Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"In a fanny pack that I had around the house, I put in waterproof matches, a promotional mirror that someone gave me, a whistle that happens to be a flashlight too, and a Cocoa Cassava energy bar. I also included a black garbage bag which can be a rain poncho, a space blanket, some band-aids and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a nylon cord and a Swiss Army knife that includes a bunch of things.

I also attended a class on native plants that our Master Gardener group had as one of our Lunch and Learn series. This is what I learned from that:

Native Plants and their uses

1. Poison Ivy – poison! Leaflets three, leave them be. Always!
2. Poison Oak – same as above, do not handle in any way
3. Poison Sumac – again poison, do not inhale smoke of any of these
4. Chamomile - used as food, prepared as a tea
5. Stinging Nettle – used as food, prepared as a tea
6. Chickweed – used as food, eat it in a salad
7. Burdock – used as medicine externally on wounds and ulcers
8. Elderberry – used as food, made into wine and jams
9. Calendula – used as medicine, made into a salve to be used externally for wounds, bleeding, bruising, strains, burns/scalds or slow healing wounds. Can be used internally for gastric ulcers, gallbladder, indigestion, delayed menstruation and painful periods.
10. Plantain – used as medicine for bee or other insect stings by mixing it with saliva and putting it on the sting when you are outdoors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Nellie Make-do badge.

"This badge was achieved by making pillow case dresses for the Dress A Girl Around The World Foundation. Including hunting around and digging through the Spa and my house for pillow cases, digging through my craft room for old ribbon, buttons, seam binding, etc. and gathering vintage things from other people's projects and houses, deciding on what should go on which dress and actually sewing them up, this took me around 50 hours to do.

This picture shows one example using an old pillow case from the Spa where I work, with seam binding and old lace from my stash, and buttons from my extensive collection, which includes buttons from both grandmothers and my mother. Even the elastic is cut down from a larger piece I had used for some former project. The pockets are what was cut out for the arm holes with lace covering the tops. In all, I made 12 of these dresses."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Get 'er Done badge.

"Our Georgia Farmgirls Chapter decided to choose the Dress A Girl Around the World Foundation as our "Get 'Er Done" project. This project involves making dresses from pillow cases or T-shirts with fabric added to the bottom.

These dresses will then go to little girls around the world for whom this may be the only dress they ever have. It involves areas in the United States too.

Here are 12 of the dresses that I made from pillow cases and material that had been donated to the Farmgirls by various people and places. This was a great way for me to use up left-over seam binding, lace, buttons and other odds and ends that had been lying around my house for years. Plus they will make some little girls around the world very happy. These took way over 12 hours to make, actually over 50 hours all together."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected 6 reusable bags for shopping. I purchased 4 from Cracker Barrel and 2 from Jo-Ann’s Crafts. Committing to using the bags was difficult. Not because I didn’t want to use them but because I would forget them. In the beginning I would forget them at home. So, I put them in the car. Then we would get to the door to leave the store and I would announce to everyone “WE forgot the bags again!!”
In our town of Midland, TX there is a proposed ordinance to “do away with” plastic bags. Our landscape is a beautiful desert, but to a passerby one would think “This is a dirty place!!” We have mesquite trees and cactus everywhere and you can only imagine what it looks like here.
Back to my not remembering the bags, one night at our Farmgirl meeting of the “Hippie Chicks” we were discussing how we could make ourselves remember these bags! One sister said that her sister-in-law will “punish herself” by purchasing a new bag every time she forgot hers. I don’t have the desire to go broke trying to shop green! So, I decided that if I forget the bags, then all items get carried out either in my arms or the shopping cart. I do believe that after standing in the cold loading our groceries in the reusable bags at the car has made me begin to remember them!

Today, I use them every time!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have researched ways to clean my home without the aid of toxic cleaners.
The products I have committed to using are:
• Murphy’s Oil Soap
• Essential Oils
• Vinegar and Water
• Seventh Generation dish soap
• Mrs. Meyers room freshener, counter spray, tub cleaner

I have found that by using non-toxic cleaners my home smells nicer. I didn’t think it would be possible! I enjoy knowing that the cleaners I am using are not hurting my family or the environment."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I use a "word of the day" website. My new word comes to my email everyday.

I use it everyday! It's great to expand our vocabulary."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I have checked my fluids every week. Making sure to check the oil in the morning, before the mini-van is started. I have learned to check the transmission fluid while the vehicle is running. I have discovered that I drive a lot! Since January 2012, I have driven 4000 miles. Which means it is time for an oil change!! My vehicle gets approximately 18 miles to the gallon. It costs approximately $68.00 to fill up the tank.

