Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I attended classes last summer and learned how to make several different cheeses. I went to Waco Texas to learn how to make cheese. I attended the beginner and advance classes. They are going to have an even more advance class that I just might sign up for. It is a pretty precise art, but if you learn how to properly handle the ingredients and equipment, you will be richly rewarded with great cheese.

Today after church I came home and made yogurt, butter and buttermilk. I made a low fat plain yogurt. It is my favorite and I can add in any fruit when I want. I made a half gallon of yogurt. Almost half of that ended up in the freezer mixed with strawberries for frozen yogurt pops. I make our supply of butter as it is needed. I started out with a half gallon of heavy cream and ended up with a little over 2 cups of butter and over a cup of buttermilk. I freeze the butter milk in ice cube trays. An ice cube is a 2 tablespoon measurement. When I have a recipe that needs buttermilk I defrost the necessary cubes and add the rich flavor to my recipes.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I planted a wonderful garden this year. I followed the principles of square foot gardening. My husband and I built (6) 4 x 4 raised beds with cedar boards.

The list of vegetables and herbs that we planted this year are all organic and heirloom seeds and/or starters. We planted: 3 different varieties of tomato...plum, beefsteak and German; Red and yellow sweet peppers; Banana peppers; sweet corn; cantaloupe; watermelon; zucchini; gold potatoes; sweet potatoes; sweet basil, rosemary, mint, thyme and oregano. I also planted marigolds throughout the 4 x 4's. I read the book that was required. It was enjoyable reading. I would never want to attempt that type of gardening. Beginning in homesteading for our family is busy enough.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I utilize herbs for my cooking only as of right now. As winter comes closer and during winter, I would like to investigate utilizing them in a more medicinal manner. I have planted an herb garden this year and growing 5 different herbs.

I planted: sweet basil, rosemary, mint, oregano, and thyme. I use sweet basil in so many summer pasta and veggie recipes. I use mint every day with my unsweetened, decaffeinated iced green tea. I use thyme with my beef stews and several pork dishes. My oregano goes into my Italian and Greek dishes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I built my own trellis and bean ladder for my gardens this year. I did not grow beans, but used the bean ladder for my zucchinis. Keeping them off the soil was great. I utilized extra equipment that my husband had left over after he fenced in my garden area.

I used extra weld-wire fencing and t posts. I used these for my tomatoes. I used square foot gardening. I put the trellis' at the edge of 4 of them for the tomatoes to grown up. I made the bean ladder with the same equipment. I didn't grow beans this year (too many from last year), but I used the ladder for my zucchini. Both of them worked beautifully. I am so please with the square foot gardening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I completed the Beginner level by starting a multi-media Christian Art Journal.

I have been fascinated with Zentangle for a while. When I read this badge requirements, I knew I would finally do it. I purchased colored pencils, chalk, colored markers and water colors. I wanted to make a Christian Art Journal and decided to do it now. I found a cute picture on Pinterest using some Zentangle and mostly Doodling. The picture is of a clothes line in a farmyard with flowers and birds with a Bible verse at the bottom. I used my mechanical drawing pencil and then colored it all in using my colored pencils. I am so excited about this first picture and can't wait to do more. The Lord has given me so many pictures to be inspired with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I researched quite a bit on stress lately. You can find articles about it just about everywhere you look now. It is surprising how much it affects you once you pay attention to it.

I have health problems that I have to monitor all the time. It is surprising how stress can play such a huge factor on your health. This is one of the reasons my husband and I moved to Arkansas after I retired from 21 years serving in the Coast Guard. I found in this research a method of relaxing that I am finding to be great. What I do is sit on my meditation bench, clear my mind, I think of my favorite color.....light sage. I allow the color to fill my mind and thoughts. I can feel myself relaxing into this color.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First-Aid Merit Badge!

“I have assembled 6 first aid kits for our home and put 5 fire extinguishers throughout our house. We check our smoke detectors twice a year in June and January.

I assembled and placed a first aid kit in our two vehicles, one in our garage, one in my husbands workshop, one in our kitchen, and one upstairs in my craft room. We purchased and placed a fire extinguisher in our upstairs living room, the main floor in our kitchen, our master bedroom, downstairs in my husbands hobby room and one in the garage.

Thank you for prompting me to finally get these done!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a Beginner's sewing kit for my step-daughter. She is very much an outdoor tomboy. She loves her horses and riding four-wheelers. She recently got married and is now discovering there is another side to being a wife.

