Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  6:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I live in an area where horses are not hard to find. My husband and I took a bike ride a few miles from our house and looked at the fields of beautiful horses. I really liked the American Painted Horses and swooned over all of the miniture horses!

I scheduled an hour long ride near Rocky Mountain National Park and brought a friend along with me.

This truly turned out great! My first and only experience with a horse prior to this was at summer camp when I was a child. The horse stepped on my foot crushing it and I had many months recovery with added complications due to my type I diabetes. I was traumatized by the experience but have always still admired horses (from afar). When I saw this badge I knew that it was time for me to try to get over my fear of being too close to them (I do know that what happened to me as a kid was due to my inexperience and not the horse, but I was fearful none the less).

I was very nervous being near the horse and getting on it, but once I was in the saddle my fear went away. The horse I rode was gentle and the ride was amazing (AND she was an American Paint Horse by chance). I really had the time of my life and would love the opportunity to go again! (I am in the white shirt with the huge smile on my face!)”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  6:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I already know how to crochet so I chose to make a dishtowel with a challenging pattern in it. I actually created the pattern for the cloth myself, but followed a pattern to make the crocheted tulips on the corners.

I "taught" my husband to crochet single crochet. He listened attentively and watched what I showed him. Once I finished my tutorial he smiled and said that he was glad that I enjoyed it. I don't know that he retained anything I "taught" him, but I certainly tried.

I this this came out OK. I am going to play with this pattern a little bit and modify it to have more tulips.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  10:30:10 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for completing a Beginner Level "Lend a Hand to Farm Families" Merit Badge!

"In order to earn this Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge (helping a farm family by donating six hours of my time, either in feeding their animals or cleaning up around the farm), I first had to find a farm family.

Driving around slowly through the countryside is nice and all, but at the price of gas these days, not conducive to a girl’s budget. Why, just the other day, I had to hang out the window at the pump and shout at the gas station attendant to shut it off before he spent my unborn children’s college fund.

Also, driving around in slow motion staring at country houses made me feel like I was an escaped lunatic, casing the joint.

So, I switched tactics ..."

Earn a beginner "Lend a Hand to Farm Families" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.RaisingJane.org/journal/15245

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  3:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“After figuring out that we spend about $2.50 per person per meal we picked a Friday night meal and put that with the amount it would cost us for a week of meals. We were able to donate to our local Church Food Pantry $105.00.

We were blessed to be able to add to our Pantry. Our Church Pantry aims to help families that are in need and those homeless in the area. Many times these folks do not have access to kitchens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“On May 1, 2013 I was able to start a month long food drive within our congregation for the Church Pantry. It was promoted by weekly announcements and a flyer/shopping list of the items our pantry keeps in stock in the weekly bulletin.

At the end of the month the week of May 31, 2013, we had collected 145 new items. That was a 45% increase over the goal of 100 items.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“First, crochet is the perfect craft to do when you are watching baseball and golf with a nearly bedridden step-father.

I already know how to crochet, so I worked on this project by learning a new stitch (half double) and to make granny squares. I made three dish cloths: one using half double only, one a granny square, and one combining two colors of left over yarn using a shell stitch. I also made a scarf/muffler for this winter out of some wool I purchased some time ago but never used. I taught my mother to crochet.

I was surprised to know that my mom didn't know how to crochet, as it was her mom who taught me. She learned many stitches and completed the half-double dish cloth I made. Teaching my mom was definitely the best part of earning this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  4:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I gathered T shirts, sheets, dresses, skirts etc made of cotton material that were damaged in a way that they could not be reused from family and friends as well as around my house. I spent many hours cutting these into strips to make yarn and then crocheted them together to make a large rug for our living room. This project was very hard on my hands and wrists and I couldn't work on it non stop. I had to take many breaks to let my wrists and hands rest, so it took me over a year to complete the large rug.

I absolutely love how this rug came out, though it may present an issue when it needs to be cleaned! I don't think it can be tossed into the washer given it's weight. I made several smaller rugs for the kitchen and one for the entry way using the same technique. I plan to make one of these for a tent mat as well, it would be perfect to pad the floor of a tent against rocks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I am applying for beginner, intermediate and expert level badges in this category.

I researched 5 types of herbs and learned their uses. I have tried all 5 of these herbs and love them all. I have been growing an herb garden for the past 5 years and have the following herbs currently growing: Sage, thyme, lemon thyme, dill, flat leaf parsley, Italian parsley, pineapple sage, chives, purple basil, spicy oregano, Italian oregano, globe basil, Thai basil, stevia, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint and mountain mint.

