Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  12:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I had to keep track of foods eaten for a ‘wellness’ program where I work so keeping the food journal for a month wasn’t so hard to do. Working in more veggies and fruits wasn’t too terribly challenging. I switched to virgin olive oil. (Wow, I prefer it!) The best thing? Switching to stevia! My sugar was a little high so I made the switch. Oh, and I read the book, yes, yes! Sprouts? Mission accomplished with the urging of my daughter-in-law who insisted it wasn’t hard.

It turned out pretty good all in all. I use stevia for my teas and yes, I have even successfully changed up several recipes {pie, cookies, cake} using it for sugar! I bought a dehydrator to dry fruits to toss in my car when I need to nibble. I loved Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle so much I bought it! I talk about it a lot to everyone, even my students. (But I still don’t care for sprouts!)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"Our county extension office is about a quarter to half mile from my house. We agree the best place to forage for edible wild plants is out away from the roadways. If you have friends or family with acreage, that is a good place to start. Exactly where depends on what you are foraging for.

I love the extension office. They have wonderful information written by someone who used to be my kids’ camp counselor when they were in 4-H. I learned that I already am familiar with many plants that I just took for granted: muskadines, dandelions, blueberries, elderberries, sassafras, polk salat, etc. I got the extension handouts, saved reputable sites on my computer’s ‘favorites’ list, and have ordered a couple of books about edible wild foods [the AR Extension site has a long list of great books on edible wild foods]!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I ordered my ChillOver powder and the first thing I made was a strawberry pie that I had been craving! I had family over and we all tasted it and agreed it was great. A good thing about this is that one daughter and my daughter-in-law are kosher and ChillOver is perfect for when I know they will be eating with me!

First I lost the insert that told how to make it so I had to go to Mary Jane’s site and beg people for recipes! This was successful as someone from the magazine even re-sent me the insert! My first attempt, the pie, turned out just a little too firm. I am since learning to adjust the amounts of ChillOver powder for various recipes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  1:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I was dying to make peach-pepper jam. When I did, I substituted ChillOver for gelatin. Also, the original recipe has microwave directions. I cooked mine over the stove traditional style.

Again, it is a little firm, but when I stir it, it is perfect. I am going to serve it with crackers and cream cheese at the Christmas get-to-gether at the university!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I earned this badge by painting the inside of my cabinets. Yes. When I took out my plastic container “drawer” – wow, it was a mess. Something had to be done. So before I put it back I went through and stacked and matched all containers, even finding some things I had declared lost.

My plastic-ware looks much better, there is more room, and I am using it more than ever for taking home cooked leftovers and healthy snacks for work. (My granddaughter wants to 'clean and match' them again!) The picture actually shows Millie helping me paint that day; but if you look at the lower left corner-ah ha! There is the tupperware we went through and matched!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Marie Westphal,(#2732) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I grew a small back-yard garden and used organic manure to fertilize and did not use pesticides. I also read Goodwin’s "Montrose: Life in a Garden".

Well, the super-extreme heat did a bad number on the garden, however, for the first time squash bugs and vine borers did not get my squash. I had a very hungry family of wrens nesting a few yards from the garden. I even saw where a vine borer had started on a squash vine but had been plucked out; the vine healed. I had trouble finding "Montrose: Life in a Garden" and finally had to order it from the branch library. Oh, and my garden is still growin'; a second planting of beans and a few tomatoes. We haven't had a killing frost yet. This photo is actually of my clothesline my son made me this summer. In the back, under the pink sheet, are my tomatoes and below them is the little garden (behind pots of blueberries not set out)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad,(Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I compiled a composition notebook of recipes, tips, ideas for green cleaning/living that I came across through research online or picked up from various reading sources.

When I first I started "greening" my house I literally wrote a mission statement on the white board in the kitchen saying from here forward we are going green and recycling. Now it is just known amongst my family members that mom likes green!

I began phasing out my non-green cleaning products. After my previously purchased non-green cleaning products ran out, I vowed not to repurchase those things I could make or buy green. I am now on to trying/testing out some of those very recipes I've collected in my notebook.

In addition to my immediate family I have shared my green notebook with my mother who is a fellow MaryJane Farmgirl, intending to start her very own going green mission.

I am impressed with my family's progress so far in going green. Of course, it's a constant ongoing process when it comes to greening your house/life, but we have BEGUN the process--starting with our cleaning products! My husband and children have been cooperative with these efforts. It's something I've wanted to do for some time but never got around to implementing it. Now I am constantly learning new greening tips and little by little making changes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"At the Georgia Farm Girls meeting on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011, I did a presentation on how to take guilty pleasures from the grocery store and turn them into healthy, organic substitutes. There were three other farm girls present with definite "show me" attitudes.

