Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Follestad-Quam (jfollquam, #6468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I didn't know how to crochet so my mom taught me over the summer. I made two dish rags with the half double crochet stitch and three with the double crochet stitch. I think they turned out well. I needed some new dish rags!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson (JThomp, #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I had started work on this badge a couple years ago and set it aside. So, I pulled everything back out and started working to fill in the rest in December. Some were easy and some weren't as easy to find. Thanks to my mother-in-law who sent me her button collection, I finally found a rubber and wooden button. I spent some time reading the history of buttons and trying to narrow down a time period to write about.

I collected 10 buttons of various types, including metal, wood, china, and a very hard to find rubber button. Thanks to my mother-in-law sending me her collection of buttons, I was able to find that china and rubber button.

For the picture:
Top: Row 1: metal, china, wood, and rubber. Row 2: glass, plastic, leather, and fabric. Row 3: shell and Bakelite.

I found all sorts of interesting bits of history about buttons, which made it difficult to narrow down one particular time period. I finally settled on the period of the late 18th and early to mid-19th century. The wealthy had enjoyed beautiful buttons, some were jeweled and many were absolute works of art throughout a large part of history. During the 18th century the wealthy even started the lasting trend of men’s and women’s buttons on different sides. Men’s on the right for their convenience, women’s on the left for their maid’s convenience.

Others made their own buttons using button molds to create metal buttons. The button molds would be placed in the fire then they would melt pewter or lead to create their buttons. Wood and bone were also used. Some people would cover button forms of wood or other materials with thread and create designs, such as the Death’s head design which looks like an “X” with the open areas filled in with thread. This was a popular design used into the 1800s. Rings were used to create fancy lingerie or Dorsett buttons that were made by weaving beautiful designs around a metal ring with linen thread.

After the Industrial Revolution of the 1800s things changed. Buttons were being mass produced and were more affordable for everyday people. A huge variety of buttons became available to the market leading to button fashion trends. During this time, even the cards that buttons were sold on improved and changed.
It was all very interesting reading and I wouldn’t mind attempting the thread buttons sometime, just to see if I can do it. Here are a few links to sources I found for the history of buttons.
Button History: A Visual Tour of Button Design:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/design/2012/06/button_history_a_visual_tour_of_button_design_through_the_ages_.html
Dorset Thread Buttons:
http://www.woodedhamlet.com/buttons_clasps/dorset_thread_buttons.html
How to Make a Death’s Head Button:
http://www.woodedhamlet.com/howto_advice/deathshead_instruc.htm

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  3:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Renee Stoughton (rstoughton, #6674) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“Tought myself how to quilt by watching hours of videos and tutorials.

I started with the Log Cabin pattern. Each side a different earth tone colors. Each square was 6x6 (I had 12) I started hand stitching but turned to my new Brother machine. I turned this into a little floor mat for a friend for her kitten!

My hand stitching needs some work for sure. All in all the mat turned out better then I thought it would. For my next quilt I will pay more attention to lining up seams.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  3:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Joan Anthony (ijjie, #849) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“My oldest son & daughter-in-law married in Nov. 2012. For Christmas 2015, I made them a "Memory" Scrapbook of their wedding. The album included photos of them in high school/when dating/as little kids/bridal shower/wedding rehearsal/ rehearsal dinner & wedding.

There were some pages for her to add photos of anniversaries / special memories etc. Some add embellishments included petals scattered by the flower girl and a poem read at the rehearsal dinner.

Allegra seemed very pleased with the scrapbook. This year, Christmas 2015, when she visited over the holidays, (while her husband was deployed) she asked if I could help her start a scrapbook of their brief leave holiday in Scandinavia. Yeah another "scrapbooker" in the family. I did not take pictures of the Wedding Book, but I made this for them when they took a cruise to the Bahamas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  3:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-Demooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have probably about 15 reusable bags which I use for groceries, library books, taking changes of clothes to events, crafts projects, and as "briefcases" for meetings. I have taken a picture of my groceries for this past week all "bagged" up.