Every year I share bags of herbs with my friends, family and neighbors, which I clump into bunches and label. I have also made several body products using herbs and have also shared those with friends and family.

I think that herb gardening has gone really well for me. I have the hardest time with dill for some reason and suspect that a neighbor's cat may have something to do with that as I have seen him around the dill digging. I really enjoy herb gardening and plan to continue to do so. This year my DH and I plan to pull out the edging on herb garden and expand it so the herbs have more room because they are starting to escape their area!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Whitney (TammyW, #4946) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My friend re-sparked my passion for buttons by sending me her mother's vintage button collection. Next I found a bag of vintage buttons at Goodwill, with some still on the original cards! What a find! Then my mother-in-law came across her mother's button collection and was actually going to throw it away until she remember how much I love them. There is a lot of history in that set and I loved spending time with my mother-in-law listening to her remember outfits her mother had made and some she had worn.

This has been such a fun therapeutic project! After a stressful day there is nothing more calming then sorting buttons. My son helped me sort and put them in vintage mason jars. I still have more buttons to sort but that's the beauty of it! It never ends! Excited for my husband to put up new shelves above my sewing table so that my collection can have a place of honor."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Missy Durant (OrganiGal, #5271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“This is my very first badge! I'm so excited! =) I have a ton of old soup cans and I finally found a project to use them for. I used a Longaberger basket I had and some of the cans to store my sewing supplies in. I also made my pin cushion using one of the cans. I stuffed a scrap piece of fabric with stuffing, forming a tight ball and knotted the loose end. I then hot-glued it onto the base of the can. To dress it up, I added an old ribbon and a fabric label.

I just love how it turned out! I usually keep all of my sewing stuff in a desk and it's very cluttered and disorganized. This way, all of my necessities are portable and I can take them anywhere in my house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Missy Durant (OrganiGal, #5271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I don't have any of MaryJane's books yet, so I watched Youtube videos to learn the 5 basic embroidery stitches. I practiced each stitch on scrap fabric and then did a final stitch on the piece I framed.

I think I did pretty well for my first time. The stitches don't look perfect in the photo, but this will be a nice keepsake to remember how I began!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“I am making fabulous use of my numerous Girl Scout trips with my troop and others - they are earning their badges and I'm working on mine!

The three day hikes I took to new places included:

Feb 24: GS Camp White Rock in Cacapon West VA, where we went "cold weather" camping and some scouts tried hiking with a full(ish) pack for the first time. On our hike around the camp, we found a picked-clean, dried out animal skull that was later identified as a juvenile bear. Very exciting!

April 19: A private campground in Middleburg VA, where I had to hike the entire camp and visit every cabin our group was going to use, so it was quite a hike. The reward on this trek was to see a pair of pileated woodpeckers flirting and beautiful pockets of Virginia Bluebells.

May 18: GS Camp Potomac Woods near Leesburg VA where we did a nature hike that went from woods to along the Potomac and included a little rain about which there were no complaints - amazing!

We were not hiking at a time to see VA's state flower and tree in bloom (the Dogwood) but I did see numerous cardinals, VA's state bird. Not a unique choice for state bird - the cardinal holds that title for 13 states.

For the final requirement of learning how to make a safe campfire, if you are doing things the GS way you are uber safe. We are required to clear the fire circle, keep the fire-building staff to a minimum and each scout has to ask permission to enter the fire circle - great crowd control and keeps running to a minimum. For safety equipment we have to have a bucket of water, rake or shovel and leather gloves IN the fire circle. Everyone has to have their hair tied back and any "dangles" like hoody ties have to be tucked in so they don't drop in the fire. All good practices, and we start with it right from the start when the little five-year-olds start in scouts. Lots of training and repetitive training helps keep the adults honest, too, which is all good.

Working on the merit badge turned out really well, with a few surprising results. I am very inspired to hike new places and break out of my rut of continually going back to the routes I know. While there is comfort in familiarity, there is so much more to see and I need to get out and see it.

Researching campfires and interesting ways to teach the basics of fire and fire safety had some interesting finds including learning how to make some killer long-lasting fire starters out of wax-dipped dryer lint packed in a section of cardboard egg crate, using dental floss to wrap around the whole thing as you dip it in wax. The most fun was having the scouts test which makes a better fire starter - Cheetos or Doritos. Cheetos, hands down. Try it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Woman Merit Badge!

“I revisited my day-pack contents, which as an experienced high-altitude hiker included everything on your list... but realized several items desperately needed replaced.

I had to do some serious research to learn edible native plants beyond the terribly obvious fruit trees and brambles. If you can buy it at the farmers' market, I opted to not count it on my list of ten items.

