Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought 6 reusable shopping bags, and my husband and I made an agreement that we would always use them.

We are still using them, and feel good about our decision."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I read Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey, and I had already chosen 2 topics for a blog: Family, and Crafting.

Although I already have a blog, reading the book gave me a few pointers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge.

"I already have a blog going that I picked a name for, and I have added it to GirlGab.com

So far so good. I write and post pics when I can, and it is a nice way to record memories."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I tried a new organic food each week, and although reluctant (because of the price, and because he likes junk food) I convinced my husband to also.

Really well! I really loved everything we tried, and I was surprised by how much better a lot of it tasted. I especially loved the organic milk and baby spinach. I definitely think that buying organic is worth it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I organized my kitchen. I recycled and/or gave away what I didn't need anymore.

Yes there were a few lids that didn't have containers anymore, but instead of recycling them I used them underneath a couple of houseplants. My kitchen is quite small an I feel a lot better with it being organized."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I researched the differences between grass-fed beef and that which is corporately raised.

I was sick by the findings, and glad that my family and I switched to organic grass-fed beef while going for the Bustin' Out badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"This summer my young cultivator and I visited some local horses for our Horsey badges. I don't have a favorite breed - sweet spot for the tiny ones.

This was so much fun to do, gave me lots of memories of my childhood. Spending time riding, grooming, and just being with the horses."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I have been gradually giving out the "What is a Farmgirl" cards, to women who have shown interest.

Our local chapter is growing."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"In August of 2011, flooding hit our area really bad. This caused some close family time as our grandchildren (and parent) came to live with us while the waters receded. During this time I made fruit leather with my oldest granddaughter. We used applesauce that I had canned.

Our last chapter meeting we made Christmas Jelly - cranberry and strawberry.

The fruit leather was a hit with the kids. Haven't tried the jelly yet..."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Let's Get Physical badge.

"This summer my DH and I hiked the Amonoosec Rail Trail in NH. We did it in parts and took 3 days to finish it. We ended up hiking about 30 miles to complete it.

Well, I learned that my body is not as young as my mind. I had a few blisters and aching muscles, but it was worth it to have done it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought 3 and sewed 3 reusable shopping bags and keep them in my car.

By sewing some of the bags it used up fabric that wasn't enough for a larger project. Always keeping bags in my car helps me use them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox, (dawn5556 #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I used baking soda and club soda in all my drains to keep them unclogged and fresher smelling. A paste of cream of tarter works great on bathroom porcelain and equal parts of white vinegar and water replaced window spray.

These items are less expensive and I always have them in the pantry. They also have no harmful chemicals and it helps me do my part towards a greener world."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Basketry badge.

"I had taken basket weaving classes many years ago, but always love making baskets. There are no classes offered here right now. But I still wanted to earn this badge. I got out all my reeds, handles & books & re-read the information. I then went on to make couple baskets that I am planning on giving to my children for Christmas.

I am very pleased with the results. I found that I hadn't forgotten much of the details to make the baskets. I even remembered to sign my baskets, like I was taught. It took me 7 hours to finish the 3 baskets I made."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Basketry badge.

"I read some information that I got at the library on Native American basket weaving. It takes lots of work to make the reeds & splines. Then I went downstairs to make basket with a handle. I worked on it for about 11 hours.

It was a little more difficult than I remembered, but it was relaxing. I think it turned out just fine. I am giving it to our son for Christmas filled with goodies."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I decided to make a small wall hanging for both my daughter & daughter-in-law for Christmas. I took a picture of them with their dogs. Then I copied them onto material via my computer/printer. I cut out my material for the borders & batting & backing. Then I sat down to sew. I did the quilting with my machine on one & hand quilting on the other. It took me approximately 3 1/2 hours to complete both.

I am very pleased with them & know that both girls will appreciate them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"As with most years, I make most of our gifts & ornaments to give as gifts. This year I am making pj's for the grandgirls. My kids, I am making baskets & filling them with goodies. I made snowflake & teacup ornaments crocheting them.

I am still busy, especially with the cookies, but I am most pleased with everything. We live & celebrate the Christmas season very simply."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for my son & daughter-in-law of their trip to visit us in Florida this past March. I used pictures I took, different fliers of places we visited. I wrapped it up & gave it to them in August, when they came to visit us.