I find the hardest part of this is estimating how many bags I will need to use when I go into the grocery store. Sometimes you think you'll only be getting a couple of things and then they have a good sale and I end up with some plastic bags as well. I do always find ways to reuse these though. I do like to have a few around for those times when I don't want my cloth bags to get wet and dirty.”

Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  4:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow! So many great badges going out. Congrats awardees!

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made this full apron for the holidays and wore it to help make Christmas dinner. I like the way it turned out. The ruffle took a lot time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (Bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I made crackers with MaryJane's Whole Wheat Budget Mix. They turned out okay. They weren't as crispy as I would have liked. Next time I will bake them longer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Completing this badge worked out really well for Christmas presents! I compiled a gift basket that included bath salts, bath tea, soap, lotion, lip balm, and my favorite - body butter.

Since the rest of my basket ingredients, except the lip balm, were scented lavender, I went with a lavender body butter. I mixed shea butter, coconut butter, and sweet almond oil along with lavender essential oil. I also added some Vitamin E, to help the body butter last longer. The texture of the body butter was really creamy and the results were soft and smooth skin!

Overall, I found this project to be a lot of fun! My children and I enjoyed "doing science" to create these products and sharing them with others. We will certainly be using more of our homemade products, are planning to try to make some shaving creams and shampoo next.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“For Christmas, I made my 6 yo dd her own sewing box, complete with a flower pincushion. Due to her age and slightly delayed motor skills, rather than the normal type of threads, buttons, needles, etc, I filled her sewing box with large buttons, plastic canvas, yarn, and dull larger-holed needles. She also received two felt bear cutouts with holes punched in them, and filling so that she can sew them together with yarn, stuff it, and create her own stuffed bear.

My daughter was thrilled with her gift! She has worked diligently in an attempt to finish a plastic canvas craft.

The pincushion I made did not turn out as well as I had hoped, but was still pretty cute, overall.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Since I never wear half aprons, but rather full, and I have quite a bit of experience sewing, I actually switched up this badge, and taught and helped my 12 yo dd to sew a half apron. Being the horse-crazy young lady she is, she picked out a cute horse fabric.

The apron turned out really cute! She actually gifted it to another Farmgirl's daughter for a swap... which happened to be her pen pal as well. We are hoping the young lady enjoys wearing it as much as my daughter enjoyed making it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“Quilting is something I have dabbled in, here and there, but have never finished anything. This past year, however, I have made two table runners and a tummy-time blanket for my infant.

I have found that I actually really enjoy quilting. It has inspired me to join the temperature quilting challenge on the forum.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Making 25% of my Christmas gifts is a difficult feat. I have seven children, so that is A LOT of gifts. Thankfully, the children only get four gifts, plus a homemade one. In addition, we made the policemen, firemen, driver for our CSA, mail carrier, and friends gifts as well. Everyone in our immediate family (so the children, my hubby, and I) also received Christmas Eve pajamas. About a quarter of our ornaments are also homemade.

This was a lot of fun - yet stressful! With having a newborn, getting everything made was a little difficult... we finished making gifts on Christmas Eve Day! With this said, I am hoping to make even more of the gifts next year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (Kangaroo Kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I was trying to Improve my health by learning various therapies I had not done before. I began doing chi gong every morning. I listen to sound tones that direct to various chakra points in the body. I use essential oils in a diffuser on a regular basis. I read the bible or a good book to calm my mind.

I felt much better. I am on dialysis and it helped to deal with the stress I feel.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  2:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (Kangaroo Kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“This has been a on going study, I actually began in the mid 70's and laid it aside for some time and began again.