I laid out everything in my hiking day pack and threw away then replaced about half of what was in it. Obviously things like energy bars have a limited shelf life and I replaced them seasonally, but I had not opened my first aid supplies in... let's just say it has been a while. The antibiotic ointment was expired, some of the adhesive bandages has been jostled around to the point the package had OPENED! No way could those be safely used. The rain poncho was so old it was cracking and flaking. Wow. So everything got a serious once-over and whatever was not in very good condition was tossed and replaced.

Regarding the edible native plant portion of the requirement, I went mostly for food items. In my own yard I have bee balm that can make a really nice tea, cinnamon ferns whose little fiddleheads could be braised in butter, wild violets and dandelions whose young leaves could make a nice salad, and an Eastern Redbud tree whose flowers apparently make a tasty bite if yo take off the dark lower portion.
The squirrels have shown me the acorns are edible, but they need to be soaked for days or boiled to remove tannins humans find unpalatable and whose digestive systems rebel against violently. (Perhaps my copious consumption of red wine - full of tannins - could render me free of this side effect, but I am not willing to test this theory.)

I learned a lovely little flower called Spring Beauty has a starchy root which can be used as a potato substitute, as can cattail roots if you boil them. Queen Anne's lace root can also be edible, but tend to be stringy and tough and since they can be easily confused with a poisonous plant, they are best left in the ground.

Mushrooms mushrooms mushrooms. Love 'em on pizza, don't want to take a chance eating them out in the wild. There are too many that can kill you if you don't know what you're doing, and since I don't know what I'm doing even after reading about them, I'll enjoy them on my pizza. But I'll count them on my list of ten plants and treat them as poison instead of food.

As an aside, since the gorgeous red foxes that visit my yard tend to mark on my ferns, there isn't enough rinsing or butter to make me want to harvest and cook them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  6:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“A friend & I sat down & taught each other how to knit. We had some good belly laughs with stitches being dropped. The afghan was a garter stitch only but it was changing colors & picking up stitches to make the border. But we both accomplished a knitted afghan. Don't know if we will pursue another knitted project.

For the most part with a lot of ripping out & reknitting sections the afghan turned out pretty well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for completing a Beginner Level "Water Conservation" Merit Badge!

"This week for my Merit Badge, I’m conserving water. Sounds simple enough, right?

With me ... not so much.

If there was a 12-step recovery program for H2O addicts, I’d be a member. Actually, I wouldn’t just be a member, I’d be the president. I have a need, you see: a need for cleanliness and all things water-logged. Not to mention, all things bubbly and scented."

Earn a beginner Level "Water Conservation" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.RaisingJane.org/journal/15886

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  11:25:02 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a Farmgirl Legend certificate of achievement in Chapter Guru!

April went 3 1/3 times above the call of duty in her quest for Guru.

“Presentation Number 1
The second meeting that I held after the startup of River Valley Farmgirls in 2010 was on Square Foot Gardening. I could hardly believe the attendance! There were 13 of us in my small living room. I took them through the basics of what Square Foot Gardening was using Mel Bartholomew's book as my guide. I had a handout for them to write notes on and everyone had a bazillion questions. It was a super successful and fun evening of learning about the ins and outs of Square Foot Gardening. From that one meeting, 7 of the ladies started their own Square Foot Garden in their backyards and still have them today!

Presentation Number 2
We had a meeting in May 2010 where we talked about Milk and the differences in them. We discussed Ultra-Pasteurized/Homogenized, Pasteurized/Homogenized, Pasteurized/Non-Homogenized, and Raw. We then did a "milk tasting" of 4 different kinds of milk. My husband poured them so we didn't know which one was which and then tasted each of them. The four we tried were: Ultra-Pasteurized Conventional 1%, Pasteurized Organic 1%, Pasteurized/Non-Homogenized Grass-Fed Organic Whole, and Grass-Fed Organic Raw. It was a really fun evening of tasting, discussing and discovering! In hindsight, I would have made sure that all the milks were whole milk to be fair.
The next month I invited the Farmgirls to an event at the local dairy I get my milk from. It was called Milkapalooza. They toured the farm, pasture, and dairy to see where the wholesome Grass-Fed milk came from they had tasted a month before. Everyone that was at the milk tasting attended plus more farmgirls and their families! They even got to milk a cow by hand! Great fun!

Presentation Number 3
In August of 2010, we had a bread night where I taught the ladies how to make bread and pizza from scratch. It was a hilarious and hot night of flour flying all over my small kitchen. The ladies got their hands dirty and in the dough to make several loaves of bread and to have a go at making pizza dough. I showed them how to make the pizza on a pizza stone in the oven and use a pizza peel. It was a lot of fun and aprons were definitely required for this fun evening....night...we were up late that one chatting about all sorts of crazy things!

