Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  12:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"I teach second graders about rocks and minerals. Here is my rock collection that I share with my students.

The students love to learn about the differents types of rocks and minerals. My students bring in their own from home for the class to classify."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"I teach my second grade students about rocks and minerals each year. I have a collection of 50 rocks and minerals.

They love bringing their own rocks and minerals to school to share."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made my first half apron using plaid green cotton fabric. I love the deep pockets. I am going to wear this each time I gather eggs.

The apron turned out so good. My daughter fell in love with it so I have decided to make her one for Christmas."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Madison Hamby, (Farmerette of Lesley Hamby #3930) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I built a bean teepee and a trellis, both out of recycled materials. For my bean teepee I used two pieces of scrap wood we found in a building we own and some string. First I got a hand saw and sawed the two pieces in half, so I had four pieces. Then I got three of the four pieced and staked them in all the points of a triangle on the ground. Finally I brought together the tops of my poles and tied them together with yarn. For my trellis I used two old skewers, some electric tape(it was running out so I added it in for more support), and wire. First I got one pole and wrapped my wire three to four times around it, then I proceeded to take some more wire and wrap it three or four times around the other skewer. I then kept doing this until I reached the top. Finally to finish it off I sealed the poles with electric tape.

It went really well!! I'm estatic to find that I could make this by myself and it turn out the way it did!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I knitted a triangle shaped shawl. I also learned to knit dishcloths. I have knitted over a dozen of the dishcloths.

I love this shape of shawl so much that I will be making a second one with fringe on it for myself. My 10 year-old daughter is modeling the one I finished without fringe, but with a few mistakes in it.

I have been taking my knitting to the library program, where I knit while chatting with other friends. I've also taken it to other places.

I'm learning with each project, but still slower at it than crocheting. This shawl inspired me, because it is similar to the shape and style that Caroline has on Little House on the Prairie television shows.

The knitted dishcloths can be found at my on-line store (blogspot). I am also selling them at the Farmer's Market this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Madison Hamby, (Farmerette of Lesley Hamby #3930) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I enrolled and passed a hunters safety course along with reading about Illinios hunting regulations.

It went really well, I passed my hunters safety course."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Myself, and and another farmgirl friend, have been taught to shoot and have been learning the basics and laws of hunting here.

Safety hunter courses here are geared toward the 5th grade school level.

I have been practicing shooting two types of guns at home - shotgun and hand gun. My husband and I have located a range that we can go to also (vs. at home).

My father is an experienced hunter and gun handler and so is my brother (who is a policeman). There are many family members I can also learn from."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My son is leaving for college so I made him a quilt made from his favorite outgrown t-shirts and school uniform pants and vest. The backing was made from fabric from a favorite costume and some train themed fabric I bought years ago. (He still loves trains and volunteers at 3 museums maintaining their trains). I used his old blanket cut down to size for the batting.

Adding the fusible web to keep the t-shirts from stretching was time consuming, but it went together smoothly. The backing was more difficult since I was working without a pattern and had to figure out out big to cut out the border pieces. I made a few mistakes, but that allowed for extra creativity! But I kept my friends mantra in mind: If you can't see the mistake while galloping by on a horse, just leave it. So, giddy up horsey! Gallop faster....faster!! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Gwendolyn Kok, (gwendolyn #4252) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge.

"Although I am applying as a beginner, I feel perhaps this may be more of an intermediate or expert level badge, spending more than 20 hours. I will let the "hen" judge my efforts.

