Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  12:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Mathews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"We started making a game out of recreating organic treats. We made our own Cherry Soda with Mineral Water, stevia, and cherry juice. I started making my own granola, because the store brands have so much junk in them and are high in sugar. We make our own corn chips now from organic corn tortillas. We put them in a 350 degree oven and bake them for about 10 minutes til they are crisp and golden. They are great with salsa and so much less fattening. The picture is of an Egyptian treat called Koshari we enjoyed in Cairo last year. It is spaghetti, tube pasta, and rice with a vinegar and cumin tomato sauce with lentils and chick peas and fried onions on top. Sounds gross but try it. There are recipes on Google. We found all the ingredients in organic substitutes.

Really enjoying eating healthier. My kids are enjoying making these new treats too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  1:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made 4 of these full length aprons. One of them will be for a swap I'm doing (don't tell). Two are for Christmas.

I enjoyed making a full length style. I wear my apron to my mom's, it is really good when I'm sewing to keep the threads off my clothes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I cross-stitched 3 projects.

The blue baby bib did not have a printed pattern. I had to determine how large I wanted it on the bib and count squares. The pillow case and white bib were cross-stitched with printed patterns."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I purchased a small project kit at my local craft store. I then began to learn how to do counted cross stitch. I started it one day when I was to be in the car for 6+ hours.

It turned out pretty good. I had one mistake, but it was not too noticeable. I enjoy the fact that the cross stitch says "Wash the Dishes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"One of my favorite things to learn more about is the Civil War. I visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania often, but always for business. On a recent trip I went to learn something new. I went into the visitor’s center to see the actual museum. I thought more and more about those whom fought on the land I stood on, and all those whom came to visit. I also walked all around the area of Little Round Top, where my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather stood and fought the in the “War of the Rebellion.”

In one word it was simply humbling, to know that millions of people had seen the artifacts. But not only that, the artifacts were made historical, exactly where I was standing. Considerably the greatest battle of the Civil War was fought directly where I was standing. Standing on Little Round Top, in the area that my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather stood, only 148 years apart, was very emotional."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level I Should Have Been in the Movies badge.

"I took my materials and sat down with an old friend of mine. I went through my entire speech and use of my materials for the Beginner Crochet merit badge.

My dear old friend was a great person to use, she told me where I was not speaking clearly, or assuming people knew what I was talking about. She talked about how she liked how I kept my hands open so that she could see the yarn and crochet hook. She also told me to add a "how to hold the hook and yarn" segment to my speech, that way the viewer would be able to follow along better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"My dear husband loves his grandmother’s barbecue sauce. I acquired the recipe from her and made a large batch. I learned how to can it using a boiling water method, allowing it to process for 40 minutes. Another thing I started to crave while pregnant was dill relish. I went to my farmer’s market at the end of the sales day and was able to acquire lots of cucumbers at a great price. I then turned to Google to find a dill relish recipe. I love Mary Jane’s directions for the apple pie filling. They were easy to follow and cooked up deliciously.

The barbecue sauce was a great thing to can, now he has his favorite sauce on hand for burgers to ham barbeque sandwiches. The dill relish came out great and satisfied my craving. The pie filling was never used for pies it went with icecream every night after dinner."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Because I rent, my landlords don’t love me putting holes in the walls. So I purchased a small bookshelf for next to my bed from a local store and put it together myself. I placed all my crafting books and supplies on it. I loved the book Dare to Repair by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-tenet, it helped me replace the showerhead in the bathroom.

The showerhead now works! It is simply amazing not to have water spraying every direction but now actually on my person. Also the shelves are wonderful, I can keep all my supplies hidden but accessible at the same time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I bought a wool sweater at Goodwill. I then felted the sweater, stitched it up into a purse and needle felted my version of Starry, Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. I added beads and Swarovski crystals to the design.

I think it turned out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"I collected over 10 wild flowers from our property. I have collected Daisy Fleabane, Horse-nettle, Wingstem, Queen Anne's Lace, Common ragweed, Lady's Thumb, Tall Ironweed, Spiny-leaved Sow-thistle, Red Clover, and White Clover. I have more being pressed in my flower press that I have not yet added to my album.

I mounted them to card stock, covered them completely with clear contact paper, and placed them in a small photo album. I posted photographs of some of them, and wrote reports on endangered, threatened and poisonous wild flowers on my blog.