Presentation Number 4
I taught a sewing class on making aprons. I took them through the basics of sewing and we made aprons together. It was an interesting evening to see the different styles of personalities shine through in the making of their projects. Some were very exact and perfectionists and others were totally "wild" and carefree in their process of making them. Regardless how they got there, mistakes left in or ripped out, they all felt accomplished with their new aprons. It was a fun evening to share.

Presentation Number 5
We had a canning night where I walked them through the basic steps of canning. We didn't actually can anything that evening, but it was a great evening getting familiar with all the tools. We had canned items for door-prizes and even a Ball Blue Book for one lucky gal!

Presentation Number 6
In January of 2011, I gave a presentation called, "How to Eat Organic Without Going Crazy or Broke." I discussed with them all the ins and outs about shopping organically at their local grocery store, warehouse clubs, farmers markets, and CSAs. We discussed some of the dilemmas with trying to give their families healthy options when their budget just wasn't large enough. We talked about the "Good, Better, Best," principle and how to not beat yourself up if you couldn't do all organic perfectly. I told them about our journey to an organic lifestyle and encouraged them that it takes baby steps and a lot of planning. I showed them my grocery list system, my meal planning notebook, the clean 15/dirty dozen lists, what is essential to buy organic and what can wait till your budget gets caught up with your desires. It was a lot to pack into one evening, but I think most were encouraged or inspired to give it a go.

Presentation Number 7
Pie Night! We all brought our own pies to share, then I talked about my method of pie crust making. I demonstrated for the ladies my way of making a pie crust. I showed them the pastry blender method and that I love using butter. Others shared their methods and then one showed us her technique with the food processor. We all concluded that pie in any shape or form is amazing! "I like pie!"

Presentation Number 8
In March of 2012 we had a Cleaning Green meeting. I posted online about it and this is what it said:

“We made some laundry soap and all-purpose cleaner www.rodale.com/natural-cleaning-recipes and www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html, made t-shirt reusable bags www.marthastewart.com/266942/t-shirt-bag, had a granola taste-off, ate some amazing lunch together, chatted about heirloom gardening and everyone saw my baby chicks. It was such a great time! We had 9 of us together that day. One of the farmgirls brought us some farm fresh eggs too!We were working on the Going Green and Shopping Green merit badges.”

Presentation Number 9
After snowstorms and other postponements...we finally had our meeting January 2013 called, "Beef, It's What's For Dinner." I did a presentation on beef and all the magical parts of a cow. We discussed all sorts of topics involving beef, from tallow to oxtail soup. It was a great evening with some great handouts and lots of laughs! I pulled my oxtails out of my freezer for them to see and that's what I'm holding in the picture!

Presentation Number 10
"Here Chicky-Chicky!" was a fun evening of learning all about chickens. We did chicken trivia, I had them look at a chicken diagram to learn the parts of a chicken, talked about raising chickens, fencing/housing chickens etc..., they also saw my new baby chicks and got to hold them. We ate a yummy meal of various chicken salads and thoroughly enjoyed the topic! We even had chicken show and tell!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“For this badge I painted the entire (Inside) of my house. I have chosen the bedroom fore completion of this badge. The room was white and I chose blue for its calming effects.

The painting really made a difference in a very big way. It soften the rooms decor. I completed the room with new curtains and bedspread. I had painted an oil picture a year ago which happen to be a winter scene and we hung it in the room to complete the look. This room is now known as the winter room.

I have just finished the book and realize that I now have the knowledge to complete upgrades and repairs around the house.
I hope this is all that you need. All the painting and remodeling projects in regards to painting the house is done. I am now starting on the outside.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“For this badge I did a complete makeover in the kitchen. The walls have a two texture of drywall and brick. The cabinets were white on the top and a peachy brown on the bottom. The brick I painted a Lemon Meringue color, the drywall was painted a very bright yellow called Sunspark and the cabinets were prepared and painted Bees Wax. To complete the remolding job, we rearrange the drawers, put down contact paper and moved the refrigerator to a different position in the kitchen.

At first the walls were so bright that I did not think I would like them. But as I completed the other painting it toned down the brightness and now that it is done I really love the way it turned out. We are still getting use to the changes I made in the kitchen with the movement of the drawers, the microwave, and the new placement of the refrigerator, but the room looks fun and inviting and this room I am calling the summer room because of its cherry feeling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  6:04:32 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“In 2009 we made a trellis out of tomato stakes, zip ties and galvanized fencing. In 2012 when we moved to our new house, we made a bean teepee in our new garden.

