Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Cathy Pyatt, (cottagefarmgirl #2655) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have taught myself cross-stitch, embroidery, and punch needle. I have done a few small cross-stitch projects. I am working on a mid-sized punch needle project that will include some hand embroidery as well.

Haven't finished the punch needle, but included a picture of it so far with a picture of the small cross-stitch that just needs to be framed. I like to do both, but I am a little intimidated by large cross-stitch patterns because of the counting and keeping this separate with only a blank cloth and a piece of paper with color codes to follow. I am working up my confidence to tackle a larger project in cross-stitch"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  1:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Faith Butler, (Pugmama #547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I tossed all non green cleaners from my home and started making my own. I use recycled glass bottles for most of the cleaners. I write all my recipes in a green journal for future use!

I love my homemade all purpose cleaner. I put eucalyptus oil in it and it counteracts the vinegar smell. Now I don't have to worry about my animals getting sick from toxic fumes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (K_Fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I started our chapter "Klamath Falls Charming Chicks" with five strangers I met after moving to Klamath falls almost 3 years ago. I introduced them to the MJF Farmgirl Connection, and they all joined the sisterhood. We meet at least once a month and are earning merit badges.

Right now our chapter is standing at 16 members. All but 4 have joined the sisterhood and we are still growing. Donating our time in the community and sharing with each other the true spirit of a farmgirl."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  1:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Faith Butler, (Pugmama #547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"Since the beginning of the year I started making my own powdered laundry detergent. It's so much cheaper, cleans the clothes well, and doesn't have any adverse effects on my sensitive skin. This past July, I had a hand in making my first soap. We made oatmeal goats milk and rose scented clay glycerine. The roses were from my garden!

I won't go back to store bought laundry detergent. This is much better for the environment and my wallet. I use different essential oils for fragrance, whenever I want to switch it up. Everyone I've given soaps to have all commented on how wonderfully soft their skin is from using it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Faith Butler, (Pugmama #547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"My lending library is open to any one of my friends. I have accumulated quite a few green idea books. I love the naturally clean home by Karyn Siegel-maier. I helped my mom with going green. Took a weekend but we got it done. Tossed all the bpa laden plastics from her home! I ripped out the carpet from my home and am down to bare wood. Much healthier, and prettier in my opinion!

I'm still going strong. I try to stay as green as possible. I still use all my own homemade products. I had a hot water recycler put in and have rain barrels. I recycle all paper, glass and plastic products. My next step is to get solar!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (k-fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I unplugged for four days with the hubby. We went camping at Shasta Lake... no phones, no TV, just quiet and peaceful days walking in an old homestead in the fall leaves.

We thoroughly enjoyed time with nature. It was a great four days."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (k-fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I took 4 classes at Leo's Camera shop to learn to take great photos after my husband bought me a new camera. I post them on my blogs at www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com and www.thishensacookin.blogspot.com where I post quite often.

I love taking photos of people, food I have cooked, my dog, flowers, travel scenery , my chickens and my chapter events. You can see samples of them on my blogsites."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Ray, (Glitter Girl #3574) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"Having worked the ER as an RN, I understand fully the importance of being prepared for any emergency. Ensuring proper supplies and fire extinguisher access, fire alarms - all can be life saving.

First aid kit availability is essential. I even have one for my dogs. Thank goodness I have not needed to use one for anything serious."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (Forever Young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I continued walking 30 minutes at least twice a week which is the goal I set. Sometimes I walk three times.
My local grocery store now has a decent size natural and organic section. I started shopping there more often.

I have cut down on the amount of food I eat and have more energy.
I just had lab work done and everything is normal, which I am sure has to do with my changing eating habits and exercise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (Forever Young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched ways to clean my home without using toxic chemicals.
Basically plain vinegar and water does about everything.

I also started using 100% all Natural ECOS laundry soap and
Green Works 99% Natural Oxi stain remover.

I am enjoying fresher smelling clothes and when I clean house I don't feel sick from the chemical smell of cleaners.
I wish I had started this a long time ago."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith, (Forever Young #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I tried new organic or natural foods each week or more often.
I tried organic carrots, Natural Farmers cheese, Emerill's Natural pasta sauce and Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour.

It's such a good feeling knowing I am eating healthier and putting less chemicals in our bodies. Not to mention the taste, so much more flavorful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  11:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman, (gspringman #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"I found an old fence and worked the wire the way I could. I wired some canning jars onto it with a few curly cues and placed pumpkin scented tea lights inside.

It worked really well for the fall gathering of farmgirls I had out here last night. Everyone wants to make one now. What a fun project this was to do!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"In thinking about making my nieces some bean bags, I wanted them to be educational as well as fun. So I decided to embroider the color names on the bags and cut the bags different shapes. I originally wanted to put a second bag inside with the beans to make them safer, but decided if I top stitched that should be just as safe.

They are cute. I was inspired to make a drawstring bag for them and made a little booklet with games in it. I hope they like their homemade Christmas gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"I found a cute pattern online for a topsy turvey doll and made that for my intermediate doll.

