Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“I had 4 sheared fleeces and got all the stuff picked out of them. got them ready to card. They are worked up. Now I have got to learn how to use my spinning wheel.

This turned out good ... took about two days to go through it all was a lot of wool there! The llamas wool was a mess with all the stuff caught in it, but I was glad to have it finished.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I had 4 little hens various breeds we lost one recently. We still have Gabby and Sallie. We have learned just how much personality hens can have. I have raised them since babies I have learned the different personalities for each one and their breed. We cheer every day we gather eggs. I always thank my girls for their eggs I think they like that. They are free roaming they think they own the 1/2 acre we live on.

I have found a excellent grain feed for them, they are free to hunt bugs and worms and are happy plump girls.

It has turned out great and will plan on getting some more chickens this spring. My girls are getting some age on them need some young ones to introduce to the little flock. We love the fresh organic eggs.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I have trained my vet to do things my way. I have a manual to follow with the wallabies which must be followed.

She did approve any ''natural'' care if possible with them and ponies when I had them, and llama. She gave good advice on diet knowing I wanted a more natural diet as possible.

The wallabies of course have their diet plan and I follow it closely as possible. I will be redoing their pens and will plant edible herbs for them to graze on. I pick dandelions when up for them they love it and is healthy.

I have to special order pellets for wallabies, they get daily sweet potatoes and good quality hay. When joeys are out of the pouch I follow the best program for them using wombaroo milk formula from Australia. Many who have roos do not follow good diet programs.

I don't have the ponies any longer so my diet plan for llama and hens and turkey is pretty basic.

I have a friend with a horse ranch and have volunteered many hours out there over the past 10 years. I would help when she was short handed especially.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I began my business in 2000 doing education programs with a joey wallaby and grew from there to doing exotic animal programs. I had to learn how to be mama to the various species and what diet requirements they needed. I had several exotics. I had to study about the animals being shown and educate myself on handling them.
I had to work my business plan of sorts along the way as I grew. I had to learn the best way to advertise and market myself especially with a lot of competition. I soon grew to hold my own with the best in the business.

I had to learn what permits or licenses were required. one being usda license to go out with the animals. I had regular inspections and needed to know what was required. I had to be sure my income budget would cover the business expenses feeding the animals was not cheap. I had to provide proper housing.

Through the years I began a petting zoo and pony rides. Had to learn the best way to run that business. I was successful. I recently had to shut it all down due to my health.

Now I will get back to breeding the wallabies again. I have a excellent website that was done for me and I get a steady flow of calls and emails for joeys. I let the license go past 3 years and now am working to reapply and get back into the business. Which means I have to find out any new permit laws and do what is needed to get the license back. Need to get back on the list for libraries which took me two years to get my foot in the door to be on their list before I quit working for a while. There is a whole process to marketing the right targets.

I am now planning on combining my outback programs with another animal educator in my area who got a red kangaroo joey. We feel we will both improve our job flow working together we each have something different to offer. We are working up an agreement on what we feel would work best for us in our businesses. I have been sharing some of the things I did that was successful.

I have managed to keep in the game for now going on 16 years with the small break I took off. I will be happy to get back to being kangaroo kate again, that is who I am.

I included some photos from the work I have done to give a idea. It was a experience of a lifetime to raise and live with some of the animals I have had.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I decided I’d better get my BakeOver made while I still had enough apples left from the orchard. I ordered a box of Mary Jane’s Whole Wheat Budget Mix and made my apple BakeOver in a bundt pan. When I turned it out I was able to put a tealight candle in a clear votive jar in the center for a little special touch.

CJ’s APPLE BAKEOVER
4 medium apples (I used Rome Beauty), unpeeled and diced (you may peel them if you prefer)
4 tblsp. butter
½ c. brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
¼ c. finely chopped nuts
1 tblsp. honey
Combine these ingredients and place in the bottom of a greased bundt cake pan (or any other baking dish). Drizzle with the honey

BakeOver Topping:
3 tblsp. butter, melted
1 ½ c. Budget Mix (I used the whole wheat version)
½ c. brown sugar
2 eggs
½ c. plain Greek yogurt
½ c. milk, buttermilk or cream
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine all the topping ingredients, spread over the apple mixture. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Cool until just warm and then turn out onto plate. Serve warm, and whipped cream or ice cream makes a wonderful addition!

I own and have read and gleaned much info and recipes from Mary Jane’s Ideabook/Cookbook/Lifebook and Special Recipe issue of the magazine.

Because I grew up in an apple orchard I learned to cook with and prepare apples in many ways as I was growing up and learning to cook. We learned to slice and dry apples, make cider, apple jelly and applesauce, just to name a few. I like to either can or freeze my applesauce for winter use.