On my moms side of family I spent time with my granny and my cousin who was researching our family history. I learned where our side of family originated from. My cousin and I went grave yard hunting to find where some of the ancestors were buried. We did find two of them. One in a patch of woods so over grown we almost missed it. Granny shared stories with us. Granny passed away last year at 100 and 2 months old.

I also had learned that my dads side of the family did research and found that his great great grandpa was a brother to General George Custer. Custer's came on the second round of ships following the Mayflower due to religious persecution, they were Mennonites. I came across a letter written when they came to America but was a translation of German we could not find anyone who knew it.

This was, in both cases, quite exciting to learn facts we had never known. This was also frustrating, due to my grandma on my dads side, for some insane reason, burned all the old family photos as I was researching. She had tin types back to general Custer. Her sister and I caught her burning them. I do however have a nice photo of my great grandma who was Cherokee Indian married to my great grandpa who was a Custer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  2:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Coleman (Kangaroo Kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I home schooled my son and one of the things we learned was some sign language we made it a daily lesson. I am also deaf and had never learned it well so it was fun to learn with him.

I also was later on doing animal education programs with various exotic animals, one being a wallaby joey. I developed a outback program and also taught about Australia. One of the things I did was to teach some aborigine words and what they meant.

I had to take time off from the outback program due to getting sick but will soon be doing it again. Kids loved to learn words they could use from another country and culture.

It was helpful to learn some basic sign language, I wanted to get better at it but got sick and just didn't keep after it

Was fun to learn the words shared with kids they took it to heart. I ran into a teacher whose class I had been to this was a year later and the kids were still saying g'day mate and hooroo (hello) and spot on (good job, right on the nose) they enjoyed the dream time stories I shared from the aborigine culture. I look forward soon to continue the programs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  2:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson (JThomp, #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I’ve learned about five herbs: rosemary, basil, lemon balm, marjoram, and bee balm.

I knew the culinary uses of rosemary and basil already, and do use it, but I wanted to learn more about some of their other uses. I didn’t know that rosemary can be used as a natural preservative. Basil has vitamin C, I did not know that either, which makes it good for colds and it helps ease some stomach problems. I knew it was tasty with my tomatoes, but didn’t realize the medicinal perks of basil. I didn’t know that much about marjoram or bee balm. I knew bee balm attracts pollinators but not much else. All of the plant above ground can be used for teas or even jelly. I want to plant lemon balm this year so this was a good opportunity to learn more about growing it and using it. It smells so good which makes it another relaxation herb and I can dry it to use it for seasoning or as tea.

I used marjoram in a chicken dish and it turned out pretty well. I hadn’t used that herb before in cooking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  2:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“In 2011, I bought my first hand gun for personal protection. In 2012, I received my very own hunting rifle, (often, I borrowed from others for hunting season). This past May, I got married and received a new shotgun from my husband as a wedding gift.

I've read the Pennsylvania State Hunting regulations year after year, and I'm very familiar with the laws regarding hunting firearms. So for this badge, I decided to further familiarize myself with the concealed carry laws in my state.

I feel more secure knowing the proper laws in concealing a weapon within my state, and I have become familiar with the states that offer Reciprocity. I've realized that it is important to stay current with the regulations, because they are often evolving or changing due to current events.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Miller (DesignsByJennMiller, #6804) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“I've been cross-stitching for many years and a very good friend of mine always asked how to do it as she was impressed with all the projects I have made. She said she bought a kit of a barn that she was going to try and wanted me to show her how. Now, the barn kit was a huge kit probably about 12x14 inches and I told her that it was too big for her first attempt but she was determined to do it. So I sat her down and showed her the basics of stitching as well as back stitch and colonial knots that she would need for the project and she took off! She texted me regular updates on her project and asked questions along the way.

