Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  4:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My household has been recycling in this location for about 1 1/2 years. My household currently recycles: glass, plastic, cardboard, tin and aluminum. We do not have any curbside services since we are rural. Once a month we take all the recycled items to the appropriate businesses in town. We donate them instead of sell them. I know that some businesses will pay for some items, but we choose not to sell them.

I love being able to turn recycled items in for a second life....or maybe even a third life. My husband and I even look for products when we are buying that are made from recycled items or post consumer items. The list is enlist what they can do with recycling.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  4:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I went through the house and oiled the door and hinges of our 20 doors in the house. My husband was very amused by me dragging my step stool throughout the house....I am 5'3" and the upper hinges are much higher. I cleaned and oiled the chains, speed gears, and brake gears on our two bikes. They really need it...we didn't clean them last fall when we put them away. We did not clean our garden tools in the fall either. My job at cleaning and oiling them was a big job. We had already started using some of them for this years garden. It did bring to my attention some of the tools that haven't been used for a couple of years. We are considering donating them. I have to figure out if my husband will need them or just try to hoard them.

I am actually afraid to ride bikes. I was in an accident as a child and still leery of them. Cleaning and oiling them helped to bring some of my fear down. I was able to see the working order of the gears and chain and knew they were in perfect shape.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  4:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Lore (#5962) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“Our bedroom door did not seem to appreciate the oiling that I gave to it. It was sticking on one side due to the swelling of the wood with the humidity. As I read this badges requirements, I decided that was the door I would fix. I found that it was sticking in the top right corner area. It seemed to only be about 5 inches long. I was able to figure out the 5 inch area with my level. I used some sandpaper and sanded it down slightly until it was balanced with the rest of the door. I did go through the house and verified that the locks on the doors were in great working order....especially the main doors to the outside.

I really enjoy working with little projects through the house. We have quite a few projects still to complete on this house and we really are looking forward to it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:00:55 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“There is a lot that could be said about the differences between commercially manufactured and organic, cruelty-free health and beauty products. There are so many products available and it can be a tremendous challenge to learn about each one and the pros and cons.

I did considerable research on products and will continue to do so as I look for alternatives or learn more about products available.

Basically, "cruelty-free" means the products have not been tested on animals by the manufacturer. "Organic" is basically the umbrella description for natural, non-toxic, and chemical-free products that are safe for us and the environment.

Over the past 4-5 years I've been gradually replacing some health care products with natural alternatives. Some of those would be deodorant, soak/bath salts, and lotion.

It's been great to be able to find sources for natural essential oils to use for scenting my own products. It's also been great to have success with making some products that I really like.

For this beginner badge I made a foot soak detox product that uses 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/2 cup epsom salt and 1 cup baking soda. I used a few drops of lavender EO I purchased from another farmgirl to scent the salts. I also decided to follow the outlined foot soak detox protocal, to enjoy that benefit as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“The process goes on for finding recipes for natural health care and beauty products to replace commercial products that are not the best for us or the environment.

And a process it is because one needs to be sure of what you're using as a replacement. Are you satisfied with the product? Are you able to obtain the ingredients with ease and economy?

Two more products for my home are very bath salts and pump handsoap which use very simple recipes.

BATH SALTS: I like to mix just a "one bath" batch at a time so I can use different scents. 1/4 cup epsom salt and 1/4 cup sea salt. I like lavendar, rose and jasmine scents and will experiment with others.

PUMP HANDSOAP: this works well in a "foaming" dispenser bottle. Fill it 1/2 full with castile soap (Dr. Bronner's) and 1/2 full of water. I happen to have lavender scented castile soap and it will last a long time in this house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (#5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I just finished reading "Blogging for Bliss" and have been using it to update and re-invent my blog. It's a blog about my daily life including book reviews, nature, cooking, and projects, and probably more things as it picks up speed!