My “my apple meal” included a salad using spinach, apples, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts and feta cheese with a balsamic vinegar dressing. Apples slices with pork roast made a wonderful main dish. The apples can be baked with the roast, however I prefer to cook them separately with a bit of cinnamon and in butter and serve along side. One of my specialties and very favorite desserts is Apple Crisp, topped with a crunchy topping made of walnuts, oats, cinnamon, and brown sugar which was my choice with the meal.

But I also make applesauce and a great dessert is warm applesauce over fresh gingerbread, topped with whipped cream. Applesauce and vanilla flavored Greek yogurt over pancakes or waffles is also another favorite for my family. Because it is winter, I had to purchase apples for part of my meal, using Gala and Fuji apples.

I’m always happy to eat an apple or cook with them. I’m happy to draw upon my knowledge and experience from growing up in an apple orchard! They are a favorite food at my house and I imagine they will always be! I vote for apples and more apples!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:47:54 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I don’t have too many UFOs because I’ve been in the process of paring down and destashing my sewing and crafting supplies, giving away or selling many items such as papercraft and other craft supplies and fabric. I was able to identify a few and get them ready to finish. This badge did inspire me this week to finish up one papercraft project that needed some attention.

I have been a papercrafter for many years, making cards, tags and journals. I also take a lot of photographs of flowers which I use in my papercrafting. I have had a stash of flower photographs waiting to be made into cards. This week, I as able to sort through the photographs, dig out some cardstock, get my adhesives out and make two dozen cards. One UFO finished!

I like to send cards for birthdays and other occasions. I also like to use blank cards to write notes for whatever reason. These photo cards will be used for my own correspondence, but I also will be selecting a few and making into sets for gifting purposes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I have a couple of collections, one of them being that of vintage linens and laces. However, my passion is angels. I have quite the collection of angels which I think was spurred by the presence of an angel waking me to get us up and out of bed and our house the night our house burned down in July 1994. That angel looked, sounded like and spoke to me just like my mother, who had passed away earlier that year in February. That was a life-changing experience which spoke to my heart and solidified my belief in angels being around and watching over us!

For this level I’m discussing a wooden angel that hangs in our bathroom since we rebuilt our house. My husband and I made this angel together (we also rebuilt our house together, another life changing event!)

The angel was made right here in my husband’s shop, the wooden part cut on a scroll saw. Her skirt is handquilting I made myself and I painted her face and put her together. It is very doubtful that there is another angel like her anywhere, even though there may be some in a similar style. She does have a personal connection as described above.

There are at least two angel collection clubs that I was able to locate, however, they have membership dues and, while I’d like to be a part of those, I just can’t justify the expense. I am still looking for any other possible online angel collectors to chat with.

I love my angels and am always looking for any that just strike my fancy and I think will be a wonderful addition to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  3:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Leslie Boston (cori1312, #6830) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I spent 3.5 hours using a sc, hdc, dc pattern to crochet a cotton dishcloth. It took longer than I expected, and used way more yarn than a knitted cloth of the same size.

I didn’t care for the way the cotton yarn split the plies so easily. My daughter really likes the colors, so I'll be letting her use it for bath time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Leslie Boston (cori1312, #6830) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I started a quilt kit, to pass the time at home during the rather sunless days of winter. I assembled an American flag wall quilt, 24”x36” finished. The star field was populated with a large single star design, made from half-square triangles. Each stripe was also made half-square triangles, creating a chevron pattern, rather than the traditional straight line stripes. The batting and backing were not included with the kit, but I layered them, and hand quilted the stripes with a running stitch, before binding the edges with red fabric to match the quilt backing.

Amazing. I am sad that I do not have the photos from this project. I even regret selling it at this point, because the seams were hand-stitched and met perfectly at the corners, like nothing a machine could ever do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  1:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Joan Anthony (ijjie, #849) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“For Intermediate level I continued my docent, genealogy volunteering at Ramsey House Historic site. I completed 29 more hours doing general house keeping, office duties, helping as docent on the Christmas candle light tour, school tours and data entry for the Ramsey DNA Project.

I discussed with the director the difficulties with finding and retaining volunteers for this type of historical site. To be knowledgeable docents need to take on self study and be motivated to learn the correct historical details that make the tours interesting. Volunteers are most often involved in the tours and special events.

I have learned a lot since joining Ramsey House. I have been interested in living history as a re-enactor of the rendezvous era and this has been an opportunity to share and learn more of USA history pre-1840's. As a member of the Wildflowers Hen House, I posted a report on 2/7/2016 as a chapter member to the badges forum. I also completed a period correct outfit, to wear for special events as docent.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  1:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Joan Anthony (ijjie, #849) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I researched the meaning of the musical terms melody, harmony and rhythm. An easy definition that I found helpful in breaking down a song into the different components, was found on the web. DNA of music.

