Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have ten reusable shopping bags, and I have talked with my fiance about using them when we go shopping. Five of them have found a home in the back of his Subaru (that way he can't forget them!) and I keep the rest here with me for when I need to run to town.

I feel good about it, and I've got two Young Cultivators who will be "taking responsibility" for remembering to take the bags when we go shopping."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"After explaining the requirement for this badge to my Mom, she brought me a sandwich bag full to the top with different buttons! Way more than 50 :)

I have a few projects in mind - namely, a button bracelet!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I gathered together a collection of all different color thread, straight pins & a pincushion, three sizes of safety pins, buttons, scissors and sewing needles.

I'm looking forward to adding to my collection & learning some more sewing skills."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Norma Hart, (njhart #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"The Pin Keeper:
Taking a muslin bag and filling with sand, I then covered the bag with a scrap of fabric hand stitching it tightly over the bag. Placing all into an old tin mold I hand stitched four fan pleated scraps at 12,3,6,&9. Then hand stitching a trim lace to fabric around the tin.

Beginner's sewing Kit:
Taking two scrap fabrics & batting, I made a 6" x 12" sleeve. Turning rightside out, I then stitched into three sections making it a tri-fold pouch. Adding all the needles, pins, buttons etc. I the added ribbon to tie it closed. Outside I hand stitched on another scrape of muslin, the word "SEWING" and hand stitched it to the fornt. with the ribbon I tied it closed.

I am pleased with how it came out; both projects. It was fun using the scraps from another in progress merit badge project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Deborah Cornett, (DeborahLynn #3980) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I decided to put together all my family's favorite recipes in a central location so I could easily use them to do my weekly meal planning. I found a blog post about making a recipe book out of 3 x 5 cards. I even scrapbooked the front of it with some leftover ribbon and paper. It has made it so much easier to find all of our favorite recipes!

I also asked my Mom to write down all of our favorite recipes from my childhood. I had such a great time looking at them. I had forgotten about my Mom making taco shells from scratch! We even used to make corned beef and potatoes! I also love the fact that they are in her handwriting.

I am thinking about making a scrapbook of the recipes my Mom wrote down for me so I can keep them safe and pass them on to my two sons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Corley, (Valkyrie922 #4069) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I read several articles on the topic of Green or All Natural Cleaning. Tomorrow I am going shopping, and I have made the following list:

Baking Soda
Washing Soda
Borax
(Soap)
Citrus Solvent
Lemons
Salt
White Vinegar
Cornstarch
Isopropyl Alcohol

I am pretty excited about greening up my cleaning routine, and I know that I will be able to save money by cleaning this way as well. I've found lots of great formulas - and I'm also excited about adding to my collection of natural oils!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Tosha West, (ToshaWest #3966) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been doing loads of research for different recipes for cleaning my home "green."
I have found some that work for me and some that don't the ones that do not I use things like seventh generation until I find recipes that work for my family and I.
I have used the last of my "none green" products!
Our local chapter has also made bar soap together.

I hope to find more recipes for going green. Who knows maybe I will start a going green recipe book :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Sallyann Dyer-Congdon, (Adirondack_Roots #2973) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I finally completed the book I have been writing on one line of my family, the Sassevilles. It was never meant to be a book, just research, but it took on a life of its own. Now to work on the rest of my lines!

I have made copies for my local genealoical societies and for all the people who have helped me research along the way. I got many compliments on it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I was needing something that could either be an indoor or outdoor activity for my children. So, I chose to make the bean bags! I made 6, and helped them to learn to take turns in tossing 3 bags at a time into a basket. However many bean-bags got into a basket earned you one point.

They LOVED it! It was an instant hit! What I loved about it was it was something we could do inside on a rainy day, or outside with the nice weather!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"I've made several dolls in the past, but of course, never had time to make one for one of my children. My daughter wanted one so bad, so I made her one with a complete wardrobe for Christmas.

