Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“*Beginner- Back in January I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I read a wonderful book that pretty much said " lose weight, exercise more to control the disease". So that's what I've been doing! I learned portion control and I make sure that my body is moving more. My family and I all wear pedometers to keep track of how many steps we take in a day.

*Intermediate- I prefer to only buy organic food and hope more becomes available to me when the weather changes. A new eatery opened up around the corner that serves local & organic meals. I love their Vegan broccoli slaw! Now that my body is used to walking for 30 minutes, I have now added bike riding.

So it's been over 2 months since my diagnosis and I went to the doctor on Saturday and she told me that I lost 20 lbs! I thought I had lost 15, so that was great to hear! My energy is great, my ability to actually taste food has changed… everything has so much flavor now!
I get the kids more active now. They are not overweight, but neither was I when I was diagnosed. It's important for them to learn how to take care of themselves and it doesn't have to be boring. We played Tag in freezing cold evening and had a BLAST!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“*Beginner- It is embarrassing to admit that my Tupperware cupboard was a disaster, but it was. Nothing fit right, lids were missing, containers were stained. Most of the time I put leftovers in a gallon sized ziploc bag. I finally decided it was time to stop wasting all this plastic, and all this cupboard space! I slowly, over a short period of time replaced my horrific storage containers with nice, pretty glass ones! They are safer, won't stain, and because they are so pretty, I make sure they look nice in the cupboard! I recycled my old ones, I could't donate them!

*intermediate- My nephew was moving into his first apartment, and was in need of kitchen items. I was very happy to part with old dish ware, pots and pans, and glassware. I realized that there were items that I would love to have such as a micro plane, a mandolin, and a mango pitter. I also bought, on a whim, a banana slicer. It was not worth the money! I passed it on to my nephew!

I can't believe how functional my kitchen is now! I had all this available space that I now keep my stand mixer on my counter instead of tucked away and it gets a lot more action!

I don't know how I got along without a mango pitter..it makes eating mangoes so much easier!!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“My husband and I grow a large vegetable garden without pesticides. We release ladybugs in our garden in the past and still see some around.

I am always giving friends and coworkers some of our fresh vegetables and fruit, and encourage them to grow some vegetables of their own ... free of pesticides and the waxy coatings found in the stores.

We love our garden and try something new every year. this year it was Brussel sprouts. One coworker planted her first garden and despite what I told her ... she planted 8 zucchini plants ... but they were organic!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“Our property is a certified wildlife habitat. We leave some dead trees, brush piles and woody areas to provide shelter for animals. We have a natural stream, pond and some large rocks that make natural birdbaths for the birds. Our fields have plants native to the area and our pond has some cattails. All of which provide plenty of food for the wildlife.

I love to watch the "wildlife"! We have deer, turkeys, rabbits, coyotes, many birds,and ducks in the pond...with turtles and fish. We have also seen an occasional bear and one bobcat!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I have exchanged our garden hoses to ones that are "lead free" as they wear out ... and they come in so many great colors!! pollution in hoses isn't something I thought about before. I planted a live fence of raspberries along our garden, its not rabbit proof but it looks nice and the berries taste great. Our family composts anything that we can ... that with all our animal manure we get buckets of black gold!!

I got so many raspberries that we had plenty to eat and make jam with. I did plant them where the chickens can reach so they steal some of the sweet snacks when they can. I ordered some black berry plants for the 2014 season!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I had learned to milk many years ago but haven't done it in awhile so I had a "refresher" course. I have helped milk at a friends farm. We have raised in the past the milking shorthorns (we raise them for our friends farm, then when they are ready to milk the return to the dairy farm) until about 10 years ago Milking shorthorn cattle were not in our area. I also raise chickens and get a few 'rare" breeds every couple of years to raise. This year it is the cuckoo marans.

I have helped milked several times but mostly I help with the young stock.