There is a family that is striving to live within their means of what they produce off their land...and I am very blessed to have them as friends. Moving to my area several years ago, a neighbor mentioned they should meet me...I was a "naturalist". A friendship blossomed. We have spent the past several years bartering raw milk for veggies, trading heirloom seeds we saved, helping each other at harvests, sharing fermentation recipes and homeschooling ideas, and so much more. This past weekend I was honored to be able to learn to do their chores 6 times a day so they could get away...the first time since they moved here. The bulls, sheep, llama, rams, chicks, ducks, cats, dogs, heifers, cows, and baby calves all had specific needs regarding watering/feeding at certain times of the day. I learned you can't feed baby chicks oats until they are bigger b/c they will choke - so instead they get millet...the sheep and rams need to be sprayed down so as not to overheat, Lola the llama is just Lola,and she gets a little ornary with the heat. The cows even get to have time in the sprinkler. The baby calves were probably the easiest, though requiring more attention each day for their frequent feedings. All the cows are jerseys and are tamed to just stand near the front porch without any fussing while you hand-milked them. Though it took me a while, Annie and Esther were patient as ever could be.

From learning to turn off electrical fencing, and finding that rams don't like water in the face so spray them if they try to "ram" you... to hunting for hidden eggs in the weeds...or rolling under the fence if charged by the bull.... to learning about all the unknown muscles we have in our hands after milking by hand...... I would do it all again if the family ever needed an extra hand...now that I "know the ropes". :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a charm bracelet out of buttons.

It turned out ok."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Julia Riach, (#4210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I took a quilting class and learned to make a quilt.

It turned out pretty good. My son loves it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  1:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"This last year I have worked on eliminating (for the most part) hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners - I have also worked on decreasing white flour and sugar. Have done some sprouts too. I really enjoyed reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - gave me some things to really think about.

I have enjoyed this journey to good health."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  2:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Pamela Lobaugh, (Sugar Girl #4235) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I have looked into the different forms of energy. I had a cabin off the grid a few years back and had I installed a solar panel set up so I had light at night. I currently have a wind turbine just waiting for me to figure out how best to install it by myself.

Renew-ables are still a long way off from being an affordable, reliable alternative to out more tired and true energy sores unfortunately."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  2:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Pamela Lobaugh, (Sugar Girl #4235) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"I have read Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style several times. I am dyslexic and one of the ways it affects me is with punctuation. It has never computed with me. I had a great writing mentor that took me under her wing and has red penciled my short and long stories.

I still have a hard time with spelling and punctuation but my story telling makes up for it, according to my author friend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I've been on a "Going Green" journey! Since applying for the beginner badge in 2010, our home and lifestyle continue to improve and be greener and better! Since January, I've been making my own laundry detergent, and will never go back! We use homemade soap, homemade cleaners, and our home has and continues to keep finding more ways to go green or chemical free. I even blogged about it in January on the Suburban Farmgirl Blog (under the title, "Look at Me, I'm Chemical Free". We also got rid of all plastic in the house.

We love it. Our skin feels better from using all-natural products, we are NEVER sick and I am saving money by being green, and doing much of what my grandparents did. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. I am constantly finding ways to be green and not use chemicals, plastics, and to recycle in all aspects of my life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"I'm really proud about just how green my family has gone. We've changed all the lightbulbs in the house, don't buy plastic bags or wraps, make our own cleaners including a polish for my wood floors (vinegar and oil, and even bug repellent. If we don't make our product, we buy only green, organic or natural ones (even my mascara is organic)! I make our deodorant, and in the garden we do not use chemical fertilizers or pest control. We use nothing toxic. I now air dry our clothes on a drying rack or outside as much as possible. In April, I visited my dad and now they are doing more and more green things, including making their own laundry detergent, something my dad loves but did not believe would work. Now they've shared it with others, too! Last week, I hosted my Sisterhood chapter, and we all swapped "green" recipes for homemade products.

We live so much better and simpler. I have discovered so many smart uses for re-using things, such as jars, or re-purposing items. It's actually more convenient to make my own cleaners, because I don't have to run out and buy more if I run out of glass cleaner, for example. I've always got items like vinegar, salt, and the like on hand. My house and laundry are fresher, I am saving money, and I am re-using things the "old" Nicole would have not thought to do. I love the creative aspect of going green, as well. I'm proud of how I've influenced others, and especially proud of how I am raising my daughter!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"Well, I figure now that I have some time to slow down and apply for my badges, it's about time I apply for this one! I was wanting to do a blog for some time, and in 2010, my dream came true! The beginner requirement for this badge is to "pick something you are passionate about". Well, I am most passionate about all things Farmgirl!

