Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Julie Kohl has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I recently got the Chicken Bug!!! I built my own "chicken tractor" (we need a CONSTRUCTION merit badge) and last Saturday bought 4 beautiful Buff Orpingtons! There names are Francine, Claudia, Hazel and Olivia! None are laying eggs yet but two should start in the next 4 weeks or so! I am so excited about fresh eggs! I have read two books on raising chickens although I can't remember the names off the top of my head. I was unable to get any organic feed locally but have ordered some online. Currently they are eating feed from the feed store but do have access to untreated grass to forage.
I really enjoyed building the henhouse and run. I designed it entirely myself and then built it myself. I even learned how to use a skil saw in the process. We went to the Sale Barn to get the girls which was also a really neat process. I love my girls!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  2:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge!

"I am applying for all three badges in this category:

Community Service – Badge- Beginner Badge

1. Beginner Badge
Step one: Start a “community Journal”. Write down three organizations you can donate time with.
a. Prosser Chamber of Commerce
b. Prosser Farmers' Market
c. Prosser Tourism Board

I have been a volunteer for all three for the past 7 years- working on local events such as a wine and food fair, attending meetings and seminars on how to improve the community and tourism in our community. I set up speakers for the chamber lunch and breakfast. I am currently the assistant farmers' market manager – declining pay to return the money to build the health of the market. Between the three, I spend 10 hours a week.

Community Service – Badge- Intermediate Badge

1. Intermediate Badge
Step one: I am currently still with all three.

Step two: We have started a volunteer campaign--accepting new volunteers. New volunteers will help at the market booth learning from those that have been involved for a long time. Volunteers will learn setting up, working with vendors, as well as sales. Report was given at the last farmers' market board meeting.

Community Service – Badge – Expert Badge

1. Expert Badge
Step one: Write in your journal at least 5 needs your community has that you can fill.
a. More education on agricultural related issues
b. More education on CSA’s, and alternative food resources
c. Link to agricultural education opportunities
d. More family focused events
e. A broadened view of farmers' market- adding another venue for tourism.

Step two: Work with your chosen organization to expand their current abilities to serve the community better or start your own community service related organization. Work an additional 40 hours at your chosen organization.

1. This year I have supplied the market website with links to Washington State Tilth and Rural Roots to "farm walk" opportunities as well as to work with local organic farmers to set up their own farm walks that we will advertise through our farmers' market.
2. I have developed, organized, and implemented a full market schedule of guest speakers who will come to our market every week (26 weeks) to help educate the public on events ranging from the health benefits of eating whole foods to bio-fuels, organic free-range eggs, and grass fed beef, and more. We have also added a full schedule of live music weekly and have sought sponsorships.
3. I have implemented a kids' day at the market one day a month, teaching would-be farmers and farmettes about planting, companion planting, composting, and more.
4. I have extended our marketing to include the local Chamber of Commerce, working with the market board as well as the Prosser Economic Development personnel to include the market on other event calendars--broadening the exposure of the local market to tourists and visitors.

When I left my full time career a year ago, I was in search for something more. I knew that I had more to offer and I knew that my heart's passion was to not only reconnect with the farmgirl in me, but to also teach and support others in doing the same. Being picked to be the assistant director of the local farmers' market was no accident."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge!

