Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  4:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (kesinmn, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have been doing cross stitch for years so I tried something different. I tried perforated paper. I had never used anything other than fabric.

It was hard because you can't wash the item when done. I had to be particularly careful. I am giving them as gifts to some girls in my life for Halloween.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  2:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have successfully been recycling for six months now! Everyone in the house is participating and my grown up daughters have started too.

I am proud to say that the recycle bins are now filling up much, much faster than the trash can! We have also started using our own water bottles using water filtered at home instead of buying bottled water. I've also started buying food staples like grains from the bins at the store instead of individual boxes on the shelf.

Thank you so much for encouraging this change in our home.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected six reusable bags and commit to using them. I now have eight bags - two of them I made from chicken feed bags.

I knew that six bags would not be enough to hold all the groceries when I only go to the store a couple of times a month so I now have eight of them. I do be sure to take them back out to the car as soon as I empty them because I know it would be easy for me to forget them otherwise. I'm happy to say I am now a (reusable) bag lady!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge in two ways. We started a compost heap this year and I also started a worm ranch with the Worm Factory 360 from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. I read Worms Eat My Garbage too.

I've have been amazed at how quickly the compost heap is turning into that wonderful dark composted soil. Sometimes I find the chickens scratching around in there but I think that just adds to the usefulness. I've successfully moved the worms into new trays twice and both their castings and the "tea" have helped my plants so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Since the chives and basil that I grew for the Intermediate badge went so well, I was ready to expand my little herb garden. I went back to the vendor at the local farmer's market and purchased parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (hope you all are singing along with me!). I also added lemon balm and spearmint to one of my side flower beds. Everything has grown wonderfully! I invited my sisters and daughters to a dinner and surprised them with herb bundles and a handmade recipe book.

We had so much fun sipping lemon balm sun tea and relaxing and laughing. We picked herbs and cooked together. Our menu was caprese salad with tomatoes and basil from my garden. We grilled steaks and topped them with butter mixed with parsley and sage. We also cut baking potatoes almost in half and placed a sprig of fresh rosemary and let them bake and get infused with that lovely flavor and aroma. Having herbs so close at hand has really helped my cooking too!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“Cross-stitch can be done on any fabric, and counted cross-stitch can be done on any even weave fabric, provided you can see the weave. One of the more common fabrics is Aida, but there is also linen even weave and burlap. Each fabric comes in a "count" which is the number of "stitches" per inch. For example, Aida-32 is very fine as you can get 32 cross-stitches in an inch, while Aida-14 is more coarse with only 14 cross-stitches per inch.

I did a cross-stitch letter and fairy on 28 count linen using silk thread. Most of it was done over 2 threads, but part was done over 1 thread (oh my aching eyes). I then cleaned and pressed it, and had it mounted.

The letter and fairy is beautiful and fun, and hangs over my bed. It brings me pleasure each time I look at it. I learned not to cross-stitch with silk threads if I have been doing a lot of hand stitching, like quilting, as my hands tend to be rough and they snag the thread. I have been cross stitching since I was in high school, but this was the first time I used silk and linen. What luxury!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I currently have rolled fiberglass insulation in the walls and blown fiberglass in the attic. I can tell by the snow melt pattern on my roof last year that I am losing heat around the heat vents in the ceiling and could use more insulation in those areas. My insulation is not the best, yet not the worst. If I ever remodel the exterior of my home, I can upgrade to a more effective foam board.

My windows are aluminum frame and are not very effective. They perspire horribly, especially during the rainy seasons. When upgrading, I will go to a double pane vinyl window.

Puget Sound Energy has a number of rebates or credits available for homeowners. We have taken advantage of the CFL and LED lightbulbs. We have talked with neighbors about projects they have done to improve energy efficiency and lower costs, and how difficult it was to make the changes with PSE.

To lower heating costs in the winter time, we install foam blocks in the screens for our foundation, but we haven't yet figured out how to keep the chickens from pecking them clean. Doing this controls the airflow under the house.

We also either close or partially close the vents in the bedrooms and kitchen so as not to heat those parts of the house. Cooking heats the kitchen just fine.

For my windows, I made custom curtains with a special lining that blocks heat and cold. We open them according to the temperatures we want to let in, and close them when we want the temperatures blocked. They work great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have spent another 20 hours with my friend Gail. We write letters to each other and visit on the phone often. When I went back to Georgia, we spent a couple of days together. I took her out to all the places she wanted to visit and we talked with friends, worked in the garden, got delicious food to nibble on, and shopped our favorite natural foods store.