All the ladies present agreed that the "Zucchini Ice Cream" from my new book that is just out on Amazon ("Alive Health Recipe Book Healthy Eating On The Run") was a hit in spite of grave misgivings at the beginning. It actually tastes good!

The two other items I did were raw brownies and Granola cereal, all with fresh organic ingredients where possible. All present enjoyed themselves."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel, (traildancer #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I started a Community Service journal to keep track of what I invest in my community.

There are four organizations that immediately come to mind--Oregon Equestrian Trails, Back Country Horsemen of Oregon, North Umpqua Bible Fellowship, and the Senior Lunch Program in Glide. I am a member of the first two, regularly attend the third, and am curious about the fourth.

Volunteering for Back Country Horsement of America is simply filling out the membership application and sending in one's dues.

As a member of Back Country Horsemen, I ride various trails in the Umpqua National Forest. I count the trees across the trail, note the diameter of the large ones, and report back the the individual in charge of Trails for the Forest Service.

July 19, 2011, my friends and I rode the loop around Tenas Peak, counting the downed trees. It was a 4-hour ride.

July 20, 2011, we rode to Linda and Calamut Lakes,counting the downed trees. It was a five-hour ride.

July 21, 2011, we rode to Maidu Lake, a five and a half-hour ride.

After each ride, I would call Mr. Menke and report on the condition of the trails. This gives him a better idea of how much time it may take to clear a trail."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning, (mamahenning #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a single sized quilt for my niece, Gabby. I used scrap fabric that I had leftover from other sewing projects that I have done. It is a very simple pattern that I put together, but it helped me brush up on some quilting techniques such as adding a backing. This quilt took me many hours to do. I have two small children and I only have part of nap time to work on anything. It came out very nice and I’m sure my niece will really enjoy it!

My favorite part of the quilt is the way I did the ties. Instead of just tying a knot with embroidery floss, I sewed buttons at the corners of each block. It took a lot longer to do it that way, but it is so beautiful and was a great way to use some of my button collection."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning, (mamahenning #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started a button collection in early January. However, my family does not wear very many garments with buttons. I was off to a slow start. By June, I had just 3! I thought I would never get 50. In early September, my dad and I stopped at an estate sale. I bought a box of sewing stuff and tucked in the bottom was a tin full of beautiful buttons! I now have well over 200!

I have gone though the tin of buttons that I purchased and even used some for ties on a quilt that I made. There are some buttons with tags still on them, but it is plain to see that the vast majority came from a lifetime of cutting buttons off garments that were most likely repurposed into something else. I don’t know the woman that owned them, or her family, but I like to think that she is looking down from heaven and is happy to see someone making use of her button collection."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started this journal on August 18th 2011. I really enjoyed looking back on what I wrote to remind myself what is truly important.

I liked doing this so much that I have kept it up, and must say, its interesting to try and not repeat myself. I have discovered that I have a lot of wonderful things in my life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote letters to all of my local heroes. I expressed my gratitude to them all and thanked them for their service.

I felt great after writing these letters, hopefully the people who received these letters felt just as good when they read them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  3:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I started keeping track of my mileage and fuel useage on 08/31/2011. I didn't know I would be replacing my Toyota Prius with a Ford Explorer truck at the time but within 2 weeks my vehicle changed.

Needless to say, my Prius got wayyyy better gas milage, somewhere in the neighborhood of 42 miles per gallon. The Ford faired much worse, around 23. The Prius also made it much easier to check my tire pressure, coolant levels, oil levels, power steering and windshield washer levels. Things were more clearly marked and accesable plus it was a newer model so the labels were not as weathered. But go me, I figured it out in the truck and am a much more confident driver."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  4:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have accumulated an enormous amount of green bags and use them all quite frequently.

I love to find interesting ones, especially the kind that fold into a small pouch."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I looked through the website www.eatwild.com
I read all of the articles and even used their links to do some more exploring of my own.