"Well after having very little luck at my local extension office, I set out to find some information on my own. One of the best local foods that I was able to forage for were morel mushrooms. The city in which I live is along the Missouri River which of course has nice sandy banks that stretch up into the wooded shores. So since we had a nice bit of rain here followed by some warmer temps I decided we would head out for a look for what we love to call "nature's gold". Over the course of a few days, we found 2 sacks full. I froze alot of them so I can't wait until Thanksgiving when I can fix wild turkey and dressing that has my tasty morels in it. The rest of them have been enjoyed just simply fried in the skillet and some on a gourmet grilled chicken pizza!
Everyone had a blast getting covered in the dirt and grime of the river and woods."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I earned my merit badge by making the clothespin holder from MaryJane's Ideabook. I was already familiar with the flat seams and sewing straight seams both by hand and machine. However sewing a french seam was new. I really loved this method and it has encouraged me to start sewing more things that I normally would not have done. So thanks for the challenge and lesson. I spent all morning on it. I am very pleased with the outcome of my project. I was in desperate need of one for my new clothes line."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Amy McIntire has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"Collecting buttons and decorating an old spice jar to put them in.
Had fun collecting new ones as well as finding the ones that I had 'stowed' away. I also added a large mother of pearl button on top of the jar with a letter "B" bead, for buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

"Since I already had taken a beginners class in knitting last year with my daughter, I decided to venture out a tad further and make something more than a scarf. Especially with summer being here and all. So I made a felted purse. It was knitted in the round on size 13 needles. Then I felted it. After it was dry I added handles and a liner. (Which you can see slightly in the picture.) While I was at the store I saw the pin that is attached to the front. I am not the fastest quilter so surprisingly this took me about a week to complete. Of course I was working on other projects at the same time.

I am in love with it! Although it was so much work to get the lining in I don't know if I will make another one this size without a pattern next time. I think I will actually be giving this one to my sister for a Christmas gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:37:51 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I have fulfilled the requirements for this badge at the beginner level by keeping a collection of buttons over 100. Since I have had this collection for some time, many of them are leftovers from cards of buttons purchased for projects or found or removed from clothing before discarding, I determined to add a new dozen to my collection for the badge—none of which were purchased. I was surprised how many buttons just 'showed up' once I started watching for them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge!

"I have earned the beginner level for this badge by spending the last month exploring all the wonderful organic foods offered in my area. One local grocery store has been steadily expanding its offerings and I find something new every time I shop there. The organic cereal varieties are numerous as well as juices, canned veggies, fresh fruit and vegetables, and even sweets. I just found some organic wild rice that I will use to make a meal out of. I just haven’t decided if it will make a better salad, soup, or stir-fry!

In addition, I have shared what I have learned with my mom and she is beginning to catch the organic fever, despite a tight budget. She is more and more convinced that this is important for both her health and the health of the world we live in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge!

"I have earned the beginner level of this badge by purchasing ChillOver powder from MaryJaneFarm and creating four tasty ChillOvers to please my family. I used MaryJane’s recipe for Make Your Knees Weak Chocolate ChillOver—it is our favorite so far! I also used the other recipes as guidelines to design some of my own combinations. I misread the recipe the first time and accidentally discovered that I can add an extra amount of liquid and still get a good set. Here’s our recipes:

Orange Ginger ChillOver—20oz. orange juice with one packet of ChillOver powder stirred in, bring to a boil, cook three minutes, then add one 12oz Ginger Gizer all natural ginger ale (by The Ginger People), chill until set.

Maple Rambler ChillOver—2 cups maple sap (boiled down until it is as sweet as apple juice) and ½ cup riesling wine (I get mine locally made), and one packet Chill Over powder stirred in, bring to a boil, cook three minutes (boils out the alcohol), add 12oz Raspberry Rhubarb Rambler (by VT Sweetwater), chill until set.

Pomegranate Apple ChillOver—2 cups organic 100% apple juice, 1 pkt ChillOver powder stirred in, bring to a boil, cook three minutes, add 1 16oz Pom juice, chill until set. (This one was EXCELLENT! I’m going to find a can of all natural whole berry cranberry sauce to add to it next time—I think the flavors will go well together.)

So, there are my experimental recipes. I found that using 4 cups of liquid with one packet of powder worked very well for my chillovers. They were served in a bowl (not from a mold) but were just as firm as any jello I’ve ever made.

Now, back to the drawing board for something spectacular that I can create for the intermediate level of this badge. I have some great ideas and can’t wait to share something truly delicious!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge!

