Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  1:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Janet Doran, (Jan49829 #3340) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I am applying for the beginner merit badge for Each Other in the Plant It Forward category. I have planted an extra row in my vegetable garden and did donate it to our food bank at St. Vincent De Paul where they have a food bank, but also a soup kitchen on Wednesdays.

They were very thankful for recieving these items. I will be donating more soon."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Janet Doran, (Jan49829 #3340) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I have been exercising daily for at least 7 years. I belong to an online group called Let's Get Fit for people with COPD. We need to exercise daily and post what we have done for that day. I continue to do as much as possible and now added a goal to lose 20 pounds by the end of the year.

So far, since the 1st of September, I did lose 4 pounds by walking more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Janet Doran, (Jan49829 #3340) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I spent 2 hours or more making a half apron using a pattern out of a book I had here for the dimensions. I like how it urned out using vintage fabric. I have learned to wear an apron whenever in the kitchen.

The apron is so handy in keeping me from getting food and water all over my clothing while cooking and cleaning up."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Janet Doran, (Jan49829 #3340) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron using Simplicity pattern #2555. I spent at least 3 hours working on this apron and wore it to my sister's house.

It was an easy pattern to follow and I enjoyed making it. My sister loved it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Janet Doran, (Jan49829 #3340) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"This apron I designed myself and added lace to the edges to make it fancy. I made 2 aprons the same and gave one to my sister. I wore it while shopping yesterday after I finished it. It looks like a dress.

The aprons turned out great even though it was a challenge getting the lace trim on. My sister really loved hers, but said she will not wear it out of the house!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I made first aid kits for all of our three vehicles and since we trail ride, I made a small one to carry in my saddle bag. We have a fire extinguisher in our pantry by the kitchen and we just replaced the smoke detectors.

Having first aid kits in all of the vehicles makes me feel like I'm ready for any emergency whether it's on the farm or on the road."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I visit the town in which I was born at least once a month. Last June, I took my kids to the Historical Museum and participated in Heritage Days. We learned how people lived years ago, and learned to make ropes, candles, churn butter, weave, make chairs, grind corn, and a lot more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Civic Heritage badge.

"I did research on a business that my father once co-owned.

I was amazed at how much information I could access from the Internet. I could actually open scrapbooks of local newspaper clippings and read them at home. I shared the information (and link) with my chapter. The woman in the one photo (at the Fountain counter) is Carol. I used to cover her lunch hour as a teenager. Most of my entire family worked there, and we served the best hot fudge sundaes in town. The store was eventually closed and is currently a bar. I can remember coffee being $.35 a cup with free refills. I'd be lucky to get a dime for a tip on that. Sandwiches were $1.00 each, and served with pickles. We served ham, tuna, chicken and egg sandwiches. We served 4 types of ice cream (butter pecan, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry), and made lemonade from freshly squeezed lemons. All of the food was prepared behind that fountain counter.

My older siblings worked the other counters, including a photography counter, cigarette counter and regular register where people picked up their prescriptions. Next to the cigarette counter was a candy bin. I can remember penny candy selling for $.02 each - gum that looked like cigarettes, bazooka gum, rootbeer barrels, dum dum suckers, brachs candy and more.

The store was right next to the Cla-zel theatre, and people would come in the store to stock up on candy before going to the movies.

The movie theatre was recently turned into a classy bar, but the sign and front of the store still remains the same. Some farmgirls received a postcard of it from me, in a post card exchange one year.

I sure do miss that drug store, and the simplicity of it. I plan to continue to research the business and other businesses during the same time period."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"Last summer, my oldest daughter and I, participated in a hearthside cooking class.

It took place at Ft. Meigs, in Perrysburg, Ohio, were a fort is located. The women were dressed in time related clothing and re-enacted how people cooked at that time.

Thankfully, the Internet has a lot of information and photos of the history of the fort, for us to compare with.

In the past, one of my kids participated in a renaissance activity, and I made her a costume of that era. I have also visited many other re-enactments during the Grand Rapids Apple Butter Festival that is held each October."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I faithfully keep my fluid levels checked and filled. I worked as a lube tech/full service gas station attendant for 9 years so I fully understand the importance. Since my husband and I always buy older used cars it's especially important to maintain their fluid levels for lengthening the life of the car. I'm driving a '91 Subaru Loyale with 219,000 miles on it right now. She runs like a champ. That little car gets between 26 mpg and 30 mpg depending on how much time I spend on the freeway versus driving in town. I much prefer the the "old" road.