It was a lovely time. We have a good time visiting, talking about things we are interested in and swapping stories. She is not getting any younger, so getting this time together helps her to stay active and gives me a chance to hear some wonderful stories of yesteryear. I always look forward to our visits.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I spent some time going through the Pierce County Extension Office website looking for a list of local wild edibles and their seasons, but found nothing, so I went to the internet.

I found a blog giving a fairly comprehensive list of the rules and requirements of foraging in Washington State by the different areas open to the public, and I found a list of mushroom harvesting rules by area, including when the season is open to mushroom harvesting.

I have a number of book on wild edibles for the Northwest. It seems that the standard limit is a gallon bucket per day per person for most anything, and 3 gallons of mixed items per person per day.

Time to get out a big calendar and plan foraging trips based on seasons I find.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  4:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Cj Armstong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“Our home is not in need of different or replacement insulation. We have, however, replaced weatherstripping around doors due to sun damage or because our former cat tore it all to pieces.

My sister, who is handicapped, and her hubby built a nice enclosed sun porch on their house and I assisted in installing the insulation in the ceiling and around the windows and doors in that room. I'm envious of this room as it's wonderful.

I have also assisted my daughter in utilizing curtains, blinds, etc. in her home to help insulate. She lives in the Arizona desert, so the main thing there is the blazing, three-digit, summer heat.

It's always good to reassess insulation issues over time due to things wearing out, etc.

I'm glad our house is still in "good shape" regarding insulation in the walls, ceiling and floor and we have insulating "honeycomb" blinds on all the windows which makes a huge difference.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“I obtained a used toolbox on wheels, cleaned it up, and stored my tools inside, making sure I labeled the drawers with the types of tools within.

I also made a planter out of cedar.

Having the tools on wheels is very handy as projects are often done based on space available.

I also learned that cedar is a soft wood that will split if you put the screws in too deep, but the drill has speed settings. Once I slowed the drill down, things went much better. Drilling holes first did not stop it from splitting.

My daughter and I made the first one together, then I made the second one. I am going to line them both with plastic, then plant my garlic in them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I learned how to split wood according to MaryJane's "Brains not Brawn."

Like all methods, there are pros and cons. First, get multiple wedges in case they get stuck, and make sure you sharpen them regularly. Hitting metal on metal will cause the impact ends to mushroom over time, and pushing those mushrooms through wood is difficult, so be sure to grind them smooth periodically. Also, if you have tendonitis like I do, the impact will jar your joints and make them ache. So be ready with an ice pack at the end of the day to bring the swelling down.

To prevent this jarring of the bones, I have been known to borrow a hydraulic wood splitter and go to town. I know, it's cheating. But when you have to get 8 cords put away for winter, it's easier on the bones.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“I took my children to the rock museum near Cartersville, GA when we were there this past summer. They have a great display of both local and international rocks, minerals, fossils, and gemstones. They also have a display where you try to identify each item.

Comparing raw gem stones and cut gemstones really points out the fact that raw gems look like ordinary rocks. I have a piece of dark green tourmaline that is about the size of my fist, and it looks like a big black rock. It was very interesting to see the different areas of the United States where some of the rocks are from.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I have researched birds native to my area, and made a wish list of birds I wish to see.

Of the birds on my list, I have seen the bald eagle, junco, robin (she really like my worms), goldfinch, a couple of varieties of hawks, sap suckers (woodpeckers), hooded mergansers, mallards, Canadian geese, several varieties of swallows, crows/ravens (working to distinguish the two), and a number of other birds yet to be positively identified.

It is amazing how many of the different birds actually live on our small farm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I ordered MaryJane's ChillOver powder back in 2013 (the exact date eludes me). I have explored some of the recipes in MaryJane's Ideabook and magazines. And I host a ChillOver taste test for my family.

It took some doing for me the get the powder mixed correctly so that I didn't get the gritty texture in some of the things I used it in.

During our German week, I substituted it into a number of the desserts (replaced gelatin) and my family loved them.

I experimented with the recipes in the Ideabook to greater or lesser success, depending on the juice I used and the number of people 'helping.'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We have gone hiking not just trough the country side, but through the city as well. We have gone on scavenger hunts for ingredients for meals while traveling to and from family visits. We have done at least 5 different adventures that we had not done before.