I love the dark brown eggs that we get from our cuckoo maran chickens. I have been looking into raising KUNE KUNE pigs, as they can be raised own pasture.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We raise our own beef, chickens and have added pork this year. Now if I could raise some fish and shrimp...

I am constantly "reminding" my coworkers of the benefits of knowing where their meats come from and I give them articles to read of what in "store" meat and how these animals are raised.

I am often asked if its cheaper to raise our own meat, most of the time. however the benefits far out weigh the cost. I know what our animals ate (fresh organic food) and how they lived...free ranged/pastured, fresh water, warm fresh bedding.....a stress free live.

Three of my coworkers are now raising chickens...for eggs not meat but its a start!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“My husband is a potato chip "junkie"!! Once a bag is open he just has to eat it, he says it calls to him. A friend mentioned that she had been making chips, her husband is also a chip "junkie". I borrowed her chip sheets that she uses to make chips in the microwave....they are wonderful.

We know make our own chips a couple of times a month, it sure beats paying three to four dollars a bag and they taste great!!! We have tried different spices on the chips and I'm going to try making sweet potatoes chips.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“We are pancake people with homemade maple syrup....yum!! I now mix up my own big batch of pancake mix - its quick, easy and organic - love it!! its cheaper than the brand that I used to buy. No more cake mixes, confectionery sugar, "instant" oatmeal packages, granola bars...now all made from scratch.

I was surprised how easy and convenient it is to make and store our own snack foods. I look forward to trying other foods.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“We have a wonderful bird feeder that my husband made next to our large picture window, so I made a concrete birdbath to go next to it ... the birds love it. this winter I kept clean warm water in it when I could.

One day in January we had seven different birds visiting the feeder and bird bath. They are so much fun to watch.

It was hard to believe how many birds used the birdbath even in the winter. I put the fresh water out only in the morning, the birds soon learned that and visited at that time. I also made "bird cake" and it was interesting that some birds loved it while others not so much. I enjoy watching the birds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I just learned how to knit from a coworker who can knit anything...with or without a pattern. I dropped my share of stitches and had to take the scarf apart more than once. It seemed that I was spending more time fixing that actually knitting. I showed my friend Brianne how to cast on and do a the basic stitch for the scarf.

I finished my scarf, and even with the flaws my granddaughter loves it. I am know starting a second scarf and its going a lot better than the first. friend Brianne is now hooked on knitting and has past me and finished several scarfs and in working on a baby blanket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I found it difficult to calculate our water usage for a month as we have a private well and we are always on the go. Plus in the winter we are in the house so much more. I used a water conservation web site as a guide. I timed one shower for each person, kept track of the dishwasher and washer loads for one week then times 4 weeks. I was surprised how much that added up to and that did not include brushing teeth, watering plants and animals, and just quick turns of the faucet for washing hands and counters..and the list goes on. To reduce our usage I gave everyone a shower limit, reminded them to shut off the water while brushing their teeth, only ran full loads in dishwasher.

I think that it has helped to reduce our water usage but its definitely a work in progress. I have noticed shorter showers and I have heard other family members mention..'oh we can wait to and put more in the dishwasher'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (killarny, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made an Amish doll with a baby and baby quilt to practice, sewing together squares and then adding batting and a back. I cannot wait to make a larger one!

It turned out so well, I gave it to a Farm Sister in a Doll swap!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Have been reusing bags for about 15 years or so started out using old plastic bags then i have collect several others. 2 from ace, 2 from vsi, 1 from coop country and have purchase a couple of fun ones.

I use them at the grocery store, Walgreens, hardware store always have couple in my truck.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“My husband has a lansky knife sharpening kit with a stand to hold the knife and 5 grades of stone and oil he has been sharpening our knives for years.

I talked my husband into teaching me how to sharpen our knives and have tried a couple, I have a ways to go before I am as good but will persevere.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have a recipe box Sunkist recipe outfit probably from the 30's or 40's that has some sunkist recipes along with a great number of her own recipes hand written.