This project turned out well. My co-workers (even their husbands sometimes) ask me for advice on their own cars. The best thing I've done with this skill was pass it on to others, especially the older generation of ladies whose husbands always took care of the car. =)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"I make sure my oil is changed every 3000 miles and I use the correct viscosity for the age and type of car that I have. I always recycle the oil. It goes to a local Chevron who then sells it to our county for use in their oil burning shop heater.

It turned out well. As I mentioned in my beginner badge application for this category I changed oil, etc. as a full time job for 9 years so this is easy for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristi Groth, (Kristi #3407) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I've changed my tires from summer tires to winter tires for the last 10 years myself. It was easy since I worked in a lube shop where we also changed and repaired tires. I also change my own fluid in my transmission, differentials and also my own spark plugs and wires. I change my own battery as needed. I prefer to flush my radiator coolant when needed, but that's not necessary very often. I can change my tire on the side of the road if I get a flat and then I can also fix a flat if the tire isn't damaged beyond repair.

Driving older cars it is very important to maintain the car's fluids as well as change the fluids periodically. This project went well. I have always enjoyed being able to take care of my own car. It saves money and gives me peace of mind knowing for myself that things were done correctly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Hughes, (hughes77 #1223) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I always thought my grammar was quite good until I had grandchildren and listened to them speak. Now, not only do I try to use correct grammar, but I encourage them to do the same. Reading with my Kindle is great because if I come across a word I don't know there is a built in dictionary to use. I look up words that I don't know and try, at the time, to think of different scenarios where I could use them. They are then put into my notebook that I have with me constantly and I reveiw them and use them as often as possible. I also incorporate them into my speech as often as possible unless it is some obtuse word that I can never use again!

Other than my grandkids and husband sick of me correcting them all the time it is working out well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Cathy Pyatt, (cottage farmgirl #2655) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Crochet badge.

"This project would actually cover 2 levels--beginner and intermediate. I crocheted a scarf that used single, double, triple, half-double stitches and picots and scallops. It was an Irish lace patterned scarf that had a decorative edge and crochet roses and leaves.

I taught myself the stitches, checking back when I started again each time actually. It's hard to remember all the loops when you work on something over months. I crocheted the scarf until I tired of the same thing over and over, and then I'd change to the rose centers, flowers, or leaves. Once all components were finished, I assembled them into the finished project.

I have to guess on the exact amount of time, but it was somewhere between 20 or 30 hours total. I did have to unravel and start over thinking I had the stitching wrong. I figured after doing this twice, I had it right the first time. It may have took longer, but I feel pretty good about these numbers. I am very proud. It turned out beautifully. It may not be perfect, but it looks good.

I worked on the scarf in the company of a friend for at least 5 hours and taught them to do stitches that they were unable to figure out or do themselves. She was working on a project herself and couldn't figure out the number of loops and how/when to pull them through. she has since told me that it helped. I can only hope that it did.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"It all started when I was a young teenager and I started reading Nancy Drew mysteries. I was enthralled with them and started writing my own mysteries!! I've been writing something all my life since then.

"The Elements of Style" is a very practical, helpful book.

I write newspaper articles on several subjects, which include recounting experiences for myself, my family or friends. I write newsletters, most recently for my family, with stories of our Scottish ancestors and heritage. I write in my own journals. For the submissions to the newspaper or newsletters my husband does the reading and proofing.

I've enjoyed all the writing experiences over the years. I find myself pressed for time currently to pursue it, but hope to expand into more creative, but non-fiction writing."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:22:00 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Ink Slinger badge.

"Memoirs, autobiographies and Christian non-fiction are my favorite genres.

I find that "WOE IS I" and "EATS, SHOOTS and LEAVES" are very helpful books for writing anything. I believe them to be some of the best available for anyone wanting to write.

"Old Friend From Far Away" by Natalie Goldberg and "Writing About Your Life" by William Zinsser are also helpful for those who wish to write their own memoirs.

I also find that just reading the books that Christian non-fiction authors have written give me good insights into style and technique, as well as the inspiration needed to write about my own life and experiences.

I am always open for learning more and developing better writing skills for what I do write. My focus is my own memoirs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Ink Slinger badge.