Melody is the face (song, words)
Harmony is the meat (supporting music)
Rhythm is the bones (beat, or percussion)

I chose 3 of my favorite music genres for the practical lesson.

ABBA:Dancing Queen:Female vocal (Melody)
Male vocal (Harmony)
& guitars.
Drums (Rhythm)

Celtic Thunder: Heartland
Soloist (Melody)
Back up singers (Harmony)
Orchestra (Rhythm)

Mohicans: Movie Last of the Mohicans
Vocal & Native American Flute (Melody)
Orchestra (Harmony)
Drums (Rhythm)

This was a good exercise in music appreciation. Set goal of learning to play the Native American Flute.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Green (#6639) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Potato Chips:

Sliced potatoes very thin. Placed on paper towel and sprinkled with sea salt. Blotted tops of slices with additional paper towels to remove excess moisture. Arranged on tray and microwaved until crisp.

It takes a long time to get them crisp if they are not sliced very, very thin. They are delicious if you have the patience to microwave long enough.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Green (#6639) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I tried four new organic food items. First I tried apples, then bananas, then romaine hearts (lettuce) and carrots. I shared my produce with other family members. Didn't notice much taste wise, but enjoyed knowing food was organic and safe to eat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“To me Michelle Obama is a woman of influence, power and inspiration. She was born Jan. 17, 1964 in Chicago, Ill. By sixth grade she was taking classes in the gifted program, went on to a gifted program high school, attended Princeton and Harvard Law school.

In 2006 Michelle was one of 25 of the worlds most inspiring women. She supports Military families, helping working women balance career and faily and encouraging national service.

Michelle supports the organic food movement instructing the White House kitchens to prepare organic food for guests and family. In March of 2009 she worked with 23 fifth graders from DC to plant an 1100 sq. ft garden of fresh vegetables and installed beehives on the south lawn.

She is committed to health and wellness causes, fitness programs for kids to fight obesity and health.

I have a soft spot for all the inspiring causes Michelle is involved in. I have the book, The story of the White House Kitchen Garden. It is a very well written book that I feel encourage people to grow their own food. I especially liked that the Park Service is involved in both the gardens and writing this book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Dorean Corti (#6803) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I have 2 bee hives and this year harvested about 20 pounds of honey.
It was my first year with bees and I love it. We first joined the local beekeepers association and after attending a few meetings got our bees in April. We read numerous books and saw various movies and documentaries on bees and just fell in love with them.

It turned well. We harvested 20 pounds of honey and about 10 ounces of bees wax. I entered my honey in the Tennessee State fair, but did not win. I have made lip balm, and hand cream with the wax and honey and it came out quite nice. We gave away so much honey and still have quite a few jars left.

Unfortunately as all new beekeepers know we lost our hives to colony collapse. I was heartbroken but beekeepers with much more experience than I had the same fate fall upon them. They assured me not to get discouraged and start fresh this spring. So I ordered 2 more hives worth of bees. Because of them we had a great garden and were all organic - used no pesticides at all. Looking forward to doing this again this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I chose Drew Gilpin Faust as a woman still in her position of power and influence as my woman to research.

She was born in New York City, New York. She attended Concord Academy in Massachusetts, received her bachelor's degree from Bryn Mawr College, her master's degree and doctoral degree from the University of Pennsylvania.

She is the first female president of Harvard University in it's 400 year history. There is no book published about her, but there are several websites describing her and her accomplishments. I have listed one of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Gilpin_Faust

This woman has written several books and has appeared in a couple of films. I first found her in my book "Her Story: A Timeline of Women who Changed America" by Charlotte S. Waisman and Jill S. Tietjen. She is a specialist of the history of the South and the Civil War period. She is an interesting and controversial woman. She's my kind of lady.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (SouthForty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Here are some dishcloths I've recently made after falling in love with crocheting. Years ago I dabbled with knitting and crocheting but never learned anything fancy. In fact, I got frustrated because my sides would end up crooked. I don't know why it was so hard to fathom but maybe it was easier to master the basics and move on to more complex stitches because of ready-made instructors who can show you just about anything on YouTube! I can remember getting to a confusing part and having to wait until a friend/mentor could show me what I was doing wrong. Well those days are long gone! I've even watched tutorials in Portuguese (which I do NOT speak) and made sense of the turns/patterns.

I love my simple projects and have learned to read instructions and actually understand the sequencing. Attaching photos and will be applying for intermediate badge as well with accompanying photos for that level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (SouthForty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Being bitten by the crochet bug has led me to meet many new friends and spend time with a group of wonderful ladies at a sister church. They've inspired me to indulge in my crafty side and encourage me with lots of praise for learning so quickly.

