Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  4:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Both my husband and myself had previously researched the gray water concept and had actually put it into practice when we lived in Tucson. It worked great for our lawn and garden. We have irrigation where we currently rent, so hopefully in the future we can incorporate this once again. Despite having irrigation water, we are still very careful not to waste any. We have just overcome a drought in our area.

We currently collect rain water and hope to make an even more productive system. We currently use rainwater for our garden (both vegetables and flowers as well shrubs and trees) and I love being able to do that!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  4:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“We are blessed to have my mother living with us. She is my oldest living relative. Since she has been living with us (a year now) I am hearing stories about her childhood for the first time like when she and a friend painted a car to hide from the police. I am also learning about my Dad's family through her.

Growing up I never had the privilege to sit with my grandparents, "children were seen not heard" and my brothers and I were often told to play outside. I learned that my Great-Grandmother used to walk outside barefoot early in the morning so she could feel the dew on the grass, and how my Grandfather (whom I never met) would sign his love letters to my Grandmother when he was oversees "Oceans of Love".

I can't say that I have a finished date since I am sure that I will be learning more in the months/years to come.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“In addition to information that my Dad shared with us before he passed along with my mother and siblings I have acquired a bit of knowledge to research our genealogy further.

I have researched (and bookmarked) sites like: National Archives, Ancestry.com, Military websites, etc. I have also researched by doing name searches on the internet. This is how I obtained quite a bit of information on where my family (on my father's side) originated from,: Scotland, Ireland, England and Canada. I also learned that some of my fellow schoolmates growing up were actually relatives.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“We have increased organic foods in our diet more than 25%

I researched CSA's in our area:

Songhaven Farm, Cahone, CO
No phone.
$495.00 per season (year)

Dragnfly Farm
970-565-2644
$38.00/week for twenty weeks

Lazy Bee Acres
970-565-4224
$10.00 per week for twenty weeks

If I was not able to have a garden where I live I would most definitely belong to a CSA.

We don't generally eat dessert on a regular basis. For a dessert sometimes we will add fresh fruit to yogurt, make fruit bars or eat frozen dark sweet cherries.

We are eliminating high fructose corn syrup from our diets and I am happy to learn that there is another alternative:
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Light Corn Syrup. Yay!

I read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I really enjoyed his writing style and the content. I learned some new information from his book and couldn't agree more. I think it is very important for everyone to be informed about where their food comes from and to make knowledgeable decisions for the welfare of their family. My husband and I quit eating fast food about 12 years ago and it has been so good for us. We are careful what foods we take in and that is one reason we grow a garden, I preserve, we buy beef from local ranchers and we are now raising hogs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I learned how to sharpen our kitchen knives. My husband showed me how to properly sharpen our kitchen knives. I am grateful to know this as we have been collecting better quality knives and want to keep them as long as we possibly can not to mention have a precision tool in the kitchen to get the job done right and safely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“In July my husband and I started a compost heap. We attained some heritage hogs then and started right away adding manure with vegetable and fruit scraps, eggshells, leaves and other green and brown material. We were excited to see our first dung beetles. By continually adding and maintaining proper moisture mix.

It has been a great learning experience and I love that we are not wasting materials which can be used to our benefit. Our compost heap is already starting to break down and I cannot wait to see the final product.

I read Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof. I learned so much! I am looking forward to when we can start adding worms to our program. Perhaps next year if we can find suitable room for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I made a simple straight scarf which took me 5 hours to complete. Just in time for Autumn weather.

I also taught my husband how to knit. I have to say that it truly brought a smile to my face seeing him work those needles. As he was knitting I kept hearing him say "Up, around, dive, off", his way to remember the stitch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“In August I flew to see my almost 90 year old grandmother. She has always told me stories of her life but I have never taken the time to record them. In high school I interviewed my grandfather for a few hours for a school project. I had questions about her life and was interested in her side of the stories.

I had a wonderful time chatting with my grandmother. At her age she often lost track of the story or what to talk about next but as I knew most of the stories well I could help her and we both had a lovely time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I did not have anyone nearby to swap bags with and thought about swapping with other farmgirl sisters but I felt I would simply give bags to people I knew who didn't use reusable bags. I hope this qualifies. I will of course organize a swap if this isn't quite what MaryJanesFarm allows but I thought it just might be in helpful farmgirl fashion to give rather than receive.

I made 12 feed sack totes for friends and family. Explaining how much more durable and useful these bags are. Most of my bags were made from chicken feed sacks but a few were from horse feed. I chose homes for my bags based on the animals in the homes. I tailored the measurements of a bag for my mother-in-law to mimic the paper sacks from grocery stores that she uses in her car to confine various items on her road trips. I also made my husband two bags to fit egg cartons two across by a few tall to stop him from carrying eggs to work to sell in plastic bags. I felt gifting bags to others that could use them rather than swapping with people that already used them would make a bigger impact in greening up this planet.