This was more interesting than being able to identify the flowers. It helped me identify and locate poisonous ones that needed to be removed, due to farm animals. I double checked my work with the help of a local park district expert.

My kids became interested in wild flowers, after they watched me collect, and write about them. One of my daughters collected a bunch of them and put them in a vase for a colorful bouquet."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  09:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Amanda McGinnis, (#2717) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I got an old jar and put in my buttons, small scissors, safety pins, straight pins, two spools of thread (black & white), and a needle.

I have all my supplies together and it comes in handy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Amanda Cortright, (mandymarie20 #2070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I've made an effort to improve my grammar and spelling. I've kept a journal of dictionary words that are unfamiliar. I wrote out the definition and try to use it at least once that day.

Words learned:

Albumen – noun – the white of an egg
Bobwhite – noun – quail
Catalepsy – noun – a trancelike state of suspended animation
Diurnal – adjective – daily; of, relating to, or occurring in the daytime
Epigraphy – noun – the study of the inscriptions and especially of ancient inscriptions
Frippery – noun – cheap showy finery; pretentious display
Grader – noun – a machine for leveling earth
Hornpipe – noun – a lively folk dance of the British Isles
Incommode – verb – inconvenience; disturb
Jabot – noun – a ruffle worn down the front of a dress or shirt
Kibble – verb – to grind coarsely
Lenitive – adjective – alleviating pain or acrimony
Mommon – noun – material wealth having a debasing influence
Nocuous – adjective – likely to cause injury
Opuscule – noun – a minor work
Palmate or Palmated – adjective – resembling a hand with the fingers spread
Qintar – noun – Albanian penny
Scheelite – noun – a mineral source of tungsten
Testate – adjective – having made a valid will
Ubiquitous – adjective – existing or being everywhere at the same tine
Venial – adjective – capable of being forgiven; excusable
Whet – verb – to sharpen by rubbing against or with a hard substance (as a whetstone); to make keen; stimulate
Xanthippe or Xantippe – noun – shrewish wife of Socrates; an ill-tempered woman
Younker – noun – a young man; a youngster
Zenana – noun – harem; seraglio

I was able to use the word, but it was sometimes difficult to fit it in the conversation. I have a large vocabulary since I read so much, and found it quite difficult to find words I am unfamiliar with. Occasionally, I used a word I knew but don't use regularly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Icing on the Cake badge.

"I have been decorating cakes, cookies, and candies ever since my mother took the Wilton Home Study Course when I was a teenager. Together we learned many of the basic techniques for using decorator bags and tips to add color and design to our goodies. When I began my family years later, my mother passed on her materials to me so that I could continue to build on my skills with each celebration I baked for.

Though I am still no expert, I have learned how to make a cake special with just a few decorating tips and a small amount of time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"Week One: We tried locally made organic garlic cheddar cheese. It’s flavor was so strong but it was so good. Having it on pizza really made it pop with flavor.
Week Two: Our fresh peas have made their appearance. My daughter loved walking over to the vine and taking some right off and eating them as a snack.
Week Three: We went to using some Millet Flour that was ground and grown locally. We found it adds a bit of wonderfulness and flavor when added to a recipe.
Week Four: My dear daughter wanted a candy badly one day, so I purchased some organically grown strawberries that were dehydrated and almost like a fruit snack. I wish I would have purchased more, they were so very good.
Week Five: Our family eats lots of rice so we moved to Basmati Rice that was certified organic. It added a lot of nice flavor to our weekly Chinese food day.
Week Six: We use a lot of buttermilk in our cooking, the problem we had was we would never use enough before it goes bad. We found a product called cultured buttermilk and it was a mix with water, it was at the natural foods store. We were very happy with how the buttermilk mixed up and it was wonderful in our pancakes and waffles.
Week Seven: We wanted to try a new type of flour, so we purchased some freshly ground Millet Flour. We fell absolutely head over heals for it, it made the most interesting tasting bread ever. The bread was a bit thick.
Week Eight: Our breads have been thick lately and I found how to make my own dough enhancer. I went down to the organic store and found all the ingredients needed to make it. Since the introduction of it our bread rises much better and is less dense inside.

Every week was a learning experience and I was very happy to end it all with a new baby."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I love the civil war, so when I came across an article about the Southern sympathizer aprons that landed some women in jail in the city of Baltimore, I had to make one. I started my research, the requirements were the correct number of stars and it also had to have 2 red stripes on either side of a white stripe.