How has this turned out? You tell me! 87 page views in one day (though my average is between 3 and 20)
themadhousefraurenaissance.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“Minerals are naturally occurring solid substances with a chemical formula and ordered atomic structure. Rocks are aggregates of minerals. The three types of rocks are igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary. We use rocks and minerals everyday to files our nails, pipe water and electricity to our homes, powder our noses, transports us to and from our many destinations as well as many other everyday jobs in our lives.

I have a small collection of rocks and minerals in my house: small white rocks from the beach holding my earring tree upright, oval stacked rocks in my herb garden, Quartz crystals (mineral) on my Christmas tree to name a few. One of my favorites is a green tourmaline bigger than my fist that resides in my sewing room window. It came from a pit in Georgia. I even carry a flat round red rock in my pocket and rub it periodically.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“Some of the wild game in our area include elk, sheep, deer, bear, and cougar, as well as a variety of fowl and smaller animals.

I researched the safe handling of wild meats which emphasized keeping the meat clean and cooling it as soon as possible to prevent bacteria growth among many other things. I made a document to add to my file to keep for future reference.

I also went on to wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations to read the rules for hunting in Washington and have looked into hunting classes.

I learned that there is a wide range of animals that can be hunted in this state. When I was a kid, I only ever went grouse hunting with my dad, and he also went deer hunting.

I knew about keeping meat cool and clean, but learning more in depth information about field dressing and air flow to help meat cool faster and maintain cleanliness was wonderful.

The rules for hunting are broken down based on the type of hunting a person is going to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Knotty Farmgirls Merit Badge!

“I learned to tie a square knot (used most commonly to tie two ropes together), two half hitches (used most commonly as a quickly tied fastening as it will hold forever without loosening), and the bowline (commonly used by sailors as it never slips, jams, or fails, and it is easily & quickly untied). Each knot is used for a wide variety of applications, for which I listed the most common one.

Using these knots, I then build a tree swing in one of our maple trees.

I was a kid during the 60's and 70's, so learned to do macrame. I have tied a lot of knots. Later I learned how to tie a wily horse to a hitching post (he used to let himself loose). I still use knots almost daily to secure my stitches or a load in the back of a vehicle. My favorite loop is the "figure 8." It doesn't slip or twist and is used by rock climbers as point to attach themselves to a line.

The swing took nearly an hour to get up. I might be able to tie a knot, but I am lousy at throwing a rope over a branch. After much swearing and sweating, I did get both ropes over the branch and secured (20ft up), and the swing secured to the bottom. The first kid hopped on and nearly hit the ground. I hadn't thought about that nylon rope stretching. After about an hour of swinging and adjusting the swing height, we got that rope stretched out and the swing positioned. They were both up at 5am this morning to go swinging in that tree. The tree is no longer lonely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I have frozen zucchini, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, peas, and onions. I posted some of this information in the Farmgirl Chatroom under Frozen Food.

Using already prepped fruits and vegetables cuts down on preparation time later. Doing things in bigger batches leaves me more time for other fun things. Also, in the case of many fruits, using frozen fruits instead of fresh or canned gives you a more attractive finished product. Frozen blueberries don't turn the batter blue, frozen raspberries stay whole better when mixed, and frozen cherries don't separate from their skins while mixing.

Frozen fruit also makes great ice cubes for your summertime drinks and you can eat them when the drink is gone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  5:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Garden Gate Merit Badge!

“I wrote a letter to the Tacoma News Tribune (one of our large newspapers) sharing my appreciation and gratitude of those people who take the time to help others and be a part of their community.

I wrote 40 letters to people I appreciate (that was a project!).

I completed the "Big Book of Awesome," rereading parts of it I found particularly touching or inspiring.

It took forever to write 40 letters! I'm not a very social person, so I had to hunt to find 40 different people.

Writing for a newspaper was more difficult as they wanted you to express yourself in 250 words or less, preferably 150 word or less. I had to rewrite half a dozen times.

