer printing on china in 1783 and also finalized a new formula for bone china that was different from what was being used in his day. The company created bone and stone china.

The patterns that I love are Cowslip and Buttercup. One distinct feature on these patterns is a basketweave trim all around the edge.

I have been able to find pieces for my collection in antique stores and online, in such places as Replacements and Ebay. Pieces such as plates, cups and saucers are usually not hard to find but there are special pieces that are not easy to come by.
I have not been able to find any online clubs or chatrooms for Spode collecting.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page