It is one of my favorite things to wear to work. I love the design of it, and I had to make a dress to match it. I was glad to wear it on my first night back to work in Gettysburg."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"I love the Civil War Era, I live and work around it. Since buttons are terribly expensive from that era I had to keep myself and purchase good reproductions. The main types of buttons were medal, which consisted of poured or molded, stamped or even pounded, then the wood buttons were carved, porcelain were molded and fired, some even painted, the last were shell buttons carved from natural seashells, they were by far the most colorful.

My collection of buttons has now grown and I have such quantities that when making period correct items, I am never without the correct button. One simply cannot make a darted bodice semi-sheer gown with a bishop sleeve with big heavy metal buttons, or either the porcelain buttons. That is why the wood works wonderfully, they are not too heavy but still have the presence that is needed. Or if I have made a simple homespun classic dress the simplest stamped metal work the best."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I do papercraft cards and journals and embroidery and I have done many projects in which I have drawn images. I have used crayons, colored pencils, transfer pens, scrapbooking pens, sketch pencils, paints, etc.

I have transferred all of my merit badges to muslin, using the lightbox technique and embroidered all of them. I just recently have done that with my CIVIC HERITAGE, ICING ON THE CAKE and CROSS-STITCH badges. The photo is of my sketchbook made of handmade paper. These are my new, fresh sketches in colored pencil of my favorite flowers: peonies, pansies, Colorado columbines. I will use these in my papercraft projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have replaced all cleaning products in my home with green alternatives and don't allow any new products in unless they are green. My mission statement is, "Our home is our sanctuary. Only products that enhance our space, are healthy for my family and the earth will be invited in."

I love it! I only use green products and I feel great about my home!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"We did a green cleaning supplies project for our Farmgirl chapter last October. We made laundry detergent (I was in charge of teaching that one and getting all the supplies), all-purpose cleaner, fabric softener and soft scrub.

It was great! I loved all of the cleaners. Though I still sometimes buy a all-purpose cleaner, I sill make my laundry detergent! Nothing is better than vinegar for fabric softener!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I used to have only a handful of bags and I ALWAYS forgot them. I had no idea how I would ever remember to bring them. Then finally I got a bunch of bags and left them in my trunk. Occasionally, I still forgot them, but then it was just running out to the car.

I now am the bag queen! My kids have been known to ditch paper bags in the car rather than walk in the house with a non-reusable bag. I would rather carry the items in my arms, than take a plastic bag from the store. Nothing peeves me more than when the baggers try to put an item in a plastic bag and then put it in my reusable bag because the item is glass."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I helped my husband build a wooden bridge, using a table saw and drill. He guided me, giving me instructions on measuring, cutting and drilling the screws.

A co-worker to my husband tore down his wood house deck. He gave us the wood, and we recycled it into a bridge to go over our crick. Now we can get the mower over it to mow, and pick fruit from the fruit trees on that side. Prior to building the bridge we had to drive the mower onto the highway to get to that area. It's much safer to get to now, and we may had sides to the bridge, along with flower boxes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I use all products that I either make myself or purchase that are green. A recent fave came from Whole Foods and smells lovely! I also purchased a steam cleaner to clean my floors - just water to clean!

I couldn't be happier! My house is clean and I don't worry about toxins."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Mooney, (3littlebrds, #1766) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"We had a chapter meeting all about drying herbs and we made several of the spice batches.

I loved it. I had no idea that I could use my dehydrator for drying herbs! And I made lovely jars of herbs to give as gifts!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I am not a big beef lover, however, the information I read on the www.eatwild.com was applicable for other meats I do eat. I am amazed at how much good there is in grass fed meats compared to the alternatives.

I will be checking out our local farmer's market this weekend for grassfed farmers to purchase from."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginning and intermediate level Icing on the Cake badge.

"I wanted to bake a cake for my anniversary. I made a vanilla cake with chocolate fudge in the middle. Using my writing tip I wrote, "Happy Anniversary". I kept a piece of wax paper close to do some trial and error but I soon got the hang of it. I then used another tip to make the borders. I then added stars around the sides of the cake using the star tip. I made my own frosting using a Better Homes and Garden recipe and colored it with two different colors. I now keep all my cake decorating supplies in one basket in my cabinet, always at arms reach.

My husband was very surprised the next day and couldn’t believe that I had decorated it all myself. I cannot wait until Halloween to experiment with a pumpkin cake."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page