Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  6:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

“When I got into the school gardens a few years ago the first thing I did after starting the seeds was to make tags for them. There were so many old sour cream containers coming from the kitchen that I figured we could use them as labels. It worked out great and we also used tin cans around brassicas to keep them pest free. We were having issues in the garden shed with tools and how they are handled, so in the spirit of Crockett's Victory Garden, I held a workshop on the care and keeping of garden tools. Everyone was issued their own wire brush, a file, a sharpening stone, can of linseed oil and a can of mineral oil. I was happy to pass on the knowledge my grandparents had given to me.

This was a great workshop! Every time we start a new season we do the workshop again and as a result we have saved many tools from an untimely death. we also found a good use for containers from the kitchen and made gardening easier and more fun!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I grew up with 2 rescue horses in our backyard, and have ridden on the show circuit since I was 9, so when I came to VT I was eager to get to know the local equines. I started with the drafts at school, then the Morgans down the road, next thing I knew people were asking me to come exercise and socialize their horses.

AMAZING. As a result of my interest in horses, I ended up with a minor in Draft Horse Management which includes farming and logging with horses. I've also met some amazing people and horses. I was able to use a pair of Belgians belonging to a professor to teach 3 people to ride, there is nothing better in the world!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“A little while ago I joined the Norfolk County Beekeepers Association and took the 8 week course for my beekeper's certificate. In the time between then and now I've watched and read everything I can about bees including Queen of the Sun (stunning) and I have become a collector of apicultural literature.

This has turned into one word, OBSESSION.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Before I left for college my Nana got me into bird watching. Now I am obsessed. I took Ornithology at college and keep an active list of bird sightings by sound, sight and sign. I am also incorporating that data into my senior thesis.

I have too many obsessions. I camped out on a friend's porch last weekend to spy on a snowy owl, nearly got frost bite, but I saw her, WORTH IT!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“After studying herbalism a little before college, I started finding out about the medicinal and culinary uses of herbs in my area. Now I know where to find a variety of wild plants that are good and good or you. it's always fun to find wild herbs, especially the mints!

It's great! Nothing like being able to fill out the spice rack with what you find outside! The best part was the wild mustard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“This past summer I made a trellis for the college pea plants using stakes and twine. I was shocked as how strong those things are! I also got to make a bean teepee and helped to trellis the grapes with a wire/ratchet system.

Really well, although the peas did need to be redone, turns out that natural twine stretches when wet, so we used baling twine (made of plastic) and that did the trick and was recycled!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“When we moved into our tiny house we had very little in the way of decor. We ended up finding a lot of our decor by the roadside, at yard sales and antique fairs, and we made a lot of it too. We both love plants so instead of buying expensive art, we repurposed some old frames and framed botanical illustrations out of old books. we also took an old tape shelf and turned it into a shadow box shelf. The furniture that we own, we made or inherited. That goes for a lot of things in our house actually.

It's beautiful. Our home is homey, beautiful, and everything in it has meaning and a story. I always hated those pictures of a perfect house where everything seemed to sterile and without real value. This way everything is meaningful and thrifty!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I used to be really active, I rode horses, climbed trees competitively, belly danced, and did yoga. When I got to college most of that fell by the way side. This past month though I decided to bring back what I could for New Years, and I am happy to say that I did it! Everyday alternates 1 hour of yoga or 1 hour of belly dance and sometimes snowshoeing or skiing.

I feel amazing! I just wish I had a little more room to dance (I fell into the sink). Now I just need to re-organize my schedule to keep it up for this semester!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“After being a model for life drawing classes, I recently tried my hand at drawing, and I was surprised! I never thought I could draw, but I found that if I stop trying to make the lines and shadows I draw look like a person, they end up there on their own! After that I started copying botanical illustrations.

I found another thing I love to do! Now if only I could find the time...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (madhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“I recently took a class on geology and became obsessed. Especially with serpentine! I ended up getting very into geology and soils and even ended up in lapidary. I made some jewelry from local minerals to sell at a local coffee shop/gallery. One of these days I'm going to start my own collection and organize it in mafic gradation!

The class set me on the course of acquiring multiple geology texts as well as getting stopped by a state cop for checking out a road cut in MA. He let me go when I explained to him how the rocks we were seeing had formed, I think he just wanted me to stop talking...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I've been tending a garden as long as I can remember. My first one was under the picture window of our house. My dad gave my old pipes to use as markers. I've come to use organic fertilizer and pest control. Although, I'm still not happy with my pest control. The book, "Montrose" is fabulous -- that's a delightful book to read in Michigan in February. It turned out well and I can't wait until spring!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Renee Simpson (#5541) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed a half apron with 2 front pockets. It took me most of an afternoon. I love wearing my apron when working in the kitchen and cleaning house. The pockets come in very handy for little things that belong somewhere else.

