Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I started with drying herbs all summer and putting them in bottles then labeling them for use. I made enough for half a dozen herbs for four of my relatives. Next was calendars and simple photo books. My kids and I made at least 40% of our ornaments. It kept us very busy. We also made a paper chain garland that gets a new link every time someone does something extra nice ( I stole this idea from some really smart mother and love it). I also made baskets of apple pie filling, jam, dilly beans, and salsa.

This Christmas has been so stress free with all the prep starting this summer that I also found time to make 3 crocheted scarves and homemade hot chocolate and bath salts for my daughter's preschool teachers. Not to mention I am done with Christmas presents now, unless I want to make more before next weekend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (Quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"My front door always stuck. After taking a closer look I realized the screws were loose. I got a screwdriver to tighten the screws on the hinges and now it opens easily.

My front door opens easily and I don't have to fight with it when I want to go outside. It feels good to be able to fix it on my own."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"Below is an image of the finished quilt using three new techniques: dyed silk fiber and fabrics, fused fibers into "cloth", and digital image printing onto prepared fabric.
I have invested more than 50 hours into the components of the piece, and finished it in time for Christmas as it is a gift for our daughter and her fiance.
The piece is layered with cotton batting, a lightweight stabilizer backing, then hand and machine quilted before mounting on a canvas with a gallery wrap.
In the last few months I have taught more than 5 people basic quilting to make placemats and collaged fabric vests.

I think this piece came out just terrific!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I am applying for all levels of this badge.
Beginner: Last Christmas I made 90% of all gifts that we gave. Our tree had mostly handmade ornaments and flowers I dried from the previous summer.
Intermediate: This year we have delivered two decorated trees, one to an ill friend and one to an elderly neighboring couple. Each had handmade ornaments and garlands.
Expert: Our tree this year is covered with handmade ornaments, dried flowers, tatted snowflakes, and various other items I have made. I have created all of our gifts, including 3 quilts, jams and jellies, candy, knitted shawls, scarves,and socks, aprons, placemats, scrapbooked calendars, beaded necklaces, and framed photos. I'm feeling tired just writing this!

My husband and I feel very satisfied with homespun Christmas...I love avoiding the overspending, exhausting, "commercialized" version of holidays any time of year, but particularly at Christmas time where "the reason for the season" often is lost. Our family and friends feel very special to receive handmade gifts, knowing the time and energy required is a communication of my love."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"For this badge, I planted a native azalea and a nandina bush. The latter will supply berries for the birds during the winter and the former is a magnet for bees and hummingbirds.

In January of this year, I realized a long-held goal of taking a Master Gardening class in a neighboring county. I've got the book-learning now - all I have to do is implement it for the future.

It turns out that our local library system only has access to one copy of the book "Roots Demystified" by Robert Kourik and that was in South Georgia somewhere. So I went online and ordered one for myself.

The book had great info, including growing veggies in hay bales, which I plan to try next year. Robert is in Northern California, but he kept giving the differences between that area and the East Coast, so it was beneficial."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Service badge.

"For this level of the badge, I continued as Camp Host at Kelsay Valley Horse Camp. I did this for two weeks this year, so I'm pretty sure I am way past the additional 20 hours required.

I talked to the person who originally started the program. The Camp Host program has been going about 15 years now and I have been a camp host every year since the beginning. It's a way to get free camping for a week in my favorite place to ride!

To be accepted as camphost, a person should be a member of Oregon Equestrian Trails, preferably the Roseburg Chapter as we have done all the money-raising and volunteer work at the camp. If not enough people from Roseburg volunteer, members of other Chapters can fill in.

Mr. Talburt is a retired Forest Service employee and he talked to other employees and that is how the program got started. Every year he fills out a volunteer agreement form for the Forest Service.

The impetus behind the program was to encourage camp users to clean up after themselves and to discourage vandalism after getting a new concrete vault bathroom and steel horse corrals.

One of the duties of the camp host is to let campers know of the availablity of tools and to encourage the use thereof.