I have tried numerous of my grandmother recipes along with some of the Sunkist some are pretty and some are very bland.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Shipley (#5496) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“As I already use green cleaners, I created a basket of "green" cleaners for a friend. My friend was super excited and happy to have the gift basket full of cleaners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Shipley (#5496) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have gotten 6 (more than 6 actually) Reusable bags and have been successfully using only my reusable bags for all my shopping. I even started making reusable bags out of my empty chicken feed bags.

It was a little hard at first to remember to bring the bags in with me. I would get up to the check out an then remember. But as time went on I got better and better. Now I never use anything but my reusable bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  4:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Shipley (#5496) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have now successfully made my own green all purpose cleaner and have been using it for over a month now. I have already chosen to use only "green" products but now I'm taking it to the next level by making my own "green" cleaners instead of buying them.

My home made "green" cleaner is working out great! And I'm saving some money by making it myself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  4:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Ellen Bailey (#5675) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Instead of trying a traditional scarf, I decided to try knitting a mat for my cat to sleep on.

It looks pretty good for my first attempt. After much pulling out and starting over, I finally finished it, using variegated yarn for part and solid purple for part.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Ellen Bailey (#5675) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a dish cloth.

Well ... I'm going to use it, but it's a bit lopsided! I used Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn in variegated blue, aqua and green colors. I found it hard to hold the yarn tight enough in my left hand while I crocheted with my right hand. I'm sure with practice this will come more easily for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“I have enrolled in Hunters Safety with my 11-year-old son, and we are learning about our local gun laws, bag limits, and possession limits.

There is a lot to learn about guns, laws, and ethical hunting.

I will be enrolled in this class until April 8. It's extremely interesting and informative, though admittedly a little intense for me as my experience with guns and hunting is definitely second-hand (i.e. supportive wife as my husband hunts).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Well this one falls to me. I have been working on the family tree with the information left to me by my mother and her sisters. I have used online resources and through those resources have been fortunate enough to discover distant cousins trying to fit the pieces together also. The cousins are on my mother's side and we are working slowly together digging through court records and archives to put the family tree together accurately.

I am also working, on my own, my fathers side of the family. As it turns out, my 5th great grandfather had two land grants....one right here in St. Francisville, La where I moved five years ago and one in Natchez, MS. The house he built "Coyle House" still stands, in Natchez. I have had the privilege to meet the current owner and she even had photographs of my forth great grandparents that she gave copies of. Also, I found out that my fifth GG came from Ireland, County Donegal but had land and family in County Sligo. I live right off Sligo Rd. In St. Francisville where his land grant is described as being located. I have plans to go pull court records this summer when I more time to dig, to discover the exact location and who he sold it to before moving to Cotton Valley, La.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  3:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I have been working on my family tree --both branches and my husband's tree and now the complicated task of blending the tree. This is in an effort to provide our children with ancestor information. Both my family and my husband's family can trace their roots back to Ireland.

What is funny (and we do joke about it). My family came from County Donegal and County Sligo. We came over in the early to mid 1700's and collected land grant grants and got busy. My husband's people came from the neighboring Counties--Cavan and Tyrone. They came over toward the middle of the 1800's and it took them over 200 years to find me even living in the same 50 mile area.

It is so fun finding out where your ancestors came from and how connected we are. The same reaction our ancestor's clans had toward each other are relevant today even without the clan.

My children love hearing about the history and my husband was really excited when I made his his crest to hang in the front entrance of our house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  3:48:18 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“A family reunion is going to be a little difficult be cause I have the only grand children and it is just my in- laws. We have attempted to gather info from my mother-in-law and she did fill out a Grand mother "What I was like" book we bought for her. We are going to copies for each kid.

Chris and I have decided that since nobody in either family writes anything down, that we will. We started this year making bound photo albums as Christmas presents. They catalog with photo and words the family for the in the form of a book. We spent Christmas Day pouring over the book and my In-Laws loved it. I guess that was our family reunion.

We used mixbook.com. They are great!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page