"I have earned the intermediate level for this badge by increasing my organic food shopping by as much as possible through weekly trips to the local Farmer’s Market for available winter crops which allow me to make soups and salads that are entirely organic! This is new for me since the Winter Market is new to our area—a huge blessing. I also have a local grocery store which carries many organic products that allow me to round out my organic shopping nicely.
I have found my local CSA’s thanks to a group called Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (or NOFA-NY). They list all the New York State CSA’s on their website at http://www.nofany.org/dbapplet/csadirectory.html. There are several in my area including a couple new ones very close to me. I already support one local CSA with my volunteer work at the Argyle Cheese Farmer which cooperates with other Argyle farmers to deliver to their investors on a bi-weekly basis. I support two other local groups with vegetable purchases at the Farmer’s Market in Saratoga Springs.
I do not offer sweetened desserts to my family very often, so it was not difficult to replace a weekly dessert with something unsweetened. I have begun making ChillOvers with no added sugar and with a variety of fresh or dried fruit. Tonight’s dessert was an apple/pomegranate chillover—naturally sweet! My family is wonderful about avoiding sweets and enjoying fresh fruits.
Furthermore, I have been on the rampage against corn syrup for the last couple years and have replaced almost all foods containing corn syrup with healthy alternatives including Newman’s Own products and local artisan breads. We rarely eat candy or store bought sweets (they taste awful, anyway!) and we never buy soda or sweetened 'juice' drinks. We will even try our hand at making our own ketchup this summer since it is difficult to find this topping without corn syrup. I am always aware of the ingredients in our foods and am extending my 'rampage' to include GM foods as much as possible. My food Co-Op is a huge help with this.
I have read 'Omnivore’s Dilemma' by Michael Pollan and enjoyed it immensely! Actually, I listened to the unabridged audio book, which means that I was also able to share it with my husband and children. At first they were disinterested, but it didn’t take long before the kids were hanging around listening and my husband even took the disks I was done with and listened to them on his way to work. We all fell in love with the story about Joel Salatin’s farm, Polyface. Listening to the descriptions of the way Salatin creates compost, manages his grass, and raises his meat animals made me long for the same kind of lifestyle. We are making gradual changes in our small scale farm that mimic what we are learning.
And, while trying to maintain these changes in my lifestyle, I have been diligent in sharing what I learn with others. I was even asked by my pastor’s wife to share with our ladies group about eating local, organic, and natural foods. The discussion went very well and dove-tailed into a series of conversations in which I have been sharing healthy ideas about eating as well as growing veggies at home. It’s been very eye-opening for many of the women. I was pleased to have one of the ladies ask me to help her with her daughter’s upcoming wedding by finding local foods to offer as appetizers with plenty of advertising for the local farms! And another woman has become interested in seeking 'real' cheese and more organic vegetables—she even joined me at the Farmer’s Market!
All in all, the changes I am making are being well received by my family, and those in my life are eager to hear and learn from me as I share with them all the wonderful alternatives to 'supermarket' foods that are available in our area.
I am including a photo from the Summer Market because I don’t have one of my Winter Market, though the vendors I buy from are the same. I love the atmosphere of the Summer Market… we usually have local musicians and lots of children running around!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  4:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"I earned this merit badge by doing something I had been needing to do for a while now. I cleaned out those dirty cabinets, pantry and drawers. I never understand how they become so unorganized so quickly. That is until I take a look at who else cooks and puts away stuff. I love my family dearly but only my daughter, who loves to cook as much as I do, puts things back where they belong.

They turned out great! I was able to throw away several spices that had been in there for way too long. I also pulled out my vintage Fire-King baking set that had been sitting in the box in the basement. My husband insisted that there was no good reason that I didn't deserve to use them since every home-cooked meal is special."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:42:59 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Miltimore has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge!