Our club has built several manure bins throughout the camp and provided a wheelbarrow, manure fork, pitchfork and rake. At the end of elk season, members go up to the camp and empty out the manure bins and go through each site to clean up any garbage left behind so that the camp is ready for the next riding season.

The camp host has maps of the area available for riders. Since I ride so much up there, I am able to describe trails and conditions and suggest loops if people want to do longer rides.

This program has been wonderful. As I mentioned, the host gets free camping and it is a beautiful area to ride in. I am usually able to ride at least 100 miles by the end of the week. The first week I only rode 68 miles because there was too much snow in the mountains. However, the second week, I rode 120+ miles. It was awesome!!!!!

It has made a difference in the cleanliness of the corrals. Having steel corrals has seriously discouraged vandalism as they cannot be used for firewood.

I will use this year as my start and finish dates although I have been doing this much longer and will continue to be camp host for as many years as I am capable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Because I wrote a book ("Alive Health Recipe Book"), which I recently finished, I used the book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" as a reference source for it. I wouldn't say that the book is easy reading or fun, but it sure served me well.

I now have over 43 new words in my journal, most of which pertain to gardening, my new passion. It's been quite a journey, but I've learned a lot.

Today I finally sent off a letter to the editor on proper grammar. Living in a small town as I do, I frequently shudder at the things I read in the local papers.

Perhaps what I have written will help to encourage the reporters for the paper to watch how and what they write. Typos are all over the place (at least I'm hoping they are typos and not ignorance) and surely other readers notice this too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"In the most recent power bill was a brochure describing the various energy options available along with approximate cost differences.

After reading the information I called the power company and found out that most of the power for the basic service option comes from coal. It costs about $10 a month more to switch to other cleaner service.

PacifiCorp does have several "green" options with varying amounts of different power supply. The cost per 1000 kwh was not that much different but with a power bill of $120 dollars when I was expecting $80 I am not able to add another $10 dollars a month for the "green" options.

The option I am most interested in has over half of the power generated by wind, with smaller amounts generated by solar, biomass and other. I was surprised that PacifiCorp had an option completely independent of coal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Here is a baker's dozen of crocheted snowflakes in three different designs before they were starched and stiffened. After that, you just add ornament hangers, and on the tree they go.

These made up at least 25% of the ornaments on my tree this year (2011) and I will continue to make them for the tree next year.

Actually, all of my Christmas gifts this year were homemade. I made calendars with pictures that I took of my garden all year long. I'm also giving copies of my new book that I just finished ("Alive Health Recipe Book - Healthy Eating On The Run", now available on Amazon) to everyone. That is definitely homemade!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Civic Heritage badge.

"The first person to realize that there really was "gold in them thar hills" in the Dahlonega, GA area supposedly was a man named Benjamin Parks. This is the site of the first Gold Rush in the United States, way before California got in the picture.

At the height of the rush, the little town of Auraria, close to Dahlonega, had over 10,000 people in it. Today it is a sparsely populated area of farms and houses."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Get 'er Done badge.

"My next-door neighbor joined the Farmgirls in September, so together we are a team. She practically lived at my house throughout October helping me to finish my book, "Alive Health Recipe Book - Healthy Eating On The Run." Then in November, she helped me for three hours to promote the book at an Expo that was sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.

I went to her house later that month to help her cut out four Christmas stockings that she was making for gifts. She has arthritis in her hands and using scissors is difficult for her.

I had to go to her house in December to print out the transfers for my newest badges, because I found out that HP printers, like the one I have, get too hot and melt the transfer substance.

Then I helped her to put the names on her almost-finished stockings with iron-on transfers so that she could get them done them in time for Christmas. We have been in and out of each other's homes for three months now helping to "Get 'er Done" with projects, and each time it has been for at least two hours, and many times a whole lot more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Get 'er Done badge.

"A mutual friend of fellow Farmgirl Paula's and mine fell on some hard times and had to move into the basement of one of the residents on our road. We helped pack Dale up from the old place and move into the new place.

We then helped to get the new place set up and arranged in a way that was efficient, workable and home-like.

