Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane Duffel (Madelina, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching Room for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

“I decided to participate in a MJF Dish Cloth swap last July and crocheted a simple grannie square project from cotton yarn. See picture.

This fall I taught a few women the very basics of crochet (chaining, turning, single crochet, and working on tension.) I have enjoyed getting back into crocheting, and am deciding on some future project for the winter.

The ladies enjoyed the class and asked that we continue with the lessons in the New Year. I find that I really enjoy teaching and look forward to continuing our lessons ”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  3:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge!

“It took me from Nov. 26 to Jan 3 to read The Soul of a Horse. I have read Monty Roberts a man that listens to horses and Shy Boy so I found a lot of similarities between the books and the authors though I did learn a lot. I have a lot to learn as well however I felt validated to how I treat my horses and know I need to continue to practice and learn and research.
I checked out the web site as well.

Arabians:
Below are Cutter and Shania, our horses. Cutter is an Arabian gelding and Shania is a half arab half quarter horse mare. We just bought another one Maximus who is a palomino quarter horse, gelding.
I like the Arabian but find that he is a lot more prone to worms and his skin is thinner ( like most Arabs ) . He is not an easy keeper. I like the fact that the Arabs are an endurance animal and have spirit and get up and go. Arabs are smart! They originate from the desert in Arabia and are amazing animals that got forever. Cutter is super level where Shania, when you are on the ground can dance around a bit but once you are on you couldn’t get a better horse.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson (Yart, #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Water Conservation badge!

“I have been tracking my water bill since August at which time we used 13 Tgal of water. We have installed reducers on the shower and all the faucets. It has made doing things a bit of a challenge because we already have low water pressure.

In August we used 13 Tgal, Sept. we used 9 Tgal, Oct. we used 7 Tgal and that is where we seem to be holding steady at.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson (Yart, #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level blogging badge!

“I already have a blog. But I did get pick up Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds by Tara Frey.

It was a very interesting book. I even found a new site to be able to dress up my blog with. I would recommend it to anyone just starting out with blogging.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  3:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson (Yart, #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level blogging badge!

"I have blogging for awhile. But about a year ago I changed the name of my blog to represent where I want to be in my life. I have over 600 posts to date. And I applied to GirlGab.

I love blogging! It is tool for me to journal my journey."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  4:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Organic on a Budget badge!

“Last year at Christmas time, I took food to two separate sets of friends that I have down in Atlanta. I took my homemade Cranberry Walnut Bread to one, and Banana Nut Bread to the other. These were from my book, "Alive Health Recipe Book - Healthy Eating On The Run" and both of them loved it.

They have known me for awhile and know I'm a "health nut," but my book got them on a new mission to eat organic.

Both of them started going to local farmer's markets and buying organic produce to eat during the summer and to freeze for future use. They changed some of the ways they prepared food and tried new products too.

They said that they really appreciated my book and have tried many of the recipes within it, with excellent results. That's the way to eat organic on a budget!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Greatest Generation badge!

“For this merit badge I spent more time with my aging grandmother. She has so many wonderful stories of her early life in Chicago. Also her early years of marriage to my, now passed, grandfather. My daughter and I sat with old grandma playing games and talking about life.

It turned out wonderful. My mother even joined in. There was four generations spending time together. It is wonderful to be so close to my family and I cherish it so.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  4:44:46 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level recipes badge!

"To earn this badge I went through my binders and cards, looking for family and favorite recipes. I copied them to the 3 1/2 x 5 cards and then added them to each box.

They turned out great. I kept the boxes simple because I know that the plastic can get just about anything spilled on them. The first box has gone to my Brother-in-law’s new wife and the next one is reserved for when my brother gets married and the last will be a gift for a very close family friend."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Breezy Blodgett (Breezy Blodgett, #4468) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

“Last summer I purchased 6 reusable shopping bags. The rigid sided ones, made of recycled plastic. They're super cute, bright green with owls on them. I've been using them regularly since. The other day I was picking up some groceries and noticed reusable produce bags. I grabbed a 3 pack. I'm excited to use them. I'll need to get more since we buy a ton of produce during the winter.

The bags have been working great. I really like that the contents always stay contained. Stuff never ends up rolling around the car like with disposable bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  5:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Breezy Blodgett (Breezy Blodgett, #4468) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"Last spring we purchased chickens. In two separate batches, they really are addicting! We have 11 total. They "free range" in a large fenced yard, to protect them from neighborhood dogs, they also have pellets and crumbles. My favorite source of food for them, is when my kids and I work in the garden, we bring them in with us to feast on bugs, weeds and seeds.

