Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Beth Kresge, (bkresge #4091) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I sewed a reusable fabric bag and brought it to one of our Farmgirl meetings. We all exchanged bags and came home with a new one to add to our stash!

It was great! Everyone's bag had a story. I enjoyed sewing the bag together that I exchanged, and I have been using the bag I got at the exchange to organize some of my kids' toys."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Beth Kresge, (bkresge #4091) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I spent about four hours sewing together a half apron.

It turned out great! I have never sewn my own apron before, and I've only just started really wearing the other apron that I have. I especially like the fabric I picked and look forward to wearing it more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Beth Kresge, (bkresge #4091) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned how to knit by watching a tutorial online that was recorded by one of the Sisters in my group. I knitted several plain dishcloths (at 2+ hours each) before learning how to knit "Grandmother's Favorite" dishcloth, and then I showed my grandmother how to do "Grandmother's Favorite."

It turned out great! I made a pair of dishcloths for my mother and a pair for my grandmother, and gifted two away tucked inside another gift.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"The difference between a rock and a mineral is a chemical structure difference. A mineral has one and only one structure while a rock is a combination of minerals. This is a definition I teach regularly in my Earth Science classes. For the different types of rocks I'm adding a handout I use of the rock cycle. It's really interesting to see the idea that the surface of the Earth is constantly remodeling.

I almost feel guilty applying for this badge since this is such an integral part of my life, but that's the point of being a Farm Girl, make your life one with the natural world. (Sorry my handout is a word doc and won't upload, but if anyone is interested I can email it to you).
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"I teach Earth Science at the local community college, so this badge was just plain fun. For the display and sharing, I took my collection of rocks from around the State and World to the Fifth graders during the time they were studying rocks. I loved sharing with them.

The kids were so excited about the presentation. I as the school to gather questions from the kids before I came. One of the questions was "What would a rock say if it could talk?" I used that at the end of my talk relating the idea that as a "geologist" I help the rocks speak. While demoing this I carried a split geod with the crystals hidden inside. My last words to the kids were, "If this rock could talk it would say 'I've got a secret'" and as I said this I openned the geod for the kids to see the crystal formations. LOVED THE REACTION."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  2:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"Not only did I practice my rockhounding, I created a project from the local rock take. I used many of the rocks to create a border around one of my trees to form a shade bed.
I've included pics from some of my SPECIAL rocks including a Puddin stone (white quartz background/matrix with red jasper inclusions, a piece of petrified wood, and a piece of volcanic breccia from my onr of my trips to Kenya. It is right off of Mt. Kenya which is an inactive volcano.

The shade garden is sprouting and I look forward to seeing the full bed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Emma Salazar, (Farmerette of Norma Hart #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Emma and I worked on the Cupcake Pinkeeper together. I handling the hot gun and helping to steady the fabric as she tacked the fabrics together and stuffing.
Then on her own, she collected all the items on the list and keeps them in a towel envelope sewing bag I had gifted to her when I began mentoring her on embroidery.

The project came out very well, and I am excited to see her ability to complete tasks, as she is only seven years old."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I have picked woodpeckers for a bird to study and watch.

We see a few on our 6 acres. I've been watching and researching birds with a few of the kids. We even listen to bird sounds on the internet to help identify."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Birds badge.

"We have 2 bird houses for birds, but the woodpeckers have built their own house in a dead branch of a tree.

I've been watching them since last fall. They have new babies this year, and I found it easier to take a photo early in the morning."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have just gotten my sixth reusable bag. I bought it a Walmart last night. I picked up two others at a yard sale last Saturday morning also. I have been using the three I had previously for quite a while now and will continue to very time I go to the store.

Using the reusable bags makes it easier becasue I do not have to store or throw away plastic bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read Lynn Coulter's book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" and plan to take it to a plant sale this weekend as a reference when I buy plant starts. But a few months back, I bought a some tomato, pepper and basil seeds and planted them by a sunny window. The biggest problem has been how to keep the cat out of them! As you can see the solution has been to put the plants in an empty hamster cage wrapped with plastic wrap. If that hadn't worked, then I was going to wrap the cat in plastic wrap and put him in the hamster cage! :)

Since I've never grown a thing indoors from seed, to have a bunch of living plants borders on miraculous. However, I don't think gave enough attention to fertilizer as they're looking a little leggy. But I'm going to a plant sale this weekend that sells heirlooms and I'll buy some extra."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I handstitched a hedgehog pin cushion from lavender felt, to replace the ubiquitous tomato pin cushion that I've always had.
But then I made a little tiny sewing kit for my son to take to college with him. It has all the basics including 3 needles already threaded for him with 3 different colors of thread. The pin cushion is made from a 7-Up bottle lid and it's glued to the underside of the container's cap. I got the idea from looking up ring-sized pincushions on the web. On the outside label of the container is a website that has a good video on how to sew on a button.

