Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron instead of the half apron because Murphy's Law says the mess will land where the apron isn't!

I picked up the fabric at a garage sale a few years ago and I used Simplicity pattern #2555 with some changes. The flowers were woven onto the fabric where all these potential loose strings on the back were which I thought could get hung up on a drawer pull, so I lined the back of it in yellow. It's a pretty heavy duty apron!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"When this badge was first mentioned I was very excited. I was completing a trilogy at the time. For this badge I wrote a three page synopsis of the first novel and sent it to several other writers for their critique. Once they returned it I started to submit it to agents. I have also read Strunk and White.

I've been writing since I was ten and though I've only had one hit from agents I was satisfied with the synopsis and will continue to send it out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Ink Slinger badge.

"I went back to my bookshelf and pulled out two writing books at random. It had been years since I had read any of them, so this was a good time to reread and remember some of the hints there. I read two books in the Writer's Digest Book Series-"Characters and Viewpoint" and "Dialogue". As for genre, I'm a fantasy writer all the way.

This was very helpful as I move out of the world I had been writing in for so long into a new one with new characters that I have to discover. I especially like the "Dialogue" book and recommend it to anyone."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Caron VanSlyke, (Caron, #254) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"I believe I have qualified for a expert badge in the Civic heritage category.
1. I have researched my ancestors and shared that information with others in a reenactor group I am in.
2. I have presented a speech on women in the Civil War to a class of future teachers at our local college.
3. And I am an active civil war reenactor, portraying what it was like for women as the men went off to battle. I have portrayed both a middle class lady who has come to visit her husband as he is camped for the winter, as well as a more working-class impression (that's when we get to cook over the campfire and wash dishes or clothes in a washtub! LOL!). I have participated in these reenactments in a town setting as well as in the field setting. We have used historic buildings (when allowed) for our presentations as well.

In November 2010 I met with several Farmgirls during a reenactment and they got to look at my camp display as well as the reenactment as a whole. It was a fun get-together that we plan to do again this year.
I am still learning about this part of our American history, it was a fascinating and horrible time in our nation. I expect my knowledge and performace in reenacting to continue to grow. It turned out great, and I am continuing to work in the living history hobby."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Jody Andrews, (#3346) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I primitively stitched a design on muslin and then tea stained it for the "primitive look" that I love. I stuffed it and had my new 'pinkeep'. I then gathered some thread, pins & needles, buttons and scissors together and put them in a basket for my daughter Mable to have handy.

The pinkeep turned out really cute. The straight stitch I used and the tea staining made it look super old. I love anything primitive."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:14:45 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"I researched buttons from the Revolutionary War and the Civil War and found that most buttons used in the military during those times were made of metal, called "fire-gilt" and stamped with all sorts of things. Regimental insignia, state seals, and school crests being common. They mostly fit into one of three categories: the one-piece button, the two-piece button and the staff button.

These types of buttons have been found in many places in the North and South where the battles of both wars were fought and are collector's items today. I have collected ten buttons (none of the above types though) and have ones made of metal, wood, plastic, leather and maybe rubber, I'm not sure of that. I have not been able to find one made of china. I've enclosed a picture of the group."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"I belong to the Farmgirl Chapter in Cumming, GA and we have a Henhouse where we meet on the second Saturday of the month. I have talked there about being green in all aspects of life, including decorating one's house.

We have discussed VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) which are off-gassed by carpets and furniture, especially particle board pieces, and the "new car smell" which is nothing but VOCs. I do not have carpets in my house because of this and as furniture in my house needs to be replaced, I will buy only solid pieces, not particle board."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Build It Green badge.

"From July 28-July 31 I was blessed to participate in a rebuilding of the barn belonging to the Build An Ark Animal Rescue, which was done by the New York Says Thank You Foundation, in honor of the 10th anniversary of 9/11. People from all over the country from former builds of this program came to volunteer their time, including firefighters from NY city who survived the tragedy.

We built the walls back on the concrete slab, built benches for an outdoor amphi-theater and picnic tables out of the wood from the downed trees (the barn was destroyed by a rogue tornado in April.) We got new stalls built for the animals with doors that swing open and got half of the building roofed. We were slowed down by rain, but got a lot accomplished .I used the skills I learned here to install built-in shelves in a closet in my house."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level In The Garden badge.

"The garden gate I made is in the electrified barbed wire of the fence surrounding the bee hive that I just got. I don't have the bees just yet (they are coming soon,) but we put up the fence because we have problems with bears where I live. It is utilitarian, but it is a gate nonetheless.