The trellis worked great for several years, but it did start to warp and bend and with big wind gusts, it wasn't the best construction. Next time I'll have thicker wood on each side.

The bean teepee was a big fail. We used found sticks from our woods and bailing twine. We had no idea how deep we should have buried each end and so with the very strong winds we now have, it just wasn't deep enough! We now know that our poles need to be dug very deeply for anything to withstand the crazy country wind we are experiencing! We are going to try something different this year. Nothing like trial and error!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  6:10:00 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I used some great director chairs, some curtains that we weren't using in the house, a couple of small porch side tables and set it all up under our quick shade. I found some fun antique farm chairs at the Junk Bonanza, a chenille bedspread at an antique store in Wisconsin, and a wood box that some say looks like a manger, but I think it's perfect for holding blankets or even firewood!

I also made a small bunting out of seam binding and various colors of gingham I had in my scrap pile. I got myself a new air-mattress to replace our old one and utilized a very warm woolrich blanket we had received as a wedding present.

With my tent and canopy up, it was a great start to the world of glamping in my backyard. I just needed to remember to stake down my canopy really well, as it blew and was never the same. It wasn't perfect, but it was the beginning and every time out, I am learning more about what I want and don't want in the way of glamping!

This photo is the only one I have before the wind whipped it and it's also before I had put up the curtains in it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I ordered the book when it was pre-order status and I got it faster than expected! I was ecstatic! I read it cover to cover in one setting and then read it again! Lots of great ideas!

I hosted a Glamping Adventure in my backyard last September and we had quite the adventure! It was from a Thursday night to Sunday morning.

The weekend was FULL of FUN! We went to the Junk Bonanza, did multiple classes taught by farmgirls, made a float, marched in a parade and had a fabulous glamour dinner on Saturday night. It was exhausting, but super fun and we wanna do another one!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  6:15:11 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“Well, the planning began in the fall of 2012 and things got rolling right before Christmas. It was non-stop planning and preparing till May 2013!

We glamped in Lindsborg, KS for the Millfest Weekend in ode to MaryJane's mill that is similar and because it's my hometown. Kansas is beautiful during the month of May and this year...

So after all sorts of planning and dreaming, it was up to the ole weather to put a kink in our plans. It was snowing, thunder-storming and cold for our weekend. Thankfully we had one great day of weather (windy, but sunny. It was a huge success and the ladies all had a fun time. We met new friends and brought along old friends. Most of us were new to the glamping thing, so we all bumbled along together.

We were supposed to be in a tent, but last minute with the crazy weather, my dad resurrected my grandma's rv from storage and we did a quick clean and I'm glad we did! It got cold! It wasn't as glamperific as I had hoped, but we turned the dusty rose seating into lime green gingham with my re-purposing of comforter covers and old curtains. Threw on a bright and colorful tablecloth from Mexico and voila... we were glamping! We were exhausted by the end, but I'm glad we did it because we made some great new friends!

One of my favorite moments of the whole trip was when MaryJane, Meg, Ace, and Meg's friend drove through the campground and the kids came up to me and said, "I just saw MaryJane in that car! Is it her?" I nodded and they all squealed in delight. So cute!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Gina McKnight (HorseSister, #5281) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Bloggin Merit Badge!

“Hi! Love to blog! Blogging for several years now, I host a myriad of equestrians, writers, riders, authors, poets, artists, and more! Besides that, I share my poetry, press releases and things I call 'serendipity'. It's a place where my freelance articles are archived, too. Also, I share other peoples stories, poems and much more...come and visit!

My international blog has over 43,000 hits from all over the world. It has turned out very well. I enjoy the connection with diverse cultures and meeting new people.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I kept track of all our energy expenditures for over a month. We changed all the rest of our light bulbs into energy efficient ones. For flashlights, we purchased LED, wind up ones--they are wonderful! Hubby installed new shower heads that are energy efficient, too. We also cook on our grill--gas or wood. And I use my new energy efficient crock pots for most meals.

I like the fact that I am aware of the energy that we use & paying attention not to use more than we need.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a recycling center close to us. It recycles #1 & 2 plastics, aluminum, tin, papers of all sorts, toxic--like old paints--cardboard, batteries. We don't have curbside except in the city of Escanaba. Curbside recycling is not available to us in "the country."

I have been recycling since 1986, both here and at our last home. We try to find a use for everything if we can't recycle it. We've saved lots of things from going into the dump. And I feel great about doing it.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page