Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:52:03 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“A family friend of mine is set to move out of state, at the end of the month. So I called our mutual friend Linda, and inquired as to whether or not there was going to be a goodbye party for her. To sum it up; we planned a party for her, and invited around 30 people.

Linda and I showed up early, decorated, prepared the food, set the tables, ect. I spent 6+ hours harvesting the ingredients for a green salad, for the party. We basically had lunch, cake, and told funny or memorable stories about the guest of honor.

Towards the end, I had a bunch of lady's asking about how I grew my salad ingredients, and about the Farmgirl Sisterhood. I gave one lady the web address to the Farmgirl Sisterhood, and lent my merit badge manual to another lady.

The party was a success and made the guest of honor happy.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Right now it's the middle of the county fair here, which means animals. So I walked to the fair to see this year's horses. Most of the horses were Appaloosas, quarter horses, a couple of paints and one mustang.

I have to admit that I'm pretty biased in that my favorite horse is the Clydesdale, but they aren't popular here.

You were allowed to get up close to the horses, but not pet them without their owner's permission. I chose not to take pictures, because the horses are not mine.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  4:02:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I read two biographies about influential women; one featuring someone from the 1900s (Emma Gatewood) and the other from the 1800s (Dorothea Lynde Dix).

I shared five things (from each book) that I learned on The Farmgirl Connection (Her-story).

You have to catch the chatroom to get the details, but suffice it to say that both were remarkable women in very different ways, and yet they were both alike.

I couldn't put the books down once I started reading. Both stories were fascinating.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Lore Hill (brighteyes1028, #2740) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have a back yard flock of 14 chickens and 7 ducks. I researched nutritious feed for them. They are doing great and producing beautiful and tasty eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  3:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (Dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I started holding a monthly craft night in April. At each craft night I teach participant how to make crafts from recycled items. We had so much fun that I named us the Crazy Crafters. This is what I have decided to call my shop when I get it built.

Everyone has had so much fun and they can't wait for they next monthly build.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Susan Olds (Bird Brain, #7085) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I wanted to decorate the box I store my buttons in. A friend gave me a big bag of white buttons and some cool cameos too. I collaged the entire top of the box with them. Now there's no mistaking where the buttons are in my studio cabinet! I still love collecting old buttons too and love nothing more than rummaging through thrift and antique stores for little treasures.

I like the way it turned out and am glad I used only one color of button and the cameos as it gave it a vintage look. The variety of shapes and sizes was enough to make it interesting and fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Enlow (rachelbee, #6992) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“For July my goal had 3 parts.
1. Eat fresh fruit 5 days a week.
2. Walk 3 laps around my work building every week day.
3. Do yoga or stretching at least 4 nights a week.

The fruit part was delicious but challenging. I ended up going to the store much more frequently because I don't keep a lot of fresh fruit at home. The unintended bonus of this is that I ate out less and bought more food to prepare because I was already at the store. I also tried a fruit that I've never had fresh, mango, and learned that it is one of the most delicious things in existence.

Walking was an easy task, I did it most days already, but I recently moved into a more isolated place in the building and it's more important tnow for my health and sanity to get outside and walk with a friend to be social and get away from the computer.

Yoga was the hardest part, I did this after my evening shower so my muscles are warmed up from the heat and from being up all day. I focused on hip opening stretches like pigeon and butterfly, and am very happy with my progress. Next month I will focus on back bends in addition to my hip openers.

In the image, I didn't start using a calendar until after I got back from our 4th of July trip, so those days are blank.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I planted zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, melons, peppers, and corn. I couldn't keep the rascals out. The squirrels, birds, and rabbits are fat and happy in my yard! My apricot tree did have a good season, and I was able to pick the fruit before the birds got them all. The birds and squirrels were going after my apples, so I picked some early. The remaining look great though and will pick this weekend. Nothing but limited water used to grow! The Montrose Life in a Garden was interesting. It would be amazing to be able to grow things such as is done there. I guess abundance keeps the critters happy and able to leave some greenery for us humans. Although I am disappointed with the garden animals, I saw a neighbor at Lowe's buying poison to set out. Arg! I let her know what it does and the horrible cycle that follows it.