We spent several days doing this because the movers who had been hired did not show up on the appointed day, so we did what neighbors do: we helped out.

This involved WAY over eight hours but we were glad to help out a friend in need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I made sure to eat five fruits or vegetables everyday for a month. Although it is something I should do, I have never eaten that much fruit and vegetables in a given month.

The first week or two was really hard to get through. I felt like I wasn't eating anything else and would sometimes have to eat extra veggies before bed to make sure I got all five. By the end of the month it was easy to get all five servings in. I tried sprouting quite a few seeds and tried some new veggies. It was great and I will definitely continue counting my servings this month."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I finished reading "Secret Life of Bees" and watched the trailer. I was going to apply for this badge in the summer after planting but realized I really have planted a lot of flowers for bees already. In looking into lists of bee friendly flowers I found I already have 18 in my garden. Some planted for bees, others accidental friendlies. I do want to add cucumbers growing up a trellis next year with some vining flowers intertwined.

I really like all the bugs I find in my garden. I do have quite a few bees which my daughters find intimidating but I like to see. I also like that the plants start early with crocuses and hyacinth then supply the bees all summer, ending with four or five sedums.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"I helped my brother host a family Christmas reunion.

Our parents are divorced, however for the first time we invited my Dad to the Christmas reunion. My kids created a movie, taking clips from family videos, and made a memory video of our own family. They included clips that had other family members from years ago and we loved the movie they made. They worked all week long and up until very late hours during the night. They are already creating a "reunion" video for next Christmas."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made several bean bags, and made safe catnip pillows for the cats for safe toys also.

The bean bags were given to my husband's friend. They played corn hole with them. I also got hired by the men to repair any bean bags that had holes in them.

Over the summer I dried catnip that grows wild on our property. I sewed our cats safe catnip pillows and they loved them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"December was my first month of trying new organic foods. I ate some organic foods before but not enough. In December I tried organic pumpkin in muffins, organic tortilla chips, lentil soup, and popcorn. They were all great. The chips and popcorn really helped me avoid the more unhealthy snack options in our house.

I am already thinking about what my next organic food will be. In a few days my organic radish sprouts will be ready to eat. I have never eaten radish sprouts and can't wait for them to be ready."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I began trying some organic foods at the beginning of this year. I tried mostly produce.

It was yummy and I liked that I was eating healthier. The cost was a bit of a concern."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I continued to try new organic foods introducing nuts and some pastas.

Yum, feeling better about the cost, knowing I'm making a change for the better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"During the last 1/2 of the year we have increased the amount of organic foods to include anything I can find organic. This includes grocery store, health food store and farmer's market shopping.

I'm happy to be doing it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Our stairs have been covered with nasty old stair carpeting for many years. The amount of dirt that accumulated under them was gross. This summer I tore off the carpeting, removed all the tacks and staples and sanded the areas. Julie Sussman's book is interesting and handy to use on an as needed basis.

I'm glad it's off, the stairs are much easier to keep clean. The next step will be to repaint them and I may stencil or paint designs on the riser."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Three years ago I lost 30lbs and have gradually put 20lbs of that back on. So December was my month to start to cut back. I committed to 6 weeks of no white sugar or flour.

This was a difficult time of year to commit to this, what with all the Christmas foods. I have done well and have not had one bite! I still have 2 weeks to go till I weigh myself, but things are fitting better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I started out making a blanket but turned it into a really cool skirt.

It is beautiful and fits my daughter perfect."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:20:18 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I bought 2 goats a female and a male and my neighbor taught me how to milk my doe. Also for the heritage breeds part I raise Shetland sheep.

We love to drink our goats milk and cannot wait to start milking her again after baby comes. The sheep we feed only grass and we plan on sheering them in the spring and spin their wool."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (#3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I loved writing a gratitude journal and plan on writing one for 2012. It didn't take me long to realize that each and everyday has something to offer that I need to be greatful for.

I enjoyed this project so much that I wish I would have kept it going through December. I plan to keep a daily gratitude Journal in 2012. I am looking forward to writing thank you notes too."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page