Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  1:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I just started to collect buttons and before I knew it, I couldn't stop. Almost like an obsession. Now I have a button for any and every occasion.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I pulled out all my storage containers, spread them out on the floor and sorted. Had several with missing lids or bottoms, so threw them out! It only took a few minutes.

The cabinet is now organized and containers are now neatly stacked with the lid attached. It is amazing how much more space I now have from just that one task. I will be organizing the other cabinets; one each day until they are all done.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  3:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read the articles on eatwild.com and read MaryJane's take on grass-fed beef vs. corporate raised.

I am better educated on the subject and will avoid the corporately raised beef.

I found out many things I was not aware of; not only about meat, but produce as well. It's sickening what they do to the animals to make them "cheaper", but those cheaper meats are loaded with water weight. The antibiotics need to be avoided, especially since so many of us are now allergic to them! The most memorable line of the readings is "When it comes to meat - you are what THEY ate." It will be tough since it's limited here, but I want the grass-fed organic beef. The sources online seem to offer larger quantities delivered than what my family typically purchases.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  3:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Since I already had numerous buttons, they were not difficult to find. Since I can't remember how long I have had some of them in the big jar I'm thinking I started earning this badge back in the 90's. Premonition? I know some are very old because they were Grandma's, maybe Great Grandma's. I now have them more organized and have pulled out the special ones to be my collectibles.

The special buttons are too "special" to use! I need to find out more information on some of my buttons to make sure they are ones that won't be a mistake if I mess them up or lose them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  3:51:08 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“When I began to learn how to do origami, I found it relaxing. So whenever I needed something to 'occupy' my hands and had the chance, I created another item.

I learned new designs to include a box I use on my desk to hold paper clip, etc, a lotus flower, a dragon and other items which are cute.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Jill Schrader (OneCountryChick, #6177) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“Since I live in the woods, out of town, this was an obvious merit badge to earn. I have always loved identifying trees, as well as native wildflowers, mammals, birds, and insects. I'm always pulling out my reference books when I see something past my window that I can't identify.

I take my books with me whenever we go camping and keep them handy at my coffee table. My relatives know I'm the go-to person to ask if it comes to a nature question. I about have my field guides memorized by picture. If I don't know the answer, we look it up together and find the answer!

I have Western Red Cedar, Western Larch, Douglas Fir, Quaking Aspen, Lodgepole Pine, White Pine, and Hemlock growing on my property. I love to study nature and am always learning and love to share this information with others as they show an interest in the great outdoors!

I was able to identify most, if not all the trees growing around me. My uncle was a logger, so he has taught me the common names, as well as some of the "slang" names which often go by color, such as a Ponderosa Pine is also known as a yellow pine, a Douglas Fir is also known as a red fir. I have enjoyed being able to identify trees whether I'm here at home, or traveling and see something different.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  4:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Dyeing for Color Merit Badge!

“I started a dye journal and swatch-card file, dying both plant and protein fibers. I saved the recipes and a swatch in my journal and share my recipes and results on the Farmgirl Chatroom.
I dyed yarn, fabric, and roving, spun the roving and crocheted the roving and yarn. Here is a photo of the finished hot pad.

I made many posts on Farmgirl Chatroom about my adventures in plant dyes and how dying plant and animal fibers sometimes produce different results. It was really quite interesting and quite fun. Plant dyes are often a lot safer than chemical dyes, so I could just toss my used dye bath into my flower garden. I plan to plant a dyers garden next year so I can expand my color range to reds and blues as well as more yellows.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I entered my crazy cake into the Washington State Fair. It is a moist chocolate cake with a little cayenne for kick and filled with blushing peach jam.

I didn't even win a "you showed up" ribbon. All the cakes that won ribbons had icing on them.

I did get to see some fabulous needlework while I was there though.”

[

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  2:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made a doll for a farm girl's new born baby. I used just about every crochet stitch to make all the flowers that adorned the doll's dress as well as the dress itself.

The doll came out really nice and the flowers around the entire border of the dress added just the right touch to make the gift special for this baby and her mother.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  3:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Amber Schrumpf (mylilponyofDOOM, #6345) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“The 2nd week of March I dug up my snake's old heat lamp and pet carrier secured 2 18x18x24" cardboard boxes and we were off.

Once at the feed store we picked up a starter kit, wood shavings and 3 adorable Black Australorp chicks. As soon as we arrived home my fuzzy burden was taken off my hands and I went to work setting up the brooder. I cut one corner of each box and taped them together to make a 18x36x24 enclosure and placed it in the secure room (no cats) and spent the next 6 weeks monitoring the temperature their food and water intake and for signs of illness until they were old enough to move out in to the backyard.

The girls are now laying! There is some debate over if Skipper is very quiet rooster or a really butch hen but they lay about 2 to 3 eggs a day and I need to learn more ways to make eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  3:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“Our community is quite small, but we do have a few community organizations. I decided to help prepare food for the annual fund raising bar-b-que event for the Westport Village Society. On Friday, May 8th there were 4 of us to start washing and dicing vegetables. We worked 3 hours to prepare for the big cooking day on Saturday. On Saturday, May 9th, 3 of us prepared huge pots of beans, made gallons of dressing for coleslaw, prepared large trays of vegetarian stew. We worked 7 hours. On Sunday, May 10th, we baked trays of corn bread, cooked beans, made coleslaw, cooked the vegetarian stew, and transported the prepared food to the event site. We worked 4 hours.