It's been amazing! We love to watch them, and take care of them. I love how the kids interact with them. Even my husband, whom was originally supportive because of my interest in them but had no real interest of his own, loves that we have them and the fresh eggs!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2013 :  4:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge!

“My 9th (and potentially last) grandchild was born this summer. The family spent the whole day with the New Mom and Baby boy. When I returned home I made a 20 page scrapbook to commemorate the birth of this little one.. leaving plenty of room for Mom to add more pictures. I pre-designed each page and added embellishments and plenty of places for journaling.

In a word: Adorable. The all the colors matched baby's shower colors. So many fun embellishments for baby. I had so much fun, I decided to do something special for all the "grownup" kids for Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2013 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Shari Doty (sharikrsna, #607) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

“My goal was to save money this Christmas, so I made dish drainer quilts, card baskets, and a twig picture frame to give as gifts. I also made a straw and burlap wreath for my kitchen, and put gingersnaps wrapped in cellophane in the tree, as well as Victorian clip art paper ornaments.

Everyone loved the gifts very much! I was so amazed how the dish drainer quilts turned out that I am going to make one for myself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Tami Erwin (mrschupa, #4684) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge!

“Water Conservation was an easy choice for my first Merit Badge because the water supply in our house comes from a shallow well. We live in an area with over 40" of annual rainfall, which keeps the water table high enough to feed our well. However, during this drought year, the water table has dropped significantly and our water supply has become limited.

I checked each faucet within our house for leaks and found none.

Methods of saving water:

Wash dishes by hand rather than dishwasher. An average dishwasher uses 10 gallons of water to wash a load of dishes. By washing by hand, I saved 7-8 gallons of water per load.

Reusing bath towels and wearing jeans more than one day reduced the number loads of laundry. A full load of laundry requires about 40 gallons of water, so cutting even two loads/week saved 80 gallons.

At 5 gallons/minute, an 10 minute shower uses 50 gallons of water. By cutting our shower time to 3 minutes or less, we saved about 35 gallons/shower.

I kept a dishpan in the sink to catch water used throughout the day for handwashing, filling a drinking glass, etc. This water was then reused to rinse dishes.

With the continued drought, our water table finally fell to a point below what was feasible, even with conservation methods, so we had to run a new line into the house from a deeper well in the pasture. However, during our conservation, we saved approximately 25 gallons/week by not using the dishwasher, 80 gallons/week cutting down on laundry, and 425 gallons/week by limiting shower time, and another 5 gallons/week by limiting wasted water - for a total savings of 535 gallons/week.

Even though conservation is no longer a necessity at our house, we will never take this precious resource for granted again and will conserve it as much as possible.

Hopefully the rains will return soon and we our original well will once again be functional and the second well can return to use for watering next summer's garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Spinning badge!

“I bought a spinning wheel this fall at our local fiber art fair. The day after it came in the mail (it arrived just in time) I started my spinning class through the college.

I spun my first skein of yarn and started buying roving. Trying to keep up. I love how fast this goes compared to knitting or crocheting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Spinning badge!

“Got a set of cards and started to play with different kinds of fiber. Plyed my yarns, got a niddy-noddy, and set my yarns. I also started teaching my 4 year old and 2 year old to treadle.

My 4 year has now spun his first bit of yarn and we made a little bag out of it for him. I have my first several skeins of yarn in the cabinet set and ready to go.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Spinning badge!

"I now attend my spinner's group. I have spun cotton, silk, and a camel silk blend into a variety of yarns. I gave my knitting SIL a skein of the camel/silk blend yarn.

I made dishcloths for Christmas presents from my 2 ply cotton, gave the camel/silk blend to my SIL, got blisters from drafting the silk (man it is strong for as little as it is), and knitted a hat for my son out of my hand spun wool. I ran out of the first yarn for that project and had to spin a matching weight yarn with a different color to finish. It worked but was a bit tricky."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

“I made 40 angel ornaments, 3 salt dough ornaments, a felt Christmas tree, a wire and paper angel, pink and blue remembrance ribbon with a pink gingham flower with a pearl center (pink and blue ribbons are to remember pregnancy and infant loss) and 3 painted globe ornaments. These were added to the ones I made last year!

I also made presents for 5 out of the 15 people we celebrated Christmas with :)

We had way to many ornaments for the tree so we gifted 30 of the angel ornaments to our Church family to take home as their own!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge!

“I love salted caramel brownies... and I love chocolate so it made the first option for recreating at home. We don't really eat anything out of a box or can so I went with a really guilty pleasure. They turned out yummy... my caramel needs some work but it was so so yummy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  4:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Kate Peikin (KatyDid, #4527) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge!