The doll was precious and my sweet little girl was ecstatic! She totes her around, sleeps with her, everything. It warms my heart that my baby girl has such an appreciation for handmades AND loves her new friend ;D"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I am in LOVE with buttons! I have an extensive button collection that began with a quart sized jar of buttons I received from an antique store.

Since I began collecting last year, my collection has grown - I love all of the different styles, colors, etc. I've got mason jars full of buttons from antique shops, estate sales, some from our own laundry, etc. I love them so much! Simple, I know, but one thing that I find to be so beautiful is a simple jar full of buttons on a shelf, waiting for new life :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  12:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Angela Flinchbaugh, (Angie Lynn #4067) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I actually was working at the gun shows in our area for the last 2 years, which you have to know the laws for. I also have been a hunter for the last 11 yrs and love to go skeet shooting during the summer in my spare time for the last 3 yrs. I also enrolled in my hunter/trapper safety course and have also completed it.

It turned out very well, and this has become part of my daily life now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Angela Flinchbaugh, (Angie Lynn #4067) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I went to hunter safety course, half of the day was spent in a classroom setting and the other part was spent outside learning hands on, familiarizing ourselves with our guns and shooting them. We them came back into the classroom and took a test, which if I remember right, I only had one question wrong. I actually have put in over 20 hours by hunting every year and also shooting skeets at the range every Sunday.

I feel that things went very well. I passed my safety course and really enjoy hunting and range shooting. It has actually become a very big part of my life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  12:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Angela Flinchbaugh, (Angie Lynn #4067) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I earned this merit badge by going hunting and taking my sister-in-law along to teach her to hunt. by doing that I also was teaching her about observing the rules and guidelines. Unfortunately we walked out of the woods without dinner this time.

It went well except my sister in law did not continue to hunt after that but she does go out to shoot at targets so in teaching her I bettered my own skills and knowledge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Make-do badge.

"This tote bag is made from recycled curtains that were white with a blue band. They reminded me of the bag I had bought from Michaels so I decided to make a tote using that bag as a pattern.

I spent way over 100 hours on this because I took out as much as I sewed. I tried using a doubling of the cloth as a batting, but the tote wouldn't stand up that way. So I checked with the Farmgirls and got some leftover batting from a quilting project from one of them.

Likewise with some interfacing which I had to piece together to make it fit. I used chalk to draw lines on it for quilting and then couldn't get the chalk off. It took many washings with different soaps to get it clean.

I also found that since the fabric was a knit type, it kept pulling out of shape when I sewed it. But since I'm going to cover it with MaryJane badges, that won't matter.

I'm really pleased with how this turned out, but my advice to others is, buy one, don't try to make one. That would be a whole lot easier."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"My friend and our families every summer went to a local kid's amusement park. Now our children are older and have outgrown that activity. I went back and gathered pictures from over the years. I scrapbooked an album for her at Christmas.

She loved it. It was fun looking back at all the great memories. I scrapbooked each ride in its theme, for example with the stage coach ride I did a wild west theme, etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I volunteer for Girl Scouts. I have for 14 years. I started when my daughter was in kindergarten and now she is in college. I started because she was extremely shy and Girl Scout promotes leadership qualities and girl involvement at all ages. My troop meets twice a month for 2 hours each meeting. This past weekend we met with a police officer and he gave us a self defense class and next day we hosted a dinner party for their parents. My troop cooked a spaghetti and meatball dinner. The girls did the cooking from scratch. This weekend alone I volunteered for 6 hours.

It is a very rewarding experience. I believe it helped my daughter with her shyness (my original goal) and I have gained a lot of friends and life experiences."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I have volunteered for Girl Scouts. According to my troop schedule I have worked with my troop a total of 128 hours. My troop has spent 2 weekends volunteering as wranglers at a horse ranch. The hours add up pretty quick. We feed, brush, help younger kids with the horses.