Last year for the winter, I made a hoop house to cover my Earth boxes where I had planted winter crops like broccoli, chard, lettuce, etc. I use PVC pipes covered with 4 mil plastic but we have had horrible winds coming across the valley. This past winter was so brutal for us that nothing survived but one chard plant. I'll have to try something different for this coming winter, maybe an actual cold frame instead of hoops."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  4:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Since our diversification into lavender, it will also be part of the orchard sales, it is a little easier on the legal side. The biggest step will be handling the culinary lavender and many times processing that can require a certified kitchen. We don't have one, but there are several in the area that rent them out for use. I also attended the first annual Lavender festival in Western Colorado and there was a lot of good information presented. My next step is to join the Association they have here.

We did get the lavender in the ground this spring, so now it is waiting time. Our first harvest was more of a pruning, which gave me the practice of harvesting and hanging the dozen bundles to dry. I'm very excited."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  4:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Alexia Gordon, (drlex1995, #3303) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I gathered sewing supplies: straight pins, safety pins, needles, scissors, buttons, thread, tape measure, needle threader, thimble. Then I found containers to hold them. I tried to re-use things that might otherwise have been thrown away. I found a small plastic box that would hold several buttons. I decorated the box lid with a scrap cut from a paint brochure that I’d picked up for free at a home improvement store and with a flower-shaped button. I used an old candy truffle box to hold my thimble and needle threader. I decorated the candy box with scraps of origami paper and more scraps cut from the paint brochure. I used a cardboard box that once held a small Chinese fan to hold the straight pins and a plastic container that had been handed out as a freebie at a health fair (it was meant to store condoms) to hold the safety pins. I made a needle book from scraps of wool felt. I embroidered a tree on the cover, after a pattern in a crewel embroidery book. To make a pin keeper, I used a pair of old underwear. I cut a piece of fabric from the panties, pin basted it to tear away stabilizer, and embroidered a tree so that it would coordinate with the needle book. I stuffed it with wool roving that I’d bought years ago at the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, VA (the wool is from sheep on their farm) “just in case” I might find some use for it one day. I used an old metal gelatin mold that I got at a junk shop for the base and I glued the stuffed top into the base. I found a pretty gift box with a hinged lid at a crafts store and stored everything in the gift box.

It turned out nicely."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Praught, (meshako, #3074) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good To Your Mother Earth badge.

"I've have a vegetable garden for years, and for the past few years I've garden organically. I have a neighbor who gardens but not organically, so I gave her my recipe for an organic bug spray, and some other organic information. Although it took me a while to read it, I read, "Montrose; life in a garden".

This year my vegetable garden sufferd from the heat. My own bug spray from garlic, jalapinios,and water works really good. I use horse, cow, and chiken manure for fertilizer and thet works great.Now my neighbor gardens more organically. The book was veary inspiring."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I currently live on a few acres of what used to be our family farm. I was born here and raised on this family farm. I haven't always lived here, having gone away for college where I met my husband and we lived in Arizona for a few years. But we moved back to this very spot about 35 years ago and I was never disconnected from my roots here in this community. Ancient inhabitants of this area were the Anasazi and I am very familiar with the way they lived. I am also very familiar with many of the farm and/or ranch families that have been in this area for several generations and how they made this area there home, how they worked the land, the obstacles they encountered and such like.

This is a small rural farming/ranching community and there is only a very small museum display in one room of our library which I have visited many times. To further educate us about the local Anasazi culture we have the Anasazi Heritage Center just a few miles away and I visit there frequently. There are always new additions to the museum displays as more ruin discoveries such as pottery, and other artifacts are discovered. I am part of one of the families who made this farming community what it is, I am acquainted with many other long-time residents and pioneer families. There are many opportunities to visit with these folks and recount stories. A frequent gathering place is our local Farmers Market where many folks know my family and knew my dad as one of the local farmers and orchard men. Frequent conversations take place remembering my mother and her piano students and her gift for raising a phenomenal garden. Conversations take place about how the community was built. It still takes place!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Steimer, (Gingerskeeper, #3266) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found six bags that I now routinely use in my shopping trips. They are cloth bags that I purchased from my local grocery store. I love using these and know that I am saving several plastic bags. In addition to being "green", some advantages to using these cloth bags are that they hold more groceries than paper or plastic, and they are easier to carry in from the car.

I love this change, and will continue to use these bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I learned how to cross-stitch about 40 years ago, when my children were babies and youngsters at home before they started school. I cross-stitched beginner, intermediate and advanced projects that were for my home, for friends and family and other gifts.

Cross-stitch is a very satisfied stitchery craft for me and I enjoy it immensely. I started teaching this craft to my daughter as well. This photo is of some of the simpler projects I have completed . . and I've completed many others similiar to these. I have completed several guest and/or hand towels for gifts in the last year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I have learned to cross-stitch on many fabrics, including aida cloth, burlap, linen, cotton and cotton blends as well as duck and canvas. In the process of learning better skills I learned how to design a pattern, count stitches and finish many projects such as kitchen towels, hand towels, clothing items and linens.