No homegrown veggies for our kitchen. Will try something new next year. Maybe potted plants brought in at night on a cart. Bugs were not a problem because the animals beat them to the plants. I'm hoping the drought will end, so that next year the plants and trees can get more water. Maybe with more water, the animals will be satisfied with plants outside my yard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I kind of knew how to knit from when I was a child, but had not done it in years. I wanted to do something simple like a scarf, but wanted the challenge of something beyond just straight knitting. My sister found this "potato chip" pattern and I thought it would be fun.

I really like it, and plan to make more of this pattern for gifts! Not sure if the photo will do it justice. It's really wavy and curvy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (angelnurse, #6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I had a new grand daughter and I wanted her to have a handmade crochet afghan from her Grammy. I took a crochet class and crocheted a skinny scarf so I could learn to make a afghan for my new Granddaughter.

It is pink and white and it turned out so precious. I was very happy with the results and my daughter loved.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“"I watched the movie at www.vanishingbees.com and read the book "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. The book was interesting in that it compared the life of honey bees to the women in the story.

Then I planted several bee-friendly" including salvias and comfrey. I learned that bees love dandelions. This is when I quit spraying.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I have been fortunate to have always been able to eat raw honey. In researching the differences between raw and processed honey, it was surprising to find that commercial honey is processed and even has water added.

I read "Bees: Nature’s Little Wonders," by Candace Savage. I started buying local honey from a co-worker. My son and I found that our allergy symptoms were lessened by doing this. What a relief!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“Since local honey is supposed to be best, I thought what could be more “local” than in my backyard. I decided to become a bee guardian and ordered my first package of bees in January 2013. They were delivered in April. My Farmgirl chapter friends met at my house and the person I purchased from gave us a demo on installing the bees into the hive. He also discussed how to care for bees and harvest the honey.

When I harvested the first honey from the top bar hive, it was exciting, and honey fresh from the hive is yummy! Small jars of honey were given as Christmas gifts. My apiary grew to five hives; then decreased to three. This has been a truly wonderful experience. I have found myself just standing by the hives watching and listening. I have a new respect for these tiny creatures. This developed into a new hobby - collecting bee related objects and fabric!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“My family lives in another state, so I invited my elderly neighbor lady to stay for dinner; we were canning pickles together. We opened a jar of our green beans (from the garden), and I made buttermilk biscuits and gravy. That's what sounded good to us that day.

My elderly neighbor has had my biscuits before, but not hot-out-of-the-oven. She liked them enough to say how good they were, between bites. She then asked for second!

We didn't take a picture of the meal; we were too busy eating it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I have dried rosemary, lime thyme, oregano, and peppermint. I used the hang-dry method rather than the oven-dry method. I hung hooks under my cupboards and I hang my herbs there to dry. I also cover them with paper bells to keep them dust free.

I copied the spice blends from the MaryJane Ideabook, and made a jar of the Mediterranean blend.

I offered my friends and family some herb blends, but no one wanted them, so I gave them copies of the recipes. I offered my neighbor some fresh cut peppermint. She accepted them, so I washed and bundled them up and told her how to dry them.

I think the Mediterranean blend might go well on cooked basmati rice. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, because I'm busy canning veggies from my garden, and assisting neighbors by giving them rides.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I copied MaryJane's apple pie filling recipe and put it in my canning book. I myself don't like apple pie. I offered my friends and family jars of it, but yet again, they didn't want it.

I learned to can green beans (with or without vinegar) and carrots. I've canned about 36 jars of green beans from my garden so far, only 2 failed to seal. As a newbie, I'm not complaining.