Attached is a photo of a stocking I made for my husband's co-worker during the holidays. It is a simple construction of granny squares and stuffed full of candy and other sundries! I have other photos of hats and embellishments but cannot figure out how to attach more than one photo. I am also signed up for a temperature quilt and have fifty squares toward that goal. Look out Expert badge, here I come!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell (SouthForty, #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Finally sitting down to apply for merit badges! Who has time to request badges when you're so busy doing the tasks? Ha ha... I picked up the needle a few months ago and have been making everything imaginable! Christmas came around just in time for me to make a ton of ornaments and three dozen granny squares in brilliant red and bright white that I used for stockings and other goodies. The squares are so versatile and are easy to fashion into just about any shape.

I am still adding to my Christmas collection and will be gifting lots of handmade items for 2016! Our best trees are the ones that have crafts we've made into ornaments. There's always a story behind them. I'd rather have a macaroni garland made by a child than a fancy-schmancy one from the big box retail chains. Attaching a photo of a one of my snowflakes as they were a lot of fun to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Looking for angels to add to my collection is always on my mind when I’m shopping, but especially in thrift and/or antique shops.

I am especially fond of Willow Tree Angels and am always on the search for those, but on my “wish list” would be these and in this order:
- Angel of Prayer
- Angel of Harmony
- Angel of the Garden
- Angel of Courage

And, to give as a gift to someone very special I would give the “Angel of Thinking of You”. I would take them all if I were able, but these are the ones I’d really like to add to the collection It does require some planning to save money to purchase these and I have found a couple of online sources for them.

My inventory list is “loosely organized” of the angels because of differences in construction and origin, but many of the angels I have don’t have significant monetary value.

I have only kept track of the value of the Willow Tree angels. Some of the angels in my collection were purchases, some were gifts and a few were handmade either by myself or friends.

In the photo are the only Willow Tree angels I currently have in my collection. The one sitting is holding a cat and is the Angel of Kindness, the wall hanging, which is very unusual to find, is holding a bird and is the Angel of Healing, the one standing is holding a dog and is the Angel of Friendship.

I enjoy looking at my angels as they are each different and just remind me of my mom, and the role angels play in our lives.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (Kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I have always liked old kerosene lamps we used them some through the years. I have grabbed everyone I could over the past 50 years. I have them from both sides of my family.

One in particular is special was my grandmothers. It has a owl face on 3 sides of the glass. I had a antique fella try to talk me out of it years ago. He said it was rare but couldn't find the exact info on it for me. I have not been able to find out more about it. would like to find a expert who can give me more history on it.

I can hardly resist passing one by if I find one at a yard sale. I have to use self control. ha

I have mine displayed on top of my old hutch. I have a few more old ones stored away not enough space to set them out right now.

I am happy with my collection and do reach for a couple when electric goes off. They not only look nice but are practical and functional.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I live in Gretna, Va. In our town we have a historic tavern called Yates Tavern. I drive by it everyday on my way to work. In the past I always had to work when it was open for tours. Last Oct. I made sure to be off on Founders Day weekend so I could tour the Tavern with my husband.

Yates Tavern was build in 1750. It was a two story, two room building with a basement (block house design). It offered food and shelter to travelers. At that time it was pretty much wilderness. So forts and block houses were build for defense against Indians.

We enjoyed the tour and we learned a lot about how peoples lived back then.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“The difference between Rocks and Minerals are: Rocks are made of one or more minerals and may also have organic remands.

Minerals: are naturally occurring inorganic solid substance.

The three types of rocks are: Igneous-formed at high temperatures

Sedimentary-formed by particles of sand, shell, pebbles held together by natural cement.

Metamorphic-formed by heat and pressure.

Some of the things rocks and minerals are used for today are:
-Granites for counter tops
-Marble for tile
-Gems from minerals used to make jewelry”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“We went to a Gem mine in North Carolina and spend the afternoon mining for Gems using a flume.

I was able to identify Rubies, Garnets, Sapphires, Amethysts, Emeralds and Rose Quarts.

One of the Garnets I had cut and made into a ring. Garnet is my birthstone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chappell (AdeleHale, #6346) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“We are almost finished moving from my mother's house into our own home. During the move, I got rid of all of our non-green cleaners. I replaced them with earth-friendly options. I talked to my family about only using earth-friendly cleaners in the future and we have promised each other that. I have also started a Pinterest board which you can see here: www.pinterest.com/drjchappell/cleaning-up-going-green-beginner/

I have enjoyed cleaning the counters with my new friendly cleaners - it smells just like grapefruit! I haven't tried any of the Pinterest ideas yet - I'm looking forward to doing that on the intermediate stage of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page