It is great to know what is going on under the hood of my vehicle. I am no longer helpless in that area!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"In January of 2012, I visited my parents in Arkansas. While there I asked my father if he would help me earn this badge. He thought it was funny that I wanted him to teach me how to do an oil change, when I could take my mini-van to the quick lube and pay about the same price to have it done for me. I explained to him the importance of me knowing how to do it.
I have always had a curiosity as to what went on under the hood. Well, maybe in the spring, summer and fall time of the year. My dad was never a fan of having his daughter under foot while he was doing car maintenance, cutting the grass or any kind of “man work”. So, this was a big step in our relationship! A funny step to be honest!
The time came for our lesson. Mama, of course, told me to put on a pair of insulated coveralls. She didn’t want her “baby” to be cold. (I am 37.) I was grateful none the less! Dad instructed me to pull the mini-van up on the jack stands. (I guess he forgot I was never given the opportunity to do this kind of thing, I was very nervous I would drive off the other side of them!) I did it though! He already laid out an old tarp so we wouldn’t get anything on the ground. I was glad he did this as I wasn’t really digging the idea of rolling in the dirt. As we crawled under the vehicle, I prayed that this would be a good experience. It was a super tight fit under there. I had to lay there for a few minutes to get acquainted with my new space. Dad showed me what everything under there was. And then decided he would crawl back out from under the vehicle to get the tools. My daddy is 72 years old and after 5 trips up and down from under the mini-van, I told him, I think the first step should be to get all the tools together before you begin! He agreed with a laugh. I reminded him that our time together under there would be FUN and filled with laughter. He agreed again. After a while of him struggling to loosen the oil filter, he finally let me use the wrench. He was very discouraged to see that we drained less than 2 quarts out of the mini-van. He asked if I checked the oil before I left for my 600 mile trip to his house. “Well, of course I did Daddy. It was to that line, kind of, I think?”
We filled the oil back up with the proper amount. Which was found in the maintenance book. I took a picture of it with my cell phone, so I would have it for quick reference next time. We also put together a bucket of fluids that remains in the trunk area at all times.

It turned out wonderful! I now know how to change the oil in the mini-van. Plus I got to spend some quality time with my Daddy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I have learned to fill up the transmission fluid, washer fluid and radiator. I then changed my head lights and cleaned out the mini-van.
While I was working on my Intermediate Level Grease Chicks badge, Daddy also taught me how to check the air in my tires and how to properly air them. Also, how to change a tire. That was exciting! I have never understood what went on with an air gauge.

I am now aware that you put more than a key and gas in a vehicle to make it from point A to point B. Vehicle Maintenance is very important. When we make a big investment in a vehicle we need to take care of it!

I have attached a picture of my Daddy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"At one of our first Hippie Chick Chapter meetings I helped my sisters make tea cup pin cushions and provided them with old cigar boxes for a sewing kit.

We had a great time! Everyone uses their sewing kits!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile
Amy Farmer, (Amy D #3695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have been sewing for years. So this was an easy badge!

I'm still fine tuning my hand stitching. But with practice all things get great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Miss kitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I went through my entire collection of cleaning supplies and purged everything that was not 100 percent green. I made myself a "green cleaning kit" that consists of nothing more than baking soda, Bon Ami, distiller white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and some essential oils. These ingredients seem to take care of most every cleaning job I need to tackle.
I began this whole process by keeping a journal of green living ideas and the journal has since expanded into ideas for all areas of my life... I love it!
My family's mission statement pledging to use only green cleaners in the future:
"Because our family believes in green living and we want to do our part to make the world we live in a better and safer place for future generations, we pledge to purge our home of all toxic chemicals and replace them with only natural, sustainable, 'green' alternatives from this day forward!"

I have really enjoyed the peace of mind that has come with knowing that my home is now chemical free."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Deena Burnham, (Deena #3313) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have about 10 reusable shopping bags that I use on a regular bases.
I have a cool bag for freezer stuff and different bags for different foods and stuff.

I have been using my own bags at my stores all over town. I have a big insulated bag that zips for freezer foods, washable light weight bags for things that might be sticky, heavy bags made of recycled plastic for the cans and stuff and a cut little bag that folds up with a draw string for taking to the craft store. In all I think I have about 10 or 15 bags, I lost track."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Deena Burnham, (Deena #3313) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I recently remodeled my house. I live in a 1968 mobile home and there is nothing that you can do wrong, other than adding a "New" thing. My daughter did replace the sink in the bathroom using new stuff, but that is a different story.
Over the Christmas holiday I took down the fax wall I had that was old closet doors and put the doors back on the closet.
This reopened the large living room and I put old bookcases back to back to make a separation and still add light for the rest of the room.
I had been keeping collectibles in hiding and I put them out on a table in front of the window so the sun can sparkle off them.
I have gotten my electric bill down under $25 for a family of 5.

I love my new room. It is "Mommie Den" where it had been the "Man Cave" for my son. I only spent $10 for the entire change over for some sheer curtains, I have old quilts for window coverings, antique table coverings and who knows how old the rest of the stuff is...daybed, lamp, book table, 1940s radio case for my collection of antique dressing table containers...
It is so nice to have a special place just for me, and it is homey by not having "New" stuff."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"None of the faucets in my house leak because I can't stand the noise of hearing them drip, never mind the amount of water they waste. Having a handyman in my house does help.