I have enjoyed hearing how much my friends liked the bags and have more requests for construction of bags for others. It is exciting to see the knowledge spreading of how helpful saving a few plastic bags can be.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I am applying for all three levels of this badge. It is actually fairly limited here what you can recycle. We are a fairly small community so everything that gets recycled actually gets trucked away to be reused. We started with aluminum cans and added plastics 1 and 2s to our saving last year. We store it in our garage until we have quite a pile then take it to town. We also re purpose as much as we can.

My Husband was the last to get on board but he actually drives the recycling to town now. We love that we could downsize our garbage can and even share it with two other households. We even forget to put out the trash some weeks and it doesn't really set us back. I got my boss to start a recycle bin at work. It is amazing how many things we can recycle at work. For years my boss would have to take the lid off our very large garbage can and climb in and jump on the garbage to get the lid to shut. I haven't seen him jump on the trash for about a year now. It feel good to see that much different.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“In July I took my two daughters (3 and 6 years old) and went camping for two nights. We had so much fun. We did as much hiking as the 3 year old could do. We had campfires and I got to enjoy their company while talking to them about our wonderful world.

We had a great time. The girls were so tired after their days that I got to have some quiet time in the evenings all to myself. It was refreshing for all of us. I was so nervous about camping without my husband but of course us girls did just fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  4:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I am applying for all levels of this badge.

Beginner - My husband has been an avid hunter since he was 12. He has taught me so much about wild game. I started out watching my husband hunt and helping him butcher his game. He also introduced me to the hunting regulations and how to use them to ensure I hunt properly.

Intermediate - I finished my hunter's safety course in 2003. I was one of the only women and as a grown woman in the class it felt odd. When I aced the written exam the guys that had sat around me for the week were pretty amazed. I have been hunting with my husband every year since 2000. I make jerky every year. This fall I made 10 pounds of jerky. It is a great snack for our hunting trips.

Expert - Last week I shot my first turkey. We butchered it in the field then had a great home cooked dinner with family to taste and celebrate. We predominantly eat deer and elk in our home and always butcher it ourselves. We feel that we will take better care of what we will eventually eat than a processing business. We try to process quickly and take good care of the meat we take. Over the years we have experimented with different muscles to find the way we like each prepared for.

I find I can worry less about chemicals my family eats by eating deer and elk (and an occasional turkey). I like that these animals die in their home rather than in slaughter houses that most store meat has to spend its last few days living in or near.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We got a flock of chickens in April of this year. We have 15 hens and 1 rooster. At the beginning they weren't laying eggs we were getting an egg here and an egg there. Now they are very happy as we are getting 10-12 eggs a day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  4:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made this blanket for my friend in the Netherlands she had a baby last month. I used 2 skeins of smoky grey and 2 skeins of light grey. This blanket used a sc and a cross over stitch. I was not familiar with the cross over stitch it took about 3 hours for me to get the hang of it.

I think it turned out very nice i'm very excited to mail it and see what she thinks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  4:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I use vinegar and baking soda as a cleaning aid. I use it on floors and counters in the bathroom too. Yesterday i made my own laundry detergent using only 3 ingredients.

I love using the vinegar and soda because there is no harsh smell like when using bleach or other cleaners. The laundry detergent turned out great. My clothes had a nice clean and fresh smell will definitely be making more. I'm thinking Christmas presents.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  3:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Platt (GardenGirl50, #5353) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“About 4 years ago my husband and I converted half of our huge lawn into a vegetable garden. We built 17 permanent beds. They are 3 feet wide by 6 1/2-12 feet long. (The shape of the garden is wider at the top then the bottom, so we have different lengths). One of the beds is round. I have my herb garden planted in that. I have 3 foot wide paths between each bed. The size of the whole garden is 30 feet wide by 52 feet long.

I don’t use any synthetic fertilizers or pesticides any where on my property. I plant flowers in my vegetable garden to bring in the beneficial insects. If I have aphids I wash them off with water. If I find other bad bugs like cucumber beetles I try to squash as many as I can. I don’t even like using organic sprays, so I try everything else first. I tell everyone I can about not using pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. I have started reading “Montrose: Life in a Garden”

This has turned out fabulous. I love all the space I have. I can plant lots of paste tomatoes to make sauce for the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  4:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Platt (GardenGirl50, #5353) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“As a Master Gardener I have learned lots about composting. I have been to Sonoma Compost twice to learn about composting. Sonoma Compost is a wonderful program ran by our county waste management. They turn everyone’s green waste (curb pick-up) into OMRI listed organic compost.