The book I love and feel free to share with my family whether they are ready or not. It makes me smile and dream up my own "awesome" events from my life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I planted my first raised bed garden and planted sugar snap peas, lettuce, spinach, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peas and beans.

I harvested the lettuce and spinach and made many salads plus shared with my neighbor. Unfortunately the rabbits??? ate my peas and beans or something ate them down to their stubs. The sugar snap peas, tomatoes and squashes are doing great and I am looking forward to harvesting them in a few weeks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a quilt for my granddaughter after joining a quilting club and machine quilted the layers together. I used a pattern that was cats since she loves kitty's. She loves her new quilt made by her Grams and sleeps under it every night.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I wanted to learn how to applique so I joined a group that taught this technique. Five to six women gathered each week to work on quilt applique patterns. I chose to make a quilt for my new grandson.

I am very happy with my quilting and applique. Since there wasn't really a pattern for what I wanted to make I made up the pattern and used owl templates I found on line. Little Ned seems quite happy as well snuggled on his quilt with the wise owls watching over him. It was a well over 20 hour project but I couldn't be happier with the final project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I took everything out of my storage drawer and cupboard. Then I sorted all containers and lids and put them together. Then I pulled out the containers/lids that I used the most often and consolidated my storage containers into the cupboard only opening up the drawer for my grand kids bibs and place mats.

I love always having a top to match a bottom container and don't miss all the "extra" containers that I stored. I donated the extra containers to my church to be used after potlucks etc. I have to say thanks for this incentive.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Mary Steitz (#5651) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I visited Sauders Museum with my 4 year old granddaughter. It is a hands on museum. We visited with costumed guides and learned about how families lived over 100 years ago. We also saw craftsmen blending skill and creativity in glass, metals, fabric, wood and clay.

We had a great day. The picture is of my granddaughter gathering eggs. Not read chickens or eggs but for demonstration only. She also learned about milking a cow, made a small broom and a clay pot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Some years ago I made shampoo with castile soap and infused lavender buds. I'm out of it currently but plan to make more as it works well as a clarifying shampoo.

For this badge I chose to make hand lotion, lotion bars and lip balm. For the hand lotion I used 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup beeswax, 2 tablespoons shea butter and several drops of lavender essential oil.

For the lotion bars the recipe is 1 part each of beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil, and of course, essential oils for scenting.

For the lip balm I chose to make a small amount using 1 1/2 tsp. beeswax, 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and shea butter.

The shampoo is gentle and refreshing.

The lotion is very nourishing and creamy on the skin. I like it really well for my feet. The bars are nice too and they apply a little lighter application of lotion.

The lip balm is wonderful! It is also nourishing and creamy.

I made a small jar of lotion and container of lip balm I will share with my daughter. I put together a gift basket for a neighbor girlfriend with a jar of the hand lotion, small jar of lip balm, a packet of the lavender foot soak, a washcloth and some teabags.

I will be making more of these products for sure, and experimenting with some other scents for the lotions and foot soak.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  3:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“This was an awesome challenge. I’ve done “media fasts” in the past. That involves no screens and nothing printed, but this weekend was much different. What made it different, and I feel, more effective, was not having music or phones. I unplugged at 5pm on Friday night, July 11, per the instructions, and stayed unplugged until 9pm Sunday night, July 13.

Instead of being online or watching TV: I started a cross stitch bookmark. I spray-painted tin cans that I had made lanterns from over a year ago. I finished a book I started reading this week. I sewed 16 cloth napkins. I cleaned my craft room. I sat on my porch on Saturday night and watched the full moon completely undistracted. I played with my kids. I had tea time with the family on Sunday afternoon. It was a very fulfilling weekend and I plan to do it again, possibly monthly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have a button collection. It’s new to me, but many of the buttons are old. My mom had a pretty good sized tin full of buttons that she was getting rid of in a garage sale, but she gave them to me instead when I told her I would use them. Some of them, particularly a little white button with a Scottish terrier on it, I remember from when I was little.