Over the years I have completed dozens of cross-stitch projects of every description. Just recently a rectangular linen tablecloth and this summer, I was able to further guide my daughter in cross-stitch skills."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Steimer, (Gingerskeeper, #3266) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I went to the library and checked out the book, "The Complete Guide to Eco-Friendly House Cleaning" by by Anne B. Kocsis. The book offers really simple solutions to keeping your home chemical free and clean. I was so amazed at the scary effects something as simple as dryer sheets could have on my family. I didn't make any of the cleaners recommended in the book. It seemed that having lots and lots of vinegar is an absolute necessity when it comes to cleaning your home, and I plan to do that for another Merit Badge! I did, however, discover a new line of products I absolutely LOVE! Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products have changed the way I clean.

I think that part of the reason I used to dread cleaning was because I didn't like the smell of the cleaners. I always felt guilty about using these chemical-laden products, but I didn't think that the eco-friendly products would make my home truly clean. Mrs. Meyers' products cleaned just as well or better that what I had been using before. As an added bonus, I felt comfortable having my one year old in the same room with me as I cleaned. I didn't have to worry about whether or not the fumes were going to hurt her. I think I may have become addicted to buying these cleaning products, though. I have the dryer sheets, laundry detergent, surface wipes, counter spray, toilet cleaner, and sink cleaner. They are relatively inexpensive, but I'm sure I will save lots more money when I actually make some cleaners myself."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"When I was in the military I used to always have a med bag in my car. It recently occurred to me I don't have that anymore! So I put together a little first aid kit with simple things like bandages, Benadryl, ziplock baggies, and the such to keep in my car.

Good thing I did it! My daughter got a little boo-boo at a store one day and needed her special ban-bans (bandages)!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"When I was recently at my mom's house I raided her button stash I played with as a child.

I brought them home and put them in my favorite blue Ball jars. So pretty on my crafting desk!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet and wear it proudly.

It was a fabulous project to do with my girls. We had a great time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Alexia Gordon, (drlex1995, #3303) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I hand pieced and hand quilted a doll quilt. I used scraps of fabric from my scrap basket and adapted a pattern that I found in Color Mastery: 10 Principles for Creating Stunning Quilts.

It turned out well. I entered the quilt in the state fair in the miniature class."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Marlene Cryar, (Marlee, #3127) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I learned to sew from my mother so there were always buttons around. When my grandmother died my mother got them. When my mother died in January 2011 my sister and I divided them up because we just couldn't part with them. So there are lot of buttons in canning jars, in my craft room.

I use them for crafts, scrapbooking, wrapping presents for whatever occasion. I wouldnt know what to do if I didn't have buttons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Montana Baker, (Farmarette of Kyria Baker, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand To Families badge.

"My daughter, Montana, has spent all summer helping her grandmother with all kinds of chores-gardening, mowing, cleaning, animals, etc.

They've had a huge harvest of purple hull peas, watermelon, and many other vegetables."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Montana Baker, (Farmarette of Kyria Baker, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Lend a Hand To Families badge.

"Montana visited my sister, her aunt and family, for almost two weeks. Her cousin who is her age, is sick, so Montana helped with the farm chores.

She milked goats and fed and cared for other animals like rabbits, chickens, etc. She also kept her cousin in good spirits! Montana also brought a supply of gluten free food with her to share."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Mary Fitzpatrick, (#3232) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"When my youngest daughter was in Kindergarten I saw a article in a magazine about a woman who saved sporting event t-shirts from her sons teams through school and made him a quilt when he graduated from college. I knew that I wanted to do that for my youngest daughter. Not having really sewed a lot back then I decided I would save the tee shirts and figure it out later. I was a busy mom, working full time and having 5 kids... well you can imagine. Well, this year she graduated and she was gifted a big quilt that I painstakingly cut, sewed and pieced together with love. On it were her girlscouting t- shirts, school t- shirts, soccer, softball and trip shirts as well. I hand tied the quilt together with her school colors think yarn and stitched a border to match. The back of the quilt matched the front... meaning the front of the quilt and the back of the quilt were of the same shirt. Each tee shirt piece had to sewn onto muslin for stability before it could be sewn onto the strips, then quilted in layers with warm N natural in the middle. I even embroidered a very special poem on one blank square... a poem about the butterfly leaving the cacoon. She cried, and so did I. I Just gave it to her for her 18th birthday and she starts college this week. The quilt took me 3 months to make, working on it daily for approx 3-4 hours give or take. This year, my youngest son graduates from highschool and I'll be making him one as well.

It looks amazing, it's large and thick and has lots of durability with all the hand stitching that I did. I have to say that with the thoughtfull plannning and not rushing the project, I am happy. She tells me that she will cherish it forever."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page