In the end the project turned out beautiful with only a few minor newbie mistakes. For such a large project I was shocked! I rarely do projects that large and I've been stitching for 22 years. Now she is totally hooked and has as large a craft stash as me, maybe larger!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Heidi Weismann (#6778) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“Oh how I love to dream about my own business and have been working on this one since the end of last growing season. I want to start and herb and wildflower farm on our property. I ordered and will plant Wildflowers of all kinds and I also plan on a separate herb garden full of lavender and culinary herbs. I plan on calling it Lazy Labs Herb and Wildflower Farm after my 2 yellow labs and fellow garden "helpers!" I plan on letting people stop by and cut their own bouquets and herb bundles to take home with them. I have priced out the seeds, etc and plan on charging $1.00 for the herbs and $2.00 per bouquet. If the lavender comes in abundance I also plan on drying it and making it into lavender sachets or perhaps lavender oils. Fun planning all this especially with snow on the ground and wishful thinking for spring to come real soon. I have made up business cards also.

Well since I cannot plant yet I got as far as writing down plant order and making business cards and searching online for good Lavender products to make. want to also say that I had hard time putting a finish date--you cannot put an end to a dream!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Miller (DesignsByJennMiller, #6804) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“There are many different types of fabric you can stitch on. The most common type is Aida fabric which is a fabric that is specially made just for cross stitching. It comes in counts of 12, 14, 16, 18, & 22. This means that there are that many cross stitches per inch according to that fabric. IE: 12 stitches per inch with 12 ct fabric, 14 stitches per inch with 14 ct fabric and so on.

Then you get into linen or muslin which is for more advanced stitchers and has a fabric count of 22 all the way up to 40. Linen is my favorite fabric to stitch on and my preferred count is 28.

This is a wall hanging I made on 28 ct. custom dyed linen and it took me about a year to complete due to my work schedule and home life. It measures 14x18 inches and I have done the framing myself as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Miller (DesignsByJennMiller, #6804) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“Part of my home business is designing patterns for people or selling my patterns on Etsy. I have been making patterns for about 8 years now. The most current pattern I made was for a lady on the East Coast who fell in love with a painting and wanted to stitch it for her living room. She contacted me and asked me to make a pattern for her.

The pattern turned out great and she was super happy with it. It is one of the largest patterns I have ever made. It is 18x14 inches with over 115,000 individual stitches and over 100 thread colors for realism. I may one day stitch this up for myself as I just love it that much. I have included a screen shot of the pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Renee Stoughton (Rstoughton, #6674) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“With lots of blood, sweat and tears.

I thought making a T-Shirt quilt would be pretty easy to begin with that would be if I didn't use 42 shirts. It fits my king size bed. Cut out all the 12x12 shirts then inter faced them. Which was wrong. I would have interfaced them before cutting. Added borders to all squares sewed into rows. I then sewed all rows together. I added the padding and backing and tried free hand quilting (machine).... That didn't go to horrible. A lot harder then I thought. After quilting I added the link boarder!

It has plenty of mistakes and things don't line up all the right way. The quilting isn't that good. BUT I LOVE IT!!!! It's something I made all myself and something I actually finished. It also keeps me very warm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:47:16 PM  Show Profile
Joan Anthony (ijjie, #849) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I am a volunteer docent at a local historical home. The home owner was a prominent figure in the early 1800's TN history.

11/20/2015 Assistant on House tour as learning docent. 2.5 hr
11/24/2015 Helped with cleaning and decorating for the Christmas season.4.5 hr
12/10/2015 Ramsey DNA project paperwork 2hr
12/11/2015 Docent duties (public education) 5.5 hr
Total volunteer time = 14.5 hrs

I am learning a lot about local history and enjoy learning about the area we live in. www.ramseyhouse.org/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Joan Anthony (ijjie, #849) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“For this badge I made dishcloths in various patterns for shower gifts and raffle prizes for a local community group that I was a member of. The photo should document the 3 hours required. I taught 2 people to knit a community club member and my daughter in law.

My daughter-in-law, preferred "arm knitting" and made me a scarf and ear warmers for Christmas, 2014. Beautiful gift.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page