It is beautiful! It is a pink background with darker pink flowers and green leaves. On the pockets I put a lace with a pink ribbon through it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Renee Simpson (#5541) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have a chicken flock with 40 hens and a few roosters. Last year I hatched 35 guinea eggs under a partridge cochin hen. Also hatched 16 speckled hamburgers chicks. My feed products are mostly home grown corn, and alfalfa.

I really like my chickens and have kept chicken for most of my 37 years. It runs in the family on both sides. My grandmothers always kept chickens and sold eggs either to hatcheries or to consumers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Renee Simpson (#5541) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I own 4 milk cows, 3 jersey and 1 Holstein I milk daily and sell milk to customers and use it for my family. I have taught my children to milk cows with the 4th one being my latest learner at only 3 years old, his name is Ian. I also raise jersey which are a rare breed. I sell any extra calves I might have to people looking to milk for themselves.

Ian loved milking the cow. He helps me every chance he gets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  7:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“In levels one and two I planned my garden, started my garden, maintained and enjoyed every aspect of the process (especially the harvest) but now came the test. I save seeds from the heirloom tomatoes and peppers and even several flowers.

To get an early jump on the year I have started them inside. They are doing great. I saved enough to save with my friend who shares seeds with me too. My garden this year will be more than half heirloom seed this year. The varieties I chose are ones that were standards in my mom's garden. She kept in mind the La. Weather and the type of pest we have here.

So far I have had great success following my mothers lead. Last year I planted tomato varieties my mom liked and I followed her plant care all the what through. My plants grew to be monsters. My harvest season lasted longer than everyone of my friends. Not one split fruit. .....and. 2 of my of plants Produced over 100 tomatoes. Yes I said 100 tomatoes. While the others only around 50- 75 each. I have had similar results with my other heirlooms.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  4:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith(forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Weather is the state of the Atmosphere to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy. Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere, just below the stratosphere. Weather general refers to day to day temperature and precipitation activity.

Weather occurs primarily due to air pressure (temperature and moisture) differences between one place and another. Low pressure system is a region in the atmosphere where air is rising. it is developed when air get hot and moist compared to the surrounding air.
High pressure is a region in the atmosphere where the air is sinking. High pressure systems have a longer atmospheric lifetime compared to lower pressure systems.

A Barometer is a scientific instrument used in meteorology to measure atmospheric pressure. Pressure tendency can forecast short term changes in the weather.

Wind is caused because the sun heats the planet differently and over vast areas. As a place warms up, the air expands, causing a pressure change. Wind is simple high pressure air moving towards a low pressure region to balance things out.

Air masses are defined simply as uniform bodies of air. Air mass is a large body of air that has similar temperatures and moisture properties throughout.

A Front is a place where two air masses meet. Fronts extend both horizontal and vertical. Fronts and air masses contribute to weather. Fronts rarely collide but they do overtake the proceeding front. When they meet they provoke the various types of weather.

Researching all this has given me more insight on understanding what the weather man talks about and why he explains about the low and high pressure, the warm and cool fronts and how it effects our weather.

This was all a very helpful badge to earn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (Holiday Junkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“When joining the Farmgirl Sisterhood, I had already been blogging with a holiday theme for some time, so I decided to update my blog and add some additional features. In order to do so, I had to do some research on how to do some basic coding on the site Blogger.

After researching how to add additional features, I added some options on my site that now connect my blog to both my Pinterest and Facebook accounts. I also utilized a site that offers free backgrounds and redid my entire template, so I now have a new background, header and font options for various portions of my blog. One of the hardest options, was adding a floating "Pin It" button, that will show up over all my photos and link them directly to Pinterest. Last, but not least, I was not happy that my links to YouTube were too large to fit nicely into my blog, so I found out how to change the size in the embedded code I normally copy from YouTube, before posting them to my content. These are all things my daughter had been promising to do for me and hadn't. So, the fact that I did this all on my own, is super exciting for me. I called her daily to share my progress as well! I also submitted my site to GirlGab today, to be linked up with the others. If you'd like to check it out, here is the link: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have a collection of hand made native american buttons,several extremely small doll buttons that i use on felt Christmas ornaments, some unique old metal buttons, antler buttons. some with enamel on the face and some shaped buttons. I have more than 50 stitched on a piece of linen and place in a large embroidery hoop.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I took my first basketry class last month from woven designs taught by Julie Kleinrath called for ever green basket. It turned out pretty good, not quite like her shaped basket but all right class was from 1 to 4.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (#5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron using "My Little Apron" pattern by Terri Degenkolb. It is a reversible apron with black ric-rac trim.