I knew of the dangers of commercially raised meat. Not just for me, the consumer, but also the animals, the workers, and the environment. I was unaware of some of the specific details that many of these corporate farmers use to try and increase their bottom line. Some of the more disturbing things I learned was about the feed and ultimatly the health of these animals. How can these farmers think that candy with wrappers, pot scrubbers, recycled magazines and newspapers, not to mention all of the hormones, anti-biotics, and other types of medications are good for them or us? 500 billion per year lost because of Ascites? The pasture raised chickens do not have these kinds of mortality rates. It's cheaper and better for us and their pockets, so why are we still buying this garbage? I found a farm nearby where I live on their website. Lake Meadow Naturals LLC offers chicken and duck eggs, broilers, cornish hens, goat meat, beef, pork, and local honey. I will be making a trip there very soon and will spread the word to all who care to listen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Going Green badge.

"I am applying for all three levels of "Going Green":

Beginner: I have not used toxic cleaners for 30 years...basically since I had my own home and choices. I decided to use the beginner portion of this badge to update my green journal, which lives in our health care office as a resource. I recently welcomed a quilting friend to my neighborhood and brought her a lovely basket of homemade cleaning products.

Intermediate: I learned a lot making laundry detergent and soap...I am well versed in all purpose, window, floor, bath cleaners already, but had not taken the step to make my own soap or laundry detergent. A little goes a long way with a high efficiency front loader! I read all the forums on MJF and researched what others have come up with on the internet, and now have about a 5 year supply by the washer. My soap came out rather hilarious as I used shaped ice cube silicone trays to mold the soap. I tried my lavender flowers, and yes, it is more of a scrub-type of soap vs. creamy.
I had some friends over last month to help make the soap and gave each lady a copy of my laundry detergent and hand sanitizer recipes with little bottles of each.

Expert: My home and office, as well as art studios are all organized around "green". We have outdoor clothesline, pictured below, and I like to plant lots of herbs and flowers to enjoy while I hang out wash. During the winter, I still use the outdoor line in the middle of the day, but I also have two heavy rods that are 8 feet each inside our boiler room (hot water heat), that basically is a drying room. I also use a stand up wood rack, and a lighter weight rod above the washer for lightweight items.
We use non-toxic paints,have wood floors with hand knotted area rugs, air filtration, water filtration, non-toxic mattresses, furniture, and fabrics.
I have donated far more than the required 6 hours to several friends to transform their living environments from toxic to healthy.
I have an entire lending library in my office, that is highly used and well respected. I love sharing good news, simple living, healthy choices, and a hopeful future with the folks that pass through our office and lives.

I think this has all been amazing! I am so grateful to have found the farmgirl sisterhood and this system of merit badges to organize my thoughts and values into hard-core action."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  2:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I am applying for all levels of this badge:

Beginner: I have quite a collection of shopping bags, including teeny stuff sacks that clip to my purse and cooler-lined bags for frozen or refrigerator items. I also have net produce bags, laminated paper bags, and recycled onion netting, etc. I use my bags for everything from shopping for groceries to buying a pair of shoes. I keep a bag 'kit' in each vehicle, the back porch, the garden shed, and just grab and go.

Intermediate: I do not use toxic cleaners, and did research new options for the 'Cleaning Up: Going Green' merit badge.

Expert level: I am organizing a Farmgirls Southwest henhouse bag swap for January, avoiding holidays and our Thanksgiving 'tie one on' day...so I organized some of my local friends to have a bag sewing day in my studio. This led to a spontaneous talk to a local youth group on simple ways to go green while still living at home.

My efforts to inspire others to stop using those hideous plastic bags at the grocery had been well rewarded. Our local food coop now has someone making net bags for produce as a small cottage industry, and is offering lots of handmade totes. Our offspring and their partners are enjoying the sets of bags I sent as harvest gifts, filled with goodies from the farm, of course! Two of my girlfriends are looking at offering a free class on sewing up present bags for the holidays at our local library...so on we go. I am also looking forward to seeing what my henhouse sisters come up with in our 'distance swap'."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  3:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I am applying for all levels:
Beginner, Intermediate, Expert:
I read Lynn Coulter's book, among others, to further my understanding of seed saving for produce and flowers. Last spring, I spent a lot of time researching Monticello's gardens, and how Thomas Jefferson worked his rotations of food items. Granted he still had slaves, and lived in an era very unlike our own, but at the same time Jefferson introduced amazing varieties of plants from Europe to the US for the first time, all of which are now considered heirloom varieties.
Last fall I saved many seeds including cosmos, hollyhock, lakota squash, Juliet tomato, early Jersey wakefield green cabbage, four heirloom peas and beans, nasturtiums, peppers, etc. This year I planted and grew many of these to adult fruiting stages, and re-saved many of the varieties. It has been an amazing education in agriculture and a time when there weren't online catalogs for everything I could ever want to grow. My gardens this year were over 90% heirloom varieties, with fantastic success. I have also been very blessed with excellent friends and neighbors that have joined together in protecting and cultivating our heritage plants. We did a lot of swapping, including some of my flowers that I painted fancy little seed packets as gifts. My favorite is my close neighbor's great- great-grandmother's snap beans..fabulous, tasty, abundant, and I saved a ton of seed to share next season.

