Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Carla Crawford (chappieswife, #3366) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I used some fabric that a church group no longer wanted, and using a cardboard template, I followed the directions in a Better Homes and Garden book for a nine-patch quilt. I knew nothing about making a quilt and had no teacher.

Even though the points don't match up, I think it turned out fairly well, considering. Many years later, I had a friend machine quilt it.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  3:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Carla Crawford (chappieswife, #3366) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I joined a group that was teaching beginner quilters, and we did a row quilt, learning how to make a new block each week. We then went home and made more of the same block to complete a row. We added sashing, borders, and a backing. A friend machine quilted it, and I finished with binding.

At first I was pretty sick of the colors after working with it so long. But now I enjoy how it turned out.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have had some shopping bags for some time now and am now committing to using them more often. I have six and plan to keep them in the car so that I do not forget to use them. I also have a red one that I only put meat products in.

I find that using the cloth bags easier than the plastic bags that tend to spill in the car and rip since they are more sturdy and hold more. It will also help keep plastic out of the landfills.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Julia Feeley (JuliaCatherine, #5634) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have three chickens. One rooster and two hens. Two are black Copper Marans and one is a Barred Rock. We will be getting two more hens shortly. We got them when they were very young, in November. We kept them inside under a lamp. My husband built a coop and now they are happily living out doors. We move the coop around every so often so the chickens can get fresh grass. My boys love to let them out and run around the yard with them.

We love having the chickens! I am thinking they will start laying in March. It has been a great learning experience for our family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  3:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Julia Feeley (JuliaCatherine, #5634) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I love organizing my kitchen! I used the time over Christmas break while my hubby was home to occupy the kiddos, and completed all three levels of this badge. Dec. 27 I organized the pantry and cleaned out things I didn't need. I filled up some storage containers that were not being used. I also made a kitchen "needs list" and posted it on the fridge. Dec. 28 I sharpened all my kitchen knives!

My pantry looks much prettier and my knives are sharp and ready to go!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  4:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Nikki Hurlbut (MrsHurlbut, #5131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I first used a pattern to cut out my apron and had to trim to size. I had to sew each pocket on, then each strap to the apron. I then had to sew ribbon around the length of the apron for added color.

It was my first apron so I cannot be too upset. However, I am going to need alot more practice if I hope to make a hobby of this one day!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Nikki Hurlbut (MrsHurlbut, #5131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning a Beginner and Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Our city's recycling center, ironically, is only open during business hours (8-5). Unfortunately I work full time and am unable to take things to the recycling center. However, I have started to keep and reuse all plastic bottles we have in the house. I either wash them and refill them with water, or I use them for crafting projects. I also only buy reusable bags for the store. All cardboard/paper products are either saved for my garden for the spring, or used for fire starting material for my wood burning stove in the winter time.

I have actually used this task/category for some time. I had to have more than 1 bag of trash for my house a week. It works very well for my household. It helps that my children know the rules of recycling so they can help!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Crick (Madinet85, #4915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half-apron for myself from a pattern in a book called "One Yard Wonders". I spent approximately 3 hours making the apron, and learned how to do a new finishing seam.

I now have a lovely half-apron that will hold my clothespins while I hang clothes on the line outside.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“My son was a Boy Scout and I was an adult leader. A few years ago I made a doll for a scout retreat and gave it to my son once the retreat was over, after all, it is a scout themed doll. It earned me a funny look from him, but he did keep the doll.

She turned out fabulous! She is in full scout uniform, right down to the hand embroidered patches on her shirt, and is wearing hiking boots. Underneath the uniform is a animal print thong and an animal print push-up bra. (Yes, I was very tongue-in-cheek with the scouts, but it went over well). She has painted nails and toenails, and wild hair. She is definitely a Glamper Girl!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Dena Corry (dena91, #5620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I love organizing so this was a great way to start! I went through our storage containers and separated the extra lids from the rest that had matching lids. Since I do this about once a year, there were only 2 lids without partners. I know they are being used for different purposes right now so I set them aside for a few days to decide if I still want them to be food storage lids/containers.

I had so much fun doing this that I went directly into the Intermediate badge work! Love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Dena Corry (dena91, #5620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“After I finished the Beginner task, I went right onto the Intermediate work! I went through every cupboard in our kitchen (plus the china cabinet) and got rid of everything I don't use anymore. I put them in a bag and plan to donate them to our homeschool group 'free cycle' table in January. I've been collecting kitchen 'tools' for many years now, so I have most things I need. However, I store my Dutch oven and sprouting supplies in our camper. I made a commitment to get them out of storage and begin using them again in the new year.