I have not made many dolls and struggled with the hair a bit. My granddaughter who is 2 won't care."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Norma Santiago, (nvstgo #3579) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I figured out how much I spend per person per meal. I skipped lunch on Thursday, October 27th. I have donated to the amount of the meal to Religious Community Services, our local food bank.

It made me reflect how grateful I am that I do not have to struggle to put food on our table. I realized that I need to help more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Norma Santiago, (nvstgo #3579) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a beginner's sewing kit.It was fun making the pinkeeper. It includes color thread, buttons, scissors, needles, pins and safety pins.

It turned out great, I have all my supplies in one place ready to be used in a project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Norma Santiago, (nvstgo #3579) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I made a collage. I used acrylic paints, different types of paper, stamps, and inks.

It turned out great. I learned a lot in the process of creating this art. I will make more to give as presents."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  10:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Sweeney, (SunnyJam #2504) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"To earn my merit badge, I read "Woe is I," I learned a word of the day for fourteen days, and I created 10 grammar-centric posts on the message boards during this same two week period. The words I learned were adumbrate, bildungsroman, bioturbation, contumacious, corrade, coruscate, hamartia, haruspex, jimjams, marginalia, megrim, pelf, tutoyer, and zibeline.

After completing the Farmgirl Grammar beginner level, I was very eager to continue with the new word of the day, and that part certainly didn't disappoint! "Woe is I" was a quick and helpful read, although it instructed that almond should be pronounced "AH-mond" with a silent l, which I'd never heard of and have never heard anyone use before. The biggest surprise to me was how much I enjoyed posting. That was the task I was definitely the least excited about because I tend to be a "lurker" when it comes to the internet and don't write a lot. Well, even doing just ten posts has started to change my outlook. I found that it was quite satisfying to share my opinions and come together with others. So I'd say this has turned out very well indeed!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (k-fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I oiled the hinges on all my doors inside and out, including the chicken coop, and cleaned my garden clippers and other garden tools before putting them away for the season.

I bought my own oil can and used it to oil all my doors and garden tools."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  11:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide, (k-fallsfarmgirl #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I have been eating organic vegetables, and drinking organic milk and 1/2 & 1/2 for the past month. We are slowly adding new organic grown food to our diet.

My husband thinks organic milk tastes richer and we use a lot of it. We shop the organic food sections of our markets."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gossoo, (DaisyMom #3577) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"This spring I purchased 8 tiny chicks from a local farm store (planning that 2 or 3 might perish, due to my inexperience in this venture). I am happy to say that all 8 Rhode Island hens are doing well and providing our family, as well as two others, with delicious eggs every day. In addition to their regular layer mash, they get lots of left overs and extras from our organic, no pesticides, compost-fertilized garden. They also get lots of free-ranging time in our 5-acre plot of land in the country.

We sell a total of 2.5 dozen eggs every week, as well as having enough for our family. I never thought I'd like chickens, but I love them. They are such characters, and all have different personalities. What a way to use up the scraps from the kitchen!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Neel, (#3070) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"For this badge I used a basket to gather all the sewing kit items together. Scissor, pins, needles, thread and buttons. I made a pin cushion out of felt in the shape of a flower and the stuffed it with poly fill to make it fuller.

For this badge I used a basket to gather all the sewing kit items together. Scissor, pins, needles, thread and buttons. I made a pin cushion out of felt in the shape of a flower and the stuffed it with poly fill to make it fuller."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I found three products I love for my home. One is an all purpose spray that smells of oranges. I have also started using Ecover laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, and toilet cleaner. My house smells so great and not so chemical.

I love the smell of the toilet cleaner and the all purpose spray. I am happy with all the cleaners but I hope to progress to homemade cleaners soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read a lot on the site www.eatwild.com. It coincided with what my husband and I strive for for our family. We succeed with our beef, pork, venison, and elk but not with our chicken source.

It has made me consider why we don't worry or take the time to find a better source of chicken for ourselves. I guess I will have to start looking for that better source now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  12:45:20 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Dyeing for Color badge.

"I began experimenting with dyeing fabrics and trims many years ago when we were young marrieds and living in rentals. Trying to match colors we couldn't change, etc.

For this project I didn't PLAN to coffee dye my shirt but that's what ended up happening. Brand new shirt, spilled coffee on it the first time I wore it while traveling with my daughter. I was told that hydrogen peroxide would take it right out . . it did. But after all was said and done and I went outside in the sun the affected area turned yellow. No amount of washing, rinsing, etc., etc. changed it. So we decided to coffee dye our shirts, in hopes that it would take care of the problem. We were okay with them having the "aged" look.

This led to a rather lengthy study on dyeing, procedures, mordants, dyes and such. It also led to my craft group getting involved and we actually learned a lot about the entire process, making notes and getting a little more serious about it and making some plans for future projects.

Our first attempt at coffee dyeing our shirts rendered a result that we weren't really pleased with. They just looking "dingy" rather than with a lovely aged look. So, we studied further and tried another procedure which was quite different than the first in how you prepped the fabric, timed the coffee process, "set" the color, etc. The result was a better result with a more "aged" look.

I think I will be doing more coffee and/or tea dyeing projects because I love the look it gives. As for other dyeing procedures . . I haven't gotten that far yet.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page