After I became a Master Gardener (in 2011), my husband and I built a permanent composting system. It has three sections that are about 3x3x4. We have about an acre and a half of gardens and trees. So we have lots of materials for me to compost. I have a little chipper so I can shred up my garden pruning's. I add all my vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, and I shred paper, newspaper, light weight cardboard and add that. I have chickens so I have chicken manure to add. I get a full wheelbarrow about three times a year to put back in my gardens.

It has been great to have the 3 bin composting system. It is a lot easier to manage. I love that I rarely if ever have to buy compost. With my homemade compost I know what is in it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  4:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I read the book eats, shoots and leaves by Lynne Truss. I found it to be a good refresher but kind of hard to get through. I also continued to learn new words and practice them in my daily life. This entertained many of my friends and coworkers. They thought it was a joke and would stop in to ask what the word of the day was.

I wrote a letter discussing the importance of good syntax in communication. I talked about how in a world of texting and abbreviations good communication is all but lost. It was really rather interesting to think about but worrisome at the same point. Is our current generation lost? Do they have a chance at learning how to communicate properly. It is really up to us to show them and many parents aren't up to that task.

As I stated it was interesting to think about. I enjoyed the paper more than the reading but I guess it is expected to like some aspects more than others. I will definitely take more time teaching my kids how to talk to others and respond accordingly. I don't want them to be part of the generation that doesn't know how to communicate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I made scrapbooks for my sister and sister in law to commemorate their weddings this summer. Their weddings were only a month a part but were very different in style. I included items like ribbons and flowers, invitations, cards, pieces of decorations, etc from each of the wedding along with the pictures into the albums. My sisters is old Hollywood silver and gold. My sister in laws is country kitsch and more eclectic.

They were both very surprised to get them and even though they were different both felt very special and blessed which was the goal so I feel like I did my job. I love to scrapbook so I would do this all of the time if I could.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houligan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“While accidentally recycling incorrectly, I was given a paper with all the recycling information I needed in my town. I had to go to the town website for information about a couple of other things. I no longer get nasty-grams in my recycle bin which is nice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  4:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houligan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling properly for many years now! Once in a while a make a little mistake on what I put in the bin, but hardly ever.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  4:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houligan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“When we joined a local CSA, they had an option to volunteer to work at the farm to decrease the cost of our share. They asked for 10 hours of time. We ended up spending 4 or 5 hours there every week!

It was a great learning experience for us and the food was delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  4:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I am applying for the intermediate and expert badges. I just finished Beef: The Untold Story. Living in Montana we know quite a few people who raise beef. We help our friends with branding and vaccinating most years. We also raise a few steers every year to keep our pasture healthy. We actually don't eat much of our own beef but sell it. We have quite a few friends that have learned how much better the meat can be this way. We have eaten it with our friends who buy it. We and of course our friends that buy it love the flavor and quality of our grass fed beef. My husband and I are both veterinarians so visiting farms is certainly not a rarity for us. I love seeing cows and calves out enjoying pasture around our area and love how healthy and happy they seem.

We just bought five heifers for our pasture. We love having them and watching them grow and play. We do love how they taste and how much healthier they are for us without all the chemicals and hormones added. We generally eat deer and elk as our red meat sources as they have even less fat and hormone/ drug residue. My friends were very interested to know how much better than normal store beef farm raised can be. I posted today about my experience with this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I picked my children's preschool/daycare. I offered to help and found myself designated the parent-teacher liaison. Last October I started my position with a letter to the parents explaining my role as a go-between to help facilitate communication and make complaints less personal if necessary. Once a month I sat in on the board meetings and reported what complaints or concerns I knew of and suggested ideas for improvement. I also helped organize a fundraiser to raise money for scholarships for kids whose folks needed help paying for preschool. Through the year I spent at least 15 hours helping out.

I really enjoyed helping. I was surprised how much the teachers needed a little venting about parents. I also found that the board members are all grandparents or great grandparents so they didn't always see problems from a parents perspective. I liked helping so much that I retained the position this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I actually had to sharpen knives for a class in college but since I married a classmate he has been sharpening our knives for the last ten years. My husband was at first worried that I didn't like how he sharpened knives when I asked him for a refresher course. Last spring we sharpened our knives together.

I will fully admit my husband is better at sharpening knives than I am. I did get my half sharpened well but my husband was done in half the time with his. I too appreciate a nice sharp knife so I am glad I had a refresher course.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page