I know that they loved it, as they spent an hour to look through it. They also wanted to show it off, too. Ahh, memories for them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz, (teryouth #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for each of my grandgirls after they came for their visits with us this summer. I used pictures, fabrics, drawings that they made, stickers, etc. I entitled them Your Visit in the U.P.
I couldn't find the book mentioned, but have read many different books by Becky Higgins, & learned many things you mentioned.

I mailed the scrapbooks to them & they called to let me know just how GREAT it was for them. They then could tell their mommy what they did when they showed her their pictures. Such memories."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff, (Kelly Diane #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a button collection. It is made up of mostly found buttons. Most of them were my grandmother's. Some were my husband's grandmother's. Some I have taken off of worn out clothing.

I love my button collection, and so do my girls. They love to take it down just to look at it and sort the buttons, and I'm constantly using buttons for projects!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong, (cowgirlup@21 #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Fishing badge.

"Attached are photos of the knots for the beginner level. This spurned many discussions on what knot you need to know and what knot you don't need to know. I told my husband to be quiet and help me with the knots!

I had a great time fishing and am proud that I can now tie my own knots and not depend on my husband all the time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong, (cowgirlup@21 #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Fishing badge.

"I have a copy of the fishing regulations in Manitoba off of the Natural Resources Web site. On Page 4 there is a list of bait and types of fish that can be caught by those types. We usually use worms or dead minnows. Live bait is not allowed in many lakes in Manitoba.
I have caught in the past master anglers of gold eye and small mouth bass. Generally, they catch pickerel and jack fish. Pickerel is caught in rivers, and in reeds close to shores of lakes. Small and large mouth bass in deep water. Gold Eye will swim off shore and in the middle of rivers. On page 16 there are pictures of common fish types of Manitoba."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong, (cowgirlup@21 #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Fishing badge.

"This summer, I caught my first Chinook salmon in a river in Haines Alaska. It was an awesome experience! I hooked three others but I never reeled them in. (This is the photo, I am with my son ).

We did not eat this fish but the night before I did and it was unreal! It totally spoiled me for fresh salmon! There is nothing like it!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"There is a huge health difference between raw and processed honey, especially in light of recent revelations that China is exporting a toxic kind of substance and passing it off as honey. This will be found mostly in processed foods, such as breakfast cereals and the like.

Raw unfiltered honey has all of the nutrients that our little friends put into their sweet treat, plus it has the local pollens that can help you avoid allergies by building up immunity to them slowly.

Around where I live, there are a number of beekeepers who sell and share their honey. That's the beauty of living in the country! They also freely share their knowledge about bees and beekeeping.

I checked the book "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" out of the library and read it enthusiastically. It has a lot of good information and has added to my store of knowledge about these industrious insects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Pay It Forward badge.

"Due to lack of openings for volunteers at our local food pantry, I did a few different things to help others.

First, my husband's employer donated a $300.00 check, in my husband's behalf, to the area food pantry. This donation is in addition to our United Way donation that we designated to another food pantry.

Second, I donated $60.00 worth of homemade jellies/jams and soaps to a charity auction. The auction benefit was for a person in need of help paying for medication. I packaged them up in nice baskets.

Third, we donated to help food baskets to be made for are folks in our area.

Fourth, I hand crocheted 14 scarves that are being shipped to those in need, in New Jersey.

I have also delivered meals to those who are unable to shop and cook on their own. I have written many letters encouraging folks to donate to local food pantries and for items that folks need."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"A friend of mine from high school reconnected with me and asked if she could put some of her bees on my property because I have sourwood trees here in the North Georgia mountains. With her guidance, I took care of them because she lives a long way away from me.

We harvested 16 pint jars of honey this summer from the "ladies" and split them between us. It was beautifully light and tasted awesome!

I harvested the honey in my kitchen and it was a huge mess, but so worth it. I shared a jar with my neighbor and Mary Ann Witcher, the head hen of our Georgia Farmgirls chapter.

I told all the members about my experiences with the bee girls and I have let clover grow up around my house for them to have. We are feeding them through the winter to make up for taking some of their honey from them.

It is a strong hive and very active. I've had a good garden harvest because of their hard work and I appreciate them very much."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page