My blogging dream came true, and in November 2010, I became MaryJane's Suburban Farmgirl!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge.

"Starting in November 2010, I've been the Suburban Farmgirl Blogger for MaryJanes Farm, writing "Suburban Sentiments". It's such a blessing. I have always loved writing and excelled at it in school. I've long dreamed of writing a column publicly. To be blogging for MaryJanes Farm is the greatest honor! I am in such great company with the other amazing Farmgirl bloggers. My first post appeared around Thanksgiving, 2010, and I was given such a warm welcome. It truly warms my heart and means so very, very much to me.

It's amazing. I'll say it again, I just love doing the blog so and feel I have grown from writing it, as well. I'm so proud of what I have accomplished!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Blogging badge.

"Since November 2010, I have been writing "Suburban Sentiments" as MaryJane's Suburban Farmgirl at sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org.
It's an amazing journey and I love writing it! I'm proud of my photos and of my writing, and I continue to try to challenge myself each time. I've learned so much and am so thrilled to be the Suburban Farmgirl. This week, I think I just wrote my 44th post (with pictures)!
I love reading the comments, and always answer each one. It warms my heart that I've inspired others, when so many lovely Farmgirls have inspired me. I leave comments on other blogs, too, knowing how it makes me feel when others enjoy what I write and leave me a comment.

Writing the Suburban Farmgirl blog is a blessing, and a dream come true. I'm so happy. I meet so many wonderful people all over because of it. It's something I am so very, very proud of and I love to do."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"My daughter and I have always and continue to love birds and bird-watching. I purchased the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to Birds, Eastern Region. We keep it in the kitchen for quick reference. Since my daughter was a wee tot, she has memorized that book! We love seeing a bird we have never seen before and are thrilled when we can identify it.

It has continued to be a great hobby for us, something we share, and have in common with my brother down in Texas. We were thrilled in April when right near our home we were treated to the rare sight of a "Snowy Owl", a bird on our wish list we never thought we would ever see."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Birds badge.

"I recently read that the best way to increase birds in your yard is with a birdbath. I made one by re-purposing a large clay pot, upside down as a stand, and placing a larger clay dish on top. I put rocks in it as a perch, using the instructions in MaryJane's Tip of the Week from last August. I also finally made a bird feeder using that same tip of the week. I purchased copper tubing and a copper cap, and super-glued a cappuccino cup and saucer to it that I don't use for drinking.

It turned out great! The birdfeeder is super-cute and the smaller birds are not competing for seed at the bigger feeder like they were before.

Since adding the birdbath, in just a matter of days I've seen more birds, including a blue jay who loves to bathe it it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  11:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Birds badge.

"This Spring and Summer, we've been really watching our birds. My daughter was given a nice set of bird watching binoculars, and we have been identifying many species: house wren, bluebird, red-tailed hawk, blue jay, cardinal, cowbird, sparrow, house finch, chickadee, downy woodpecker, red-headed woodpecker, robin redbreast, tufted titmouse, goldfinch, dove, and several species of owls! We have even been learning the sounds each bird makes.

Adding feeders and birdbaths, and cleaning up our birdhouses, and leaving out nesting material such as yarn has been a fun, rewarding experience. Not only have we seen lots of birds, but we are observing a mother robin redbreast and her nest of eggs (now hatchlings) in the bushes right below our deck. So sweet!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook framed art piece of our dog's first dog show.

I put the ribbons on each side and pictures in the middle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  12:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I put first aid kits in the car, kitchen, and garage, and fire extinguishers in kitchen.

It made me check all areas to keep safe."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  12:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put sewing things in a basket; thread, some buttons, scissors, needles, pins, and safety pins.

It is now easier to find everything."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page