Yesterday I had 5 cucumbers that needed to be picked, so my elderly neighbor lady showed me how to make bread and butter pickles. Tomorrow I'll be learning to can dilly beans. I also have a bunch of frozen currant berries, so I see currant jam in the future.

Pressure canning was easier than I thought. I managed to can half of the green beans by myself. I'm still learning how to water bath.

My elderly neighbor loves bread and butter pickles, so I gave her all of the jars of them. She'll enjoy them more than I ever will. I just want some dilly beans!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I have made a couple of full aprons for myself already, and didn't need more, so I made one by request for a neighbor, who needed one. I went with her to help her pick fabric. One of her daughters was with us, and she was eyeing some fabric too, so I bought enough to make her and her sister little half aprons.

I measured the kids and their mother and made aprons for them. I used a pattern for the mother's apron, but I made up a pattern for the kid's aprons.

They were pleased with the finished aprons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I went online and looked for already existing green cleaning products. I already knew about Bon Ami powder. Once stipulation though; they had to be available in my town.

I settled on Mrs. Meyers clean day all purpose cleaner, and hand soap.

I keep a book of cleaning ideas and recipes. One of the things in my notebook is using rice or salt to dust fake flowers.

It's nice knowing that the products you use to clean won't hurt you or the environment you live in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I've been recycling my merit badge paper, glass spaghetti sauce jars, aluminum cans.

My dad lives in a state that doesn't have a bottle deposit, so they aren't worth anything when recycled. I set up a trash can, for my dad, so he can recycle his aluminum and plastic bottles.

My dad and I continue to recycle, which is not hard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“Embroidered dishtowels are so much fun! I have made several sets as bridal shower gifts for the young women in my area. These gifts are always well received.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I embroidered a dozen wildflower blocks to be made into a wall hanging. The flowers all used different stitches and it challenged by skills.

It turned out very well, and makes to happy to look at it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“Ask people what they think of when they hear “grass-fed” beef, and the answer is a beautiful green pasture with lush grass and cows munching away. The truth is that a pasture has far more than just grass growing in it. After researching grass-fed vs. corporate raised beef and reading MaryJane’s article, it’s a no-brainer that I want to eat the good stuff!

There is so much information available on how to raise beef cattle and much of it is contradictory depending on who wrote the article, and the intended audience. Some of the grass fed beef I have had has been quite tough, so this is the argument for a little grain at finishing. I know that I want to be more aware of what my food is eating.

The result is that I need to keep researching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I have kept a food journal for the past month, also helping with my Let's Get Physical badge requirements. I have learned where those little "extras" are sneaking in, and the journal has helped to eliminate extra snacking and useless calories. The Kingsolver book was a real eye opener, and quite entertaining! I have found 2 local farmer's markets and have begun to shop for what is in season rather than what happens to be at the grocery store. I have been sprouting seeds, for my birds as well as for the humans. (Great in salads). Because of the Farmer's Market and the Kingsolver book, we are trying new fruits and veggies and have discovered some new favorites. There are no more hydrogenated oils or artificial sweeteners in my house!

I am excited to plan my garden for next year, based on what will be in season throughout the year. What I cannot grow I am determined to purchase locally. We have an abundance available locally that I never took the time to explore. The book was a huge eye opener. As a side benefit, I have lost weight!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have been keeping a food journal (doubling with another badge) and have pledged to myself to eat more natural and organic foods. No junk! My goal at the beginning of the month was to lose 5 pounds.

I have lost 6 pounds. May not sound like much, but that is a huge achievement for me. More importantly, the foods going into my body are natural and not pre-packaged.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  4:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have researched stress reduction, and how stress can lead to depression. I live with someone who is chronically depressed, and have tried some relaxation techniques with him as well. I have made it a point to stop in the middle of my day for a 5 minutes "break", sometimes as simple as just sitting quietly or maybe closing my eyes.

I made it a goal to do to the 5 minute break for at least a month, however I plan to continue. I am refreshed from even just the 5 minutes.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page