1. Visited a local lighthouse
2. Walked all over Seattle's Pioneer District
3. Did the trails at the Hoh Rainforest 4. Walked Ruby Beach
5. Climbed to the lookout tower at Sunrise on Mt Rainier

It was a lot of fun taking the kids and going these different places. When we were walking around Seattle, we went to a museum that showed the history of Seattle's creation as well as the planned event of the new tunnel being dug under Seattle. It was quite informative.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“On a windy day, I took and incense stick around to check my doors and windows. I then added weather stripping to the garage door and the front door, and added a layer of padding to the top of the entrance to the crawl space.

We have started winterizing the buildings, which means putting styrofoam in the vents under the house, cleaning the cobwebs and turning on the heat light in the well house, turning on the heat light in the chicken coop, closing all the windows in the house and barn, caulking any where that needs it and weather stripping all the other places that can't be caulked.

The door to the garage and the entrance to the crawl space (in my closet floor) are the two hardest places. I added extra padding onto the top of the floor on the crawl space entrance, but the door to the garage is another challenge. It does not line up correctly with the floor and has an immediate step down as you go through the door. Because of how it opens, I cannot even put a rolled up towel in front of it. I have adjusted the threshold plate as high as I can and put a rubber piece across the bottom of the door, so we will see how long it lasts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  4:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Knitting is hard, but I will conquer it one of these days/years. I'm making wash cloths and sugar scrubs for Christmas. I took some classes and it helped. I think the only way to learn this, it to practice and rip it out.

I think they turned out okay.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  4:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“My Mom and I went through her recipe box. It has all my Grandmother's, Great Aunts and other family members recipes. I have used them a lot over the years. My children keep calling me for these recipes as I called my Mom way back when for the same ones. Now that I have written them down I will create a book for my children, nieces and nephews. Christmas presents???

Mom and I had a good time reminiscing about who made what for holidays, picnic and birthday. It turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I take my recycling to center about every two weeks and have been for many years. The recycling they accept has changed from time to time. I went on line and looked up the do's and don't's about what to recycle.They accept paper, some plastics, cardboard, glass, metal, TV's, batteries and tires (with some items there is a charge). They don't accept window glass, blue glass, Styrofoam and clam shell containers. No plastic bags! Which they let you know every time you go in.

I like to recycle and I think it's very important for everyone to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  4:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I have an old house with old doors. I oiled the squeaks right out of them. I cleaned my hand tools with steel wool and a squirt of oil on the hinges. Garden tool and cleaned and in the tool shed for the winter.

I clean my tools every year to keep them in good shape and my doors are silent. It's all good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I earned this Merit Badge on my break at work. I turned off the lights at work and listened to music. I put up a wall chime that says "Seek Harmony" and took slow deep breaths for 5 minutes.

I was great. It felt good. I'm going to try to do this everyday at work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“When we first moved to our little farm in Ravensbourne back in February, the first thing I wanted to do was get some chickens. It just so happened that a work colleague was moving to north QLD and needed to find a home for her 5 chickens and 2 ducks. It was perfect timing. We relocated the flock to our place almost immediately. We have since constructed a chicken tractor (mobile chicken coop) so that the flock has fresh ground routinely. They free-range whenever we are at home for the day, otherwise, their house is moved frequently to diversify their diet. They also get kitchen scraps and laying pellets. Their view out over the paddock is to die for. Yes, they are extremely spoiled.

We are so happy with our mobile chicken coop. It is much cleaner that the old chicken pen that was originally on the property. The flock is mowing and fertilizing our ground and they are routinely given a new "salad bar". Not to mention the copious amount of eggs that we are getting from them. The yolks are such a deep orange color, and my duck eggs make the best pavlova. We have so many eggs that our friends are enjoying the bounty as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Richardson (Henrietta cluckington, #5875) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I live in CO and the rest of my family lives in Texas. I recently visited over the summer for two months. I spent time with my grandma playing games. Her favorite is Rail Road Canasta. She is a Farm Girl Member. Her name is Valene Brewer.

I love spending time with my grandma.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Kris Bulla (MamaBulla, #3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I live in the country and admire many horses I see as I drive around. I actually own a horse, Ladybug the 16hh appendix. I have learned a lot about horses hands on and plan on using her to help some of my Farmgirl sisters earn their Horse Dreams merit badge. I am looking forward to learning about gypsy vanners and reading the book to earn the intermediate badge soon.

Knowing I was working on my Horse Dreams merit badge made me slow down and appreciate all the horses I drive by every day. I've also decided to take some time and practice drawing horses, using my own Lafybug as a model.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page