"My thesis for my Masters Degree is published and copyrighted, titled "Parent-Professional Partnerships: A More Successful Approach to Positive Development of Persons of Developmental Disabilities/Handicaps" . . .because I'm the mother of a developmentally disabled son.

My short human interest story was written about my disabled son and how he has changed the "face" of our family . . and my life.

Some of my favorite readings were:
"THE HIDING PLACE" by Corrie Ten Boom;
"THROUGH GATES OF SPLENDOR" by Elisabeth Elliott. While they were written many years ago by these ladies I enjoyed reading them again.

"ARIZONA COWMAN" is written by my husband's grandfather and is such an interesting book and an easy read, also enjoyed re-reading.

I am writing my own memoirs and the books pictured are filled with those memoirs. More of my own memoirs are organized into a word document in my computer files. It is non-fiction and it far surpasses 20 pages.

In all my writing it has been important to me to be careful of grammar, spelling and proper usage of terms. I have been careful to not use abbreviations and, in my own memoirs, to be sure that dates are included for every writing and for every situation/activity written about.

Writing is enjoyable and I will continue this as long as I am able. My memoirs are on paper."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I ordered and played with the BakeOver mix. I experimented with a few different blends. I then made a couple BakeOver's, one using smoked salmon, goat's cheese and asparagus, one with all veggies, black olives and feta, and one with peppers, onions and steak 'n cheese. I made these at our river camp and we invited camp neighbors over for BakeOver dinner and wine/beer by the fire with music.

It turned out great! The small BakeOver pan fits perfect in both the small trailer oven as well as inside my dutch oven for baking! Everyone loved the dinner. They are used to my version of "camp gourmet" and usually pay us back with breakfast."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I contacted a local group on foraging to learn local areas. I was referred to a local group and picked up some info from them. While hiking I ran into a mushroom foraging man and spoke with him awhile. He showed us first hand some common mistakes made by people in our area and gave me his number in case I wanted to go sometime. I picked up a good book with sketches, photos and recipe ideas.

All the above turned out well. I actually did make nettle tea, dandelion wine and rose hips jam."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I ordered the whole wheat Budget Mix in bulk with a small pan. I usually only shop the perimeter of store due to food restrictions of stomach digestion. I grow, can and freeze most veggies as well as eggs from a neighbor, raw milk from a local farmer in town (where I also get enough to make our yogurt, butter and cheese) and we split an organically raised cow each year with friends.

It is wonderful! I love the Budget Mix. The family loves the Quick 'n Easy BakeOvers, daughter loves the brownies and enjoyed also making muffins. Hubby actually made pumpkin pancakes. We used this for most of mid June - July."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I joined Weight Watchers. I know I can do this on my own but being held accountable to getting on the scale and attending the meetings helps just a little! I had fallen off the workout wagon last month when we went to Vegas for St Patty's day. Time to get back on it!

It's going great, started dropping pounds each week, slow and steady. Working out at least 5 times a week plus with getting the garden going.... yes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I planned meals once a week, going through magazines, cookbooks and visiting the farmers market to see what was showing up, though it was early in the season. I also planned meals while clearing out the freezer of the organic harvest from last season. I picked up a new workout DVD, a country dance one. Something new for cardio to keep things interesting. I'm still attending Weight Watcher's meetings.

I'm still shedding weight. The neighbors even commented on it. I had to visit the Goodwill for a new pair of jeans... love it! The new DVD is surprisingly fun! Even did well while on the road to Canada for a week and in Boise for a second week when we picked my daughter up from school."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (turtlemoon #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I'm still on track, did a 5K, more walk than run.... I'm just not a runner! Even went to Hawaii for 3 weeks and every day did a water aerobics or yoga class... then also swam, dove, hiked and lots and lots of walking!

It's worked wonderfully! I drank and ate to my hearts content just making wise choices but not counting calories and didn't gain weight on the 3 weeks, plus overall I am down a good chunk of weight. (I wore a bikini all vacation) I like the new lifestyle and feel icky if I do not get a chance to work out regularly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider, (narjay #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I learned to tat watching the video on MaryJane TV – (thank you for all the great videos). I made this piece six feet long, so I can use it as edging on my next apron. I also made two shorter pieces to go across the top of the pockets.

I love the way this turned out and I look forward to my next project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a BakeOver TakeOver for my D-I-L and took it to her house with a fruit BakeOver for dessert. The pot holders I made for her for Christmas to match an apron.

I had fun working on the vintage embroidery designs. I'm pleased with both projects."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page