I have been conserving water for many years now, especially after the two years of extreme drought that Georgia went through awhile back.

I actually timed the length of my showers and a regular one is two minutes long. If I have to wash my hair, it is five minutes because I have to leave the conditioner in my hair for two minutes.

The amount of water used up in waiting for it to get hot is five gallons per day. During the summer, that is not an issue, except for showers, because I don't need the water to be hot. Therefore I save 28 gallons of water a week when it's warm outside like it is now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"Gray water is all water that your household uses except for toilets (which is black water) and examples of this are laundry water and sink water. This type of water can be used for watering plants and washing cars in many, but not all, areas.

Some places have ordinances against it, but attitudes are changing as water shortages show up in more and more places.

Last year when I took the Master Gardening class, they gave us the opportunity to make a rain barrel in an outside class. They provided all of the materials and had drilled all the holes, so assembling it was easy.

The cost of the materials was only $40 so it was a very good deal. I now have it on my back deck and use it to water all of my outdoor plants and for my Aerogardens indoors which require unmineralized water."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Water Conservation badge.

"We are on a well and therefore have no way to determine how much water we use each month. However, we have both been actively trying to conserve as much water as possible for the last month.

I have been capturing it in a bucket when I can and use it to made compost tea as well as the other ways listed in the beginning and intermediate badges.

Our goal is to reduce excess usage by at least 10% and we are probably doing much more than that. It has been unseasonably hot here for the last month and therefore it was much easier to conserve water."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I have researched ways to clean my home without the use of toxic cleaners.
I only use products that are eco-friendly. I make most of my cleaners.

I use a vinegar/orange peel all purpose cleaner that makes my house smell so good. It is so air friendly!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  1:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"My house is now totally organized to going green. We installed clothesline several months ago. When we purchased our home last year we removed all the carpeting and installed hardwood flooring. I have made several baskets of "green cleaning supplies" and gifted them to friends with a green cleaning recipe book.

My asthma has actually been less bothersome and I find myself having to hit my rescue inhaler much less frequently since going green."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I hosted our farmgirl sisterhood meeting on March 9, 2011. We talked about using reusable shopping bags and I demonstrated how quickly one could be made from a feed sack. Each farmgirl chose a feed sack that I had on hand and quickly made a reusable shopping bag.

It was fun and most were thrilled to have such a sturdy shopping bag."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  1:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my cupboard and examined my storage containers and lids. I took out all the ones no longer usable and took them to the local recyclable place. Then I went and purchased new ones with lids. I found some shelf paper at the local thrift store and used that to line the shelf.

It is nice to have the new containers with lids that fit. I am saving time now that I don't have to fumble around trying to find lids that fit. Also, I was happy to find the paper at the thrift store to line the shelf. I used it to line some other shelves that need it, too. I felt really well about the whole project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron using some fabric that was given to me by a friend. I have a pattern that I am using that also has full size patterns with it. The pocket has an iron on applique on it that I put together myself.

I really enjoyed making this little apron. I wear aprons a lot and am planning on using this one quite often."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Birds badge.

"This is a bird bath I made from graduated terra cotta pots and a large saucer with construction glue (in a tube). It could be painted but I chose to keep it with the terra cotta look.

Have also made several birdhouses that can be placed on posts as we don't have too many trees left after a fire several years ago.

The birds that use the bath the most are taningers, wrens, magpies, sparrows and hummingbirds.

Most of them come by later in the day and the ones that actually bathe and spend a little time are fun to watch. The bath is near to our deck so we have to, for the most part, be still and just sit and watch. The "hummers" don't stop for long, if at all, usually just whiz by. The magpies drive all the other birds off and are generally rather pesky, even though they are fun to watch.

We have a "family" of house wrens that make a nest in a nearby blue spruce and they come to the bath frequently. But we see them frequently on their other daily activities as the tree is quite close to the house.

In our area, the flickers seem to be the birds most interested in living in a birdhouse.

Watching birds is just pure pleasure and listening to them is 'icing on the cake'."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  11:19:46 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Miss kitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"To earn this badge I watched the trailer for the movie at vanishingbees.com... wow, what a wake-up call. I am planning to watch the movie as soon as I have the time. I also read and thoroughly enjoyed Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life Of Bees".

In addition to a lot of clover, marigolds, strawberries, lavender and a butterfly bush that were already planted to attract bees, this weekend I planted echinacea and salvia, and started zinnias from seed.

My flower garden looks beautiful and I am looking forward to my little pollinators coming to visit soon!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson, (Miss kitty #3760) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"To earn this merit badge, I went to my local farmers' market looking for farm fresh eggs. I figured I'd have to go to a health food store or a specialized pet store to find organic pet food, but I was thrilled when I was able to walk away from the market with fresh organic eggs, AND homemade organic pet treats!

Of course my family loves the eggs, but I have to say, I think my pets (a dog and a cat) are even more thrilled with their treats. I am more excited than anyone to be able to provide these healthy foods for my family!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page