I love the changes I made in my storage and china cabinets! I used to store our pretty wedding china in the underneath cupboards and only saw them once a year. Now I moved them to the upper glass cabinets and see them every day! Also, everything I use daily/weekly fits easily in my cupboards and looks comfortable not crammed. I also organized things by theme (baking supplies over the fridge, storage containers above the counter, etc. I'm planning on getting my sprouter and dutch oven back in the kitchen this week. The only other thing I would like to add is a dehydrator. I looked up MaryJane's suggestion at www.dryit.com and I'll have to save up for even the counter model; maybe this spring? It's definitely on my wishlist!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched my local soils waste website and got a list of items I they accept at the local landfill. I did learn about a few new things to recycle.

I have printed a list of what can be recycled and hung it up I have started to collect a few things to bring in for recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I wanted a way to show off pictures of my grandchildren. So I decided to use an old window to put their pictures in.

I painted the window black first. I then crackle painted Tuscan red on top. I put burlap material behind each picture to fill in the empty area behind each picture. It turned out great. Now I just need to finish getting my pictures in it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I started this project by reading the book "Dare to Repair" by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-tenet. I then painted my bathroom cabinets. I used a black base coat and a Tuscan red top coat to crackle. I love the new look of my bathroom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“The Simple Times Farm-girl Club meet on October 25, 2013 and made powdered laundry soap. We then made bar hand soap during our December 25th meeting. We shared all our cleaning recipes during this time also.

It was a lot of fun making the soaps during our meeting. The soap turned out really good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“My husband and I went on a trip to Germany this past year to see my son, daughter-in-law and new grandson. My mother came along with us.
We spent a lot of time visiting while visiting castles, ruins, and all the many other things that Germany has.

While we were there, we also went to the Netherlands. We toured a wooden shoe factory, a cheese factory. We also toured Amsterdam.

We had a lot of fun together. I believe this trip will be one that the three of us will never forget.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I volunteered at the Joplin Recycling center on November 15th and 16th. They were celebrating "America/Missouri Recycles Day". I helped at the recycling center to give out welded wire compost bins and information about how and why to compost.

We gave away over 100 compost bins during the two days the event was held.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“As a second grade teacher, my class studies Christmas Around the World. I chose Mexico for all three parts of this badge. Each student loved that they got their own pretend passport and a plane ticket each time we studied a new country.

We discussed how the Christmas holiday is celebrated from Dec. 12th until Jan. 6th. We talked about Las Posadas and the Feast of Epiphany. We learned about some of the traditional food that is eaten at Christmas time- Biscochitos, Rasca de Reyes, Bunuelos, and Ponche. We also learned about the role that pinatas, paper lanterns and poinsettias play during the holiday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“Our school does a food drive each year. For this year, I figured out how much money I spent per person per meal each day and bought can goods with the money that I would have spent to eat.

As a class, we donated 120 cans of food to the food drive.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“Our school does a food drive each year. As a class, we donated 120 cans of food to the food drive.

Our school collected over 950 cans of non-perishable food and it was donated to our town for the needy. I believe my class and school did a great job collecting food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

“I made a female scarecrow using my daughters' old clothes. I stuffed her with straw. Her face is pumpkin that is used to hold candy when trick or treating. She has on gloves and work boots along with a jacket to keep her head on.

My scarecrow lady was out by the driveway for fall. I shared a picture of her with the Simple Times Farm Girl Chapter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a small sewing kit. It has places to hold all necessary supplies. I love crazy quilts so I made the outside look like a crazy quilt and got to brush up on my embroidery skills.

I love it and it is handy to keep beside my chair in the living room for when I want to sit an hand applique.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I gathered my collection together and definitely have over 50 buttons! Most of my collection has come from wonderful finds at auctions, garage sales and thrift stores.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I found great instructions for a button bracelet in Terri Degenkolb's Whimsicals Pumpkins and Spice book. I had gathered all of my buttons for the beginner level of this task, so I found some favorites and an old costume necklace (that I deconstructed) and spent the lovely winter morning making a bracelet.

I think it is lovely! And it fits great!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  6:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Osborn (#406) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Once I decided on a Merit badge to work on, I started doing some online research regarding the history of buttons, which was actually very interesting. I then sorted through my button collection to see what types I may have examples of. While most of my buttons are plastic, I do have many metal buttons, a few that look like mother of pearl buttons, some wooden buttons, a leather button, fabric and yarn buttons, and a beautiful Bakelite button.

I learned that buttons were first used primarily for decoration and first commonly used for fastening in 12th century France. The word button comes from the French word Bouton (the root of which is bouter - meaning to push.

The first buttons were made of bone, antlers and horns. Leather buttons made in the middle ages and early America.Metal buttons have been found dating to the Bronze age. Wooden buttons since the 18th century and became widely used during WWII because of material shortages. Some other types of material used include ceramics, pearl, wool, shells, crocheted, even hair and silk.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page