Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  5:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Angela Muller (farmallgrl, #337) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge!

"I made this apron out of a pattern I made myself after using one like it at my grandma's. This is my "good" apron I wear when going to the farmer's market or delivering some goodies to friend and family.

I love this apron, this fabric is my favorite. I had worn out my other apron so it was time to make a new one!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Smith (head barn goddess, #605) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I have collected 4 cloth reuseable bags from Trader Joes, 2 from Whole Foods and 1 from Mountain Rose Herb. I keep them hanging on the pantry door at home and swing by to take them off every time I go to the store. Love it!

I love using these bags. I feel no sense of guilt with either the paper or plastic option now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Smith (head barn goddess, #605) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge!

"I have chosen the Open Arms Care Center, Friends for Life Animal Sanctuary and Project CURE as my three community organizations. I completed my hours with the Friends for Life Animal Sanctuary.

I went through training to become a Dog Adoption Counselor and spend time on most Saturdays helping dogs find their forever homes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge!

"I learned the differences between grass-fed beef (and farm animals in general) and corporately-raised beef. I am completely shocked at what I learned, and I have been deeply affected. Please see my post "Pasture-Raised vs. Commercial Farmed" in the Farm Kitchen section of the chatroom for an essay I wrote on the subject.

I was absolutely shocked to learn about the horrible conditions farm animals live (and die) under in corporate farms. This was the LEAST pleasant activity for a badge I have completed, but such an important one."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Marianne O'Brien (peacebird, #661) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

"Watch the trailer of the movie at www.vanishingbees.com:
I watched the whole scary movie on my local Blue Ridge PBN channel.

Plant bee-friendly flowers in your garden.
I planted monarda (bee balm), agastache, a variety of mints.

Read Sue Monk Kidd’s “Secret Life of Bees.”
It was a sad tale, with some very hard sections to read, but life affirming nonetheless. Watched the movie as well and loved the way they brought the bee scenes to life!

I was horrified to learn that in one province in China they have killed all pollinators and must pollinate their crops by hand. And when they said that by 2035 America there could be no bees left if the losses continue at the same rate - I was horrified. It redoubled my interest in my little hive (started this year). So I ordered woodenware and wax to start a second hive!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Marianne OBrien (peacebird, #661) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I started a flock of chickens three years ago, and they are fed organically and free range as much as possible.

I absolutely adore Mario my gorgeous and very sweet roo and his ladies! There are the Trips (three red sex links), Blackie (a black feather footed cochin), four black tailed white japanese banties (two little roos who bother Blackie to no end) and two hens, and the auracana pullet.
I hope to add another buff orp (hawk got the last one) and another auracana soon. The eggs from my gals are far superior to those pitiful store bought ones! :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Key (jeannek, #655) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"In May I went to a local farm store and purchased 25 baby chicks. I realized it would take awhile before I would have eggs. I decided to do some research on different breeds of hens and roosters. I then bought 6 larger Barred Rock Hens and Rooster.

A few days ago I found my first egg. How exciting! To date I am getting one a day. I feed the chickens cracked corn that we have raised fertilizer free."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTXFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge!

"I chose this sample because 1) it had both embroidery stitches and cross stitch and 2) I thought the picture was very fitting for a farmgirl badge project. I mounted it on cardboard, closing the corners with a running stitch and the back with a large zigzag stitch. It is framed in an old barn wood frame with a barn red background mat. Putting the brads in the wood to hold the picture in was a lot more difficult than the instructions said it would be. But, I got it done.

This is my first embroidery project and I found it so relaxing. I prefer embroidery over cross stitch. I have already started on my "Days of the Week" tea towels. And I found a sweet deal on eBay a couple weeks ago. I purchased a lot of 78 Aunt Martha's transfer packets and hundreds of loose transfers, all from the 50's & 60's, for $36.00. The only problem is I want to do them all right now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  1:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa Reid (Alee, #8) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"Driving around my community I have noticed that most of the horses are Quarter Horses. This is a strong farming and ranching area and lots of ranches still use horses in day to day work. At the local Youth Ranch, I attended a show and sale event which highlighted the speed and cow savvy of this particular breed.

There is also a ranch that breeds registered Paint horses and another that breeds Tennessee Walking Horses.

My favorite breed is the Arabian, however. Being a short person I prefer a horse that is not much over 15 hands high or possibly even shorter. I love the head set of the arabian breed and the tail carriage. I love the soft eyes and the intelligence that has been carefully bred into them for thousands of years.

I was given an opportunity last week to meet a friends Quarter Horse named Joseph or Joe for short. He is a sweet 8 year old chesnut gelding. She also let me ride him for about 45 minutes, giving me an impromptu riding lesson at the same time.

If anything, my love of horses has been growing stronger these past few months. I am at the barn every day to care for my own horse, but am also making friends and contacts in the horse community. I feel like, through the horses, I am putting out roots and growing."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Lori Schmalz (squirrelfeathers, #640) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I've collected six or more reusable shopping bags and I commit to using them for all shopping.

I really enjoy all the different bags there are. How could anyone pass 'em up? Not only do they reduce waste but they're so bright & fun...they're everywhere!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  2:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Lori Schmalz (squirrelfeathers, #640) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I made a sewing kit out of a mason jar and a pinkeeper on the lid using Mary Jane's instructions. Kit includes the following...small scissors, tape measure, pins & needles, different threads & buttons.