I think both projects turned out pretty well. I like how the pins in the hedgehog look like its quills. And I think my son will appreciate the creativity in the sewing kit as the container and its pin cushion are in his college's colors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:55:43 AM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"My family and I go camping every summer. So we have a first aid kit for camping, one in the house and my husband has one in the garage. I am also a Girl Scout Leader, so I also have one I take to all my meetings. This past month I had my troop do their First Aid Badge, they each made their own first aid kits. We have fire extinguishers in our camper, garage and house. We do check our smoke detectors yearly.

One summer a little boy fell while riding his bike, his parents did not have a first aid kit. So I got mine and cleaned the boys scrape and put on a band aid. The first aid kits have come in very handy. Totally agree that everyone should have them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:57:22 AM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level First Aid badge.

"My job is a Learning Support Teachers Aide, I have to have my First Aid, CPR. every year.

I have many friends who are Farmgirl sisters, we all have our First Aid requirements."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:58:16 AM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level First Aid badge.

"As my job requires, I have to be re-certified every year.

I have always passed the test."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Anita Kammerdiener, (#4035) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I went to a gun safty course, because I wanted to go hunting with my husband.

I passed the test, and have enjoyed hunting. I have even shot some squirrels. Don't like the taste, but my husband does."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a star table runner. My hubby rescued a table from the neighbors that had a candle burn on the top. Table runner to the rescue. I was looking through "Flower Power Patchwork" and saw the star table runner. Perfect. I can do stars.
I used all scraps to make the stars. (Never throw away little bits of fabric.) I used some leftover fuzzy fleece for batting. It took me 3 hours just to cut the square to start with! Now I know why I have never done quilting. Definitely don't have the patience to do it all the time.

It didn't turn out too bad. Not all of the seams match up. It took me a couple of stars to get the concept right, but after that it was full steam ahead. Covers that burn spot perfectly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey, (MissLiss #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I started with a very basic doll quilt for my youngest girl who is very into her baby doll right now.

I just happened to have scraps in a rainbow of colors from other projects. So I decided to do a very simple stripe pattern to show off the colors. I have made simple clothing before, following a pattern, but this was my first time doing anything like a quilt and with no pattern. It was also my first time with a rotary cutter and that was interesting! I measured and cut all the pieces, figured out where they should go and pieced them together. I added a fill and a backing and began what I thought would be a grid pattern of quilting, but my daughter just couldn't wait! I made her wait so I could at least finish the horizontal lines, then she ran off with it. I think it was a hit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started my gratitude journal in the same notebook I use to organize all of my Farmgirl work. I purchased "The Book of Awesome" on-line.

The use of the journal was a life saver. I was struggling with a lot of the deep valleys, but making a point to find a gratitude every day made all the difference. Rather than dwell on all the problems, I spent time focused on the blessings. And by the way, I enjoyed the book so much I couldn't stop reading. I finished it in just two nights."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I love working in my garden. Looked into a number of the possible organic pest controls. Read the book "Montrose: Life in a garden". Most of my memories of gardening with my grandma included pesticides and fertilizer from a bag.

One of my favorite things from this badge was learning an organic method for keeping deer away. I live in the woods of northern Michigan and they're everywhere.
Just the day before I read the idea of Tabasco sauce, egg, water and dish soap sprayed on the plants, the deer cleared my tulips and new lilac bushes. I was so upset, but after using the mix they haven't been back.
The picture is of the raised beds I use because of the generally poor soil. And yes I'm working on all of it :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:05:32 AM  Show Profile
Sue Sensenbaugh-Padgett, (Suellen5 #3992) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I had already been TRYING to compost but unsuccessfully.

It is really going now. After reading both "The Earth Moved" and "Worms Eat My Garbage" I learn a lot of pieces that help. The first idea was the use of worms. I added worms directly to my out-door compost heap. It's doing amazingly well. My soil was deeply used and abused. There weren't even 'bugs' to work the compost, so adding worms made an immediate change."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Benini, (Neeneeb #4127) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"Since discovering 2 years ago that my son, now 10, has a number of food allergies, I have stopped buying processed snack foods. Since he is gluten intolerant and allergic to rice and corn, I really had no choice. Now instead of packaged crackers and cookies I make our own from almond and coconut flours. Frequently he can be found acting as sous chef!

Almond flour baked goods are our favorites. We use honey as our sweetener of choice. Store bought doesn't even taste like food anymore! It is taking us a while to complete switch over to unprocessed foods, but we eat very few these days and my hope is that we will stop completely soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I had my young cultivator over to help make the spice mixes. She was able to do taste testing of the spices.

I gave one of the mixes so far and it was enjoyed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"Oh the apple pie filling is so yummy. It was gifted to each of my quilting group members. I did can tomatoes which I enjoy all year, but am out of now, just in time for fresh ones. I also made sauerkraut for the first time.

CAN, CAN, Can !! love it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Music badge.

"My young cultivator and I worked on this badge together. We listened to several musical pieces together identifying rhythm, melody, and harmony.

We had fun together also identifying different instruments."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page