I used an 8 oz jam jar (love recycling). I put the following in the jar: 6 sewing needle pack; black, tan, brown, white thread wound on a piece of cardboard; a small tape measure that measures 12 inches (I made this); small pair of scissors that folds upon itself for compactness; a white, black, brown small buttons; I made a rectangle shaped 1" x 3" pincushion that was filled with cotton and a little sand; 10 straight pins inserted into the pincushion; and 5 safety pins of varying sizes pinned to the other side of the pincushion. I put the pincushion in the jar instead of on top of the jar. I painted the lid blue and with a sharpie pen I wrote sewing kit on the lid. She loves it. It was a first sewing kit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting now for about 5 years. I am a member of a knitting group at my other church in Louisiana (we have a home there and visit frequently). We knit prayer shawls for people that need a tender embrace in their time of need.

With size 13 needles and 2 skeins of Lion Brand Yarn Homespun Painted Desert. I knitted a simple prayer shawl. My pattern is: cast on 50 stitches. Knit the first 5 rows. Row 6: knit 5 stitches, knit 40 stitches, knit 5 stitches. Row 7: knit 5 stitches, purl 40 stitches, knit 5 stitches. Repeat Row 6 and 7 until desired length. Knit 5 final rows. Bind off. Weave thread into shawl. Finish.

This is my favorite shawl and works up beautifully. It took me about 4 - 6 hours to complete this shawl. I knitted it on a road trip last weekend. My daughter-in-law was with us so I taught her how to make this. She was a very fast learner. She is currently on row 12.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I researched buttons from the 1800's. It is my favorite time period for clothing. I was raised for a few years in Japan. So I researched buttons in the United States, England, Ireland, and Japan.

It is amazing how the different countries of the world's fashion changed so greatly in the 1800's. So many of the changes of clothing prompted home sewers and even industry to have to come up with different and varying products to accommodate their designs. There are ingenious button designs out there. Some buttons are works of art themselves. I inherited my husbands grandmother's sewing kit and button collection. The materials of buttons include: metal, wood, china, rubber, glass, bone and bakelite.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I made 3 button bracelets today.

I used half inch cream colored buttons to build the bracelet. I used a 1 inch brown crystal button as a center piece on the bracelet. I used DMC floss in chocolate brown to affix them together. I am keeping one and the other two will be Christmas presents for my mother and my mother-in-law. Thanks for the Christmas present idea!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My button collection currently total over 100. I inherited my husband's grandmother's sewing kit. She had this great fascination with buttons.

I keep my button collection in my crafting room on a shelf in beautiful jars that I have collected myself. My grandmother-in-law kept all of the buttons in round tins. By the time I inherited them....they were quite rusted. They fit beautifully in the room....it is decorated in a shabby chic style.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This summer my husband made me a raised bed for me to start a herb garden. I have been doing some research and reading book on the subject. I didn't want to use railroad ties or treated wood. And rough oak would need to be replaced eventually. So we used cedar. I got some lemon sage, dill, oregano, rosemary and cilantro cuttings from a friend. I have used the cilantro for salsa and the oregano to season pasta sauce.

My herb garden is doing well. I got some mismatched forks at the Good Will Store and used wide mouth canning lids to make makers for my herbs. It's so nice to go out and cut fresh herbs for cooking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Ellen Bailey (#5675) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Since I have been collecting buttons for years, I thought I would narrow down my search to only mother of pearl buttons. So, for the past two months I have been searching for mother of pearl buttons. I came up with 56 (well, actually 57, but one of the tiny ones bounced out of my hand onto the floor, never to be recovered!

My collection turned out great! I found my mother's old button tin that I hadn't looked through in years, and found several pretty buttons in addition to three mother of pearl buckles that, more than likely she removed from belts when she was done wearing them. Unfortunately, although I took a picture of my collection, I can't figure out how to upload it. Maybe next time ...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Montague (Lady in Pearls, #3466) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I researched the herbs: chamomile, peppermint, catnip, lemon balm, and elderberry.

I had heard that chamomile was relaxing, but after researching I learned that it actually relaxes the diaphragm and stomach to allow us deeper breath. It is recommended for anyone who "carries" their stress in their midsection.

Peppermint is stimulating and helps improve memory and focus.

Catnip helps reduce hyperactivity and eases colic, stomach ache, and insomnia.