Very Cute!! I used fabric & ribbon scraps left from a dress I made for the daughter of a friend. I'll be makin' a couple more for my sisters. Lot's of fun!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"My Husband and I started building a barn for our animals. We have pigs and goats so we thought we would raise chickens as well. So we ordered chickens. So...excited..

I think it turned out great. We are loving it. So..much fun! Our grandson we have been teaching him farm life. He loves collecting eggs. We keep a journal on how many eggs we can get everyday."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Ingrid Schoolkate (Ingrid, #475) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge!

"I plant a garden every year without any pesticides use newspaper and compostable bark mulch along my paths to cut down on weeds. This year I planted heirloom tomatoes outside to experiment. I use companion planting to cut down on pests.

I am making my first batch of bread and butter pickles from Zuchini yesterday. Zuchini works better than cukes as it is denser and stays crisp. Ate the first tomato from my greenhouse nice firm flesh and sweet taste."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Blair Gunberg (blair, #695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"Every chemical-laden cleaning product in my house has been replaced by some combination of vinegar, baking soda, Dr. Bronners soap, locally made goat's milk soap, washing soda, Borax, essential oils and dried lavender. The other member of my chapter and I have shared recipes for cleaning products and made large batches of laundry detergent together and shared the ideas with other friends.

I'll never go back to the old way. Especially after finding out what's in dryer sheets and how much better my clothes smell after being dried with a homemade sachet of dried lavender."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge!

"Well my metal trellis didn't uphold the weather. So I thought why not make a natural one out of twigs. So my husband cut some for me and I built it the way I wanted it to look like.

I love it.. I have had many people ask where did I get it, and boy does it feel good saying that I made it myself."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:21:52 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I have purchased and have been consistently using Walmart's reususable shopping bags. I have 6 black and 1 blue. I also have and use the insulated, zippered bag that is used for frozen/cold items.

I also have a pink bag from Sprouts that I use to carry food items when traveling. Sprouts sold them in October which is Breast Cancer Awareness month. They sold red one at Christmas, so I have one of those.

For carrying 6 bottles of wine Sprouts had a sectioned reususable tote . . . so that is in my collection as well.

I also have purchased a turquoise one from Albertsons, which is used as well.

All of these bags are in my car so I always have them . . . and always use them.

A really pretty pink paisley one from our local King Soopers, which is taller than most is PERFECT for transporting all of my beading supplies.

These bags hold more, are durable, and have eliminated my use of plastic a thousand-fold."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge!

"I have done considerable research via online searches, label reading, etc. to find products that are non-toxic and environmentally friendly and safe.

Currently use Seventh Generation products, especially the dishwashing soap. Also using simple, time-honored products such as baking soda and vinegar.

I am also trying out the various Green Works natural products. Find them to be quite satisfactory.

Also making increased efforts to use less plastics, styrofoam, etc.

Doing well!!! Happy with products and find it satisfying to reduce the "junk" in the environment."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Villebrun (Tapestry, #353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I've collected more than the required 50 button limit for my button box. Some belonged to my paternal grandmother, others to me and still others I've purchased.

I've had such fun collecting these buttons and my most favorite button has to be a Civil War button I recently acquired in a jar of buttons I purchased at a local charity thrift shop for 50 cents."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Villebrun (Tapestry, #353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge!

"I made a button bracelet using lady bug buttons, red and black buttons and strung them on tiger tail jewelry wire. I clamped the ends using crimps and added a lobster claw closure.

I think it turned out fairly well. The buttons want to slide a bit more than I'd like. I think the next button bracelet I make I would add a crimp before and after each button to lessen slipping."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge!

"I put old wood stakes in ground and wrapped string around it for my pole beans.

Its working fine. Keeps the plants in one area with the support."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge!

"I saved vegetable cans and punched holes with a nail and hammer for the veggie name's planted in my garden. I then put them onto scrap wood I recycled from a factory in town. I also purchased files for sharpening my garden tools along with some linseed oil for the handles.

It was a little hard to write small but they turned out okay. My tools are happier and work much better and labeling the garden has helped me remember what I had planted."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  10:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge!

"I have had a compost bin going since last year in a plastic tub given by our city. I chose to build a bigger one out of free pallets. I put the pallets together with brackets and lined the bottom with chicken straw and manure and have continued to add my cut grass and all veggie scraps I have.

It is really looking good now as some of the materials have broken down into some good black compost."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge!

"I got a whim to make a scarecrow and put together things I found around the house and yard and made it myself. I used an old flannel shirt, levi's, boots and stuffed her with straw.

It looks pretty weird but the deer are staying out of the garden now. It took a few hours to put together as I have not made one before and did'nt really know how it was gonna come out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile
Tanna Griffiths (tanna, #644) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

"I already know how to knit but to earn my beginner badge I learned a new stitch (star stitch) and knitted something I had never knitted before, a hanging hand towel for my kitchen. It took just over 3 hours start to finish. I knitted it durning my sons drumming classes on Saturdays.

I also taught my eldest son to knit. He made a knitted handle for a bag he made. It was similar to making a skinny scarf.

The towel is fantastic. I have gotten compliments already and will be making some for Christmas gifts this year. I'm not the best photographer though. It looks better in real life :)

My son got a little frustrated with his project, but it looks great for his first knitting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Fiona FixMitchell (labohemefiona, #689) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I've collected lots of reusable bags, mostly cotton and burlap, when I travel, and I use them when I'm out shopping. I also keep a couple of Chico Bags ( which fold up into their own tiny pouch) in my purse in case I forget my others.

It's an easy thing to do to help the environment, and I love loading groceries in bags from Stonehenge and Buckingham Palace."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page