My husband says it looks great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (#5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting buttons for several years now. I guess it all started with my Great Grandmother, every since then I have just kept adding. Two years ago I inherited my grandma's button collection and most recently my neighbor gave me her button collection before she moved. I have parted with a few to help a fellow farm girl out and plan to use some when making my necklace.

My neighbor was elderly and a sewer herself so she gave me a lot of great buttons. I have started researching some of them to see what time period they are from. I am so excited to find out and started collecting more from the 30's or 40's.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I bought a photo storage box to make a sewing kit for my Granddaughter.

I glued a piece of pink felt on the inside bottom. I took a piece of scrapbooking paper that is pink with white buttons on it and glued that to the outside top of the lid and sides. then I took another piece of scrapbooking paper that has a design of squares with the words patchwork, crochet, knitting along with pictures of each on. I cut those in strips and glued to the sides of the box and cut out two squares for the front.

I also glued four buttons on one corner of the lid and took four wooden spools, painted those pink and glued on the bottom for legs.
I then cut a piece of white card stock and wrote Kyla's Sewing Kit for the front of the box.

I made a heart shaped pin keeper and added all the supplies needed for a beginners sewing kit.

I am very pleased with how this project turned out. It is cute and different. I will put this homemade gift away for Christmas. This will be the beginning of making my homemade Heirloom Christmas gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I started the Beginner level badge back in November and recorded 30 days of thankfulness. I had made a journal to keep track of all of my Farm Girl happenings and set aside some pages to record each day. I also got The Book of Awesome from the local library and really enjoyed reading them out loud with my husband! They made us laugh and remember that the little things really do mean the most.

I then went on to complete the Intermediate level by writing a letter to our local paper and thanking the snow removal crews in our area. In case you don't follow the news ... our area of Northwest Ohio has gotten record snowfalls this winter ... well over 56 inches compared to the 10 inches we had last winter. These guys and gals have been working around the clock for the last two months to keep our roads clear and I wanted to thank them publicly.

I have enjoyed both of these levels and am so glad I have so many things to be thankful for. Instead of focusing on the negative things that happen each day, the journal gave me an opportunity to always find something (no matter how small) to be thankful for.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read the book Blogging for Bliss and then decided to create a blog for our new local chapter, The Faithful Farm Girls. I am not new to blogging as I have one for my online quilt shop, The Quilt Bear and also had one for being an Umpire's Girl. (My husband is a fast pitch softball umpire and also officiates boys baseball.)

I have completed all three levels of this badge by creating, customizing and posting as well as networking through GirlGab and other farmgirl and quilting friends.

Starting the Faithful Farm Girl blog has been especially fun because I can post my journey as a true farm girl and share my experiences as I learn some new ways of living healthy and in balance.

My Quilt Bear Blog has been a great way to reach other quilters like myself and reading Blogging for Bliss also helped me with posting to this blog as well. Especially the photo section and how to post good quality photographs.

I am looking forward to softball season this year so I can pick up where I left off on My Life as an Umpire's Girl blog. I had let that one slide (pun intended) for a few year's, but now am ready to tackle it as well.

I am excited to watch as the comments grow and new friend connections are made.

Links to my blogs:
http://faithfulfarmgirls.wordpress.com/
http://www.thequiltbear.com/weblog/
http://umpiresgirl.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge I had to try one new organic food each week for 4 weeks. Well being the over achiever that I am I tried several new organic foods each week.

Wow this badge was very fun! I got to try all kinds of organic varieties of foods I love. And boy do they taste good.

I started by trying to replace a few foods each week with organic ones. I bought organic carrots and squash in the produce department. Then off to dairy, where I scored some great organic yogurt. I then headed over to the bulk food section and found two varieties of organic trail mix that was delicious.

I found a great blog called 100 Days of Real Food that challenged me to really read the labels to find out what is in my food I purchase. She even had some free meal plans on her Facebook page that I have been trying out.

Going organic isn't quite as hard as I thought it would be aside from the price. And I know that the health benefits are far greater than cost, but changing over is a challenge. I have decided to try to use half of my budget to buying organic and the other half to buying healthy food choices.

We do not have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in our area so I am finding that some items can be purchased online and if I watch shipping charges I can get items like coconut oil and grains cheaper.

I also found that Kroger is starting to carry a lot of Simple Truth brand organic products at great prices and I am looking forward to trying them as well.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page