“I was sick of all the plastic shopping bags that would pile up under my butcher block after a trip to the store! Last fall, I made a concerted effort to get rid of them once and for all by buying three reusable, recycled bags from my local grocery store. The other three were given to me by my mother, who knew I was looking for reusable bags! I have been visiting the MaryJanesFarm Farmgirl Connection to read others' ideas about cleaning up and making non-toxic cleaners, and have also identified a helpful article in my back issue of Natural Home and Garden, on natural household cleaning, that will help me to make cleaners for my home. For cleaning my home surfaces, I use white vinegar and water, or white vinegar and baking soda for the tub and sinks.

I love not having the "plastic pile" in my kitchen anymore. Any stray plastic bags that make their way into my house (usually from my husband) get used as "doggie pick-up bags," or bathroom trash liners. I also find using natural household cleaners refreshing - yes, they may be vinegary when cleaning, but when I'm done, besides the clean surfaces, there is no other smelly evidence that I have been wiping things down, and that is my goal! Reducing indoor air pollution can only be a good thing for me, my husband, and our dog, so I plan to continue using these natural cleaners as well as some new natural formulas, in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge!

“I've been making my own soaps now for just over a year now. We use homemade cleaners for the house also. We strictly use a clothesline and drying rack in the summer and use the drying rack in the winter and use the dryer only when necessary. If we re-paint we will ONLY use non-toxic paint. We removed all the carpet from our house and have tile and hardwood floors now! I've helped my family with well over 10 hours in helping them be self sufficient and green clean! I've offered my books and materials to help even further!

It has been a slow process but one well worth it! After removing the carpet I was shocked to see how much dirt and nastiness was hiding underneath!!! So glad that germ and gas trap is gone! It is neat to see how much healthier and peaceful your house can become without the chemical cleaners. It almost seems they are a stimulant of some sort. Nothing like putting on clean clothes in the morning and being able to smell the sunshine on them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Emily Plunkett (#4276) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level crochet badge!

“I found an old fiber arts book and learned a few crochet stitches. I found a couple of projects online. I started with a cute owl and then made myself a hat. Altogether on the two projects, I probably spent about 12 hours.

I'm pretty happy with the owl. I wear the hat all the time. I used a wool blend, so it is awesomely warm, but it's not the prettiest. I need to learn a few more stitches to make my hats more interesting and I need to better learn how to control the shape of the hat by adding and removing stitches as needed. After completing the crocheted owl, I brought it to my mother-in-law and she loved it. She needed a refresher on the basic stitches and then I taught her how to make the little owl. She was very excited.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge!

“So much can be done in our six months, and we found that some things didn’t work for our family, but so many other things went faster than we could blink. Some of the most successful things were potatoes. My mother was very surprised that the potato salad came from my garden, potatoes and green peppers. She loved it and took a quart home. We also started stockpiling flour, just in case and we had to store it, reusing 2 liter bottles and using organic fair trade bay leaves to keep buggies out. With all that flour we started making our own bread with a bread maker we picked up at a flea market.

It was really a wonderful six months and we have decided that the big grocery store is best to stay away from. We shop mainly at our local organic store. I have been working on my two neighbors getting them to convert to some organic foods. I baked organic cookies and handed them out this year to them. Organic fever is even catching hold in my church. We are in initial steps to raising a organic, grass fed beef cow. Four families would be working together raising, feeding and taking care of the beef cow. Even my very city mother enjoys coming to my house to eat our local farm fresh food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge!

“I checked all the taps inside and out of the house. I also made a list of ways to save water like the ones suggested: Shorter showers, shutting the water off when brushing teeth, saving the water from the tap while waiting to get hot water, saving the water after cooking (like noodles, boiling cabbage,etc). Also using a spray nozzle on the hose when washing our vehicles and using it around the yard.

I found no leaks from the taps! I did this for a few weeks and one week we saved 30 gallons and another week we saved 20!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:19:34 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (CeeJay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Sharpshooter badge! This means that CJ has earned more than 200 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges.

Woo hoo!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge!

"I wanted to know what I could do with grey water so I did some research and talked around with some other gardeners to get their tried and true advice. My husband and I made a rain barrel together so I could water my potatoes and asparagus specifically with the extra water used for my flowers.

This turned out to be really interesting. I saved even more money by saving grey water. The rain barrel was great because the sun warmed the water up so it didn't shock my potatoes and especially my new asparagus roots! I want to make more rain barrels for this year!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page