Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  2:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased a reusable shopping bag whenever I went to get groceries. I have about half dozen now and I use them when I go to the store.

The bags are very sturdy and handy. I keep them in the back of my car and take them with me when I get groceries. They are also very pretty and can be used for carrying other items back and forth to other places also."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I repainted my out-dated guest bathroom. It had wallpaper so I had a bit of a challenge getting started. I did a faux-finish with a piece of wool with two colors, olive green and cream.

I read "Dare to Repair". It was very interesting and I actually learned a lot!

The bathroom turned out great! I have had lots of compliments on it. Now I need to update the lighting.

I thought it was interesting to find out that a refigerator is designed to tilt backward so the doors will close easily. I will try my best to tackle the job of repairing the next thing that needs fixing myself. I'm still a little afraid of electricity though."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I went online and found recipes for home made cleaning products. I also found a local woman who makes an organic cleaner I like.

Baking soda and vinegar covers a multitude of cleaning woes!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I participated in the bag swap this summer.

I enjoyed making a bag to send and receiving one in return."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Recently my elderly parents moved from PA to NY, just up the street from me. I helped them clean the new house, move their belongings. I also helped my mom create a sewing room - something she has never had. We have shared meals at least twice a week since. Mom cooks on Monday (my late day at work) and I cook on Thursday.

I'm so thrilled to be able to help and be near my parents. BTW - my mom loves the MaryJane's magazines. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I pledge to continue to only use green cleaners in my home. They make my husband, myself, and my puppies happy and healthy.
Being an herbalist, I have gotten rid of all of my "dirty cleaners" and have spread the message of green cleaners to all of my customers and friends. I especially love Seventh Generations line. They are easy to find and affordable and you can order them online in bulk.
I have also recently started a green idea book. I have taken a photo album and inserted clear sheet protectors. In each sleeve, I put newspaper, magazine, and internet articles that always give me great ideas.

It's funny that you said to make a housewarming basket of green products as a gift, I just did that for a girlfriend who was having a new baby!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I love picking up the newest copies of Urban Farm, Mother Earth News, and Mary Jane's Farm. I clip out all of the great ideas and put them in my green journal. I have found several great ways to decorate "green" like using soy based candles, buying live plants instead of cut flowers, recovering my throw pillows instead of buying new ones, buying accent items at thrift stores, and using low VOC paint. I just made a cute coffee table for my porch out of an old pallet that I painted green and put castors on the bottom and I am always on the lookout for vintage fabric that I use for everything from my curtains to pillows, table runners, napkins, placemats ect..

My home looks eclectic and fun and I just love how different it is from everyone else I know!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It Pretty badge.

"I used the light box/window idea in Mary Janes idea book to transfer my merit badge onto a piece of muslin.

It turned out great!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I decided to make a bunch of bags to use while shopping. I have fun and wild ones and boring ones I have picked up along the way. My favorites have the tinfoil like inside so it keeps food either cold or warm.

I use them most of the time ( I have about 8), except the times I leave them in the car and remember when I am in the check out line..."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My daughters school hatched chickens from eggs and we received them. One was a rooster so he had to go, but we ended up with 4 sweet girls.

Well, they have decided that they may want to eat each others eggs, other than that, good. We have had rats, egg issues, molting, flys, and some awesome fresh eggs and a good laugh when the girls decided to give the chickens a bath!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I decided that I needed some new aprons as I help in my daughters lunch room and I want to have some fun.

I love the bright colors, I am hoping that these will bring some smiles :) My girls helped my iron on some designs as well and I uses those aprons as half aprons.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:40:21 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"For my next challenge I decided to make myself a sweater/poncho. It would be a first in following a magazines instructions. I have already taught my girls how to crochet so they were great at trying it on as I was making it. My friend also kept me company and said I was crazy to do something so elaborate and she would stick to knitting thank you.

It turned out awesome, it just fits my oldest daughter way better than me. So, as many of my outfits go, it is now in her closet and not mine..."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"Since I already now how to quilt, I decided to go back and do something simple, easier said than done!

I am so used to not using a pattern or keeping it simple, it was hard to not go off the grid so much :). As it is, In think it turned into rather a cute little baby quilt. I also decided to machine quilt it ( I am usually a hand quilter)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  11:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"While my mother was in the hospital last month, I found myself with nothing to do. I took a trip to the local Michaels craft store and purchased a "teach yourself to crochet" kit. I made quite a few things but my scarves were my favorite.