Overall, the results are very inspiring with a few abject failures! I am so very grateful my family will not starve because one or two crops failed. It is humbling how much there is to know and put into practice, but I can honestly report my seed saving area of the root cellar is full to the brim for next season."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  3:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I am applying for all levels of badge:
beginner: I have completed hunter's safety in Colorado for levels 1 and 2, and have also taken NRA courses in handgun, basic to advanced, leading to a concealed carry permit for Colorado.
Intermediate:
I have spent more than a hundred hours in the last year at our local gun range: Colorado Gun Club, target shooting, sighting in a hunting rifle, practicing with various firearms we own, and teaching others gun safety.
Expert:
I just finished butchering and packaging the doe gotten with a clean, single shot, into the freezer. Elk season 3 was not as successful, so we shall see what happens with my private property tag for season 4 next week.

Venison stew for dinner tonight with pressure cooked rib meat and MJF biscuits. Yum!! I love knowing the source of my food, and honestly feel safer that I am well trained in firearms."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Rain Klepper, (Rain K #3381) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I am applying for all levels of this badge:
Beginner: my best friend and I have chickens at her place and mushrooms at mine. We built several houses for the chickens, turkeys, and guinea hens (loud!) and have been blessed with lots of eggs. All of the chicken feed is organic, including sheep's milk whey from my cheese making. The egg yolks are an incredible color.
Intermediate: I learned how to milk a cow, a goat, and a sheep at a friend's farm. Hilarious! Her husband can squirt milk straight from the animal into the mouth of the waiting and assembled cats. I could hardly get it in the pail. This is serious muscle building exercise! At this same farm, I helped start an Icelandic sheep flock, as well as heritage goats. I have been spinning for many years and involved in supporting rare and primitive breeds of various fiber animals through county fairs, classes, and local ranchers.
Expert:
I do not buy meat in non-organic grocery stores, and haven't since moving to this valley in 2002. All of our meat, poultry, dairy, and produce I do not grow, comes from local farmers, neighbors, and friends, or hunting.
I make a variety of soft cheeses and this year for the first time, hard cheese, all from sheep's milk. I learned to make butter this summer from my neighbor and am hooked on the taste of fresh.
I have a series of greeting cards of sheep, particularly Jacob's (also known as medieval lawn ornaments!), that I gift and occasionally sell.

Life is grand living in the country and eating clean. It all turned out very well, and continues to evolve in our community."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Last weekend my family went to a family cabin in the woods. It was generator powered. The nearest neighbor was a 30 minute drive away. There was no cell phone coverage. The generator failed for the two days we were there. We had wood stove heat and gas stove cooking.

It was great. We played games. I got to crochet. We got a little exploring the woods squeezed in but it was pretty cold and windy for the kids. We even got our Christmas tree as a family hiking around. (Don't worry the tree will do great, we always cut our trees early and they still look great at Christmas.) Our 4.5 year old daughter was begging to stay when we had to head home to work on those paychecks that can be so helpful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I started looking into green ways to decorate and found that much of it would be taking something old and making it new again, either by a refinish or refurbish. I found that I should be looking at my local antique store for inspiration for rooms, and not in big box stores.

I am so proud, I found a wonderful painting at my local flea market and then was able to start pondering how do I want to redo my kitchen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"I do not have a local chapter so shared my new adventure on the forum here http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54627.

I am pleased with the post and look forward to updating it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started my first compost pile two years ago. It didn't compost much I think because I didn't turn the materials to get any oxygen in there and because we have pretty low moisture here. This spring I started with a barrel type compost bin that rotates pretty easily. I added fresh stuff to it all summer, including water.

Just finished "Worms Eat My Garbage" today.

My second attempt is working great. I am amazed at how great actually. Toward the end of the summer I was actually adding waste from my first compost pile to the second. I really liked "Worms Eat My Garbage." I feed most of our food waste to our chickens so I am not really sure we would have enough waste that would go to worms to make vermicompost but the explanations really helped me understand what I am trying for in my garden and with my compost."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page