"I knew how to crochet already but I have "turned it up a notch" by working not only with chunky yarns but with crochet thread. I have completed dishcloths (apron shaped - see photo below) as well as a granny square pillow, a fat bottom bag (from the Stitch n' [bleep] Crochet pattern book), a scarf for a WWII veteran, flowers (carnation and violets - see photos) and caps for my son and nephew. I have made amigurumi projects (strawberries, teacup and teapot) and I am currently 80% done with an American flag afghan (1776 era). I am teaching my 7 year old son to crochet (slow going, but we keep trying!)and I frequently chat and crochet with my mother and sister while they are doing non-crochet projects (they aren't into crochet, unfortunately).

My projects have been successful, for the most part. The fat bottom purse I made for my sister as a gift did not turn out exactly as the pattern described, but it still made a lovely purse. I have a few projects in hibernation that were getting a bit annoying so they are waiting until my patience for them returns. I also have one substantial project (a crochet skirt) that I spent at least 40 hours working on that had to be completely frogged. That was a hard lesson and one that I won't forget - make sure things are right from the first row on."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Miltimore has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Embroidery badge!

"I have enjoyed the ideas in MaryJane's Stitching book as well as other embroidery "how to" guides. I have been working on improving my stitches in uniformity and consistency, as well as keeping the back of my work neat. I recently completed a sampler, using split stitches, satin stitches, lazy daisy stitches, french knots and back stitches, with the phrase "To make a prairie, it takes a clover and one bee."

I also finished a portrait of my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas last year. The project required me to take a photo of them, convert it to a black and white drawing in Photoshop, print the photo on an adhesive fabric (which I placed on muslin fabric) and completely stitch the image outline and add decorative details. The project took 30-35 hours.

My skills have been improving. The sampler was done free-hand and I was able to visualize where the letters should go, while leaving proper height and spacing.

The portrait turned out fantastic, far beyond what I had hoped. As great as it was, it was taxing so I don't know how many full portraits I will do again. I do hope to do at least one more (my nephew) to give to my sister and brother in law to complete their family."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Miltimore has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I have completed several half-aprons, using machine and hand stitching. Some of the aprons were crafted from recycled skirts, some with crochet accents, some from brand new fabric. I've spent at least 10 hours creating various aprons over a period of several months.

Many of them turned out really well, though there were a couple that were 'learning experiences' - mainly, learning to use the features on my sewing machine. I enjoy making aprons because they work up quickly and can be very whimsical."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge!

"I participated in our local quilt store's 'Brown Bag Challenge'. Once I chose my mystery bag I decided I would try to make a 'crazy curve' quilt. Of course it took me 6 weeks of looking at the fabric to decide what to make so I had only a week to do it all. Those were some truly long days in my sewing space.

It turned out awesome. I actually won 3rd place!! Which was not bad; considering I just learned to quilt this past winter when I took one of their classes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  1:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"I feel like I have done this one backwards, starting with a huge bash (expert), and working backwards. I love the farmgirls and sharing it comes second nature. While on the phone in Barnes and Noble, I was overheard by a gal shopping. She heard me talk about MaryJanesFarm and just freaked out. When i got off the phone, I visited with her. Her name is Jan Hinchcliff, and we ended up walkin' back to my car to get some bumper stickers and get her email to attend some of our meetings, even though she is from Milton-Freewater, OR.

She is volunteering for the market, and we are becoming great friends. She is a new farmgirl and is mending...

It turns out Jan has family that works with my hubby, and her son and I are partners in crime at the local chamber office."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"I hosted a farmgirl round-up at our farmers market. I am fortunate enough to write a farmers market column for our local paper as well as for our farmers market website. I stated in my column that the round-up would run 10-12. I started early, and by 10 am i had 30 gals and had to send hubby running to make copies of the certificates. By the end of the day we had 64 gals signed up to take part. How cool is that! I was writing certificates as fast as I possibly could!