Living in Florida does not give me many opportunities to wear my creations but when I can, I will wear them with pride.:) I also taught my customer (a 12 year old girl named Freedom) how to crochet plastic bags using a single stich. We made a small change purse and used a bottle cap as a closure. It took a while to get her to figure out the chain stich but with some practice, she was moving right along."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  12:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Anneke Penn, (annekepenn, #3391) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"We raise and sell local, unprocessed honey in our traditional herb shop. We have 4 hives that we tend and collect pollen, propolis, and comb honey. I have read "the secret life of bees" but must say that the audio book is fantastic!!!! It is narrated by a young girl and is one of the best I have ever listened to.

I watched, and plan on ordering a copy of vanishing bees.
Everyday people ask me about how they are doing, and this would be a great video to have playing in my store to really show everyone what is happenning. Can't wait to get it!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I decided I needed a new kitchen rug and I wanted it in my colors and to match my kitchen. I needed something new to teach at the local quilt store, so I decided to pick up locker hooking.

It was easier than I thought, though I did manage to bend my hook!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  1:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Nellie Will-do badge.

"For the next rug hook project, I let the kids at school make designs and I turned them into a rug for them to sell at their auction.

It was a lot of fun to do and the kids were amazed at how their drawings turned out. It brought in over $300 for their auction as well." :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I decided to try a hand at simple rug hooking (not latch or locker hooking, just rug hooking on burlap). Wool was too expensive for my check book this summer so I used felt squares at 30 cents each, awesome.

I discovered after sore hands and most of the summer gone, that my locker hook works awesome at rug hooking. I had been making do with a taped down latch hook. It is my little garden troll."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen, (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I searched around in my sewing basket and jewelry box for buttons, hoping that I had at least 50 buttons from leftover projects. I found that I had over 100 buttons and I have started my button jar!

I can't wait to earn my Intermediate badge for buttoned up! Its going to be so much fun. I am going to decorate my jar with ribbon and lace. It is an old canning jar and looks adorable with all the buttons in it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"The book "Woe Is I" is one I plowed through rather than reading, but I did pick up some tips on things that had been bugging me. It is well written, but since I flunked every grammar test I ever took, it wasn't exactly a pleasure to read. I was blessed to have well educated and well read parents who spoke almost impeccable English so I never learned it incorrectly in the first place.

I always go by what sounds right to my ear and luckily, 99% of the time I am right. So when test questions asked "What is wrong with this sentence?" my answer always was, "It doesn't sound right." Of course, that's not what the teacher wanted.

Thankfully, I've always done well in English classes because I love writing and have posted way more than 10 posts to this forum. Hopefully, they have all included excellent grammar and spelling. (Thanks, Spellcheck!)

I've been discovering new words for another two weeks, mostly from my Master Gardening class, which are all new to me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Eileen Eckhardt, (ellimae, #3384) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have many books on greening the house and for a long time have made my own wash soap out of Fels-Naptha soap, it is called Mrs. Hedgewitches and I give it to everyone who will take it.

My clothes are clean and my whites are white, need I say more? I have saved so much money because my soap only costs 3 cents per large load. Wanna buy some?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"This quilt was a new method for me, based on 4 patch posie pattern. It is on the same idea as stack-n-wack, but easier. I choose fabric that was not my comfort colors - to try something different. I also quilt weekly with a group of 8 women and have for about 9 years.

I'm still not in love with the color scheme. Putting the blocks together was really fun, deciding which way to place them. It is all finished and will be for my neice for Christmas. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Mistianne Guzman, (mirly, #3262) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I wanted to somehow use all the plastic bags I have in my house so I decided to make a rug.
I made the design that represents my girls school so that they could use it in their entryway. It took longer to make using the bags, but again it was free!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Matthews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I earned this merit badge by continuing to try at least one new organic food each week for an additional 2 months, well actually 11 weeks. The first month I spent at Biggest Loser's Fitness Ridge in Utah and had new organic foods almost daily. When I got home I continued to try new foods and now we eat almost entirely organic. My family is loving all the variety and I have lost over 55 lbs. See my blog and check out how I started losing all my weight the healthy way at www.biggestloserbound.blogspot.com

It has been a great change going from processed to organic. We all feel better and my husband and I have lost weight. Our kids eat healthy and don't have any problems with it. It's so nice to know they aren't addicted to processed or fast foods."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  3:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Matthews, (thethankfulgoat, #3383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit with thread, buttons, scissors, needles, straight pins, safety pins, and lots more. I had a professor's wife in college give me a beautiful sewing basket with a floral quilted fabric top that opens from both sides. On the inside of each hinged top piece is a pin cushion attached for pins and needles.

I have used this sewing kit for over 13 years and just love it. When I get it out, I always think of the wonderful projects I have made throughout the years."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page