Lemon balm helps to ease anxiety, stress and it is antiviral, which helps the body fortify itself.

Elderberry is excellent for cold viruses, particularly influenza. The berries are also high in vitamin C.

I've tried chamomile, peppermint, and lemon balm, all of which I liked. Chamomile and lemon balm are particularly my favorites before bedtime.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  4:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie McMillan (Stephmac, #5946) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have completed the Beginners level in knitting. I knitted a dishcloth in a pattern that I hadn't tried before. Also, I have been teaching one of my daughters to knit as well!

I think it turned out well. I sent it off to Debbie from Colorado for my first ever Farm Girl Swap! I am new here but already am enjoying this very much.

I didn't take a picture of it and I have already sent it off in her box for the swap.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., #5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I love chai lattes so I took a recipe to make it and made it from scratch. It was delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  4:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., #5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“We put together a beginners sewing kit with our homemade pin keeper. I used mason jars to store it. It was very cute and fun to put together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  1:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Scheidt (Sharon Scheidt, #6026) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting buttons from my Mom's clothes since she passed away so I can put them on memory quilts for me and my sisters. I also got so buttons from a quilt shop. I love buttons! Not sure why I love them but I do!

They are in a old jar, looks like a old Milk jar. That way I can see all the pretty colors!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  1:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Scheidt (Sharon Scheidt, #6026) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I made today from my garden, Roasted Grape Tomato Sauce and Froze for later use, Made Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce and froze also, And Pesto from the Basil in my Garden then I chopped up some of my Green Peppers and froze too. I went on the Chat room for the first time to tell all about what I made today! I had so much fun today in my kitchen and Garden!

Everything turned out just great! Can't wait to go to my freezer this fall and winter to eat the food from my Garden!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  1:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Tara Felts (hippietara, #6027) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I made a pretty pencil caddy for my daughter. It turned out well. I spray painted a basket and embellished it with art flowers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I spent some time reading about stress and destressing. I also read about how moms tend to be more stressed at home than at work. I think this is because raising kids is more important to us than our daily life at work. The outcome is more critical. I also find that since having kids I don't take time for relaxation anymore. Before kids I spent time almost everyday doing yoga and spending time calmly sitting whether it was reading or praying. Once kids came less decompressing time happened. Now it almost never happens.

I have seen how my body seems to fail when extreme stress and exhaustion take over. Last year my husband had to take me to the ER to rehydrate me and run tests to find that I was simply exhausted. A week of mostly bed rest and I was back on fairly full function. So many health problems can be the result of constant stress.

I spent around fifteen minutes last weekend sitting quietly, resting my body and mind. I then spent time praying and relaxing. It was amazing how much my body refreshed from my time. This week I have managed another five days with rest time. I haven't managed to do it everyday yet but it has been nice. I am hoping to earn the Intermediate badge for this soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have had chickens over the years. This year we aquired Buff Orphingtons. They are in a moveable pen with feed buckets for nesting areas that is moved every couple of days. This gives them more fresh grazing in addition to the laying pellets, chicken scratch, vegetable cuttings from the kitchen, crushed egg shells that have been baked. The egg shells provide extra calcium. The nesting buckets are easy to remove and clean. My plan is to start making my own feed mix as organically as I can. I ordered dried mealworms to give them added protein during molting season.

This picture was taken during the snow we had here in Texas. A light was also kept on them for extra warmth. We had eggs most of winter this way. Having our own chickens provides us with fresh eggs that we share with our extended family. I added an ending date but this project is ongoing with plans to raise some for our freezer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have had a Nubian dairy herd going on 3 years. I am currently milking 15. Before acquiring a milking machine, my husband was helping me milk them by hand. The machine really saves us time and easier on my hands and I can get it done by myself now. I taught my oldest grand-daughter how to milk. She is 11 years old.

My grand-daughter has really enjoyed helping at milking time when she is here. My daughter-in-law helps out now when she can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We were gifted with a grass fed calf in exchange for feeding the livestock on a friend's farm. We had it butchered and processed. Knowing where it came from is a great feeling in feeding our family. The meat is very tasty and good. We plan to buy now from the ranchers local to us. I make soft cheese with our goat milk from our farm.

Knowing that this calf was humanely raised and fed naturally will make it better for us to consume. The meat turned out to be very good in texture and taste. The pictures enclosed are the pictures of animals and scenes from our farm that will be made into notecards.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page