I have met some of the nicest women that I may never have had the pleasure of meeting. I had no idea that some of these ladies even live here and I am pretty active in the community. We have all types and all ages. I couldnt be more thrilled. We are planning a meet and greet in a couple of weeks and teaming up with the Yakima chapter for some cheese-making classes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge!

"Recently after the birth of a friend's 2nd child, Rhett, I had the opportunity to spend time with Jackson, the oldest child, so that mom, Sheryl, could sleep when Rhett took a nap. Rhett was born with severe reflex problems as well as colic, and wasn’t sleeping much.

Jackson and I spent a couple weeks together, every morning. Mostly Jackson and I would play with his toys, read, play with the dog and then eat lunch. I would also try to get as much house work done as possible. When it was time for his nap, I would leave.

It has become part of Jackson and his daddies' routine to come visit me every Saturday at the market. It will take a little while longer, as mom and baby are still struggling a little. In the meantime, I have become 'auntie'."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Lend a Hand to Families badge!

"80-year-old Charles Wall ('Chuck') and his wife lived next door to us. Chuck's wife, Marie, died a year ago Valentine's Day. We have adopted Chuck. Chuck is diabetic and requires special meals. I cook for him, clean when he is in need, shop and haul him around. I also take him to the hospital and pick up meds when he requires me to. I fought to get him his hover-round scooter. Now he can attend the local football and baseball games and go to the store by himself.

I see so many improvements in Chuck. He adores his independence and I want to support him in anyway I can to help him keep it. He is rough and gruff... but I know he loves me! :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge!

"Recently my girlfriend Linda Atkins was in the hospital. While she was gone (Tuesday through the following Monday), I fed and watered her 2 horses and 1 mule. Having grown up with horses, I cannot say that I learned anything new. However, I did think it funny that every time the mule would see me drive up he would start 'talking' - smart animal to recognize the vehicle so quickly.

Linda is home and recovering very well. The mule doesn't love me as much now that I am not feeding him every time I drive up. Go figure!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge!

"A friend of mine owns and operates a riding arena here in Prosser. The county has been less than supportive of her business, and doing what seems like ever attempt to make it nearly impossible. One of the requirements they put on her was to build a public restroom and shop. She hired a guy to come build the shell. Then she, my husband Tom and I , sheetrocked, insulated, taped, mudded, painted and laid flooring. While this isn’t planting or harvesting, she wouldn’t have been able to have the Jr. Rodeo had the stuff not gotten done – she was in crisis mode.

Her name is Marnie Gibbs at Always Busy Arena, Prosser, WA.

Her space is beautiful, and she is back on track, providing an arena for ropings, rodeos and youth events."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  4:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge!

"For Gaining Ground I have been asked to create a compost pile or start a worm ranch. I did both!

I already had a composter that my husband built me last year. I have been using it throughout the winter to compost kitchen trash. Then, this spring, I got his help to build a compost pile for the bigger stuff we needed to compost: leaves, chicken coop cleanings, weeds, and garden scraps. I love how it looks right between my coops and the garden… so easy to add to it and use from it when the time comes. We have it about half full now and expect to fill it up quickly with scraps from the garden like weeds, turnip and carrot tops, prunings, etc. With a nice leafy topping my mamma hen and her 7 babies like to rest in the pile after a long afternoon of playing in the rhubarb!

Also, out of great curiosity, I read both “Worms Eat my Garbage” and “The Earth Moved.” Since they are vastly different stories about worm ranching, I highly recommend that everyone read both. Mary Applehof’s book made me seek out a bin to start worming right away, while Amy Stewart’s book opened my eyes to the absolute need to protect our earth’s worms. I particularly enjoyed the last few chapters which tell stories of worms’ amazing power to absorb toxins in our soils and cleanse them. They have also been used in sewage processing plants with tremendous success. I had no idea!!!