The fund raiser was a success, and the food was delicious. I put in about 14 hours on this event.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Spoke with my mother and asked for names, dates and places to go along with the stories she has always loved to tell over the years.

My mother is 90, and it really pleased her that I was asking for specific information on the family. She ended up sending me information and a photo of my father. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I joined Ancestry.com to start filling out a family tree with the information I received from my mother.

I used/am using ancestry.com to find information on my family. I also use Mooseroots. I am able to go back to the early 1800s on my father's side of the family, but my mother's side has been difficult...trying to research common last names like Jones and Garcia are though! I am still digging!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  1:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“Last February we decided we would try to eat more organic food. We started off with organic milk. It tasted a little different, but we got used to it. Then we tried organic eggs. The yolks are so orange! We moved on to organic turkey bacon, which doesn't really taste like regular bacon, but it is tasty enough to keep serving it.

Organic food is tasty but expensive!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  1:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Set up a 3 sided composting bin. We keep tossing or garden waste into it - the pile is as tall as I am! I just finished reading "The Earth Moved."

I asked around and found out I needed to "heat up" my compost. Found a woman who gives away the manure her horses generate, so got a few bags to add to the bin and into our veggie beds. Hopefully this will get the pile "cooked" down.

I was surprised how interesting worms can be! I am sad to say I can't find any worm holes with castings in my yard! Drought in California is affecting everything!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  1:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“Found a local heirloom seed provider - Bountiful Gardens - and used quite a few of their seeds for our garden.

We planted heirloom tomatoes, quinoa, amaranth, peas, and beans. The amaranth didn't grow, and one variety of peas was waxy, but everything else did great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“Watched the trailer, and read "Secret Lives of Bees." I have plenty of bee friendly plants in my yard, but decided to let native plants take over a little bit so the bees would have more variety in their diet.

I let milkweed, dandelions, and vetch grow with the roses and in the "lawn." Raised the wheels on the mower so the vetch and clover heads didn't all get trimmed. I went out and sat in the vetch with the bees buzzing about....it was amazing to watch them go about their business!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I froze peas, tomatoes, and summer squash. I'm not a fan of frozen peas, but it was nice to have them on hand to add to our first stew of the season. The frozen summer squash is tough ... I used the frozen tomatoes to make a wonderful pasta sauce.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I painted a room in a very old house. I had to repair holes, sand, primer then paint.

Also, I read the book "Dare to Repair."

The paint job turned out so beautiful! I think my husband wants to hide all of his tools after seeing me read Dare to Repair. We are going to work on cleaning behind the refrigerator and cleaning out the dryer vent together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Becca Killion (#6063) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“Picked 3 local hikes that I had never been on - VanDamm, Spring Hill, and Wilderness Lodge Nature Conservancy. Saw Quail, Redwoods, and Poppies - our state flora and fauna. Built a campfire.

It was fun to hike in my own "neighborhood". I went to local camping areas and used their trails. I am surrounded by Redwoods and Poppies where I live, and the Quail are regular visitors to our yard.

Due to the drought here in California my campfire was built inside the bar-b-que, but I used paper, kindling and wood (NOT briquets!). The marshmellows toasted up just fine!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“Harvest is starting to slow down in Wisconsin as the days are getting darker and colder. I froze local natural blueberries by spreading them out on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment. Once they were firm, they went into a quart Ziploc bag. Green beans were blanched and then frozen as well. Very pretty next to the berries. Finally, I get together with my neighbor and freeze corn. We shuck, and then I cut the corn from the cobs after she cleans them. She takes the corn from me and cooks it a bit. Then it gets dumped into cake pans to cool before bagging.

The berries were the easiest to do by far, but I enjoy putting up corn with Mrs. Olsen the most.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“This year I grew carrots, onions and radishes in our garden. My kids are still forming an opinion on the radish, but carrots and onions are featured heavily in our diet. The only native root vegetable I could find for our area was the Jerusalem artichoke.

I wish I would have grown parsnips as those are a favorite. Next year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“This badge was a family affair. We decided to take close friends who had never been camping with us. They had no idea what was involved but the five of them were up to the adventure. Our children informed theirs of the "no electronics" rule while camping and told them to bring their fishing poles.

We had a blast. The kids got up early every morning to go fishing in the lake and then played in the pool. The men enjoyed building and then cooking over a fire while my girlfriend and I relaxed over copies of MaryJanesFarm magazine. They said they would definitely do it again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  3:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I dehydrated pears, bananas, apples, tomatoes, and nectarines. This spring I dehydrated jerky and backpacking meals. My dehydrator pretty much lived on my clothes dryer the whole growing season. When I made the backpacking meals I used my frozen carrots from last year to add to the dehydrator. Then when backpacking this summer we rehydrated a great teriyaki chicken pasta salad for lunch.

I love storing food up for winter or less simple cooking times. It makes me feel ready for bad weather or unexpected problems. It is so easy to run to the store for something we "need" and yet so much better to just go get something that is already in our home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Deter (Mirabella, #6670) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I do a lot of embroidery but I stick to just a couple of simple stitches, so my goal for this project was to use a bunch of new stitches and not use my usual ones. I copied the design from a coloring book. I used 14 different stitches.

I think it turned out nice! I learned a bunch of new stitches that I'll have to use on a future project.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page