I loved the Button Box article in the most recent magazine. It really inspired me to find ways to use my new collection and I can't wait to get started!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Drayton-Fisher (Mackado, #4348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I completed this project in one day by removing all my storage containers from the cabinet and cleaned the shelves. All unused, damaged and yucky containers were taken to the local recycle center and I did purchase a large container to store all lids, to keep them falling out of the cabinet when the doors are opened.

All storage containers are visible for easy access and I have an overall sense of accomplishment.

I’ve attached a “before and after” photo of this project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Lora Rosencrans (farmallchick, #358) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I tried to learn crochet when I was a teen, but just couldn't catch on. Last weekend I decided it was time to try again. I sat in the truck in a hay field all day Saturday until I figured it out while the guys were baling hay.

The first attempt was a failure, but I kept trying. Today a work, I watched a video over and over and was able to complete my very first dishcloth. It may not be perfect, but after almost 30 years I'm pretty pleased.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“~I have researched the difference between cruelty-free and organic health and beauty products versus commercially made. It is amazing to me how much our society depends on chemicals. All one has to do is a little research to see how natural health and beauty are so much more beneficial and healthy for one.

~I have been replacing items on a regular basis for natural organic brands if not making them myself

~I enjoy creating homemade body products and have made Lip Balm several times using this recipe:

Lip Balm

Ingredients:
1-cup Apricot Kernel oil, Almond Oil, or Grape seed oil (I used grape seed)
¼ cup Beeswax
1-Tablespoon Honey
Flavoring oil (this cannot be an extract because extracts are alcohol based and do not mix well with oil)

Optional: Alkanet Root. The root of this flower yields a coloring agent that dyes the oil to a red color. Alkanet also adds healing protection for the lips.

1)Gently heat the oil and melt the beeswax in it.
2)When the beeswax is completely melted, remove from heat and stir in honey and flavoring oil. Add enough flavoring oil to give a nice flavor. Try with a few drops first, stir, and taste.
3)When flavored correctly, take one Tablespoon of the mix and put it in the refrigerator. It will cool quickly allowing you to test the consistency before pouring into your small containers. If too hard, add more oil; if too soft, add more beeswax.
4)Pour into containers and let harden.

This recipe yields a lot. I made 12 of the tins and had more leftover. Be prepared with containers.

To use Alkanet Root:

1)For each cup of oil, add 2-3 Tablespoons of alkanet. Stir over a low heat in a small pan for about 10 minutes. For a rich, red colored lip-gloss, the oil should look almost black in the pan. For a soft pink colors gloss, the oil should look a deep rich red. The color changes once it has been poured. When the desired color is reached, strain the oil through cheesecloth. Discard the herbs and return the oil to the pan.
2)Continue with steps 2-4”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I completed the necessary requirements to earn the Intermediate level of the My Fair Farmgirl merit badge.

I find great enjoyment knowing that I can create healthier health and beauty products and pass them onto friends and family. I feel so much better using these items as well as purchased organic brands and have notice a definite difference in my skin ad have less migraine headaches.

~I am continuing to replace items for natural, organic items, for example deodorant (homemade), toothpaste, shampoos and conditioners.

~I made some soap using all natural ingredients and tallow that we rendered ourselves. The scent I made was Sweet Birch which is an essential oil and reminiscent to wintergreen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I completed the requirements necessary to earn the Beginner level of the Little Squirts merit badge.

Amazing what a few little drops can do (smile)

~I took a walk around our home looking for squeaks. For those doors that squeaked I took the oil can to :)

~I have in the past oiled chains for our bicycles.

~Before winter I oiled our garden tools to make sure that they would be protected and in tip top shape for this gardening season.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“~I checked all of the doors and cabinet doors in our home looking for squeaks and stubbornness. Thankfully the oil squirts from the Beginner level requirement did the trick :) I also checked the locks and they are all in working order”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page