I have watched these young ladies grow from busy giggling girls to young adults that are happy to contribute to their community. I hope I have been a positive influence in their lives. I know they have influenced mine."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge.

"I volunteer for Girls Scouts, I have a troop I work with monthly. I am also the camp director for Trefoil Trails day camp. Every summer we meet the last full week in July. I am in charge of all the programming, food, ordering supplies, safety, volunteers, transportation and training staff. Day camp alone is 10 hours every day, that does not include prep and training.

Every year, the feed back is very positive. The campers all seem to have a great time. We teach the campers back to basics camp skills, pitching tents and cooking over a camp fire. The program is built around a different theme and skills each year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I sat down with both of my parents last summer and asked a bunch of questions. I went and visited the cemeteries and retrieved information from the tombstones. My family has been in the same area for generations. I started collecting and putting down their memories along with some of mine.

I am so glad I did this. My father passed last fall. It was nice to have shared all that with him. I also made a scrapbook with his family's old pictures and his memories. I think it helped with my grieving process."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I took the information I gathered from parents and cemeteries and started checking the genealogy sites on the internet. I also talked to a cousin that has done a lot of family research.

It has been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot of my family history. I have already traced back to when a lot of my forefathers and mothers came to the U.S."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"I visited a living history with my children in Dillsburg, PA. www.dillstavern.org On the north side of town they have a public house/ residence that is open and has demonstrations.

I love Early American history, the time and effort that it always takes to do things. But, understanding how they were done, and how far we have come, puts a fresh perspective on how to make things better, and to look forward to our future. The building seems much changed in the time that it has been around. Porches have come and gone, gardens have moved and a town has popped up around it, and Harrisburg, an entire city has formed to the north. My favorite thing about any 18th century home is the size of the kitchen fireplace. It is so large and just makes me feel very lucky for having a stove. My dear husband did not feel so at home, because he had to bend down about 8” to get through the upstairs doorways. Another amazing thing about the organization that runs the house, is the new building they are putting up on the property. The detail on it is amazing and the beams look so strong and powerful, I cannot wait until the structure is finished."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I researched on the extension office website for Penn State and found a wondrous amount of information. In my area we are quite fond of apples, and there are so many abandoned apple trees. I found that in the fall you must be very careful of what you find, only eat things off of the bush or tree, not from the ground. Also, wild berry bushes I have discovered behind my neighbor’s home, they are black raspberries and now are getting ready to produce for this early summer season.

I cannot wait to try out my jam recipes on the wild raspberries. If they last that long, simply a tall glass of milk and a pint of berries and I have the most wonderful thing in the world to eat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"My daughter was the one who brought this badge on, saying how much she wanted a watermelon plant at our local organic store. For 99 cents for two I had to pick them up. We planted them next to our shed and waited for them to grow. I was doing terrible amounts of weeding when another person at my daughter’s swim class told me to use my grass clippings. I was surprised at how well it worked. I was finally able to read “Montrose: Life in a Garden” and found it to be so very descriptive. A so very detailed narrative of the seasons of the garden. The drawings inside were so pleasing, I found myself spending much time just observing them.

My garden for the 2012 season is going wonderfully, much better than the 2011 season. Montrose has even inspired me to do a few flower sketches of my own."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Music badge.

"I must mention my favorite composer for this merit badge, Tchaikovsky. Most famous during the holiday season for the ballet the Nutcracker. His form with the notes is so very fluid, When he wants the fairies to dance, you can see them dance through the music, even if you have never seen the ballet. You can feel the ballerinas dance through the air as though they are weightless. Now to compare, I would love to introduce a very living composer, a dear friend of my brother-in-law, Christian Kriegeskotte. His music is so mysterious, but cerebral at the same time. When his music is played, you can feel yourself being transformed and placed into this world, where it could be dark, it could be light and you never know what is around the next bend.

I loved the idea of comparing composers and hope to add to Christian’s following with the Mary Jane Farmgirl Connection. Here is the link to my post http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57821 "
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page