So… with my worm bin prepared, I waited until spring then dug through my old piles of leaves and weeds where I found dozens of red wiggler worms. They are now contentedly munching on my kitchen scraps in my basement where the temperature is cool and the human activity is reduced. They are doing well and, I think, possibly beginning to multiply!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for Bustin' Out at the intermediate level!

"Since becoming a Sisterhood member, I have logged 3 mos of trying new organic foods. Most recently, we have eaten organic purple jasmine rice as a side dish; organic quinoa with greek yogurt and sliced organic bananas; cream of (organic) asparagus soup (also locally grown!); shaved organic yellow and purple carrots in my organic baby greens salad; organic corn chips with salsa: and, my personal favorite snack, organic peanut butter on matza!

My family is not only supportive as I seek out new foods to try, but they are excited by joining me at the market to find new interesting culinary treats. Our local cooperative extension also has a table at our farmer’s market—they sample the local foods and develop recipes for all of us to try. Their recent spinach and black bean quesadillas sent us in search of ingredients in a hurry! Fortunately we found most of the ingredients at the market and the organic black beans at the grocery store. Yum! Here’s the recipe for anyone who wants to try it…

Spinach and Black Bean Quesadillas
Lightly oil one side of two flour tortillas.
Lay, oiled side down, in fry pan or griddle.
Cover with chopped, fresh organic spinach.
Add black beans (and optional mushrooms).
Sprinkle with grated hard cheese (i.e. cheddar, parmesan…)
Fry or grill for 3 minutes then flip and grill on other side another 3 minutes.
Serve with quark or sour cream, and tomato salsa.

In addition to adding to my organic shopping, I have been sharing what I am learning and have recruited two new organic/local shoppers. One lady has accompanied me to the Farmer’s Market and is astonished at the selection and quality. She is seeking out more local farmers for her grocery needs. Another woman is going all out for her daughter’s upcoming wedding; she is getting locally grown organic veggies for appetizers as well as locally pastured chickens for her main dishes! She is so happy to be learning about food and helping local farmers at the same time. And each farmer will get special recognition at the wedding so that guests can find them if they like what they eat!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  09:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge!

"I finally finished making three full aprons. I made all three at the same time since I wanted a full apron for myself and needed shower gifts for two brides. I fell in love with a green plaid fabric that I bought to make curtains for my son’s room, so I ran back to the store for more. I was thrilled to find that I had just enough to squeeze out all three aprons.

I used McCalls “Redwork” pattern # 3068 for the apron. The pattern called for red and white combinations, but, as always, I did it my own way! The main body of each apron was in green plaid. The pockets for two of the aprons were cut from an adorable chicken patterned fabric that I found by chance. It went with the green so nicely! These two aprons were for me and my farmgirl sister who was married on May 31st. We both love our country lives and raising chickens. The pockets of the third apron were cut from a solid yellow and featured an embroidered sun (identical to the art on their invitations!) which I stitched with dark green floss to match the main body. This apron went to a very young bride who needed a jumpstart for her 'domestic' collection.

I made all three aprons on my treadle sewing machine and felt so happy to be using NO electricity through my hours of contented sewing (pardon the light bulb to see by). And a special thank you to my farmgirl sister who helped me find the pattern online for this apron. It is exactly what I was looking for, and because of the 'H' shape of the back, it doesn’t pull down on my neck and irritate my old injury. I love to wear my apron and feel it is a very flattering style for me. Not to mention the joy I feel at being 'domestically' connected to two dear friends with our matching aprons!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Christine Zadlo has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I've earned my merit badge by sewing and embellishing my sisterhood badge. I've put a tutorial up on my blog to show exactly how I did it step-by-step and all by hand.

http://getaclew.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-sisterhood-badge.html

I hope the tutorial helps other farmgirl sisters get creative with their badges.

I think it turned out great! Just the way I wanted it. I still want to find some vintage buttons to put on it but I know they will show up in time."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page